• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I got two matches in, waited for quite a while, tried restarting, too many connections in the server...okay...
But hey, it's fun when it works.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Just finished up with the testfire. Here is pretty much my experience in a nutshell:

- Got into the tutorial without a hitch. Took some time to get used to the controls, but I got through it fairly quickly.

- Picked a weapon, tried to get a team aaaannd.... got stuck from there. Like I couldn't get any matches for like the entire time of the hour the event was supposed to be. Spent alot of that time in Squid jump.. lol

- Finally at the end of the event, just when I thought things were over, matchs finally started to kick in. Was a miracle XD

- They started lasting past the time. I guess they extended it. In the first few matches I... wasn't too great XD. Got splatted left and right. Pesky chargers kept sniping me.

- Eventually, after failing with the charger, and the two shooting weapons, I tried the roller. I found it very fun and effective to maneuver through the ink, and sneak up on unsuspecting players.

- And that was about it. after that matchs only lasted for like a minute due to connection derps and losses..

How was the testfire for everyone else? Anyone find any good strategies? For me I had issues getting the charger to work... I would charge it up, yet despite having players in the bull's eye.. I always missed. :/

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
How was the testfire for everyone else? :/
I played after I found out it was live again and decided to try every weapon this time. Charger suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, and I'm not a big fan of the roller, so basically Splattershot boys for life.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I played after I found out it was live again and decided to try every weapon this time. Charger suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, and I'm not a big fan of the roller, so basically Splattershot boys for life.
Yeah I couldn't get the charger to work for nothing either XD.
I found the roller useful, since I like to be a sneaky son of a kraken and sneak up and splat people XD

Near the last string of matches I was in, I noticed some serious connection issues... There were the ink lag.. a bit of teleporting, and even a few moments where I got splatted/steamrolled by players that weren't even there... I really hope this isn't going to be the sort of deal where one bad connection can cause the entire battle to lag, sorta like in smash...

Last edited:

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I used charger, and I did splat a few inklings with it but overall it was pretty tough to use.
It might be easier with some practice though, maybe you could get really good at it. In Turf War, I think chargers are not good. But maybe in that territory Ranked Battle mode they could probably be really useful to get people out of that area.

Last edited:
I top scored with the charger every round i played. Its definitely my favorite weapon type as i originally expected even though it's probably the worst game mode for it.
Certainly the type i will use for most of my time with the game.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Interestingly enough, I left my character idle in the tutorial area while I did other things. That part must not require internet because you can romp around in there for as long as you want.
Until you leave that is. Then it kicks you due to "server maintenance"
XD

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Reposting since hype drowns things out.

So understand there's been a lot of hype with the demo this weekend, but this thread is meant specifically for discussing Inklings in Smash.

Just as a reminder, if your post has next to nothing to do with/is not relating to Smash, it belongs on Squidboards, not this thread.
On a lighter note:

Edit: This just showed up on Splatoon's official tumblr

1 more week . . . .
Edit: Testfire is today, yuss, and now this showed up on their tumblr.

6 more days . . . .
This is up on the official JP twitter:

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About the global test fire, it was cool! I thought that I couldn't try it, but I came home right on time. It still have to get the "gyroscope" aim, and I'll be better.

About weapons, I also had trouble using the charger. I really think that it's must be used differently, and stay far from the fight. And being sneaky, like hiding in the ink on upper platforms.

The roller is fun, and they really gave it a powerful super-weapon with it. No wonder many people were playing it.

I had the most fun with the Splattershot Jr. That shield can really do wonders.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I really can't bring myself to enjoy the splatter shot weapons. They just don't feel as good as the roller and charger. Oh well.

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
u guys actually want this thing in Smash? I mean, the game hasn't come out yet, it COULD suck, and really, how would that fit in fighting other Nintendo all stars like DHD, Mario, Link, and DK?

And DONT SAY ROY IN MELEE> HE WAS FROM AN ALREADY SUCCESSFUL FRANCHISE.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
u guys actually want this thing in Smash? I mean, the game hasn't come out yet, it COULD suck, and really, how would that fit in fighting other Nintendo all stars like DHD, Mario, Link, and DK?

Not gr8 b8 m8. i r8 8/88

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Assuming you aren't a troll (you are):

1. Inklings are not things
2. The game hasn't come out yet, but people's impressions over the demo are mostly positive. The naysayers are quite rare.
3. Even if the game sucks, what about it? There are two newcomers from a terrible game in Smash 4 (and the game isn't Uprising) anyways.
4. Fire Emblem wasn't what I would call successful back in the early 00s. In fact, before Awakening it was a pretty niche franchise.
5. If characters like Robin, Lucina and Dark Pit are allowed to fight side-by-side with Marios and Sonics, why can't Inkling do the same?

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Assuming you aren't a troll (you are):

3. Even if the game sucks, what about it? There are two newcomers from a terrible game in Smash 4 (and the game isn't Uprising) anyways.
What game? Awakening?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm sure that our "not a troll" troll is against the Wii Fit Trainer and the Miis :awesome:

Considering how Nintendo is pushing Splatoon forward, it's already not a "small licence"

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
Language? History? All they seem to do is shoot each other with ink.
Also, @ Reila Reila , why do you have to assume that I am not a troll to explain? You just had to tell me the reasons.
Anyways, you are right, I see the flaws in my logic.
P.S. You should really go see the history of Lucina/Dark pit becoming their own character. Robin was the new hero of the FE series. Might I suggest characters like WFT and Villager.
And @ BandanaWaddleDee BandanaWaddleDee , I think ur right.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Language? History? All they seem to do is shoot each other with ink.
Also, @ Reila Reila , why do you have to assume that I am not a troll to explain? You just had to tell me the reasons.
Anyways, you are right, I see the flaws in my logic.
P.S. You should really go see the history of Lucina/Dark pit becoming their own character. Robin was the new hero of the FE series. Might I suggest characters like WFT and Villager.
And @ BandanaWaddleDee BandanaWaddleDee , I think ur right.
Yep. All they do is shoot eachother.

All :4robinm: does is kill random people.
All :4wario: does is ride around on a bike and fart on people.

There's story and depth into the world first shown off at the first Trailer.

The Direct a few weeks ago just massively expanded this all.

Thanks for trying to troll though.

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
Wario-in SMASH, yeah
Robin-Yeah, a summary

And yeah, ur welcome. "Troll", whatever you mean. Also, why U get to say your opinions but I can't? Is there an Inkling hate thread that I've yet to see that is still active?
Anyways, I've apologized, but you people are too obsessed with this Inkling "person".
Also, would the main picture be the girl or the boy?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Wario-in SMASH, yeah
Robin-Yeah, a summary

And yeah, ur welcome. "Troll", whatever you mean. Also, why U get to say your opinions but I can't? Is there an Inkling hate thread that I've yet to see that is still active?
Anyways, I've apologized, but you people are too obsessed with this Inkling "person".
Also, would the main picture be the girl or the boy?
The girl, she is the one advertised the most. How are we obsessed we speculate on her getting in to Smash Bros on a Inkling support thread. Just like every single other thread in this forum.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
if i were really a troll id go to ic and snake and stuff....
I inspected most of your posts, since I noticed you haven't posted much. You seem to be a "veteran campaign" type guy. Hey, I can understand that. We all wish some characters weren't cut. But to me, I'd prefer if the DLC was "NOT" nothing but characters that have been in Smash before.. That would be absolutely boring to have no new faces at all, especially with all the options there are.

We also all have our opinions and preferences. To me, I see Roy as nothing but a clone, whose niche in the Fire emblem line up has since been filled. (And lets face it. Save for a final smash, not much would change about the guy.. We have proof from Mewtwo. That is why I am against characters that have been in the game returning.. at least DLC wise. They would just have tweaks to their old movesets, and that FS. Thats it. Would it be cool to, as an example, have a young link with a new moveset based around his masks? Yes. However since he has been in smash before, they would more than likely take the lazy route and rehash his old stuff.)

Both Ridley and K. Rool have their followings for a reason. Despite his supposed disconfirmation, Ridley is an iconic recurring villain in the series. K. Rool is also a popular recurring villain (save for a few recent titles), with a fairly large move pool. We as smashers like to try to detract from other campaigns only out of fear. We have this mentality that <insert character here> could "steal" the slot of <insert character here.>.. Because of this, fans can get very hostile towards threats to their soo precious character they want to see in the game. It was a bad mentality during the game's production, and it is still a bad mentality now.

As for Lucina/Dark Pit.. I am aware of their history myself, despite people's ignorant belief that they were slot hogs (which isn't a thing by the way folks..) They were a last minute thing. Made from alternate costumes of the respective characters they are clones of. They are easy to make at that. It wouldn't make any difference if these sort of clones weren't in the game, as it wouldn't effect work time in any way.. I have no idea why people like to think like that.

Anyways, I have really started to think that "number of titles" in a franchise, or age of a franchise is moot in this. Kid Icarus for example only had 2 titles before Pit joined brawl. Then we also have Dark pit who was technically only a thing for one title. Heck Shulk's game Xenoblade was not only fairly young (I mean it was a wii title after all), but it was also technically the first and only game in it's series. (With the sequel not being out yet, and it being a spiritual sequel at that.. Also not counting the remake of the first either.) So under the logic fans like to use to detract characters, Shulk shouldn't have been in the game at all, since he "broke the rules"..

To me, this is all fair game. The only rule here is the character has to be a video game character. That's it. Nintendo has specified all video game characters are eligible for the ballot. This includes 3rd party characters, indie characters... any character to be honest. In my opinion if the character fits, and if there is large enough fan demand for it, they WILL have DLC made for them. This is going to be paid DLC after all... They wouldn't make DLC of a character that isn't going to be bought and downloaded very much. Splatoon is a hyped franchise, with much fan hype. It's fairly positively viewed in regards to the demo, so it should be received fairly well. Plus, their game comes out in less than a week. So there you have it. A video game to call their own, and a fan following. Sounds like a suitable campaign to me.

It's not an "obsession" by the way. It's a fanbase. Just like what you see for Fire emblem, and what you see for Starfox. Considering how you have actively willingly gone into the Inkling and K. Rool campaigns just to try to downplay them, it's not a surprise you would be met with hate, and anger.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
*Avoiding drama caused by someone who obviously just wants drama*

Oh, so before I said the splat roller would be a good side-b, and act almost like Wario's bike or Jr's clown kart, but maybe it should act the same but be a down b instead.
You press down b, initial start up or spreading ink getting it on the ground, press left or right, squish people and lay ink, press down b again to cancel OR you're stuck in this for a set amount of time until you run out of ink on that specific move.

I only make the change cause I think side-b should be the charger, that snipey thing! You'd press side b and see a lil circle to tell ya where you're shooting, and if you hit an opponent right on that circle, lots of knockback. And paint is strewn along the way of fire too.

Also, when thinking of an up-b recovery move... it's gatta be the super jump, right? Some start up, but able to reach great lengths.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I inspected most of your posts, since I noticed you haven't posted much. You seem to be a "veteran campaign" type guy. Hey, I can understand that. We all wish some characters weren't cut. But to me, I'd prefer if the DLC was "NOT" nothing but characters that have been in Smash before.. That would be absolutely boring to have no new faces at all, especially with all the options there are.

We also all have our opinions and preferences. To me, I see Roy as nothing but a clone, whose niche in the Fire emblem line up has since been filled. (And lets face it. Save for a final smash, not much would change about the guy.. We have proof from Mewtwo. That is why I am against characters that have been in the game returning.. at least DLC wise. They would just have tweaks to their old movesets, and that FS. Thats it. Would it be cool to, as an example, have a young link with a new moveset based around his masks? Yes. However since he has been in smash before, they would more than likely take the lazy route and rehash his old stuff.)

Both Ridley and K. Rool have their followings for a reason. Despite his supposed disconfirmation, Ridley is an iconic recurring villain in the series. K. Rool is also a popular recurring villain (save for a few recent titles), with a fairly large move pool. We as smashers like to try to detract from other campaigns only out of fear. We have this mentality that <insert character here> could "steal" the slot of <insert character here.>.. Because of this, fans can get very hostile towards threats to their soo precious character they want to see in the game. It was a bad mentality during the game's production, and it is still a bad mentality now.

As for Lucina/Dark Pit.. I am aware of their history myself, despite people's ignorant belief that they were slot hogs (which isn't a thing by the way folks..) They were a last minute thing. Made from alternate costumes of the respective characters they are clones of. They are easy to make at that. It wouldn't make any difference if these sort of clones weren't in the game, as it wouldn't effect work time in any way.. I have no idea why people like to think like that.

Anyways, I have really started to think that "number of titles" in a franchise, or age of a franchise is moot in this. Kid Icarus for example only had 2 titles before Pit joined brawl. Then we also have Dark pit who was technically only a thing for one title. Heck Shulk's game Xenoblade was not only fairly young (I mean it was a wii title after all), but it was also technically the first and only game in it's series. (With the sequel not being out yet, and it being a spiritual sequel at that.. Also not counting the remake of the first either.) So under the logic fans like to use to detract characters, Shulk shouldn't have been in the game at all, since he "broke the rules"..

To me, this is all fair game. The only rule here is the character has to be a video game character. That's it. Nintendo has specified all video game characters are eligible for the ballot. This includes 3rd party characters, indie characters... any character to be honest. In my opinion if the character fits, and if there is large enough fan demand for it, they WILL have DLC made for them. This is going to be paid DLC after all... They wouldn't make DLC of a character that isn't going to be bought and downloaded very much. Splatoon is a hyped franchise, with much fan hype. It's fairly positively viewed in regards to the demo, so it should be received fairly well. Plus, their game comes out in less than a week. So there you have it. A video game to call their own, and a fan following. Sounds like a suitable campaign to me.

It's not an "obsession" by the way. It's a fanbase. Just like what you see for Fire emblem, and what you see for Starfox. Considering how you have actively willingly gone into the Inkling and K. Rool campaigns just to try to downplay them, it's not a surprise you would be met with hate, and anger.
I like how he said in a previous comment how Inkling and King. K Rool wouldn't fit fighting Nintendo icons like Mario, Link and DK. This might be a little off topic but King K. Rool IS DK'S F****** MAIN ANTAGONIST. HE FIGHTS HIM IN THE GAMES. HOW THE **** WOULD HE NOT FIT. But other characters are fine. Bulls***

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
I totally agree. BUt wait what? I said that about inking,right? If i said that about k roll I was wrong.

Also, @ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker , instead of ignore like Sonsa, why'd you waste your time writing a page of stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I totally agree. BUt wait what? I said that about inking,right? If i said that about k roll I was wrong.
Inkling still fits in. The style of the game meshes with Smash Bros. It has a pool of moveset potential, its unique. I'm not even a huge fan of Inkling but I think they deserve to get in, especially over Dr. Mario.

hate that guy. I know he didn't take up development time but still.

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
Warning Received
OMG. DID YOU NOT READ @ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker post about Lucina/DP. This is the same for Dr Mario

THERES NOTHING TO HATE

With or without dev time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom