• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Return

Dnyce

Smash Master
ugh, ofcourse it's not a "true" ledge jump, why can't you accept you are doing a form of ledge jump without being on the edge, the reason your second jump isnt restored is because you aren't doing a real ledgejump, you are doing a weird form of ledge jump where you have NOT touched the stage. the only thing you did was double jump => tether => jump out of it, so it isnt really weird your second jump is not being restored.

if you can't agree it's a form of ledgejump then tell me why you see the "cloud" and the same animation of ledge jump. the reason the 2 are different is because you are not supposed to do some weird-*** ledgejump while not on the ledge.

i don't know how to explain the "high" part so...
Oh, you mis-understand... I'm not opposed to saying it's a weird form of ledge-hop, but to say it's a ledge-hop would be inaccurate. Perhaps we could talk about this on AIM or Skype, it's rather silly to flood the forum with discussion... and if we chat together, perhaps I could have a better idea on how to test it.

I should probably look into finding the code for Olimar's ledge-hop, it might shed some light on the situation ^^;

I'm not trying to shut you down with this or the move-lock thread, I'm just making sure what you're testing / saying is more accurate... In fact, I'm glad there is someone else willing to test things and advance metagame :)

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
I understand, i know you are not trying to shut me down :p

anyway im kinda glad you tryd to correct me because i understand the ledge jump return a bit better now.
it is what you said a while ago (i think), if you time your jump later you will do the move, so it indeed has nothing to do with spacing.

Dnyce

Smash Master
You know how if you run off the stage you can upB to grab the ledge? You can instant return that way as well. Which got me thinking... run off stage, upB, tap down (to cancel it) upB again to regrab, tap down, upB again (hold toward the stage) and do the jumping instant return that restores all your tethers.... repeat...

I gotta find out how to do this consistently, lol. I'm having trouble consistently getting the jump returns... but the plank return is pretty easy is you do 2 uair :)

Cracker1204

Smash Apprentice
don't really understand the use of the first one (because after you jump return it takes a while before you are on the edge again, you're better of just doing instant return and hug ?) but yeah, you should alway do a move where you can buffer an up b out of when you do plank return, because else you will autograb the ledge most of the time.

double jump return is really easy, just mash jump immediatly after instant return (you're doing the instant return too close to the stage if you get retracted to the edge when you press jump). ledge jump is harder because of the timing ofcourse.

Top Bottom