• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview thread: Will! (Last complete update: Cyphus)

D0N

Smash Ace
RULES

* Everyone gets to be in the spotlight for about a week (Ill give some sort of signal for last minute questions)
* Once an interview has started, post questions/answers only! As many as you like, as personal as you want, whether you post on these boards or not. Just keep it clean. Mods are watching!
* Only the person being interviewed can answer questions... I feel the need to say that...
* The person being interviewed can answer questions as they are asked, or wait until the end when I post a list of questions asked for them to answer.
* If the person being interviewed would be so kind, please post a picture of yourself so I can make nice updates. Not required.

INTERVIEWS

ook​

SAMPLE Q's

Q - Why main DK?
A - DK's the best, most fun character for me to use. Before I got Brawl I thought I was gonna main Dedede. So to practice for when Brawl came out (lol) I played DK in melee a lot because he seemed really similar to Dedede (bair, grabs, ftilt, whatever).
Then when Brawl came out, I sucked with Dedede, so I was like, "Yknow, why don't I just go back to playing DK? He was more fun." and it worked.

Q - At which place would you put DK in the tier list?
A - 4th. Right behind Snake, MK, and either Diddy or ICs. lol.... DK frickin owns.
But this is why I'm not in the smash back room....

Q - Why so shoeless?
A - Feels good. I do have a pair of flip-flops in case of emergencies (get kicked out of a store... but that's never happened yet) or if I feel like wearing them for whatever reason. But I can't walk in them very far. It's easier to walk barefoot.

Q - What's the best advice you could give the average DK player to improve their game?
A - Taunt more. It helps to have fun when you're playing, it makes you play better.
Also, learn to time the super armor on up-b and the punch really well. They're great.
But other than that, I dunno... if you're playing DK a lot and you're only doing average with him, I guess you could try picking up another character. Sometimes you can try to get good with a character but it's just not happening. You can't force it, you just gotta find a character who works for you.

Q - Why the name?
Q - Ruffles or lays?

WANT TO SEE MORE OOK ANSWERS?

CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER SET #1 (42 Q's)
CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER SET #2 (15 Q's)

Ripple​

SAMPLE Q's

Q - Do you like melee DK or brawl DK better?
A - I prefer melee DK than brawl DK. I just like speed and combos more than what brawl DK has to offer.

Q - I have a question. Let's say DK for some reason was banned (I know it makes no sense, just go with it), who else would you use?
A - I wouldn't be playing this game if DK wasn't in it. dedication right there :p

Q - In what way would you say you are most similar to DK?
A - I'm 6'6". people say I'm a monster

Q - Do you ever plan on quitting DK?
A - I've actually thought about this for the longest time. I love DK and everything about him but I absolutely hate how King Dedede is an impossible match up for him. I've tried picking up other characters as a second but none of them feel the same way as my DK. So I guess after a year and a half of just going DK at tournaments, I'll continue that from now on.

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

Q - What bet did you lose that made you change your name to Sparkle Motion?
Q - What is the best advice you could give the average DK player?

WANT TO SEE MORE RIPPLE ANSWERS?

CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER SET #1 (25 Q's)
CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER SET #2 (18 Q's)

Cyphus​

SAMPLE Q's

Q - How's the beard?
A - my beard was about 1.5 inches everywhere, and i planned on using my Jesus costume for halloween parties. However, for NO reason (brain fart?) i shaved it all off, got a haircut, and now i am sporting a goatee. (which i am personally not a fan of, but *sigh* the woman likes it)
i'll throw up a pic soon. (its probably good i didn't go jesus for halloween, because it was my friend's wedding and he's spanish....and that means they had alot of mexicans there..which means alot of strong catholics..and they probably would have killed me =]

Q - What are you favorite matchups? Least favorites?
A - favorite matchups? would i be a **** if i said all the ones that i find easiest? lol
Lucario, Marth, Snake, are probably the 3 high tiers i'm most confident against. I go basically even vs Lee martin's lucario (so i dont expect to lose to anyone elses), and i have a good record vs all the marths and snakes around.

Least favorite. Unless i'm on-my-game, toon link can really get on my nerves. diddy and olimar can be really unfun if they play campy. oh god..i HATE fighting sonic. not that its hard..its just stupid.

Q - What is your favorite way to land a punch?
A - when i'm falling back to the ground, i charge backwards, they're rushing in, and i reverse 9 wind them in the face. i should make a list of all the players i've killed w/ that in tournament, lol

Q - How long is your smash career so far.
A - 6 Years Of Tournaments.

Q - Cyphus, why does your body contort in ways that defy even Brawl physics?
Q - Is D3 really THAT bad?

WANT TO SEE MORE CYPHUS ANSWERS?

CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER SET (25 Q's)

BUM...:mad:

You guys asked questions... he didn't answer... I dunno what happened. Just to show you guys I didn't just do the interview without asking CLICK HERE to see our pm conversation prior to the interview.

D0N

Smash Ace
First up we have the man who's name all monkeys knew before they had their first banana, Ook!

Ask away!

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I'm ok with the thread, but wish you ran the idea by me first. :s These topics can turn bad fast.

Also sad face and no nominations. D=

/really wishes I could find you guys a better suited mod

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

/really wishes I could find you guys a better suited mod
susa, at least you have come back to the DK thread more than 2x which is more than anyone else.

shows you actually care about the DKs unlike every mod we've had in the past

D0N

Smash Ace
^ What he said ^

Plus you do pretty well I think. I remember there was a bad thread made that got locked by you within 2minutes of its creation before lol. But yea, sorry for not running it by you first :(.

Anyway, now you know Susa is watching. Keep it clean!

And ask away :)

ook

Smash Lord
Eh, but what kind of board requires you to run your ideas by a mod before making a thread?

Freedom for smashboards 4ever :D

Also, wow at all the votes.
I love you all

and what ripple and don said^

D0N

Smash Ace
Susa was just saying he wanted more of a "You may want to watch over this thread" than a "can I make this thread." The thread is fine as long as it stays civil, and whoever doesn't keep it civil will answer to Susa.

So yea, ask away.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
do you play ZSS anymore ook?

why main DK?

why are you always barefoot?

why the name?

do you wear the same shirt to every tournament?

do you like taking the title of best DK in midwest???!!!! jerk

daisho

Smash Lord
What is your worst matchup?

What is your least favorite matchup?

Have you ever murdered anybody?

Do you play any low tier characters? If so who?

Luigi player

Smash Master
My questions:

* At which place would you put DK in the tier list?
* What do you think are DKs 5 worst matchups and why?
* What would your favourite color be for DKs tie?
* Will you attend even more tourneys?
* Do you have a secondary you use in tourneys? If not, do you think about getting one? And who would that be?
* What are your 5 favourite moves with DK?
* What are your most used moves?
* What would you change about DK for the next Smash? (besides not getting infinited...)

Technodeath

Smash Champion
i dont have many questions

do you find it difficult to read and predict your opponents?
would you ever consider coming to australia? (if you havent already)
what do you think of the aussie accent?

D0N

Smash Ace
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Do you remember your first brawl tournament? How did it go?
Have you ever been 3 stocked when you weren't sandbagging?
How often do you actually play brawl? Do you practice alot?
What's your favorite sport?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
why do you want i1337 to be interviewed?

why so shoeless?

ruffles or lays?

when are you coming out to socal?

what's you're favorite crappy cartoon from the 90s meant to sell toys (Transformers, GI Joe, Street Sharks, etc.)

I'll think of more later

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Do you dance?
If you chose "yes", what kind of dancing?
If you chose "no"... :(

NatP

Smash Ace
Why do you seem to suck at the DK CF matchup?
How much do you like bananas? (the fruit, not diddy's downb ;o)
Would you even consider coming to portugal if you ever have to come to europe?
Why DK and not meta or snake?

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
What do you do when you play against DK?
New Jersey is Meta Knight country. If there was a big east coast event, how would you deal with that?

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
What do you think of DK in brawl+?

Do you think that DK have any chance to go up in the tier list?

Who is your favorite kong(excluding DK)?

ook

Smash Lord
do you play ZSS anymore ook?

why main DK?

why are you always barefoot?

why the name?

do you wear the same shirt to every tournament?

do you like taking the title of best DK in midwest???!!!! jerk
1. Every once in a while in friendlies (like if the other guy is using his 2nd/3rds)... but she's not nearly as fun as DK IMO so I usually just stick to playing him. As far as using her in tournaments for matchups... I don't really feel like my ZSS is nearly as good as my DK, so even though the matchup is technically better for her... it makes up for it because my zss sucks. I don't have confidence in her :p

2. DK's the best, most fun character for me to use. Before I got Brawl I thought I was gonna main Dedede. So to practice for when Brawl came out (lol) I played DK in melee a lot because he seemed really similar to Dedede (bair, grabs, ftilt, whatever).
Then when Brawl came out, I sucked with Dedede, so I was like, "Yknow, why don't I just go back to playing DK? He was more fun." and it worked.

3. Feels good

4. When I was like 6, I was at my neighbors house playing NBA Live on his sega Genesis. And I created a player, and typed a bunch of random letters, and it came out something like "ookokorrafaa." And I've been using that name ever since. But ookokorrafaa is too long to fit in some games (like Brawl) and it's really hard for people to pronounce, so I shorten it to ook. :lick:

5. Most of the time I wear my Brett Favre packers jersey, unless it's dirty. For good luck. :)

6. lol

What is your worst matchup?

What is your least favorite matchup?

Have you ever murdered anybody?

Do you play any low tier characters? If so who?
1. Probably ZSS or Toon Link. ZSS is just too quick.. and she stuns you... and the fact that she can hit really well above her, combined with the fact that DK can't hit very well below him.... I just don't know what to do. :confused:
And Toon Link has 3 different projectiles out at once, combos, moves around like crazy, and his upair and downair stay out for a ridiculous amount of time. :( You can't just shield the projectiles like other characters (Falco is no problem for me) because there are THREE of them, and they all have difference speeds and trajectories and stuff, and the bombs explode. He ***** me.

2. Ice climbers or Dedede. They're the characters that can REALLY punish you hard if you mess up and get grabbed, so you have to play all campy and boring against them. Against other characters it doesn't really matter if you get hit, cause DK can get hit like 40 times before he dies lol.
:uzi::dk::rocket:

3. Not that I remember.

4. Eh... like with ZSS, I sometimes play Captain Falcon or Link or Ike. But they're so frustrating.... I can't do **** with them. So I usually pick them for one game, lose, and think "why the **** did I pick them? :/" Low-tiers are so frustrating to play.
It's more fun to be a character who can actually... do stuff. Like DK! :bee:

My questions:

* At which place would you put DK in the tier list?
* What do you think are DKs 5 worst matchups and why?
* What would your favourite color be for DKs tie?
* Will you attend even more tourneys?
* Do you have a secondary you use in tourneys? If not, do you think about getting one? And who would that be?
* What are your 5 favourite moves with DK?
* What are your most used moves?
* What would you change about DK for the next Smash? (besides not getting infinited...)
1. 4th
Right behind Snake, MK, and either Diddy or ICs. lol.... DK frickin owns.
But this is why I'm not in the smash back room....

2. (in no particular order) Toon Link, ZSS, DDD, and ICs for reasons I said above. And probably... Wario for the chaingrab.

3. Green with yellow DK letters. The 2 best colors

4. Of course.

5. As I said before... ZSS is borderline secondary for me.. but I'm not that good with her and she's not fun enough for me to want to get good with her. DK all the way. :)

6. Up-b
Punch
Fsmash
Downsmash
Side-b

7. Up-b
Ftilt
Dtilt
Jab
Bair
DOWNSMASH

8. He should say "OK!" like he does when you save the game in Donkey Kong 64 (I would save the game over and over just to hear him say that).
And this should be his victory song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGMS3jDxV0

i dont have many questions

do you find it difficult to read and predict your opponents?
would you ever consider coming to australia? (if you havent already)
what do you think of the aussie accent?
1. Yeah. Most of the time I "predict", it's really just a guess between a couple things that they COULD do. Then I get punished for guessing wrong, but that's ok cause DK can take the hits.

2. Someday. I think it's important to see the whole world... instead of just staying in one place your whole life. But right now I have no idea how I would get there... and there are other places I'd want to go first (like Alaska! :D)

3. It's pretty hilarious.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Do you remember your first brawl tournament? How did it go?
Have you ever been 3 stocked when you weren't sandbagging?
How often do you actually play brawl? Do you practice alot?
What's your favorite sport?
1. Time travel/time control. I would never lose tourneys :D cause I could just go back and redo the games I lost until I win them.

2. It was at a pizza place, and they had unlimited pizza and drink. That was amazing. :) And I got 9th place out of like 45... which was a pleasant surprise.

The game I lost, had the guy down to high percent last stock, and I landed a headbutt and was going to fsmash him. But I must have hit the A button too early because I jabbed him instead :( since that day, I always use c-stick lol.

Then, the tournament ran really late and I missed the last train home, so I was stuck in Chicago after midnight with no way to get home, and my phone was out of batteries. So I had to use a pay phone to call my dad at 1:00 am and he drove an hour to come pick me up. I was very thankful.... but since then I never take the Metra train.

3. Yeah, and there's a video of it. :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADiIX0aAs7c

4. On average probably a couple times a week for a few hours each... depending if there's a tournament coming up. If there's a tournament, a lot of times there'll be a smashfest the day before where I can get my offline playing in. Other times I just play online. But lately, online is making me want to punch babies.

5. Besides video games... Football (NFL, not Soccer), or Bowling.

why do you want i1337 to be interviewed?

why so shoeless?

ruffles or lays?

when are you coming out to socal?

what's you're favorite crappy cartoon from the 90s meant to sell toys (Transformers, GI Joe, Street Sharks, etc.)

I'll think of more later
1. To see what would happen

2. Feels good. I do have a pair of flip-flops in case of emergencies (get kicked out of a store... but that's never happened yet) or if I feel like wearing them for whatever reason. But I can't walk in them very far. It's easier to walk barefoot.

3. Ruffles. Lays are too flimsy so they break too much when you dip them.
And I like the Ruffles cheddar & sour cream flavor. Lays cheddar & sour cream tastes like crap.

4. uh... someday when I go on a big road trip across the country. But I have no money and no car right now. :urg:

5. Pokemon! But if that doesn't count (it wasn't crappy), then... um... Gargolyes or Beast Wars.

how do you pronounce ook ?
They're creepy and they're kOOKy,
Mysterious and spOOKy,
they're altogether OOKy
The Addams Family!

Like that ^

Do you dance?
If you chose "yes", what kind of dancing?
If you chose "no"... :(
Kind of... I took dance class in high school cause you had the option to take it instead of regular gym class.
F*** gym class.
I dunno, we had... jazz, ballet, modern. stuff like that. But I haven't danced much since then and I don't know any specific... dance moves or styles of dance.
But I think dancing is really interesting... it's weird. Like, why would you move your body in weird ways to music? Why does it feel so natural to move in ways that you would never move in any situation other than dancing? What IS dancing????!!?

Why do you seem to suck at the DK CF matchup?
How much do you like bananas? (the fruit, not diddy's downb ;o)
Would you even consider coming to portugal if you ever have to come to europe?
Why DK and not meta or snake?
1. The knee... it's too much. And he can edgeguard and "combo" pretty darn well.
Plus, there are plenty of bad players that play Captain Falcon, and very few good ones. So when you meet a good one... you kinda expect them to be like all the bad ones. But then they're not.

2. It's probably my 3rd favorite fruit behind Lemons and Pineapples. They taste good if you put peanut butter on them.
But for some reason... even though bananas are really good, banana candy tastes like CRAP. I throw out all my banana laffy taffys. They just can't make good banana-flavored things.

3. Sure.

4. I like the way DK plays, and at the beginning of the game DK seemed like one of the best characters to me (and he still does).
MK is too light... and Snake is too different with his grenades, C4, etc. Plus when you have moves like Snake's ftilt that are just WAY too good, I would probably focus too much on just doing ftilts and not use his other moves. DK's moves are all pretty balanced (except up-b, that **** is broken so I spam it).

What do you do when you play against DK?
New Jersey is Meta Knight country. If there was a big east coast event, how would you deal with that?
1. Down-b, up-b and bair a lot... I love DK dittos in friendlies because it's just a brawl, there's not much camping or anything. It's pretty much anyone's game because of how strong DK's moves are. But honestly in a tournament I'd rather face other characters, for that same reason. DKs moves are too strong! :embarrass it's scary to fight DK.

2. Well, I'd hope they're not smart enough to spam tornado. Some MKs try to play with actual moves like dair, nair, ftilt, etc.... they don't even think spamming tornado will work. But that's what you do against DK :embarrass
Besides that, I'd donkey punch them all and win and they'd be like wtfdk
maybe

What do you think of DK in brawl+?

Do you think that DK have any chance to go up in the tier list?

What is your favorite kong(excluding DK)?
1. He's pretty good... but so is almost everyone else in Brawl+. Ike ***** my brawl+ DK though, Ike is too broken in that game. :p
I dunno... I've played a lot of Brawl+ lately (5.0 or whatever), and it seems to be pretty similar to regular Brawl... except easier because they can't airdodge. I don't notice many changes other than that. And I don't have to change my playstyle much.

2. I would definitely hope so, but seeing what's happened the last 2 times, I dunno what to think. The SBR is just... "wtf, man?"

3. Tiny Kong from DK64. I always chose her in multiplayer, and I didn't choose wrong. I never lost a game. :)

kewl, any other questions?

Veggi

Smash Champion
Do you think DK has a hard time against camping?

Like DK's ground and air speed+quick moves and super armor that cancel projectiles compared to his large size and easily poked shield.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
imagine that you've played against many many many smashers that main high tier characters.

You've played them hundreds of times, that you can read their behaviours like a book. Would you feel that you can make a significant difference to the current Tier List because you can **** MKs, Snakes, ICs and DDDs?

D0N

Smash Ace
How long have you been playing smash (all versions) and why did you start playing competitivly?

Do you play any other games competitivly?

What's the best advice you could give the average DK player to improve their game?

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
How often would you throw out a Dair? and usually for what situations?

Have you tried to intercept someone's recovery with Dair?

Because I've done that to a rolling Jigglypuff and a Marth that was in the middle of dolphin slashing.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
What is your favorite character to play against: from S & A tier? in general?

Do you think that living in the Great Lakes region (Eastern Midwest) helps or hurts you as a player?
(compared to other regions with higher population density)
--Does a longer travel distance(and time) become a factor in your level of play?

What's the secret to winning a DK ditto? (seems like my best shot against Ripple :laugh:)

What high level player do look forward to playing someday(non DK)? What DK main?

ook

Smash Lord
Do you think DK has a hard time against camping?

Like DK's ground and air speed+quick moves and super armor that cancel projectiles compared to his large size and easily poked shield.
Against some characters, like ones that have more than one projectile, or exploding projectiles (Toon link, Snake, Yoshi, even Samus and Link), they can camp pretty effectively. Or Olimar :(. But if they just try to projectile camp with one projectile (Falco, DDD, Wolf, Pit, etc) they're not much of a problem... you can just up-b or powershield them.

Your favourite DK game?
Donkey Kong Land, for game boy.
Or Donkey Konga :)

Does DK beat Snake?
No, he doesn't BEAT snake.... but it's not too bad. Maybe 45-55 at the worst (a grenade-camping snake who nairs a lot :/). Down-b is great and DK's got the power and lives just as long as Snake. And cargo throws to get him offstage or toss him into his mines :) Side-b is also pretty useful to break Snake's shield (in combination with blowing up a grenade). It's a decent matchup, but yeah Snake's best strategy is probably just to camp. :/

imagine that you've played against many many many smashers that main high tier characters.

You've played them hundreds of times, that you can read their behaviours like a book. Would you feel that you can make a significant difference to the current Tier List because you can **** MKs, Snakes, ICs and DDDs?
Maybe if I won 1st at a national tourney or something... there would probably be a slight change in the tier list.
But for the most part, ONE person playing a character well can't change people's perceptions of the tier list.
It takes a combined effort of many DKs placing consistently, all over the country, to show how great he really is. :)

How long have you been playing smash (all versions) and why did you start playing competitivly?

Do you play any other games competitivly?

What's the best advice you could give the average DK player to improve their game?
1. Since the first one. I saw my friends playing it on their N64 and I was like "wtf why are Pikachu and Kirby in the same game... and fighting?" and got hooked.
Then when Melee came out I didn't like it as much as the 64 version. It was too fast... and I sucked at it. So I didn't play it quite as much (or competively).
Then Brawl came out and I really liked it.
I think what mostly got me into playing competitively... was the ability to play online. Like, finally I could play (and practice) against people who were actually GOOD, any time I want, instead of just my friends who sucked. Then I could get good enough to go to tournaments and stuff. Plus I didn't find out about Smashboards and Melee's competitiveness until pretty late after it came out, and by then I already decided I didn't like the game.

2. No, not currently, but it'd be nice to find one.

3. Taunt more. It helps to have fun when you're playing, it makes you play better. :)
Also, learn to time the super armor on up-b and the punch really well. They're great.
But other than that, I dunno... if you're playing DK a lot and you're only doing average with him, I guess you could try picking up another character. Sometimes you can try to get good with a character but it's just not happening. You can't force it, you just gotta find a character who works for you.

How often would you throw out a Dair? and usually for what situations?

Have you tried to intercept someone's recovery with Dair?

Because I've done that to a rolling Jigglypuff and a Marth that was in the middle of dolphin slashing.
1. I throw out dairs pretty often, but I almost always regret doing it. :(
I guess the best situation to use it would of course be offstage. But you shouldn't do it too much, it's more of a surprise attack if they're used to you just going for bairs and stuff. Or, it's useful against characters who can't afford to airdodge offstage because of their bad recovery.

2. Yeah, it sometimes works against shuttle loop. But again... most of the time it doesn't. :(

DO you think DK´s should ftilt more? and is it safe in your opinion?
which is the most underrated move of dk?
1. At middle or high percents, yes, especially the upangled ftilt (it's great). But at low percents... it's really not safe. Sometimes even if you hit them, they can still counterattack. :/ It's much better to use dtilt or grab or something.

2. Maybe... his jab? It's easy to forget about jabbing because of DK's great tilts, but it's pretty good. It comes out a frame faster than dtilt, and the 2nd jab lasts a long time and has a pretty good amount of vertical range (cause it's an uppercut). I've been using it lately and it's really been intercepting a lot of stuff.

What is your favorite character to play against: from S & A tier? in general?

Do you think that living in the Great Lakes region (Eastern Midwest) helps or hurts you as a player?
(compared to other regions with higher population density)
--Does a longer travel distance(and time) become a factor in your level of play?

What's the secret to winning a DK ditto? (seems like my best shot against Ripple :laugh:)

What high level player do look forward to playing someday(non DK)? What DK main?
1. From S tier: Falco. It's fun to watch them try to laser camp, and be like "nuh-uh!". And then it's fun to take them to Japes, and again, be like "nuh-uh beeeyotch!" because their best stage is an even better stage for DK. :p

In general: DK :dk2:

2. I think it helps. Even though this part of the midwest doesn't have nearly the density of a place like the east coast or socal or something... it's still MUCH bettter than the western midwest, or anywhere with "mountain" time zone :laugh:. I consider myself lucky to live in a place where you can go to tournaments just about every or every other weekend.

The travel times, again, are not TOO bad. The Chicago area where I live has a lot of good players and tournaments, and to get to Michigan or Ohio (other "hubs" of smash), it's only about a 4 to 6 hour drive. VERY reasonable compared to the more remote regions. :)

3. Down-b, up-b, and dair spikes!

4. Well M2K apparently lives in Ohio now (I haven't seem him yet... :/), but hopefully that means he'll be coming to some of the Midwest circuit events. So I'm looking forward to beating him.

As for DK mains... um, anyone basically. It'd be great to play any of you. :)

Top Bottom