• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview thread: Will! (Last complete update: Cyphus)

D0N

Smash Ace
I'll make the update later, but we're moving on. Thanks for doing your part so well Cyphus, it really was a good read. PM me a picture if you want one in the update.

Next, give a warm welcome to a man we rarely see on these boards who is coming out of retirement. Will he rise to the top yet again? We'll see soon enough. Up next is Bum

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I vote Will next for interviewing. >:D

@ Bum

Why'd you choose DK over the others when you first started your Smash career?

Have you mained anyone else besides DK at one point? If so, who?

What are you 3 most hated or your 3 toughest match-ups?

What are your 3 favorite moves with DK?

If you could change one move or change one thing about DK, what would it be and why?

daisho

Smash Lord
How does it feel to be back playing brawl? Also, why do you think you're not playing as well as you were before?

Why'd you stop in the first place?

What do you think of the NJ/NY DKs? Rankings?

Who do you like better, Melee or Brawl DK?

Do you normally read the DK boards?

What do you think more DKs need to do?

What do you think of the TL matchup? Any advice on it?

D0N

Smash Ace
I DO know how to organise stuff people. I already asked if he would like an interview before this one started and he said yes, otherwise we would not be asking him questions. Don't doubt me. The only difference is he is going to be pmed the questions most likely, which was always an option at the begining.

So stop spaming doubt and spam questions

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
oh excuse me.
You are excused.

I DO know how to organise stuff people. I already asked if he would like an interview before this one started and he said yes, otherwise we would not be asking him questions. Don't doubt me. The only difference is he is going to be pmed the questions most likely, which was always an option at the begining.

So stop spaming doubt and spam questions
U mad?

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Yo, Hino, it's his thread so quit trollin'.

Here are some questions...

Some cynics have things to say, like "DK isn't tournament viable". In your view, what is DK's tournament viability?

Where is DK's Metagame at? What do you see as untapped potential right now (moves, tech, etc)?

How do you deal with MetaKnights? How do you deal with Dededes?

What is DK's greatest strength and weakness?

What mistakes do you see (or make) that hurt DK players the most?

crifer

Smash Lord
dealing with mk´s is somehow my biggest problem, especially on wifi,
do have any suggests or can you say which of DK´s moves beat mk´s?

D0N

Smash Ace
Any more last questions for me me to send? post em soon. i'm kinda in the middle of exams so it may be awhile for I update, but ill still try to get the questions answered soon.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what was it like getting 4th at an MLG and proving that DK was mid tier and not bottom tier material?

Why have you been so inactive?

melee or brawl DK?

pound 4?

NatP

Smash Ace
Do you still melee every once in a while or are you all brawl now?

How do you handle the DDD matchup?

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Why don't you travel as far or as often as other bigger name players? (applies for both Brawl & Melee)

Do you feel that the reduced level of travel hurts your placing in tournaments and/or growth as a player?

Do you believe King Dedede's standing infinite should be banned in the official SBR ruleset? (excluding as much DK bias as possible)

What makes you feel that it definitely should or should not be?

Do you think DK is underrated in Brawl? (He has fallen in the past two tier lists, but plenty of DK players still place well using him)

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright guys, Thats enough for BUM. Next up is Will :)!

He may get longer than a week cuz I need to do updates for Cyphus & Bum + i'm busy and stuff, but we'll see. I'll still post something to let everyone know the interview is almost over.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Why'd you choose DK over the other characters?

When'd you start playing Smash Series, and did you choose DK from the start?

Do you have a secondary, if so who?

Have you ever mained someone else besides DK at some point?

How are you so good?

What are your top 5 favorite match-ups?

What are your 3 worst match-ups?

Do you ever use wifi or do you only play offline?

What was your most fun/most memorable tournament?

Yo, Hino, it's his thread so quit trollin'.
I lol'd. D0N's doing a great job, I meant that as a joke.

D0N

Smash Ace
Updated for Cyphus

@ Will (pm me a picture of you if you want one of you when I make your update)

1) If you could speak to any 1 animal, what would it be?

2) Do you feel you have alot of room for improvement?

3) What do you think of n-air? Find many uses for it?

Tujex

Smash Ace
Man...I don't have any questions right now, but I actually love this thread idea. Did someone copy this or was it an original, so we can see how many people copy our idea, lol.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
1) Why'd you choose DK over the other characters?

2) When'd you start playing Smash Series, and did you choose DK from the start?

3) Do you have a secondary, if so who?

4) Have you ever mained someone else besides DK at some point?

5) How are you so good?

6) What are your top 5 favorite match-ups?

7) What are your 3 worst match-ups?

8) Do you ever use wifi or do you only play offline?

9) What was your most fun/most memorable tournament?
1) I initially chose DK because I saw one of my fellow smashers using him (I had mained Zelda when Brawl first came out LOL), and noticed that with proper DI, DK could consistently live until past 200%. Longevity is very important to me, as I play with a very aggressive style.

2) I had been playing since Smash 64, started getting more seriously into it after Melee, but never really hit the competitive scene until Brawl came out. I was good at Melee, but never went to tournaments until the release of Brawl, so I have a lot to thank this new generation of smash for. I now attend tournaments for both Brawl and Melee, and I main Captain Falcon in Melee (switched over from Sheik bc she is way too gay lol) and have always mained DK ever since I was inspired by one of my friends.

3) I guess you can say my secondary is Game and Watch, but he barely ever sees the light of day in tournament. There was a time where I would CP him when I would have to fight King Dedede, but I feel more comfortable sticking with DK nowadays.

4) Haha yeah I mained Zelda when everybody thought she was OP and Din's fire was broken xD But that was maybe like, the first month or so that Brawl came out lol.

5) Lol I am not actually as good as everybody thinks, I just have my days where I am on fire and they just happened to be caught on video, and a few good tournament results. I have a long way to go before proving myself as a consistently good DK. =x

6) My top 5 favorite matchups would have to be Snake, Marth, Falco, MK, and IC's. I tend to very well against them, but fighting Snake is like, a DK's dream come true in tournament imo =)

7) My three worst matchups, personally, are definitely King Dedede, Diddy Kong, and Olimar. They are all capable of camping and in the case of Olimar, just not so fun to play against when all they are doing is throwing pikmin, rolling to the other side of the stage, and throwing more pikmin (insert pivot grabs and c stick smashes in between) @_@

8) I was actually thinking about playing more wifi, just started playing on the wifi ladder for the first time and I am currently 3-0 ^_^ I'm thinking that there is something about wifi that can improve my patience, since I am very aggressive by nature in smash. Other than that, I have always played offline only.

9) My most fun and memorable tournament was definitely The Gauntlet in NYC where I played ADHD and took him to round 3. It was definitely the most hype that I have ever experience at a tournament- everybody was literally screaming every time I landed a hit on him. And for some reason I was landing a lot of charged f-smashes so it was pretty epic xD

At the end of the match, everyone crowded around me and was cheering my name haha, I'm not sure how much I deserved it but that boosted my confidence 10 fold and I have been doing better in tournaments ever since then.

Updated for Cyphus

@ Will (pm me a picture of you if you want one of you when I make your update)

1) If you could speak to any 1 animal, what would it be?

2) Do you feel you have alot of room for improvement?

3) What do you think of n-air? Find many uses for it?
1) Hmm, I think I would probably want to speak with dolphins since they are supposedly extremely intelligent and could inform me of many undiscovered phenomena of the depths that humans have been unable to uncover themselves. Plus it would just be cool to talk to and be friends with a dolphin. LOL

2) Definitely, with all the new tricks that keep coming out for DK mains I am always going to have lots of new things to learn in order to become more well rounded. The biggest thing I have to work on is my consistency imo.

3) I used to avoid using this move altogether, but lately I found out how much of a mistake that was. Offstage n-air is a godsend for gimping, because it can either stage spike or set up for up-b/b-air gimps. On the stage, it is great as a mixup, eats through airdodges and if nothing else, is the move of choice for DK to refresh his moves with. lol

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i hear there is some awesome rob main u play against often and it helped improved your game what is this guys name (on smashboards and tag) and how did he get to be so awesome

hey will on a scale 1-10 how annoying can fighting my rob get?

u seem so good at fighting snake were did u learn how to fight him so well

when did u discover nair was useful

i did tell u i was going to do this
:)

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
1)Are you a fan of SC? (soul calibur, but **** starcraft is good too :))

2)Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you saying you played green DK? Is there a reason why? Is it because you resemble the hulk IRL?

3) Did ADHD stand when you played against him?

4)What do you think of fighting warios?

1) Hmm, I think I would probably want to speak with dolphins since they are supposedly extremely intelligent and could inform me of many undiscovered phenomena of the depths that humans have been unable to uncover themselves. Plus it would just be cool to talk to and be friends with a dolphin. LOL
They'd probably say something back like "So long, and thanks for all the fish".

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
i hear there is some awesome rob main u play against often and it helped improved your game

1) what is this guys name (on smashboards and tag) and how did he get to be so awesome

2) hey will on a scale 1-10 how annoying can fighting my rob get?

3) u seem so good at fighting snake were did u learn how to fight him so well

4) when did u discover nair was useful

i did tell u i was going to do this
:)
1) Lol you self centered jerk. You go by Glass Joe and you got good by playing me all the time lmao j/k.

2) At times when my powershielding isn't spot on, fighting your R.O.B. is at least an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Camping is just cowardly. ;p

3) I came up with a lot of juggle traps on Snake that work pretty well, and tested them all out on you. These primarily include cargo (jump) up throw > double jumping and baiting the air dodge > up-air/b-air/punch.

4) For some reason, while fighting Glass Joe's R.O.B., I realized how good n-air and dash attack were in particular situations (n-air offstage against R.O.B. and dash attack when he is falling toward the edge or getting up from the edge). Thanks to you I now use DK's entire move set haha.

1) Are you a fan of SC? (soul calibur, but **** starcraft is good too :))

2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you saying you played green DK? Is there a reason why? Is it because you resemble the hulk IRL?

3) Did ADHD stand when you played against him?

4) What do you think of fighting warios?
1) I LOVE Soul Calibur =) My mains in Soul Calibur 2 are Mitsurugi and Cervantes, predominantly Cervantes though. Glad to see you found the correlation there haha. My favorite SC was definitely the original for Dreamcast though, that was the absolute perfect version of SC imo.

2) I always used to use Black DK, then I thought it was time for a change so I switched it up after realizing how well Green DK goes with my current avatar. Lol I'm not that built of a guy, check out my pic when DON posts it up ;p

3) Yeah, ADHD was standing when he played me in tournament. I've been told that he sits down when he is sandbagging against someone- but our sets were legit, he wasn't gonna sandbag on me haha.

4) I honestly haven't had too much trouble with Wario recently, the air release up-smash on him is just so good and such an auto kill that you don't have to worry about landing that KO move. The chain grab however, frightens me a little, but to this day I have never played a decent enough Wario in tournament who has been able to use it on me. As of right now though I don't mind that matchup.

Vinnie

Smash Master
ME ME ME

1. What did it feel like getting 3rd and 1st in singles and doubles respectively, at Bum's tourney?
2. What's your mindset when you go to a tourney? Do you make yourself think you're going to win, or do you just let whatever happens, happen?

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
ME ME ME

1. What did it feel like getting 3rd and 1st in singles and doubles respectively, at Bum's tourney?
2. What's your mindset when you go to a tourney? Do you make yourself think you're going to win, or do you just let whatever happens, happen?
1) Bum's tournament was definitely my most successful tournament yet, and I honestly felt like I did that well in singles because of how strongly I played in doubles. After winning doubles, I was extremely confident and I could feel it- so its really all about your inner confidence, and knowing that you can win.

This creates more of an atmosphere that you are playing friendlies, in which case you can go for (and connect) with things that normally you wouldn't use in tournament. So I guess more confidence -> more mind games. lol

It felt really great to finally place in the money in both events, and I plan on doing so much more frequently from now on =)

2) When I head to tournaments I always let myself get a little jittery, get that adrenaline pumping lol. But when it comes down to it, its all about consistency and your confidence in that consistency. Do what works, space correctly, recover properly. If you perform all of your fundamentals perfectly there is no reason that you cannot find openings, out pressure, and out space your opponent.

It's always best to go into the match with the mindset that you are going to win, just don't be so cocky about it that you will play overly aggressively. If you go by whatever happens, happens- then you are not truly trying to win money at a tournament.

It is helpful to be relaxed when you enter though, as opposed to high strung and "mad." lol Even if you end up losing, a laid back attitude toward the loss is much preferred by your opponent (and is of better sportsmanship) than someone who johns and rages on them for winning.

Top Bottom