• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Hmm...

HMM...

Chrom was defeated in yesterday's trailer by Captain Falcon.

Captain Falcon is playable but Chrom is not.

Chrom is dressed like an X Naut.

The X Nauts were defeated by Paper Mario.

I think that means Paper Mario is confirmed, you guys.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Love the new OP! Though, you should consider changing that neon-green text.

Anyways... Paper Mario's Moveset has been discussed here a lot, and I think we have agreed that it would end up in one of three ways:
1. Paper Mario fights without the assistance of his partners.
2. Paper Mario fights using some of his partners, which he summons out of hammerspace to use for that particular attack.
3. Paper Mario is assisted by partners who always follow him and change his moveset slightly depending on who is selected. A special move would be used to cycle through his partners.

Basically, I'm wondering which option appeals to each of you?
huh... Why the custom post color options exists if people don't know about it?

It's fine I removed it but people don't know that you can hide it.

1 is really unlikely and imo, shouldn't be the way to go. They are so important in the series that I just don't see him without them.

2 is ok but it makes them let's say not unique. That would basically like using normal attack which doesn't change anything. UNLESS however you do trick with customization now that would be ok because you could have a set of partners.

3 would be the best but now, I don't think it would happen exactly like you describe. What would be used to customise if you have all of them ready? Maybe their attacks which could work with a flower points system but what about the switcher? Also, I tend to believe that they will either be in background and follow or just only there to attack but not follow on field that might be a problem.

You can alter the mechanics but it seems to me that it's more likely to get a customisation mechanic with 2 or 3 but not the options themselves. Though, 1 shouldn't happen because they are considered important enough for me to use them.

Option 3 sounds amazing, however I feel the limitations from the 3DS would cause some issues. I'm all in for option 2 as well.
The ice climbers thing? The April direct promised 60 fps which leads me to think that they fixed those optimisations problems. I also don't think it matters that much for switching since you don't switch a full character but moves.

Like I said, I don't think it will happen as described for 2 and 3 but there would be a different customisation system. That's how I see it.

Hmm...

HMM...

Chrom was defeated in yesterday's trailer by Captain Falcon.

Captain Falcon is playable but Chrom is not.

Chrom is dressed like an X Naut.

The X Nauts were defeated by Paper Mario.

I think that means Paper Mario is confirmed, you guys.

That one was... out of there. Let's put our energy with those posts for straws :)

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
4 replies in a day when I come back? Wow, I called it but thanks for your support and to confirm me that there will be better support for threads like this one.

Yeah, I'm even impressed that it could look THAT good. Especially the counterarguments section if you got why I choose those window :) There will be more changes like this so it can be even better!

I found this font so cute. It's hard to explain but it just look... lovely. That capital W though... is gorgeous!

There's more activity because of the announcement Monday that as funny as it sounds doesn't have anything to do directly with Paper Mario but stuff like sal leak confirmed partially true and not the finals newcomers. What helps a lot of threads like this is 4 fe rep because it gives an idea that if 4 fe rep exist in it, I expect more rep for other series too so it boost chances of characters like vaati or Paper Mario. Though, the sal not being the final newcomers was expected since my way of seeing Ridley says that it would be questionable to not be playable and if it's true, sal shouldn't be the remainning one. What I'm glad is that it's now clear so people will understands that and better support which does affect this one (check geno and bowser jr thread those kept dying before and this one had a lack for some days).

Hey, I remember you asked to be in the supporters while I was OP but for some reasons, you're not there. I'll fix it now but that's weird I check and watch this thread every time.

Added! thanks. I put every ideas in the OP as it follows the showcase of my "infinite potential" so, if you have anything to add, post it and chances are that I could add it in the OP.

added! The main reasons I liked toon link more than link even if he was a semi clone was because of the shade of green used. I tend to like flashy colors especially green. That and the whole design. Paper Mario not only has that design that just fits me but also isn't a clone/semi-clone naturally. So, in this way, yes I think he's better than toon link.

added! Like @ Rockaphin Rockaphin just said, I was too very upset on how the general repping of the game got screwed up and now, I'm convinced that it was due to how they managed the implementation of SSE which is now removed. I simply don't understand that just TTYD alone doesn't have more recognition but the whole series? This is absurd since all the music you named are more than smash material (that and we believe in you mario!). A single music is the bare minimum like honestly with 4 fe rep and a third party trophy rep, there's really no excuse to have better repping now. Let's hope it can get as far and fantastic as getting a playable rep. It can happen since we believe in you mario! :)

Also, I do understand the hate towards sticker star simply because I explained a page earlier how the concept doesn't make any sense at all. It's like a fake RPG if you want. spm however, made sense but I still have to play one day (I just want to focus on thread for now but we'll see).

Finally, I suggest to have another stage idea in the OP. I know that the one here is probably the best idea but I noticed that you can have other stages that unfortunately I'm not creative enough to do them. So, if you could give an idea for the OP, it would be
:awesome:
I just feels so right to put Paper Mario in & why stop with 6 Mario representatives ? Paper Mario is basically a different series alone in my opinion. I mean Wario got his own series and he started out in a regular Mario game is Icon could be a Paper Airplane !
Why stopped there ? Assist trophies are a good way to show off some characters too ! If PM was in (which he should) his assist trophies could conclude, Mimi who cries "Mimimimimimimimimimi" and turns into her spider form and crawls around the stage, damaging everybody in her path.
Or the awesome Hawk himself, Rawk Hawk who could lower down a girder and hang off of it dropping items ! The possibilities are ENDLESS with this series, cause the game is just that good !

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
I played Paper Mario when I was 10 and said it was my favorite game of all time. Now, it has been 8 years I can can still say the same!

I've been asking for Paper Mario since brawl.
Sign me up!!!

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I just feels so right to put Paper Mario in & why stop with 6 Mario representatives ? Paper Mario is basically a different series alone in my opinion. I mean Wario got his own series and he started out in a regular Mario game is Icon could be a Paper Airplane !
Why stopped there ? Assist trophies are a good way to show off some characters too ! If PM was in (which he should) his assist trophies could conclude, Mimi who cries "Mimimimimimimimimimi" and turns into her spider form and crawls around the stage, damaging everybody in her path.
Or the awesome Hawk himself, Rawk Hawk who could lower down a girder and hang off of it dropping items ! The possibilities are ENDLESS with this series, cause the game is just that good !
Rawk Hawk AT is a must. It would be so awesome to summon him at the Punch Out ring

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
To be completely honest, I think it would be cool if they announced him with Chorus Kids or something. They both have that...similar feel, I guess? I don't know, I just really hope he makes it in. I think a cool final smash would be the Supernova. Also, O'Chunks would be a rad assist trophy cause he could go around throwing people.

Staarih

Smash Master
Speaking of the partners, I don't think they're a necessity in Paper Mario's move set. Yes, they do have potential and are a big part of the games, sure, and would probably work in nicely with Paper Mario, but I personally don't need them to appear. Paper Mario has lots of attributes of his own which can transform into a working move set. There's also the fact that there are so many partners of his that it'll be hard to show them all equally (which I'd prefer of course), but I guess Sakurai could just choose the ones which work the best with him. So yeah, I'd take Paper Mario even without the partners, but looking at some of the newcomers we've had (especially the details put into Robin, for example), I do think the partners will be incorporated somehow.

By the way, I love the idea of the Tattle Log by Goombella (or heck, even Goombario, Tippi or Kersti) used on the other fighters in Smash. A nice little unique thing for Paper Mario. I think it could work like Snake's codecs, just in a Paper Mario stage.

Also, as for Assist Trophies, I'd take some of the partners which aren't used in Paper Mario's move set (unless they all are haha). Someone like Madam Flurrie could create wind gusts on stage to blow the fighters away, for example. Rawk Hawk would be boss too haha! But I think Sakurai would focus on the Wii game (Super Paper Mario), as lots of the characters so far have been influenced by their Wii-era games. In which case, I want Mimi or Dimentio.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
By the way. FJ7X's Paper Mario medley is glorious. I definitely hope to see him making game soundtracks one day. His version of Aquatic Ambience/Coral Capers from DKC is astounding

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
A paper mario medley has to make it into the game even if he doesn't get his own stage.

A boss medley at best, please make this happen!

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
I support. The Thousand Year Door is a masterpiece and one of my favorite video games of all time. I would love to see the hidden potential of Paper Mario and his many wonderful partners unfolded.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Paper Mario Trailer Idea!!

Been thinking about this one for a while, here goes:

First, The logo slashes through the screen and burns as always. Then, the screen goes white, and the Mario Paint Title Screen shows up.
Cue a more energetic and modernized version of the Mario Paint Main Theme

There's just one thing, it's all in a 3D and CG! A fly starts buzzing and the iconic hand shows up to swat it (The hand looks strangely like Master Hand...). It proceeds to pull down the Mario Paint UI over the title screen and then taps it's fingers, as if it was pondering what to draw.
Suddenly, the hand snaps it's fingers! It had an idea! It grabs a paintbrush and the camera shows several shots of the hand making brush strokes, but the full screen is never shown.
The camera pans out to show that it was never Mario Paint at all! It was all simply the hand in an artist's room drawing on paper and the UI was his tools! The hand gives a thumbs up and the camera focuses on the drawing...
IT'S PAPER MARIO!!
Suddenly, the music stops and the room begins to rumble! The hand "runs away" as Paper Mario peels off of the paper. He stretches and jumps into the air as the Splash Screen says:

PAPER MARIO FOLDS IN!
*cue the rock remix of TTYD Main Theme
The screen tears in half to show Paper Mario's entrance animation, which is him flying in as a paper airplane.
The real Mario shows up and does his Down Taunt (The Donkey Kong death animation)
Peach and Luigi both crouch, Luigi shows fear and Peach shows curiousity
Bowser looks back and forth between Mario and Paper Mario and Side Smashes Mario right as the music gets energetic!!
Bowser does a FAir against Paper Mario and PM airdodges (which is a STYLISH! pose) and then uses his BAir on Bowser which is Parakarry's Sky Dive.
Cut to Paper Mario using his Neutral B to hold and throw Bombette, Admiral Bobbery, and Boomer.
Next scene shows Paper Mario using his Spin Dash from Paper Mario 64 as his Dash Attack against Mega Man's Top Spin and out-prioritizes it.
Paper Mario then uses his FAir, which is Lady Bow, against Luigi, ironically.
Yoshi is shown running away from Paper Mario as he uses Thoreau, his ranged grab, on him and uses his FThrow, the Baby Yoshi from TTYD using Gulp.
Paper Mario then uses Koops on Greninja in front of him and Kooper on Diddy Kong behind showing off his Side B.
PM then uses Barry, his Down B Counter, and uses his Superguard animation against Lucina's Side Smash.
Paper Mario then taunts by wagging his finger at the screen with his cap slightly tipped down.
He then uses Vivian as his FTilt to hit Pit in front of him, causing a fiery hit!
Villager goes after PM with his Net as PM spot dodges, folding towards the screen like in TTYD and SPM, and Side Smashes with Ultra Hammer.
Paper Mario then taunts with Toon Link and Samus as they all use their taunts that involve looking around, PM's being putting his hand to his forehead and "searching".
PM then uses his Final Smash to call upon all the Star Spirits, Crystal Stars, and Pure Hearts to entrap Mario and release Peach Beam (Star Spirits), Supernova (Crystal Stars) and finish the move off with the Pure Hearts "breaking" a section of the screen off!!
PM shows off his final taunt, being holding up either a Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart, while this plays:
The Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS logo shows up and, like most of the trailers, shows off one final cutscene.
The Final Scene shows Master Hand painting, the camera pans up to show Popo and Nana posing for the picture as a drawing of Paper Mario floats in front of the camera.

Wow! That took a lot outta me! Hope you guys like it! :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm still surprised by how many replies I see even tough I expected better support. Just so you know, before I became the OP, it had 6 bumps and the last one was me so I think you can understand that it's really unusual for me to see that much activity. Of course it's good and I wonder where this can go.

This is the kind of replies I love here.

I already explained a similar opinion on series in the OP in its own section but it's true that the number of rep doesn't have limits (again, OP, second counterargument). The problem he had was that it wasn't likely to get a spot since it would be so tight. But with 4 fe rep, it shows that this is a bigger roster than expected which now leaves more room. It's priority, not amount of rep.

Even if he isn't there, assist would make sense and I was so upset of ssbb repping that even an assist is better but like I said, minimum one music (I consider assist less rep than music but c'mon there's so much choices in music). Seriously, I started to use my slogan because of that. The number of assist, stage, playable character gimmicks, music and one thing mentioned before that really deserves attention, smash run enemy. It really doesn't seem to end which is why it's in my sig now.

As for icons, thanks for your idea because I'm going to talk about it later.

I played Paper Mario when I was 10 and said it was my favorite game of all time. Now, it has been 8 years I can can still say the same!

I've been asking for Paper Mario since brawl.
Sign me up!!!
added! yeah some games like those are considered classic because they are so good that they do not weakens through time. PM64 will have 14 years I think and TTYD will have 10 in November and they are still good. Really, I don't know why they weren't recognised like a masterpiece should have in brawl so I understand your concern let's hope it changes!

Speaking of the partners, I don't think they're a necessity in Paper Mario's move set. Yes, they do have potential and are a big part of the games, sure, and would probably work in nicely with Paper Mario, but I personally don't need them to appear. Paper Mario has lots of attributes of his own which can transform into a working move set. There's also the fact that there are so many partners of his that it'll be hard to show them all equally (which I'd prefer of course), but I guess Sakurai could just choose the ones which work the best with him. So yeah, I'd take Paper Mario even without the partners, but looking at some of the newcomers we've had (especially the details put into Robin, for example), I do think the partners will be incorporated somehow.

By the way, I love the idea of the Tattle Log by Goombella (or heck, even Goombario, Tippi or Kersti) used on the other fighters in Smash. A nice little unique thing for Paper Mario. I think it could work like Snake's codecs, just in a Paper Mario stage.

Also, as for Assist Trophies, I'd take some of the partners which aren't used in Paper Mario's move set (unless they all are haha). Someone like Madam Flurrie could create wind gusts on stage to blow the fighters away, for example. Rawk Hawk would be boss too haha! But I think Sakurai would focus on the Wii game (Super Paper Mario), as lots of the characters so far have been influenced by their Wii-era games. In which case, I want Mimi or Dimentio.
Ok he can be unique without his partners I think we can agree on this. The problem I have is that you would sort of need to push further other gimmicks like badges. The only reason I don't think a predetermined and unchangeable set of partners is a good idea is that it, imo makes him act like G&W who summons items in LCD artstyle. I just find this a little less unique but if you can change with customisation, then at least it's different but being switchable clears my worries so that's why I'm rooting for that. Just remember: what defines uniqueness is how the character work generally, not some moves. For me, partners are the luma of Rosalina but it doesn't mean he HAS to have them but would make more sense.

Yeah we want tattles like they would be so funny. Please... I WANT TTYD THEATER!!!

I'm ok with partners assist if it;s more suited but why do you think it would be based on spm? In fact, most of the interesting stuff for partners are in the first 2 games so I don't see why it has to be spm mainly.

By the way. FJ7X's Paper Mario medley is glorious. I definitely hope to see him making game soundtracks one day. His version of Aquatic Ambience/Coral Capers from DKC is astounding

This just shows why I would love more remix than original of PM64 (except king of the koopas but even then, it's improvable). Those remixes are awesome and most of them sounds better than their original. I just have the feel that remixes are better for PM64 but TTYD is mostly original (it's just too amazing to be retouched). So, I'm ok with those remixes!

A paper mario medley has to make it into the game even if he doesn't get his own stage.

A boss medley at best, please make this happen!
I never tough of a medley but it has enough material for one which is again, infinite.

I support. The Thousand Year Door is a masterpiece and one of my favorite video games of all time. I would love to see the hidden potential of Paper Mario and his many wonderful partners unfolded.
Added! Thanks for using your 100th posts here :)

I would love too see this potential but it's so big that it's all but hidden (in fact, it's obvious but unfortunately, most of the people who don't understand that probably didn't play any game of the series or at least not first 3). Which is one of the main purpose of this thread: make his potential obvious.

I won't quote your post @ SpaceJell0 SpaceJell0 because it's long but I added the idea in the OP. This is actually the kind of trailers that I see fitting (misleading and surprising). though, you almost made a moveset too which makes this idea better. Thanks.

So, now, I need to do some additions to the OP in the next days as I realised that, as pretty as it is, it lacks some stuff. First which is hight priority is a section about his chances. With the Monday video, it makes his chances at least enough to be considered by most people and that needs to be told. Then, I want to do a little thing just under the spoiler of series representation of series icons ideas and that, I may need ideas.

So, in your opinion, what elements that can be represented as an icons in smash represents the whole series (so, 4 games even though the fourth one is... never mind you get it). It wouldn't make sense to use the paper mushroom as it looks like the mario one but I got ideas like hammer or paper airplane. IMO, I think the hammer is the best so far because it's there in all games but if I can get something about paper present in all 4 or 3 games, that would be better. The airplane is not on PM64 and I'm sure it's not on sticker star but I doubt about spm. Any ideas?

And finally, I just discovered a trivia about some TTYD music that should blow your minds.

You know the famicom startup music as an easter egg in TTYD? I found out that this 7 seconds of beep is really similar to last view of rogueport which is one of the music based on intro story.

To get what I mean, listen to this with the speed at 2x:

then, listen to this at normal speed:

If it's not obvious, only pay attention to the notes not the background track. You're supposed to hear a pattern like this in both music:

1 note - 2 notes - bunch of notes - 1 - 2 - bunch of notes.

The last 2 notes in the famicom one isn't heard on the first music but the intro story has them at the last pattern. So, can you hear the similarities?

If you can, well, let me tell you what this means. It means that intro story was based on the famicom startup just that is good inspiration. But, other music are based on intro story like farewell rogueport and last view of rogueport. But that's not the best...

Yes, this amazing music was based on intro story so you can conclude that it was based on the famicom startup music which is 7 seconds of nes beeps. I didn't know you could have THAT much inspirations but it's very interesting to know.

So, get your icons ideas ready while I work on the chances section.

EDIT: OH I forgot, @ImaClubYou wasn't the only one that should have been in the list because I was dumb to not put some people in. So, I fixed the list by adding the names I forgot. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I support!

Though I don't think this is his game, as for some reason I feel we would have already seen him, there is NO excuse for such a huge franchise that is relevant to this day, not to have a rep in Smash 5. If he's not in the next game at least, that's not acceptable

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Was Paper Mario (Wii) any good?
As a game, yes. As a Paper Mario game... A bit disappointing since it wasn't the RPG the first two were. Story was cool though.

Still would rather have real Mario characters instead of Pixls but whatever.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Was Paper Mario (Wii) any good?
Spm? I didn't play (and should honestly) but from what I heard and saw, it looks good. Most people that loved it was mainly because of the deepness of the story. If it was different, it's because I don't even think that any improvement on TTYD would've been worth since it really is maximum of the concept. So, they had to do something different which is understandable. It's basically not the best but it's still great.

Sticker star though... is not good and that's compared to spm btw.

What they can try is modifying the concept with a twist because I think it would be the way to go (seriously who wants at least a TRUE RPG?).

That or TTYD remake.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Spm? I didn't play (and should honestly) but from what I heard and saw, it looks good. Most people that loved it was mainly because of the deepness of the story. If it was different, it's because I don't even think that any improvement on TTYD would've been worth since it really is maximum of the concept. So, they had to do something different which is understandable. It's basically not the best but it's still great.

Sticker star though... is not good and that's compared to spm btw.

What they can try is modifying the concept with a twist because I think it would be the way to go (seriously who wants at least a TRUE RPG?).

That or TTYD remake.
Thank God I didn't get Sticker Star.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
To put this in perpective: spm still has elements from RPG but is mainly a 2D platformer which does an interesting mix. In this case, it makes sense.

Sticker star really doesn't. It's presented like an RPG but it isn't at all since the stickers really screws up most of the strategy mainly because of the way to get them. It just shouldn't be made but I have reasons that the one speculated to be on WiiU (James leak) could blow our mind so just wait.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yep. That was the reason I bought my original 3DS. Once I realized what a disappointment the game was ("Oh my god it's going to be a return to Paper Mario form after SPM was just another sidescrolling platformer!"), I traded that system in (Seriously, the original 3DS's got so damn hot.)

Later got a 3DS XL before X&Y and we've been inseparable since. <3 3DS XL

Just wish my cat hadn't bitten part of the top... Bite marks add character, I tell myself.

But yeah. TYD is almost the perfect Mario game for me. Probably in my top two Gamecube titles, if not number one. It and Melee spar from time to time. Though in general I like TYD's fanbase more than Melee's...

To put this in perpective: spm still has elements from RPG but is mainly a 2D platformer which does an interesting mix. In this case, it makes sense.

Sticker star really doesn't. It's presented like an RPG but it isn't at all since the stickers really screws up most of the strategy mainly because of the way to get them. It just shouldn't be made but I have reasons that the one speculated to be on WiiU (James leak) could blow our mind so just wait.
As much as I want to believe that the James's game is a new Paper Mario (Imagine it on Wii U... Oh my leg), I honestly think it's going to be a new Fire Emblem game. Compare Awakening's success to Sticker Star's and put yourself in Nintendo's shoes when considering high priority games for a struggling console.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
As much as I want to believe that the James's game is a new Paper Mario (Imagine it on Wii U... Oh my leg), I honestly think it's going to be a new Fire Emblem game. Compare Awakening's success to Sticker Star's and put yourself in Nintendo's shoes when considering high priority games for a struggling console.
Well, view this in this perspective: why there wouldn't be one for the WiiU even outside the leak? I just feel that there will be one but the question is what and when. I explained last page a crazy theory that just seems to be true and it says that AS SOON AS the wiiu released, I saw the complete opposite of the wii period: a gradual increase of quality and though. Last E3 convinced me that it's true.

Also, James never worked for fe games only game and wario, sticker star and 3 others that are completely unrelated and I don't know when they come from.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I thought Super Paper Mario was a fantastic game, but as a Paper Mario game it was passable. I thought it mixed the RPG side and a Platformer side pretty well. The story was spectacular and the music was great. However, I still would've preferred to have gotten a true Paper Mario: TTYD sequel.

Sticker Star is a different story. It was an okay game, but as a Paper Mario game it was bad. So much wrong in one game.
  • Taking out enemies that make Paper Mario unique
  • Simple level designs
  • Small story
  • No level up mechanics
Sad because Sticker Star was one of the biggest reasons I bought a 3DS. It looked like it was headed in the right direction after I saw some early screenshots. I remember seeing a Chain Chomp partner which would've been so cool.

Staarih

Smash Master
I actually enjoyed Sticker Star... but anyway, even if it is universally thought to be more of the worse Paper Mario games, it sold surprisingly good. With over 2 million copies sold it's one of the better selling 3DS games. I guess many people bought it solely for the fact that it is a Paper Mario game, which I think indicates quite an iconic and popular status of the character. That along with all the uniqueness Paper Mario could bring... damn, Paper Mario should be a no-brainer for Smash!

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
What about this for a trailer reveal: Mario is fighting with Dedede and Wario and Mr. G&W walks in and look at them and start comparing his flatness to their bellies and feels sad because he is the only flat character. Mario stops fighting and smiles and nods to G&W (like saying: don't worry buddy) and then he's hit by DDD's hammer and is sent flying. G&W starts fighting DDD and Wario and it's losing. Mario comes running but in front of hims there's am airplane shadow, Mario looks up and smiles. Then the camera focuses on the airplane and then it unfolds to reveal Paper Mario (Paper Mario Unfolds into battle or something...) who falls with his hammer to help G&W. And Mario joins him and the two fight (with obvious different moveset) DDD and Wario. Then trailer shows some gameplay and finishes with G&W celebrating another flat character, Mario laughing while Paper Mario does one of his victory poses.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
What about this for a trailer reveal: Mario is fighting with Dedede and Wario and Mr. G&W walks in and look at them and start comparing his flatness to their bellies and feels sad because he is the only flat character. Mario stops fighting and smiles and nods to G&W (like saying: don't worry buddy) and then he's hit by DDD's hammer and is sent flying. G&W starts fighting DDD and Wario and it's losing. Mario comes running but in front of hims there's am airplane shadow, Mario looks up and smiles. Then the camera focuses on the airplane and then it unfolds to reveal Paper Mario (Paper Mario Unfolds into battle or something...) who falls with his hammer to help G&W. And Mario joins him and the two fight (with obvious different moveset) DDD and Wario. Then trailer shows some gameplay and finishes with G&W celebrating another flat character, Mario laughing while Paper Mario does one of his victory poses.
I'd be totally cool with that. Not only does it confirm my most wanted newcomer, but it also confirms my most wanted veteran at the moment.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I guess it's ok since it's just a joke and should be obvious of how different he is.

Actually, it could also do the same but for mario too. And you're confirming my main at the same time so it's the best trailer for me.
I actually enjoyed Sticker Star... but anyway, even if it is universally thought to be more of the worse Paper Mario games, it sold surprisingly good. With over 2 million copies sold it's one of the better selling 3DS games. I guess many people bought it solely for the fact that it is a Paper Mario game, which I think indicates quite an iconic and popular status of the character. That along with all the uniqueness Paper Mario could bring... damn, Paper Mario should be a no-brainer for Smash!
It shows you 2 things: first, how popular and relevant the series is after 14 years and second, how sticker star shouldn't affect his chances.

I'm posting because I learned something that imo, helps him.

Sakurai was interviewed in a famitsu issue and it was translated. It was about why adding lucina and robin but no to chrom (yeah he was considered). That's not what I noticed to be very important but it's this statement:

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
He said "I immediately saw how it would work". The thing is, this statement could mean that Sakurai's decision is influenced by how "convenient" the interpretation of it is in smash. I saw some characters which I was highly sceptical because of this. I had the feel that if I tried to make a moveset, it would feel "too searched" or "too much" since we know that a character is unique by how he works generally not his moves.

When I made my Paper Mario moveset, I already had most of the ideas ready and the rest was done with a mario wiki pages since I didn't played spm and didn't know the partners. But I noticed that making a set is very easy because of how much possibility you can combine and still preserve his uniqueness. @ Staarih Staarih told that he could be ok without partners which is a great example of it. I made a switch and action command mechanics but another could have used badges or predetermined partner set. It begins to be very interesting with customisation too!

In fact, if you have played at least one of the first 2 games, you got most of what you need to do a set alone. But with 4 games, it really is easy to make him fit without having to go too deep because he can do a lot.

I want to know do you think that this statement helps him? it wasn't talked that much but I felt it was important to betalked especially for him.

Today, I'll do a chance section and I think I figured out that the basic hammer would be the best for a series icons. It's recurrent to all games of his series and probably will still be but also because it's a weapon that he uses but not mario in platforming game. I just feel that it sets him more apart. I will try to do the icon today but maybe it will be tomorrow.

Also, can we just talk about the future of the series more than sticker star? I noticed that it's more positive to do that instead since I will be honest with you: it all points to an improvement. Even if TTYD remake I just feel it would be an improvement.

Also, you're added @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong . Thanks for still supporting today!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I thought I joined support MONTHS ago, what on earth happened?

Thought I did, at least. Add me to support, good sirs!

The OP, by the way... The content is solid, but the grammar is just awful. Any chance you could do a revision at some point, or better yet let someone private message a peer-reviewed draft?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I thought I joined support MONTHS ago, what on earth happened?

Thought I did, at least. Add me to support, good sirs!

The OP, by the way... The content is solid, but the grammar is just awful. Any chance you could do a revision at some point, or better yet let someone private message a peer-reviewed draft?
Well, it happens for me a lot of time to screw up the grammar since it's not my first language. I don't think you posted when I was the OP so that may explains why I'll add you now.

But I'm ok for it if a native English speaker to correct the grammar. I can use spell check but I don't think it will fix everything. If you're ok, I could always PM you a formatted text version to correct and you would PM me back the corrected one.

The thing is, it might be annoying when I add stuff in it to PM someone about it but I at least need one revision because most of the needed contents would stay anyway.

EDIT: added a new signature icons thanks to @ Rockaphin Rockaphin for providing it to me.

EDIT2: Well, yeah I used spell check and it is awful. I'll fix what I can and I'll tell you after.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Well, it happens for me a lot of time to screw up the grammar since it's not my first language. I don't think you posted when I was the OP so that may explains why I'll add you now.

But I'm ok for it if a native English speaker to correct the grammar. I can use spell check but I don't think it will fix everything. If you're ok, I could always PM you a formatted text version to correct and you would PM me back the corrected one.

The thing is, it might be annoying when I add stuff in it to PM someone about it but I at least need one revision because most of the needed contents would stay anyway.
I'd be willing to help out with that at some point. If you PM the OP to me, I could do some revisions for you.

If you add an entirely new section, it wouldn't hurt to get someone to revise it anyhow. But if it's just small touches, then I'm sure you'd be fine just adding it on your own. I'm not a grammar nazi after all. If most of the OP looks decent, there shouldn't be a problem!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I'll say what I have to say before replying since it's VERY important.

Yesterday night, someone was just checking anniversary dates for August and I had the idea to check anniversary for Paper Mario and TTYD. I got overhype when I learned those because they were VERY soon one of them is even so close that I had to wait tomorrow to calm myself down. You have to understand that it's the first time that it doesn't look like straws because there's evidences of Sakurai doing special reveals on dates like this especially for round numbers and Japan dates. Here's the date:

Paper Mario released date JP: August 11 2000
http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario

Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door release date JP: July 22 2004
http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario:_The_Thousand-Year_Door

Let me explains what those informations means:

Paper Mario: it's a 14th year but it is the birth of the series. It happens on a Monday so not only we will get a POTD here but it's also the same week of a speculated direct to happen or next week. Has newcomer and POTD potential if the direct happens near this date in the same week. Direct DO NOT happen on Monday but reveals that has some days of difference did happen before.

But what I got overhype is the TTYD one, it sounds scary.

TTYD is exactly a 10th years, just that is adding a lot of potentials. It happens NEXT Tuesday so it's VERY soon. Even though it is the second game of the series, it is the most appreciated one (not personal assumption it's general opinions). It happens on POTD day only so DO NOT EXPECT NEWCOMER but here's where it gets interesting: TTYD theater is from TTYD so to reveal it as a stage would be the best date here. That or anything related to TTYD that can be revealed in POTD.

So, I think you got why I had to calm down. I know I joke a lot with straws but those aren't, they are TRUE evidences but I want to warn you: Please, DO NOT OVERHYPE. Don't expect anything because if we get nothing on those dates, it doesn't changes anything and do not set for disappointment or calm down.

No matter what we get, I'll prepare a special post for this occasion since you probably know how TTYD affected me as a player and on smashboard. It needs to be celebrated properly by me.

OP update: I added a new section talking about chances but because I'm working on proof reading the whole OP, the title will be a placeholder. I even have to redo an image because of a bad mistake but once it's done, it's going to be a lot better for a while since a good amount of texts will stay there. This also means that I won't add new things that much until it's done. I just really care about the presentation and robert cousin was right, that grammar was awful. Thanks for your understanding.

EDIT: image has been fixed and the overview, reason for deserving a place and the first 2 counterarguments got fixed.

Now, replies:
I support!

Though I don't think this is his game, as for some reason I feel we would have already seen him, there is NO excuse for such a huge franchise that is relevant to this day, not to have a rep in Smash 5. If he's not in the next game at least, that's not acceptable
First, added!

Second, ...I'm that kind of guy that just don't assume any sequel unless there's evidences surrounding it. ssb4 isn't even released so I shouldn't talk about ssb5 since it literally doesn't exist.

But here's one thing though, if no newcomer, would you expect to have better repping than just trophies? Just wondering...

Uh.. why I'm not in the supporters list? Please add me there @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

Edit: GUH!
I know why but you're there now.

You did posted, but before I became the OP and I didn't count those. I had to revive the thread after a full month and it was the difference between before and after direct so I expect that support and speculations changes (just second sal leak did changed a lot). That's why you weren't added like others btw because I have no idea who still supported. Thanks for coming anyway.

So...hype music?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Another Tattle Log by me:

Vs Little Mac

Goombella:
That's Little Mac, he seems to be a very balanced fighter with more power to spare! I feel sorry for anyone that comes in contact with his fists. I mean, did'ja see those muscles?! He's such an amazing ground fighter but as soon as he's in the air, it's anyone's game. That's when you attack!

He may train to be a great boxer but you're no slouch in the ring either, Mr. Gonzales! Don't forgot, we've taken down things that he wishes he could! . . . But, would you get me an autograph? Pretty please!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Another Tattle Log by me:

Vs Little Mac

Goombella:
That's Little Mac, he seems to be a very balanced fighter with more power to spare! I feel sorry for anyone that comes in contact with his fists. I mean, did'ja see those muscles?! He's such an amazing ground fighter but as soon as he's in the air, it's anyone's game. That's when you attack!

He may train to be a great boxer but you're no slouch in the ring either, Mr. Gonzales! Don't forgot, we've taken down things that he wishes he could! . . . But, would you get me an autograph? Pretty please!
Just a little thing: only yoshi kid calls him like this. Every text in the game is consistent so only him call him like that.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Just a little thing: only yoshi kid calls him like this. Every text in the game is consistent so only him call him like that.
Right, I only used that name to reference the title given to him by Grubba. However, if the Yoshi Kid were to talk instead because Little Mac is a boxer, that would be pretty neat.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I made the hammer icon and I think that not only you'll love it but I really wonder what could represent better the series. The normal hammer. I don't know about you but this hammer is always there and it's the most common since it's the first you get. Here it is:

I worked for a good amount of time since I'm perfectionist but I was impressed by how cool it looks. I coud see it very well to become the icon in the game but they would probably make it from scratch. I used the original TTYD texture as base.

Would you love that icon for him? Also, I want to put it in the OP but I don't know where so if someone would give your opinion, that would be
:awesome:

Also, this thread is falling because I don't post a lot but I want to continue to improve it with the drawback of less activities since it's just going to be better in the long run anyway.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think for fans of the series the hammer would be good. But realistically I would imagine the logo being a mushroom like Mario's but peeling at the edge like a sticker.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, depending on this list, how would Paper Mario play? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Paper Mario would be AMAZING. The only actual evidence I have is this: Sakurai has, to my knowledge, not shown off ANYTHING that has to do with Paper Mario. Not only that, but he'd be pretty obscure and that's exactly the kind of character that Sakurai would put. Also, like you said in one of your other posts, it's easy to make an ideal moveset for him right from the get go, so that also helps.

If I'm not on the support list already, then please add me :D

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think for fans of the series the hammer would be good. But realistically I would imagine the logo being a mushroom like Mario's but peeling at the edge like a sticker.
I would honestly be OK but it's just that I feel that it might just be confusing. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably be able to make the difference (I should actually try to do it and make a comparison to have a clear answer but I'll do it after). But, what about those who don't even know about the series? I'll do a comparison but I just feel you would have to go beyond a mushroom (also, I think it would either be Paper related which I don't know how to do it and represent all 4 games, or like I did, a recurring object only used by him and it is the normal woodem hammer and you can tell that it's Paper Mario one because of the head).

Tough, You only have one color accessible with transparency. How can you do a "peel" effect? Also, it's more sticker star than the whole series but anyway, I'll check what it looks like with just the mushroom.

One person tough of a storybook and I tough that it would be a good idea but I don't know how I can do it with just TTYD assets.

Hey guys, depending on this list, how would Paper Mario play? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Euh... it's kinda weird to explain because I know what you're asking but I don't "categorize" characters. I usually find his playstyle in one sentence and base his moves on it. I did this already in "series representation" in the OP and I used the same playastyle in my moveset but I'll explain it here:

I see him being light since he's a paper of course (he's actually a little smaller than Mario). So, I expect him to have more mobility than his counterparts but how I saw him is a character than can act in different situation and being adaptive. Now, I don't check competitive but I mean that overall, his movesets would revolve on versatility. I see him like this because it's exactly like in his game where you would do different actions, attacks and decisions based on each situation.

For example, in TTYD, if I face 4 ground enemies with decent HP, I wouldn't use a jump attack since I would have to do this for 4 turns (excluding partners turns) and leaving an opening. I would use quake hammer which costs attack points but attacks everyone and does decent damages.

All abilities works like this even partners. Yoshi is useless if your enemy has defence, but Bobbery attacks can damage that with explosions. In fact, the whole battles are based around strategy since you would need to dynamically change it every time. It needs a lot of management and carefulness with the benefit of being able to counter a lot of situation.

That's what i want to reflect in smash. @ Staarih Staarih , that's why I see him with partners because I feel they offer more versatility than any other unique abilities. But I said that it needs management which is where it gets interesting because that's how I see his balance.

For example, I used power smash as its side smash which is basically a hammer smack but more powerful. There's quite good lag in my set not only to tell you to use it carefully but also to represent how you can't use it indefinitely since you would need attacks points for this.

I implemented a switch mechanics for partners but it's hight risk, hight rewards because you need to select while being frozen so you would have to go away and have enough time. If you're attacked, you get lag but if you success, you get the chance to have a different side b which could counter what you couldn't before.

Now, it may not be the way to implement such a mechanic, but you get the idea that Sakurai is way more creative than me :) .

To answer to your question, "Paper Mario would be based on versatility and mobility to counter multiple situations on the cost of maintenance needs". I don't think I found this in smash yet but I may be wrong btw.

What do you think?

Paper Mario would be AMAZING. The only actual evidence I have is this: Sakurai has, to my knowledge, not shown off ANYTHING that has to do with Paper Mario. Not only that, but he'd be pretty obscure and that's exactly the kind of character that Sakurai would put. Also, like you said in one of your other posts, it's easy to make an ideal moveset for him right from the get go, so that also helps.

If I'm not on the support list already, then please add me :D
You posted recently so you're here.

I honestly wouldn't bank on his denial of acknowledgement (well, he showed Paper Peach trophy but that's not a tease since it's literally nothing new). In fact, I never heard of bowser jr and vaati so far and yet, I don't think their chances are higher because of that. Ridley btw, is a very complicated case, but here, it does helps him (it did already). I'm just going to link THIS since I can't explain it here it's longer than my OP anyway. All this to say that if it was a tease, he would allude to him or implicitly talk about things related to him, but being intentionally ambiguous to then make us wait for reveal. We literally have no info on him, but it doesn't lower his chances either.

In fact, remember that this series isn't as common as the main one and his popularity is decent but not on the best. So, I can see why NOT teasing him, but I can see why surprising. Kind of like Wii Fit Trainer in that regards which is why I see misleading trailer being the ideal choice. It's not talked a lot and it's not that much expected, but it's enough to make Sakurai aware of the idea (in fact, I expect this person to be aware of most of recognised contenders).

Thinking about it tough, I think I would love a tease on Tuesday don't you think?

My evidence I added recently on the OP is for some reasons ignored. It released yesterday I think, but people's attention was on his Chrom opinion which imo is less relevant than this evidence. It's a very important statement since it would make Paper Mario and other characters more chance to at least be considered.

When I became the OP here, I decided that it would make sense to put EVERY moveset posted because it does 2 things: show how you can interpret him is so much different ways based on perspective but also that it follows a pattern: each moveset put the focus on versatility. EVERY single one of them has this as the focus just like I said above. When I started to use that slogan, it was becoming more obvious what I was advocating.

In fact, every one who claimed he was a clone mentioned something pertaining to toon link or dr mario to back his arguments, but this has nothing to do with this because not only he has a consistent and unique play style but also big ideas potentials. I guess the opinion I hear about not playing any game of his series may be accurate, but you get why I use this moveset policy. I still use it so if anyone does a moveset (at least partial and not rushed), it will be added to the OP with you credited right away since I saw no set that reflects him without versatility.

That's why I claim it's unnatural for him to be a clone. He logically CAN be one (I had a debate with @GoldenYuiitusin that I performed badly that proved me that), but it's illogical to do it for the benefit of another clone. They don't have time to do a Ganondorf case so any clone would need a purpose at least to even be one.

That was long, but I had to because you brought
points (I'm addicted to those btw).

Honestly, as a Mario fan in general while being neutral on most RPGs, it was my favorite Paper Mario.
Maybe you enjoy more platforming? I personally don't for 2D (I just SUCK), but I think I need to play it one day. Some people liked more spm. It's a minority, but it's worth mentioning since unlike sticker star, the way gameplay was implemented makes sense. Also, story seems to be a strong point to so I can understand that. Though, not really hate because I can explain why they changed it and I haven't played the game. It's seems to be a
but not the best in details and though. I don't consider it a fail if I look at sticker star. At least it's not bad that's what important.

Tough, please do an RPG on WiiU...

Well, I haven't talked that much on the character himself since a good time. I love this thread because it seems to be the only place I can and I'm happy that you bring up good points and topics.

@ Kevandre Kevandre , i will get to you about that mushroom as soon as i can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom