• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I don't think this has been posted here yet:

Recording session for some of Splatoon's music.

Yeah, I don't think the op has been touched in a while

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this has been posted here yet:

Recording session for some of Splatoon's music.

Yeah, I don't think the op has been touched in a while
This is pretty awesome. This taught me that Callie and Marie have voice actors. XD

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
there has got to be a way to reverse that squiddish filter to translate it to japanese and then to english.

so many dumb people on youtube saying they're just singing jibberish when I can clearly hear voice modulated japanese.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I know there are edits, but is it possible to change the tense of this article? Statements such as 'recently announced game' make the thread sound like an untrustworthy discussion outlet for a character who has been around for fifteen months.
I agree - @ HeavyLobster HeavyLobster , have you considered updating the thread with some of the new members of the SquidBeak Splatoon? Of have you considered passing the title onto someone new?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I agree - @ HeavyLobster HeavyLobster , have you considered updating the thread with some of the new members of the SquidBeak Splatoon? Of have you considered passing the title onto someone new?
I wouldn't know where to begin with updating things. I'd be more than happy to hand ownership over to someone else since I'm mostly preoccupied with other things, mainly playing Smash as is right now as well as real life stuff. I don't know how I'd go about transferring thread ownership to someone else, but I think it would be for the best for that to happen, since I've mostly moved on from new character speculation since the game came out. If anyone knows how these sorts of things work or would be interested in taking over your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
A'ight, sweet! I'll get started on a fresh new OP soon; in the meantime, link me any movesets, sig banners, etc you want to see inkluded, and let me know if you wanna be on the supporters list!

Also... does anyone know how to change a thread title? :p (the option isn't showing up for some reason)

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
A'ight, sweet! I'll get started on a fresh new OP soon; in the meantime, link me any movesets, sig banners, etc you want to see inkluded, and let me know if you wanna be on the supporters list!

Also... does anyone know how to change a thread title? :p (the option isn't showing up for some reason)
Feel free to just add everyione who isn't on the supporter list that posts here to the list, although that's more work for you to find them :)

Feel free to add my moveset too! Here it is again - http://smashboards.com/threads/inkling-for-smash-cast-your-vote-now.357786/page-68#post-19562401

Also - Anybody think they'll give the Inklings new voice lines if they were added to Smash Bros? Or will we be stuck hearing Woomy woomy woomy/ Manmenmi manmenmi manmenmi for the rest of our lives?!
I'd expect Nintendo to rip their sounds directly from Splatoon for smash. I reccomend adding that japanese popularity chart if you haven't yet done so to the OP.

One more thing - This can go in the OP too -

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Why isn't the spoilered "Stuff" things called Squid Stuff? I am very disappoint.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Hammerhead bridge is released tonight as more free stage dlc. Woo. Get inkcited. Great job with the new op munomario

Edit: @ Munomario777 Munomario777 The credit for the gif I posted should go to Lightdasher. I found it on their twitter. It uses Omni's art but they recolored everything

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 what is your thoughts on my moveset btw? Nobody gave an input because of a "2nd character representative" debate happening at the time

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of movesets...

I've been toying around with some moveset ideas. If I finish my moveset would anyone be interested in seeing it for some speculation?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 what is your thoughts on my moveset btw? Nobody gave an input because of a "2nd character representative" debate happening at the time
While it is hard to fully judge a set with such few moves, I will nevertheless share my thoughts on this "core".

Also, I'mma be brutally honest here. Brace yourself.

Right off the bat, I'm not a fan of the "cycling bombs" deal on neutral special for a few reasons:
  • They cycle, rather than being separate moves. This drastically limits the Inkling's options at any given time; if you need a Splat Bomb, you very well may not get one, so you can't do that effective setup that uses the particular bomb type. It also irks me that you can't actually use the Burst Bombs for their rapid-fire attribute due to this, which is their only real strength. Randomized and cycling moves are never better than a choice between them.
  • Inklings shouldn't be focused on bombs, or rather, sub weapons. They're sub weapons in the game for a reason; they're complimentary to main weapons like the shooters, rollers, etc, but not at all the main focus. It's like if Link used the boomerang for the majority of his moveset, rather than his sword. Don't put a complimentary tool on two specials, or even neutral special unless it doesn't fit anywhere else -- these would be perfectly serviceable on down special. (Squid swimming would fit best on a special crouch, I feel.) That said, a bomb-focused Inkling could be an interesting idea, but it needs to be refined, and fleshed out with a full moveset that really takes advantage of the different bomb types.
Moving onto side special, it's really not a very logical place for a charger weapon to be. The idea behind a charger is that you're practically immobilized while charging, and thus vulnerable, but you unleash a powerful attack at the end. On side special, the charger loses that key weakness -- you might not be able to walk during the charge, but aerial momentum in combination with a jump makes that a rather moot point. A smash attack, however, passes that test with flying colors -- heck, you can aim them too. Mega Man shows us that projectile smashes can work just fine. It's just a bit of odd move placement, though, nothing too serious. :) (implying that anything pertaining to hypothetical Smash Bros. movesets is particularly "serious" haha)

Up special is mostly fine, although I disagree with the lack of vertical movement, seeing as how in Splatoon, you use it pretty much exclusively for horizontal movement. :p

Down special is probably my main issue with the set. Everything I said for neutral special applies here as well. First off, this isn't a very good use of ink at all. In Splatoon, ink is used for mobility, and for outmaneuvering opponents. Here, though, there's no indication that you can move at all, or that if you can, it'd be any faster than dashing. Then there's the ammo limit. Ammo limits A) don't add depth, B) add an annoying limitation to distract the player from the actual battling, and C) are a rather cheap excuse to try to "balance" a character. Rather than limiting how many times you can use an attack, instead change the attack itself for a more elegant solution to the balance issues. The idea of laying down traps while swimming in ink is a neat one, I will say, but I don't think that it's really a good main use for ink as you're making it seem like it is.

Multiple final smashes are fine enough, although I'd change how they're activated; blocking usage of up special when you're offstage, for example, wouldn't end too well. :p

I don't want to come across as too harsh here. While I do disagree with a lot of the decisions here, it's cool to see a different approach to the idea of the Inkling. There's definitely a lot of potential for an Inkling moveset, after all.

(but mine is still the best :awesome:)

I'll add this to the OP once I get the chance, by the way. :)

Speaking of movesets...

I've been toying around with some moveset ideas. If I finish my moveset would anyone be interested in seeing it for some speculation?
But of course! The more the merrier! :)

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Alright, finished up my moveset! I tried to offer some new ideas as best as I could, because I wanted to see if they'd work. What do you guys think?

Special Traits

Squid Form:
While crouched the Inkling will become a squid. When in squid form, the Inkling can submerge in it's own ink allowing it to get a small hitbox, and faster traveling speed by swimming through the ink.

Ink!! - The inklings can cover stages in their ink. Doing so allows them to quickly submerge in the ink in squid form (crouch). While in the ink, Inklings will have a very small hitbox, rivaling the lowest crouch in the game. It also allows them to swim through the ink that is placed, faster than what they run on land! Ink will disappear over time, so Inklings will have to constantly lay out ink in order to reap the benefits from it. Doing so also allows them access to a powerful ability

Special Weapon Ready! - A mechanic that encourages the Inkling to constantly claim turf. When enough ink has been been placed, the inkling specials will change to a powerful weapon. More on this later.

Standard Moveset

Jab: The inkling pulls out their inkbrush and rapidly swings it back in forth in front of them. Has decent length for a jab but it's a bit weak.

Dash Attack: Squid Dive - The Inkling rolls forward in the air turning into a squid as they do so. If there is ink underneath the Inkling, they can instantly submerge.

F-Tilt: Splattershot - The inkling uses the splattershot as they step forward. Hold down the button to fire for longer. This move can also turn around while firing.

U-tilt: "Anti-Air" Blaster - Fire the blaster straight up. The shot will go a little ways up before exploding. The explosion has a bit of splash damage. Will instantly explode if it hits an enemy on the way up.

D-tilt: Squid Spin - While in Squid form, the Inkling spins in place to attack. This move changes slightly in while submerged in ink. The inkling will reveal it's tentacles and twirl those around to attack. (Kind of like a sprinkler.)

F-Smash: Splatterscope - The Inkling pulls out a Splatterscope to hunt down the competition. This move can be angled up or down. This move's range and power is affected by how long it's charged.

U-Smash: Slosher - The Inkling throws ink with the Slosher into the air. The ink would have a hitbox until it hits the ground but would get weaker the longer it's out.

D-Smash: Ink Mine - The Inkling sneakily deploys an Ink mine at their feet. Can be hidden in Ink to make it more hard to see. Only one can be placed at a time. After a certain amount of time has passed they will detonate on their own. The Inklings can not be harmed by their own mine.

N-Air: Squid Roll - The Inkling turns into a squid and twists in the air to inflict some damage. Resembles the Kraken Spin when they jump.

F-Air: "Air" Blaster - Fires the blaster straight in front of the Inkling. Same mechanics as the u-tilt. Since the Inkling is in the air, the move will push them back slightly.

B-Air: Octobrush - A swipe with the Octobrush, swing from low to high behind the Inkling.

D-Air - Squid Drill - The inkling twirls straight down in squid form. A weak move that has a constant hitbox with weak priority. This move can be held out though and if you land in ink, there will be no landing lag be allowing you to submerge.

U-Air: Burst Bomb - The Inklings pull out a burst bomb and crushes it causing a explosion. Not terribly powerful but almost as big of an explosion as the splat bomb.

Specials

N-Special: Splat Bomb - The inkling toss a Splat Bomb forward. They are timed and explode after a seconds or two.

Side Special: Splatling - The Inkling starts charging their Splatling. The button can be held down to charge the Splatling allowing it to be fired for a longer period of time. You can also move slowly while charging, allowing you to retreat if necessary.

Up Special: Squid Jump - The inkling changes to squid form and will charge up a bit. Then they be launched high into the air. The inkling will then return to kid form on the way down. Does not have a hitbox except for directly under the squid, which can cause a meteor smash. Inklings can react after a squid jump, but won't be able to do another squid jump.

Down Special: Ink Roller - The inklings winds up the ink roller and splashes it down. When the roller is dropped some ink will be flung from the roller. If the button is held, the Inklings can then run with the Roller. If you can hit someone in the air with the drop of the roller they will get meteor smashed.

Grab: The Inkling turns into a squid and latches onto the opponent

Pummel: The Inkling in squid form, squeezes the opponent

Forward Throw: The Inkling turns into a human while performing a handstand on the opponent. The Inkling then flips over the opponent, pulling them with him/her and throws them forward.

Back Throw: The Inkling turns into a human, and throws themselves backwards performing a back hand spring. The opponents are picked up by the Inkling and tossed backwards as the Inking return to a stand position.

Up Throw: The Inkling begins to charge up squid jump. Before they launch, the Inkling throws themselves upside down and launches the opponent with the squid jump ink trail. The Inkling's only kill throw that will kill around decently high percents.

Down throw: The Inkling charges the squid jump and pushes the opponent into the ground with the ink charged up. Leaves the Inkling in the air after performing.

Special Weapon Changes

Now to elaborate on this unique mechanic. There would be a special bar around the Inkling's player portrait that resembles the Inkling's special weapon charge from Splatoon. When it is filled, the Inkling will begin to bubble and glow. Activating any special at this point will allow you to activate a powerful alternative weapon. Note that ink placed on the stage by Special Weapons will not refill the Special Weapon Meter.

Charged Neutral Special: Bomb Rush: Allows rapid fire bombs for a short period of time.

Charged Side Special: Killer Wail - Fires a beam of sound directly in front of the Inkling. Has horrible lag after launching so be careful where you place it

Charged Up Special : Inkstrike - You must be on the ground to launch this weapon. The Inkling will fire a missile that will come back down to the stage delivering a huge vortex of ink on the return. Has horrible lag so make sure your safe before you use it. Can be angled to the left or right on the way up.

Charged Down Special: Kraken - The Inkling becomes a invincible Kraken for a short period of time. During this the Inkling can jump to attack. An enemy caught in the Kraken's spin will get thrown far.

Final Smash: Calamari Inkantation - Agent 3 can your hear our song? BGM override activated! The squid sisters make a big appearance for the Inkling's Final Smash. Appearing in the background of the stage, Callie and Marie will begin one of their "Smash Hits"! Anyone opponents within earshot of the performance from Callie and Marie will be unable to resist their funky beats and start dancing. Well, taunting, but hey it opens them up for a world of hurt. The Inkling will feel motivated by the song and be able to launch enemies with ease who are busy dancing.

Taunts

Up Taunt: Come on! - The Inkling's rally cry. They pump their fist in the air twice!

Side Taunt: "Stay Fresh!!" -The Inkling poses ala the Squid Sisters. If the button is held down can be turned into a dance instead, similar to how the Inkling's dance during Splatfest. Note: Any enemy Inklings under the influence of Calamari Inkantation will automatic do their dance taunt.

Down Taunt: Booyah! - The Inklings cry of triumph! The Inkling pump themselves up.

Misc.

Shield - Resembles the bubbler special!

Drowning Animation - The inklings dissolve in the water as oppose to drowning.

Respawn - Since the Inklings come from a game where they respawn, when coming back in on the platform the Inklings will rise from it, similar to their intro animation.

Winning Animations

1: Zapfish Rescued - The Inkling runs up to a captured Zapfish, retrieves it, and shows it to the players with a finger pointed at what it rescued!

2: Joyous Inkling - The Inkling fire a whole bunch of shots into the air with the Splatling! The Inkling then laughs and hugs the Splatling. (Ink that was fire rains back down around the inkling.)

3: Who's Next?! - Screen zooms in on a puddle. The Inkling eyes' appear out of the ink, and it quickly jumps out and looks down the sight of its Splattershot for more foes to challenge.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims

I don't need it.
I don't need it....
All of those no picture signs and here we are now haha. I just picked up Mario maker and hitting the d pad while playing as the squid is basically the kid squid joke all over again.

Anyways, not long until the ballot ends. We have to make sure we don't run out of ink

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 Can I be added to the supporter list? ^_^

Outside of the FE characters, which we have too many of anyways, Inklings are my most wanted character for the ballot.

Btw if they do make it in they better give each alternate color and different set of clothes. It'd be a fun way to show off an aspect of Splatoon ;P

EDIT: btw, I've been saying this for ages, but if Nintendo has some kind of model of Inkopolis then a splatoon transforming stage would be really hype.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think the Inklings will make it in sooner or later, i see Splatoon as Wii U's flagship IP (and a new one) because of the success and popularity it has, i feel that the question here is: DLC or a future SSB installment?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the Inklings will make it in sooner or later, i see Splatoon as Wii U's flagship IP (and a new one) because of the success and popularity it has, i feel that the question here is: DLC or a future SSB installment?
Splatoon is pretty much the Wii U's Pikmin... Except A LOT more popular... Which is great and also a shame (because Pikmin should be more popular ^^). Anyways, I agree with you, the Inklings are, in my opinion, guaranteed to be playable in Smash. Sadly, I find it more like that Nintendo will hold them off to hype up the next installment, but I want to believe Inklings will be a DLC character really soon. :)

Kinda random, but this song makes me happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2c8F3ltnE

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Splatoon is pretty much the Wii U's Pikmin... Except A LOT more popular... Which is great and also a shame (because Pikmin should be more popular ^^). Anyways, I agree with you, the Inklings are, in my opinion, guaranteed to be playable in Smash. Sadly, I find it more like that Nintendo will hold them off to hype up the next installment, but I want to believe Inklings will be a DLC character really soon. :)

Kinda random, but this song makes me happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2c8F3ltnE
This could be the exact reason the Inklings are in now: to be bundled with other characters that may not get in as much. Polarity is what should be bundled- to encourage group buying.
Regardless, Inklings would have to be an additional character, not specifically the voter choice- it is one option of too much rage. Not that such as mattered as much in the past...

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 Can I be added to the supporter list? ^_^
But of course! :)

I don't need it.
I don't need it....
Your signature fits too well with this.
Alright, finished up my moveset! I tried to offer some new ideas as best as I could, because I wanted to see if they'd work. What do you guys think?

Special Traits

Squid Form:
While crouched the Inkling will become a squid. When in squid form, the Inkling can submerge in it's own ink allowing it to get a small hitbox, and faster traveling speed by swimming through the ink.

Ink!! - The inklings can cover stages in their ink. Doing so allows them to quickly submerge in the ink in squid form (crouch). While in the ink, Inklings will have a very small hitbox, rivaling the lowest crouch in the game. It also allows them to swim through the ink that is placed, faster than what they run on land! Ink will disappear over time, so Inklings will have to constantly lay out ink in order to reap the benefits from it. Doing so also allows them access to a powerful ability

Special Weapon Ready! - A mechanic that encourages the Inkling to constantly claim turf. When enough ink has been been placed, the inkling specials will change to a powerful weapon. More on this later.

Standard Moveset

Jab: The inkling pulls out their inkbrush and rapidly swings it back in forth in front of them. Has decent length for a jab but it's a bit weak.

Dash Attack: Squid Dive - The Inkling rolls forward in the air turning into a squid as they do so. If there is ink underneath the Inkling, they can instantly submerge.

F-Tilt: Splattershot - The inkling uses the splattershot as they step forward. Hold down the button to fire for longer. This move can also turn around while firing.

U-tilt: "Anti-Air" Blaster - Fire the blaster straight up. The shot will go a little ways up before exploding. The explosion has a bit of splash damage. Will instantly explode if it hits an enemy on the way up.

D-tilt: Squid Spin - While in Squid form, the Inkling spins in place to attack. This move changes slightly in while submerged in ink. The inkling will reveal it's tentacles and twirl those around to attack. (Kind of like a sprinkler.)

F-Smash: Splatterscope - The Inkling pulls out a Splatterscope to hunt down the competition. This move can be angled up or down. This move's range and power is affected by how long it's charged.

U-Smash: Slosher - The Inkling throws ink with the Slosher into the air. The ink would have a hitbox until it hits the ground but would get weaker the longer it's out.

D-Smash: Ink Mine - The Inkling sneakily deploys an Ink mine at their feet. Can be hidden in Ink to make it more hard to see. Only one can be placed at a time. After a certain amount of time has passed they will detonate on their own. The Inklings can not be harmed by their own mine.

N-Air: Squid Roll - The Inkling turns into a squid and twists in the air to inflict some damage. Resembles the Kraken Spin when they jump.

F-Air: "Air" Blaster - Fires the blaster straight in front of the Inkling. Same mechanics as the u-tilt. Since the Inkling is in the air, the move will push them back slightly.

B-Air: Octobrush - A swipe with the Octobrush, swing from low to high behind the Inkling.

D-Air - Squid Drill - The inkling twirls straight down in squid form. A weak move that has a constant hitbox with weak priority. This move can be held out though and if you land in ink, there will be no landing lag be allowing you to submerge.

U-Air: Burst Bomb - The Inklings pull out a burst bomb and crushes it causing a explosion. Not terribly powerful but almost as big of an explosion as the splat bomb.

Specials

N-Special: Splat Bomb - The inkling toss a Splat Bomb forward. They are timed and explode after a seconds or two.

Side Special: Splatling - The Inkling starts charging their Splatling. The button can be held down to charge the Splatling allowing it to be fired for a longer period of time. You can also move slowly while charging, allowing you to retreat if necessary.

Up Special: Squid Jump - The inkling changes to squid form and will charge up a bit. Then they be launched high into the air. The inkling will then return to kid form on the way down. Does not have a hitbox except for directly under the squid, which can cause a meteor smash. Inklings can react after a squid jump, but won't be able to do another squid jump.

Down Special: Ink Roller - The inklings winds up the ink roller and splashes it down. When the roller is dropped some ink will be flung from the roller. If the button is held, the Inklings can then run with the Roller. If you can hit someone in the air with the drop of the roller they will get meteor smashed.

Grab: The Inkling turns into a squid and latches onto the opponent

Pummel: The Inkling in squid form, squeezes the opponent

Forward Throw: The Inkling turns into a human while performing a handstand on the opponent. The Inkling then flips over the opponent, pulling them with him/her and throws them forward.

Back Throw: The Inkling turns into a human, and throws themselves backwards performing a back hand spring. The opponents are picked up by the Inkling and tossed backwards as the Inking return to a stand position.

Up Throw: The Inkling begins to charge up squid jump. Before they launch, the Inkling throws themselves upside down and launches the opponent with the squid jump ink trail. The Inkling's only kill throw that will kill around decently high percents.

Down throw: The Inkling charges the squid jump and pushes the opponent into the ground with the ink charged up. Leaves the Inkling in the air after performing.

Special Weapon Changes

Now to elaborate on this unique mechanic. There would be a special bar around the Inkling's player portrait that resembles the Inkling's special weapon charge from Splatoon. When it is filled, the Inkling will begin to bubble and glow. Activating any special at this point will allow you to activate a powerful alternative weapon. Note that ink placed on the stage by Special Weapons will not refill the Special Weapon Meter.

Charged Neutral Special: Bomb Rush: Allows rapid fire bombs for a short period of time.

Charged Side Special: Killer Wail - Fires a beam of sound directly in front of the Inkling. Has horrible lag after launching so be careful where you place it

Charged Up Special : Inkstrike - You must be on the ground to launch this weapon. The Inkling will fire a missile that will come back down to the stage delivering a huge vortex of ink on the return. Has horrible lag so make sure your safe before you use it. Can be angled to the left or right on the way up.

Charged Down Special: Kraken - The Inkling becomes a invincible Kraken for a short period of time. During this the Inkling can jump to attack. An enemy caught in the Kraken's spin will get thrown far.

Final Smash: Calamari Inkantation - Agent 3 can your hear our song? BGM override activated! The squid sisters make a big appearance for the Inkling's Final Smash. Appearing in the background of the stage, Callie and Marie will begin one of their "Smash Hits"! Anyone opponents within earshot of the performance from Callie and Marie will be unable to resist their funky beats and start dancing. Well, taunting, but hey it opens them up for a world of hurt. The Inkling will feel motivated by the song and be able to launch enemies with ease who are busy dancing.

Taunts

Up Taunt: Come on! - The Inkling's rally cry. They pump their fist in the air twice!

Side Taunt: "Stay Fresh!!" -The Inkling poses ala the Squid Sisters. If the button is held down can be turned into a dance instead, similar to how the Inkling's dance during Splatfest. Note: Any enemy Inklings under the influence of Calamari Inkantation will automatic do their dance taunt.

Down Taunt: Booyah! - The Inklings cry of triumph! The Inkling pump themselves up.

Misc.

Shield - Resembles the bubbler special!

Drowning Animation - The inklings dissolve in the water as oppose to drowning.

Respawn - Since the Inklings come from a game where they respawn, when coming back in on the platform the Inklings will rise from it, similar to their intro animation.

Winning Animations

1: Zapfish Rescued - The Inkling runs up to a captured Zapfish, retrieves it, and shows it to the players with a finger pointed at what it rescued!

2: Joyous Inkling - The Inkling fire a whole bunch of shots into the air with the Splatling! The Inkling then laughs and hugs the Splatling. (Ink that was fire rains back down around the inkling.)

3: Who's Next?! - Screen zooms in on a puddle. The Inkling eyes' appear out of the ink, and it quickly jumps out and looks down the sight of its Splattershot for more foes to challenge.
Not bad, not bad. It's nice overall, but a few criticisms:
  • I don't feel that the "special weapon" mechanic was necessary. Yes, it's an element in the original game, but not every mechanic needs to be present in Smash. You don't see the Fire Emblem cast delivering critical hits (outside of the Final Smash), or Sonic operating on a Ring health mechanic. It's not really needed for an incentive (inkcentive?) to lay down ink; that should come in the added mobility and such it gives you. It'd be a lot more elegant that way.
  • Some of the special placement is a bit off. I would have made the Splatling the Neutral Special, Splat Bombs on Down Special, and the Roller should -- IMO -- be Side Special.
  • Not sure how I feel about projectiles making up so much of the standard moveset. This level of projectile play should be reserved for characters where projectiles are the main focus, like Mega Man IMO. Inklings are focused on ink, not projectiles.
Other than that, though, I like the set. The taunts, Final Smash, and other flavor are pretty nice too. There is some room for improvement, though, just like about everything that we (humans) make. Imma add this to the OP. :)

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Not bad, not bad. It's nice overall, but a few criticisms:
  • I don't feel that the "special weapon" mechanic was necessary. Yes, it's an element in the original game, but not every mechanic needs to be present in Smash. You don't see the Fire Emblem cast delivering critical hits (outside of the Final Smash), or Sonic operating on a Ring health mechanic. It's not really needed for an incentive (inkcentive?) to lay down ink; that should come in the added mobility and such it gives you. It'd be a lot more elegant that way.
  • Some of the special placement is a bit off. I would have made the Splatling the Neutral Special, Splat Bombs on Down Special, and the Roller should -- IMO -- be Side Special.
  • Not sure how I feel about projectiles making up so much of the standard moveset. This level of projectile play should be reserved for characters where projectiles are the main focus, like Mega Man IMO. Inklings are focused on ink, not projectiles.
Other than that, though, I like the set. The taunts, Final Smash, and other flavor are pretty nice too. There is some room for improvement, though, just like about everything that we (humans) make. Imma add this to the OP. :)
Thanks for responding!

The special weapons mechanic was mainly added just because I don't believe I've seen a theorized moveset used before. I thought it might be neat to play with all in all, but don't really think it'll be used for the Inkling seeing as it would take a LOT of work to implement. Plus, it would make the Inkling's pretty OP I think, which is why I gave some of the moves bad lag or short time periods.

To be honest, for me any special could go anywhere (except for Squid Jump.) you could argue that the bomb could also go on side-b similar. I did down b for the paint roller because of the down motion of the slam with the roller.

To me, the inkling could be a projectile heavy character. Not to say that they can't throw a punch or a kick, but being that a melee attack doesn't exist in their game outside of the roller weapons, I wanted to try and use as many types of their weapons as possible. Any physical moves I used tried to be creative and use the squid for. In fact, I think I only created one that isn't necessarily a projectile that doesn't use the squid form being the U-air.

I'm actually surprised the FS worked. I thought that would've been one of the more controversial things about the moveset.

If I get a spark of inspiration again I'll update my moveset. Once again, thanks for the critiques. This is the first full moveset I've ever made.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Thanks for responding!
No problemo! :)
The special weapons mechanic was mainly added just because I don't believe I've seen a theorized moveset used before. I thought it might be neat to play with all in all, but don't really think it'll be used for the Inkling seeing as it would take a LOT of work to implement. Plus, it would make the Inkling's pretty OP I think, which is why I gave some of the moves bad lag or short time periods.
Just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean that you should add it into a moveset where it doesn't really need to be there.
To be honest, for me any special could go anywhere (except for Squid Jump.) you could argue that the bomb could also go on side-b similar. I did down b for the paint roller because of the down motion of the slam with the roller.
Eh, personal preference, I suppose. I see the roller as a side special because the Inkling holds it in front of them -- sideways from the camera perspective -- and the main purpose of the weapon is to walk along the ground, side to side. With a side special, it's much more natural to transition into and out of a walk or run. It's a sideways attack, so it should be a sideways special. Even with the slamming down, it's still an attack that hits to one side of the Inkling and has great horizontal reach -- especially with the splash of ink that comes off of the roller -- so it's best as a side special IMO.

The Splatling strikes me as odd on side special, mainly because chargeable moves, projectiles, and chargeable projectiles are more often than not on neutral special (assuming that they're on a special input at all ofc). Looking at examples from the game, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pit come to mind when it comes to chargeable projectiles, all of which are on neutral special. DK and Captain Falcon are examples of non-projectile charging moves, whereas Mario and Falco are examples of non-charging projectiles. Chargeable projectiles like the Splatling just make the most sense overall as a neutral special.

Splat Bombs would work best on down special because they're sort of a "trap". They explode after a couple of seconds, so instead of using them like a normal projectile, you'd want to use them as traps, to knock opponents into them or stop them from approaching. Traps and other "miscellaneous" move types are most often found on Down Special. Perhaps the closest analog to this particular move would be one of the Mii Gunner's customs, where he/she puts down a little bomb that goes "dink dink" as it lands on the ground, and then explodes after a second. It's a down special, and like the Splat Bomb, fits best there.

Geez, did I really just write three paragraphs on what button you press to do what thing?
To me, the inkling could be a projectile heavy character. Not to say that they can't throw a punch or a kick, but being that a melee attack doesn't exist in their game outside of the roller weapons, I wanted to try and use as many types of their weapons as possible. Any physical moves I used tried to be creative and use the squid for. In fact, I think I only created one that isn't necessarily a projectile that doesn't use the squid form being the U-air.
It's important to distinguish between something that the character does a lot, and the character's central theme, or their defining trait. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel (or in this case the rant), I'll quote an excerpt from a post I made earlier in the thread:
Inklings do use projectiles a lot, but that doesn't mean that it's their central theme. Things characters do should not be confused with their central theme; otherwise, the moveset often gets cluttered and unfocused. To illustrate this, let's take a look at a Smash moveset.

:4luigi:. We all know the guy. He's clumsy, awkward, and yet strangely charming. His most prominent starring role is in the Luigi's Mansion series, where he uses the Poltergust a lot. So you'd think that he'd use it a lot in Smash, right? Wrong. It's just a Final Smash. Why? Here's why.

Aside from the fact that Smash 64 came out before Luigi's Mansion -- sorta irrelevant I suppose since they've changed Luigi a bunch as-is, but I digress -- the Poltergust is in no way Luigi's central theme as a character. Luigi's theme is being clumsy, awkward, and yet likeable all the way through. That's Luigi. That's his core theme. And that's what Smash plays off of beautifully. His animations, his movement, his recovery, his hitbox placement, everything about him is just... awkward, but if players master this awkwardness, then great things can come of it. Heck, he's pretty high on the tiers right now. (inb4 patch) Having the Poltergust as a central theme would, at this point, either A) take away from Luigi's theme of being awkward, or B) make the set lose focus by trying -- and likely failing -- to focus on two different core themes at once, which just doesn't work most of the time.

How does this apply to the Inkling? Simple, just replace being awkward with managing turf -- the core idea of Splatoon's gameplay -- and the Poltergust with projectiles. That's not to say that projectiles couldn't have a decent presence in the Inkling's moveset, but it shouldn't be anything like a central theme.
As for the lack of melee attacks in their game, remember, this is Smash Bros., a fighting game. Anyone can punch or kick. However, what's even better is if you use the character's unique traits to assist these physical attacks. Like how Rosalina uses galaxy magic -- and Luma -- to power up her kicks, Ness and Lucas use their psychic powers in much the same way, or how the Duck Hunt Duo use their unique "piggyback" style to allow the dog to do the positioning and provide momentum, while the duck uses its sharp beak to concentrate that force. A way to do this with the Inkling -- as I demonstrated in my moveset -- would be to use the head tentacles as sort of pivoting points to provide leverage for attacks, or heck, to use the tentacles themselves for an actual slapping attack. Just get creative.
I'm actually surprised the FS worked. I thought that would've been one of the more controversial things about the moveset.
Haha, I can kinda see why. :p
If I get a spark of inspiration again I'll update my moveset. Once again, thanks for the critiques. This is the first full moveset I've ever made.
No problem! :) If you like movesets, I recommend checking out Make Your Move. We make movesets, comment on movesets, vote on movesets, and stuff like that. It's a moveset making contest, in other words, and it's on the seventeenth iteration. We'd love to have you! :)

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
While it is hard to fully judge a set with such few moves, I will nevertheless share my thoughts on this "core".

Also, I'mma be brutally honest here. Brace yourself.

Right off the bat, I'm not a fan of the "cycling bombs" deal on neutral special for a few reasons:
  • They cycle, rather than being separate moves. This drastically limits the Inkling's options at any given time; if you need a Splat Bomb, you very well may not get one, so you can't do that effective setup that uses the particular bomb type. It also irks me that you can't actually use the Burst Bombs for their rapid-fire attribute due to this, which is their only real strength. Randomized and cycling moves are never better than a choice between them.
  • Inklings shouldn't be focused on bombs, or rather, sub weapons. They're sub weapons in the game for a reason; they're complimentary to main weapons like the shooters, rollers, etc, but not at all the main focus. It's like if Link used the boomerang for the majority of his moveset, rather than his sword. Don't put a complimentary tool on two specials, or even neutral special unless it doesn't fit anywhere else -- these would be perfectly serviceable on down special. (Squid swimming would fit best on a special crouch, I feel.) That said, a bomb-focused Inkling could be an interesting idea, but it needs to be refined, and fleshed out with a full moveset that really takes advantage of the different bomb types.
Moving onto side special, it's really not a very logical place for a charger weapon to be. The idea behind a charger is that you're practically immobilized while charging, and thus vulnerable, but you unleash a powerful attack at the end. On side special, the charger loses that key weakness -- you might not be able to walk during the charge, but aerial momentum in combination with a jump makes that a rather moot point. A smash attack, however, passes that test with flying colors -- heck, you can aim them too. Mega Man shows us that projectile smashes can work just fine. It's just a bit of odd move placement, though, nothing too serious. :) (implying that anything pertaining to hypothetical Smash Bros. movesets is particularly "serious" haha)

Up special is mostly fine, although I disagree with the lack of vertical movement, seeing as how in Splatoon, you use it pretty much exclusively for horizontal movement. :p

Down special is probably my main issue with the set. Everything I said for neutral special applies here as well. First off, this isn't a very good use of ink at all. In Splatoon, ink is used for mobility, and for outmaneuvering opponents. Here, though, there's no indication that you can move at all, or that if you can, it'd be any faster than dashing. Then there's the ammo limit. Ammo limits A) don't add depth, B) add an annoying limitation to distract the player from the actual battling, and C) are a rather cheap excuse to try to "balance" a character. Rather than limiting how many times you can use an attack, instead change the attack itself for a more elegant solution to the balance issues. The idea of laying down traps while swimming in ink is a neat one, I will say, but I don't think that it's really a good main use for ink as you're making it seem like it is.

Multiple final smashes are fine enough, although I'd change how they're activated; blocking usage of up special when you're offstage, for example, wouldn't end too well. :p

I don't want to come across as too harsh here. While I do disagree with a lot of the decisions here, it's cool to see a different approach to the idea of the Inkling. There's definitely a lot of potential for an Inkling moveset, after all.

(but mine is still the best :awesome:)

I'll add this to the OP once I get the chance, by the way. :)
Thank you for the criticisms. I didn't quite intend for the bombs to be the "main" concept for their entire moveset, moreso the specials. Their normals, aerials, and smashes would use the 5 main weapons classes(Shooters, Chargers, Rollers, Sloshers, and Splatlings). I felt like it would't be right having the Inklings with just one certain bomb so I gave them 6 and divided them into 3 for Neutral B and Down B. With DLC characters not receiving custom moves at all, I wanted to load them up with sub-weapons. They were put into their specials beause I can't quite see them being used all that great. Perhaps the burst bomb for a forward air, but I was thinking the Slosher would be a great weapon for forward and back air.

I do agree that in the situation if you were to need a Burst Bomb, but had to cycle through two more to get to it, its quite unfortunate, but with the bomb switching, I kept Olimar and his Pikmin in mind. He himself can't exactly choose with of the 3 he can choose, but has to cycle to the one he wants such as using a Blue/Yellow (forgot which one) to get that extra throw boost, or a Purple to execute a finishing blow. To me, it feels like it gives the Inkling a more strategic way to come in, and not just spam bombs.

I completely understand and agree with their squid form being still while they are in it, is not the best way, but I also took the 3DS limitations in mind and wanted to keep the concept of swimming in ink to the Kraken Final Smash. If the Inklings were able to cover the entire stage in ink, the 3DS would probably be unforgiving of this so I actually can't see them being implemented like this. I'd love it if they could, but with the 3DS, it doesn't seem likely. There was actually a similar situation with a character from Skull Girls named Eliza, supposed to have botches of blood come out everytime she was attacked and manipulate it to her advantage. The developers weren't quite able to make it work like how they wanted so it was ultimately scrapped for something else. In this moveset, the ink I guess dries up quickly xD.

As for Up B, I know that the Inkling can cover great horizontal distance along with vertical, but that's only through the use of a teammate's position or Squid Beacon. Perhaps I'm being too technical, but I also wanted to put the Squid Beacon into the moveset somehow, but, again, kept their specials more bomb oriented. And even with the Beacons, I was going to limit them to 1 either way. If it was destroyed they would probably still go straight up. I was thinking of changing this to Squid Jump too, since their Intro would probably involve the Super Jump.

I don't quite understand the comment with the Charger to be honest. I know I limited their movement more than the game does, but since most snipers in Splatoon hold their ground unless being attacked, I kinda went with that direction. And by sniper, I mean the role of a sniper, not necessarily everyone who uses a Charger stays put. While it would work great for a Smash attack, I prefer the Splatling for that manner, similar to how Mii Gunners have theirs.

Finally, regarding the Ink Limit, I felt like it had to be put in there someway. Again, probably being too technical with the moveset, but in Splatoon we aren't given infinite ammo, otherwise the Aerosprays would be more broken than what they are now xD. I seem to have somewhat been "Gauge happy" as my Paper Mario moveset (still in the works) has a Stylish Gauge. Granted, the Inklings do have more Ink than they do in their games, seeing how the sub weapons have to be true and take more ink, but you could cycle more than once through all of them. I suppose with that, you could say I added this moreso for bomb spammers. It gives good defense though, since theyre submerging in ink they go lower than both Jigglypuff and G&W.

Again, I appreciate the criticism, its always good than the simple pat on the back or the "it sux, kill urself". Just kinda explaining myself or I suppose "countering" :p Thank you for the criticism again! You do it very constructively ^_^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have a feeling that the Inklings could actually get in SSB4... Splatoon is a huge hit... many Nintendo fans love it and Nintendo is heavily promoting Splatoon a lot... amiibos, Mario Maker, tons of DLC in Splatoon, Mii Fighter costumes, plushes... if not SSB4, then definitely SSB5... no doubt about it.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Thank you for the criticisms. I didn't quite intend for the bombs to be the "main" concept for their entire moveset, moreso the specials. Their normals, aerials, and smashes would use the 5 main weapons classes(Shooters, Chargers, Rollers, Sloshers, and Splatlings). I felt like it would't be right having the Inklings with just one certain bomb so I gave them 6 and divided them into 3 for Neutral B and Down B. With DLC characters not receiving custom moves at all, I wanted to load them up with sub-weapons. They were put into their specials beause I can't quite see them being used all that great. Perhaps the burst bomb for a forward air, but I was thinking the Slosher would be a great weapon for forward and back air.
Remember, the Inklings only use one type of bomb at once in Splatoon. Food for thought.

It'd be completely fine to have the Inkling only use one type of bomb; you'd just need to choose which bomb is right for their playstyle. I'd personally pick the classic Splat Bomb, as A) it was one of the first shown for the game, and B) it lends itself to some interesting play, such as knocking opponents into it before it explodes. Mega Man has quite a few types of shield weapons throughout his series, but he only uses the Leaf Shield in Smash. You don't need to cram every type of bomb in the game into the moveset. Only use what's necessary.
I do agree that in the situation if you were to need a Burst Bomb, but had to cycle through two more to get to it, its quite unfortunate, but with the bomb switching, I kept Olimar and his Pikmin in mind. He himself can't exactly choose with of the 3 he can choose, but has to cycle to the one he wants such as using a Blue/Yellow (forgot which one) to get that extra throw boost, or a Purple to execute a finishing blow. To me, it feels like it gives the Inkling a more strategic way to come in, and not just spam bombs.
Olimar's Pikmin don't have radically different functionality, and they're much quicker to deploy. Olimar can rapid-fire with Pikmin Throw, and aside from Purples not latching on and certain Pikmin dealing more damage in certain moves, his strategy isn't all that different depending on the Pikmin he has. The Inkling's bombs, meanwhile, seem to function rather differently. One sticks to surfaces, another explodes on impact, etc., and they'd most certainly have different strategies.
I completely understand and agree with their squid form being still while they are in it, is not the best way, but I also took the 3DS limitations in mind and wanted to keep the concept of swimming in ink to the Kraken Final Smash. If the Inklings were able to cover the entire stage in ink, the 3DS would probably be unforgiving of this so I actually can't see them being implemented like this. I'd love it if they could, but with the 3DS, it doesn't seem likely. There was actually a similar situation with a character from Skull Girls named Eliza, supposed to have botches of blood come out everytime she was attacked and manipulate it to her advantage. The developers weren't quite able to make it work like how they wanted so it was ultimately scrapped for something else. In this moveset, the ink I guess dries up quickly xD.
Don't let the 3DS's limitations keep you from making the ideal moveset. It is all hypothetical, after all.
As for Up B, I know that the Inkling can cover great horizontal distance along with vertical, but that's only through the use of a teammate's position or Squid Beacon. Perhaps I'm being too technical, but I also wanted to put the Squid Beacon into the moveset somehow, but, again, kept their specials more bomb oriented. And even with the Beacons, I was going to limit them to 1 either way. If it was destroyed they would probably still go straight up. I was thinking of changing this to Squid Jump too, since their Intro would probably involve the Super Jump.
If Sonic can make springs out of thin air, I think the Inkling can get away with Super Jumping without a Squid Beakon. :p
I don't quite understand the comment with the Charger to be honest. I know I limited their movement more than the game does, but since most snipers in Splatoon hold their ground unless being attacked, I kinda went with that direction. And by sniper, I mean the role of a sniper, not necessarily everyone who uses a Charger stays put. While it would work great for a Smash attack, I prefer the Splatling for that manner, similar to how Mii Gunners have theirs.
My point was actually that you were limiting movement less than in Splatoon, since you can use aerial momentum here to propel yourself forwards whilst charging. A smash attack would fit the bill a bit more, as in Splatoon, the charger is about leaving yourself vulnerable and a sitting duck in exchange for a powerful attack afterwards. The Splatling might actually fit better on a special than a smash attach, since you retain mobility while using it in the game.
Finally, regarding the Ink Limit, I felt like it had to be put in there someway. Again, probably being too technical with the moveset, but in Splatoon we aren't given infinite ammo, otherwise the Aerosprays would be more broken than what they are now xD. I seem to have somewhat been "Gauge happy" as my Paper Mario moveset (still in the works) has a Stylish Gauge. Granted, the Inklings do have more Ink than they do in their games, seeing how the sub weapons have to be true and take more ink, but you could cycle more than once through all of them. I suppose with that, you could say I added this moreso for bomb spammers. It gives good defense though, since theyre submerging in ink they go lower than both Jigglypuff and G&W.
As I said earlier, game mechanics don't have to be translated one-for-one into Smash. Examples of ammo mechanics being omitted are all over the place in Smash: Yoshi has unlimited eggs, Link has unlimited arrows and bombs, Samus has unlimited missiles, the Pokemon have unlimited PP, Olimar has unlimited Pikmin, Rosalina has unlimited Star Bits, and Mega Man has unlimited... well everything really. Limited move usage is Robin's thing, and it's the focus of her playstyle. If it's not meant to be the focus -- which it shouldn't be for the Inkling; that should be the ink -- don't shoehorn it in for no good reason.

As for balance, this isn't an elegant or organic, or frankly good, way to balance things at all. It's just an annoying limitation that players need to keep track of, which only hinders gameplay. Rather than limiting how many times you can use the moves via some ammo limit, make the moves less spammable -- or less effective when spammed -- by themselves. I once again bring up Mega Man as an example. There are quite a few weapons in the Mega Man series that might be broken if translated directly into Smash without an ammo limit, but I'll bring up perhaps the most infamous example, the Metal Blade. In Mega Man 2, it's rapid-fire, fast, powerful, and can be angled. Pretty OP. So, what did Sakurai do when translating it into Smash? Did he add an ammo limit to make it less spammable? No. Instead, he tweaked the move itself. He slowed the Metal Blade down and removed the rapid-fire, now making it a manageable projectile to counter. That sorta thing is what you should try to do -- nerf the moves themselves, rather than tacking on an unnecessary mechanic.
Again, I appreciate the criticism, its always good than the simple pat on the back or the "it sux, kill urself". Just kinda explaining myself or I suppose "countering" :p Thank you for the criticism again! You do it very constructively ^_^
No problem, happy to help! :)

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
The Splatling strikes me as odd on side special, mainly because chargeable moves, projectiles, and chargeable projectiles are more often than not on neutral special (assuming that they're on a special input at all ofc). Looking at examples from the game, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pit come to mind when it comes to chargeable projectiles, all of which are on neutral special. DK and Captain Falcon are examples of non-projectile charging moves, whereas Mario and Falco are examples of non-charging projectiles. Chargeable projectiles like the Splatling just make the most sense overall as a neutral special.

Splat Bombs would work best on down special because they're sort of a "trap". They explode after a couple of seconds, so instead of using them like a normal projectile, you'd want to use them as traps, to knock opponents into them or stop them from approaching. Traps and other "miscellaneous" move types are most often found on Down Special. Perhaps the closest analog to this particular move would be one of the Mii Gunner's customs, where he/she puts down a little bomb that goes "dink dink" as it lands on the ground, and then explodes after a second. It's a down special, and like the Splat Bomb, fits best there.

Geez, did I really just write three paragraphs on what button you press to do what thing?
To quickly touch on this I used Snake as inspiration for the neutral b. And while I don't believe it has been done with a projectile yet, Luigi, Pikachu, Ike and Kirby all have a chargeable side-b move so it can be done. :) I want to make sure that I could keep the Inkling's mobile while charging this move. Although, I guess since King DeDeDe's Rocket Hammer is a chargeable down special I could theoretically just switch Splatling and Roller. The Splat Bomb IMO just fits naturally on the neutral special, because I used Snake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom