• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Dropping Summary (I did not coin the term)

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I think Ink drop is just fine. It's funny in my opinion.

*is sorry he really couldn't contribute to the thread, XD*

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
No, I don't. That's why I used the word "spiteful" instead of "jealous".

Well, that's your opinion. I think 2 days is definetly enough time for people to be comfortable with it, especially on the internet. What difference does it make, anyway?
Ha, the reason I am pushing it is very simple. When I first saw the name, a very gross image popped into my head. When I told my Smash friends about it, they thought it was stupid. That's all. I don't want credit. Heck, I really don't care if Ink gets credit for it until the end of time. Make a sticky. DISCOVERER OF BRAWL MOVES! With an entry that says "Trip - discovered by Inkslinger!" I will make no protest at all. This I swear. You can quote me on it. I don't want credit, I don't even hold this against Ink (I actually hold it against Gimpy, whom I greatly respected up until his attitude about this).

Just, for the love of sanity, don't keep calling it Ink Drop. Its embarrasing and juvenile and makes it even harder for the Smash community to get respect from other fighting game communities if we have such a stupid name for such a common, basic move.

... before I leave I need to say, everyone drop the name thing and he'll leave, that's NOT what this thread is about
Yes, this IS what this thread is about, read the first sentence of the first topic - he says right there this thread is to explain the name. The discussion of the USE of the technique should go in the other threads already designated for that.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Ink dropping sounds really corny in my opinion, and he probalyl only named it after himself cause he wanted to be famous for "discovering" it, even though its just a new thing implemented in the game.

How about leaving it what Sakurai calls it? Its clearly something IMPLEMENTED in the game and has already been named.

Let Sakurai name his things tyvm.

Also, Wavedashing is a glitch. So dont count that. Plus, at least it doesnt sound corny.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this is going to be my final say on this.

The subject is NOT an amalgamation of one player's ingenuity and his subsequent exploits of the game's mechanics. The subject is CLEARLY an inherent element crafted by the SSBB development team. Therefore, it would be deemed reasonable, logical and just plain respectful to call said subject whatever term its creators deem suitable.

This technique is on the same level of an Air Dodge. People are going to look pretty stupid when Brawl releases in February and the official name of the technique is printed in clearly legible ink in every one of your instruction manuals.

-SynikaL

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Ha, the reason I am pushing it is very simple. When I first saw the name, a very gross image popped into my head. When I told my Smash friends about it, they thought it was stupid. That's all. I don't want credit. Heck, I really don't care if Ink gets credit for it until the end of time. Make a sticky. DISCOVERER OF BRAWL MOVES! With an entry that says "Trip - discovered by Inkslinger!" I will make no protest at all. This I swear. You can quote me on it. I don't want credit, I don't even hold this against Ink (I actually hold it against Gimpy, whom I greatly respected up until his attitude about this).

Just, for the love of sanity, don't keep calling it Ink Drop. Its embarrasing and juvenile and makes it even harder for the Smash community to get respect from other fighting game communities if we have such a stupid name for such a common, basic move.

I never said you wanted credit for it.

Most other fighting games have funny names for advance tech.'s as well. It is not going to lower respect from other communities. It's not like we ever had any, anyway.

The subject is NOT an amalgamation of one player's ingenuity and his subsequent exploits of the game's mechanics. The subject is CLEARLY an inherent element crafted by the SSBB development team. Therefore, it would be deemed reasonable, logical and just plain respectful to call said subject whatever term its creators deem suitable.

This technique is on the same level of an Air Dodge. People are going to look pretty stupid when Brawl releases in February and the official name of the technique is printed in clearly legible ink in every one of your instruction manuals.

-SynikaL
I can agree with this if it turns out the Ink Drop is not cancellable.

axemangx

Smash Champion

-SynikaL

I know. These people are trying to make something big out of some technique, most likely for mindgames.

Mario sliding is probally some kind of a joke from Sakurai though. I could see some kind of screeching halt and attacking. It was bound to happen.

You see, Sakurai is making this more better for a reason. Hes trying to make Smash more, you know. Realistic. (Well, you know what I mean. Action stuff.) And he wants to add things like Somersaults, Wall Jumps, bouncing off people, and so forth. Dont you see?

Just a technique man. Just a technique.

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
The name is distasteful because the technique is named after some random guy trying to make a claim to fame when fame is not warranted. Nevermind the slang, innuendo, or whatever that's associated with the phrase. If he wants the technique named after himself, then he's going to have to develop it and discover its applications, not just observe a basic mechanic of the game that was specifically built in by the developers.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
I can agree with this if it turns out the Ink Drop is not cancellable.
If the cancel itself, or the combination of the subject and cancel produces results beyond the foresight of the development team, then it is an amalgam and product of a player's ingenuity, therefore leaving itself open to being coined by the creator.

If not, I'd say similar logic applies.

-SynikaL

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
INKSLINGER IS NOT THE ONE WHO SUGGESTED THE EFFING NAME.

Jesus. Read a little bit before you start assuming things.

It was HugS and Gimpy who suggested it.

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
I honestly don't see why people care. Ink drop is fine. Its not like someone is trying to change the word "wavedash" or anything. Its just a term, and getting bent out of shape over it is a bit immature. Who cares what its called as long as you can do it, if proven effective?

Zauron said:
Because "turtling" isn't an odd name for "camping" in Third Strike?

Zarckoh

Smash Apprentice
This Ink Drop techinque is just a basic move. Is like if someone names the dashing with part of his username just because they were the first ones to prove that it was already in the game, even the CPU made it in a trailer, is not a move like the wavedash which is more complicated, this is a new basic technique like gliding that should have a name according to its function. I am totally sure that it has already an official name, made by the developers. I just hope to get it in a future How to Play update and that is the way I am going to call it.

axemangx

Smash Champion
This Ink Drop techinque is just a basic move. Is like if someone names the dashing with part of his username just because they were the first ones to prove that it was already in the game, even the CPU made it in a trailer, is not a move like the wavedash which is more complicated, this is a new basic technique like gliding that should have a name according to its function. I am totally sure that it has already an official name, made by the developers. I just hope to get it in a future How to Play update and that is the way I am going to call it.
Wow. Do you really think Sakurai would call it something corny like Ink-drop? He put it in the game. He'll name it whatever he wishes. That or the developers.

Leave it to them. Its just a **** technique.

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet

In that case, it sounds like a moderator who is trying to make the boards sound like they're trying desperately to associate these boards with Brawl as soon as possible for the purpose of fame and popularity. Lame.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice

He still said we keep the name because he was the one who first used it in the other thread. Just because he didn't suggest it doesn't mean he wants it to stay for the wrong reasons.

Seriously, let's just call it Tripping and such until Sakurai names it. There's absolutely no reason to keep the name "Ink-drop" other than "it sounds cool and/or unique".

Tinister

Smash Cadet
The people who don't use these boards will never know ANY of the terms. I never said or suggested that those who are not competitive players should or will know about this term. The only point of even HAVING a name is so that competetives of this board can comforatble use a term that everyone understands. There's already a name that most active users of this board know about, and there is no point in changing it.

Your entire post is full of assumptions and disillusions.
Haha, what? Are you honestly A) oblivious to how this community's metagame ripples through other communities (Gamefaqs, etc) and B) saying that anyone who's going to be competitive has the time to be active here all the time and willing to study theoretical techniques for a game that they've yet to play?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
That would be B. Well, pretty much. Not before the game is out, but afterward, yes.

Goober

Smash Apprentice
I did not attend the E for all Expo, nor do I know inkslinger at all. But I will call this technique the ink drop until the day I die just to spite Zauron. Seriously man, you care too much.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Good Lord, you had to bump it up, didn't you?

Spite is not a good thing, friend.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I did not attend the E for all Expo, nor do I know inkslinger at all. But I will call this technique the ink drop until the day I die just to spite Zauron. Seriously man, you care too much.
What can I say? I take Smash and the community VERY seriously.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
If tripping actually does become a major technique (which isn't actually assured), it'd be important for it to have a good, simple, descriptive name like the rest of the base techniques. I actually doubt the dojo site will have an update solely on tripping, so it's not a bad idea to solidify a good name for it.

I don't think he overreacted.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I agree with this. >_>
And I don't find anything wrong with the words "Ink Drop" either, I like it. :p

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Can we all please agree on this:

If Ink Dropping isn't cancellable, we call it tripping and Ink Dropping never existed, but if it IS cancellable, we call in Ink Dropping- since Inkslinger IS the one who proposed the cancellable idea, and is the one who was the first to perform/analyse it and it's uses afterward.

This name has also been floating around for a while, so it doesn't make sense to change it.

However, if it ISNT cancellable, it's ridiculous to call a standard move planned by the devs something relating to the person who first used it.

K?

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice

If Ink Dropping isn't cancellable, we call it tripping and Ink Dropping never existed, but if it IS cancellable, we call in Ink Dropping- since Inkslinger IS the one who proposed the cancellable idea, and is the one who was the first to perform/analyse it and it's uses afterward.

This name has also been floating around for a while, so it doesn't make sense to change it.

However, if it ISNT cancellable, it's ridiculous to call a standard move planned by the devs something relating to the person who first used it.

K?
Nope, because it's ridiculous to call a standard move planned by the devs something relating to the person who first used it even if they managed to cancel it first.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman

K?
I'd be fine with that. I'd probably still call it a Trip-Cancel to my RL friends in casual conversation, but I can live with it being called an Ink Drop on the boards when you cancel a Trip if everyone else still calls it that (but only if the devs never mention cancelling it as something they specifically intended it to do).

I just don't want it called anything weird if it is really a standard move planned by the devs and not some special unintended trick.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Well, I can't cure ignorance. (@ Joshua)

Zauron, thank you for being tolerant.

xstompx

Smash Cadet
Ink drop is as good a name as any, if you ask me. I like Mr. GAW's proposal.

Zek

Smash Ace
Sorry but I think giving a special name to a completely basic ability in the game is even more ridiculous than the "advanced technique." If we're just talking about the act of falling down, it should be called a trip or stumble or something. Or even just a drop. But leave out the meaningless adjective please.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well it seems like everyone is pretty fine with calling what Yoshi does in that video plainly tripping. The problem is with what to call what happens after, right?

Seriously.. would it really make sense to talk about ink-dropping out of a shine if this was a debate about Jump Cancelling? If a trip is cancellable, and has practical application, why the hell not just put those two words together? It immediately describes it. Trip-cancel. Hell, we may be able to trip-cancel out of a shine to some helpful result. Personally, i think it'd be stupid to talk about zekking or voitting or joshing or zuaring or taying out of a shine.

I just.. gah.. I don't have the patience to post in these threads anymore. I'm just gonna reiterate the few points I've made and be done. Personally, I'll call it Tripping or Trip-cancelling, unless a more sensible name becomes widely accepted. I will not call it inkdropping. In any case.. Ink has no claim to this technique. If you think he discovered it, you're wrong. Zauron first brought it up. If you think he pioneered it's use, you're wrong. He couldn't adequately recreate it, nor is he even sure that what he did was a Trip-cancel. What happened may very well be what Wyvern has put the time into investigating and discussing, the dash pivot (or pivot dash, i forget) cancel.

Ink has done nothing deserving here. While he first didn't seem to care about the name, as he didn't coin it, he now does cling to it for completely vain reasons. If Ink Drop persists, whatever. I guess there's nothing I can really do about that. But Ink has done nothing to merit it being named after him. He doesn't know the specifics of its execution or use. He doesn't know the nuances of its application in the metagame. He just stumbled (or tripped) into doing something weird, that may or many not actually be what we're even talking about.

Seems pretty lame to name it after him.

Kamaka

Smash Cadet
I didn't mean to make this so long, but once I started writing it out, the idea I had for what this move/technique actually is and may be used for became more clear to me. Please correct me if I am obviously wrong about something as I haven't played the demo, but from what I've seen/read, this idea seems the most plausible:

Fundamentally, this is just a roll that leaves you in a down position. You can then probably choose to attack, stand up, or roll in either direction (which is what we've seen so far.) Essentially, the character is DIVING out of harm's way (Mario is very obviously doing that), so to call it a trip is to say that the character is doing it unintentionally, where it is most likely regarded as a purposeful, defensive technique. (It's like normal roll dodging, but a bit less predictable. I mean you're clearly invincible, just like in a roll)

As far as the execution of it (including at a standstill), I can only speculate, but it would make sense that if you slam the control stick in a direction and instantly release it the character would DIVE in that direction. (Just imagine it. Seems simple and intuitive.) It also explains why it may have accidentally occurred while people were trying to dash dance. The biggest problem I see is that you would think of all the people who tried the demo with the classic controller, something as simple as tapping the control stick to the left of right would have been tried.

With that stuff in mind, I believe the move will be called a DIVE, and we will probably see it on the Dojo, so Tripping, Inkdropping, and any dash-dance-hooplah terminology will probably all be irrelevant.

If we are in fact able to cancel the move, then I suppose calling that specific technique inkgrabbing, or inksmashing or whatever wouldn't be unreasonable, but I suspect what you experienced was some sort of mechanic where if you dive PAST someone it is possible to grab onto them. Who knows. Not me. Just felt like sharing my ideas about what the technique is actually meant to be. I mean making the characters accidentally trip seems a bit silly for a fighting game, don't you?

---
edit:

It also occurred to me, whether this is a dive, drop, trip, whatever... Generally in smash you can't exactly have characters ON TOP of eachother, so maybe if you try to dive, and you would land exactly where an opponent is standing, it might automatically cause you to perform a grab from behind them. This would give people more options when they're using a character who's forward and backwards throws are completely different (like Mario)

Mama

Smash Ace
Right place at the right time > everything.
Lol. A lot of advanced techniques are discovered by accident. The concept or idea is found, seeded, and will later be experimented with to create something great. Give Ink his props in some way. Whether it be in a stickied thread that gives credit to founders of moves or some other way. A name in a move may not be necessary though but to each his own.

Top Bottom