• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Impa was revealed as the first playable character along with Link. I really think this counts for something. Also, her moveset seems to have a lot of detail going for it, and doesn't really seem to draw on anything from the Zelda series specifically unlike the other characters.
Yeah, but it doesn't mean much. We don't know if Sakurai was even aware of Hyrule Warriors, or if he'd take inspiration from it. And even then, I'd rather her get a more canonical moveset than one from Hyrule Warriors.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think that Midna in Smash as an AT is almost indentically looking like Midna in Hyrule Warriors. And the way Midna attacks as an AT also isn't quite an exact attack she did in Twilight Princess. Might not mean much, but I doubt Sakurai WOULDN'T be at least informed about Hyrule Warriors if he asked the Zelda team for a new Zelda character to be included. Why wouldn't he add a character from a Zelda game that's all about fighting??!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think that Midna in Smash as an AT is almost indentically looking like Midna in Hyrule Warriors. And the way Midna attacks as an AT also isn't quite an exact attack she did in Twilight Princess. Might not mean much, but I doubt Sakurai WOULDN'T be at least informed about Hyrule Warriors if he asked the Zelda team for a new Zelda character to be included. Why wouldn't he add a character from a Zelda game that's all about fighting??!
I do agree with that, Midna's attacks in this game are similar to Hyrule Warriors... but keep in mind, Midna as an AT could've been added later in development. Not as easy to do for someone like Impa who would've needed that added earlier in development. That said, a laido fighting style would be EXTREMELY unique and I'd love it if Impa had that type of fighting style... heck, if Impa gets a laido fighting style, she can take the fighting style I thought Lyn was going to get.

I'd just rather Impa's sword to be a proper, thinner katana.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well yes since the idea of Lyn is now dead with her confirmation as AT yet again, Impa could inherrit such fighting style easily. Yet they wouldn't be exactly the same. Impa's sword is mich longer and bigger, so she'll likely have more end lag than Lyn would. Which is actually good for balance. Impa could be slow on the ground, but fast in the air for example. Still booting a lot of moment speed, quick rolls and good jumping, she'd still 'feel' like a speedy character, but isn't quite anything like it in the end. She would be extremely defensive, and have a good projectile to keep enemies away, but could do aerial approaches as well to build up damage. It's a sort of style I'd really be eager to play as!

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Has the whole Lucina thing not changed anyone's opinions on Impa..? In spite of loving the character I didn't want Impa to begin with really, I always liked her but preferred Tetra. But now...

1. It ties in with the Trophy theory, whatever you reckon that counts for.
2. Easily bump-uppable from costume to fighter, like Lucina - yet more visual distinction from Sheik than between Lucina and Marth
3. Another badass lady fighter on the roster.
4. Has appeared in the most amount of Zelda games after Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.
5. Was the /first/ character announced for Hyrule Warriors, and heavily promoted.
6. As of point 5, she has now had a major role in FOUR of the pat five Zelda game: Skyward Sword, Ocarina 3DS, Link Between Worlds, and Hyrule Warrios - all bar Wind Waker. Huge presence in the current handheld and previous home console generations - the ones that typically influence Smash most heavily.
7. Now that Nintendo are paying more significant attention to competitive scene, they'll be aware of Sheik's popularity and perhaps consider that will warrant a clone - much the same as Lucina with Marth.
8. Representing Skyward Sword without having to use a probable one-shot character. Also, including someone from SS would leave all the major recent Zelda releases represented.
9. Finally, like TL with Link and Lucy with Marth, their similarity in playstyle would be justified. Impa is the one in Ocarina of Time who trains Sheik - Sheik literally learned everything she knows from her.

If anything, she's become one of my most expected.

(I posted this in one of the Sheik threads, thought I should post it here too)

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Who thinks that with today's character reveals Impa became A LOT more likely?

*raises hand*
I came here to discuss this.
I'm fully on-board with clones if a cool new character gets in, such as a Lucina, Roy, Falco, Ganondorf -- as opposed to, say, Pichu.
If Impa is in as a clone of Sheik, how would you want her moveset to be? A faster, lighter version of Sheik? I don't see them giving her the same specials though.. needles, at least, don't seem to match her character.

Alternatively, what if she was her Hyrule Warriors iteration as a slower, stronger Link? Would you guys be ok with two clones of Link in one game?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm fully on-board with clones if a cool new character gets in, such as a Lucina, Roy, Falco, Ganondorf -- as opposed to, say, Pichu.
If Impa is in as a clone of Sheik, how would you want her moveset to be? A faster, lighter version of Sheik? I don't see them giving her the same specials though.. needles, at least, don't seem to match her character.

Alternatively, what if she was her Hyrule Warriors iteration as a slower, stronger Link? Would you guys be ok with two clones of Link in one game?
No. If Impa is a clone of anyone, it should be Sheik or the "new" Ganondorf. If she's a clone of Sheik, I imagine Impa probably getting Sheik's chain back, but updated so its actually useful. She could also be based on Sheik, but dual wield a pair of daggers instead of fight with her hands. For Ganondorf, if he's based on a large sword moveset, she could be based on a similar concept using her Hyrule Warriors style, and naturally Ganondorf should be able to use Dark Magic, too. Impa would work well using shadow-based magic.

Well yes since the idea of Lyn is now dead with her confirmation as AT yet again, Impa could inherrit such fighting style easily. Yet they wouldn't be exactly the same. Impa's sword is mich longer and bigger, so she'll likely have more end lag than Lyn would. Which is actually good for balance. Impa could be slow on the ground, but fast in the air for example. Still booting a lot of moment speed, quick rolls and good jumping, she'd still 'feel' like a speedy character, but isn't quite anything like it in the end. She would be extremely defensive, and have a good projectile to keep enemies away, but could do aerial approaches as well to build up damage. It's a sort of style I'd really be eager to play as!
I still don't think Impa would, or should, be based EXACTLY on her Hyrule Warriors style. I think she should use a smaller katana than in Hyrule Warriors if she were to be based on the laido style. Naturally I'd like her to be based on shadow magic, as well (not like in Hyrule Warriors where she summons water swords, please no, Impa has always been associated with the shadows).

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

I actually seeing Impa as being the stronger, slower Sheik if she was a clone of her.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah, but it doesn't mean much. We don't know if Sakurai was even aware of Hyrule Warriors, or if he'd take inspiration from it. And even then, I'd rather her get a more canonical moveset than one from Hyrule Warriors.
Sakurai would've been aware. When looking for characters to add he'd probably be told of upcoming projects like how he saved a spot for a gen 6 pokemon

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Just spitballin', but has anyone talked about using the elderly version of Impa? Could be a fun talking point, if not an entirely likely one. Take all her shadow magic abilities and map them to her elderly model - I for one would ADORE a badass old lady on the roster, I would main the **** outta that. Especially if she was a shadow magic ninja.
And for argument's sake, it IS the version with the most appearances, correct?

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I could totally see Impa and Dark Pit making it as Lucina-esque clones.
I see impa, and hope for Impa, but Sakurai said there needs to be differences... Dark Pit can't do anything that Pit can't in Uprising, so he'll probably be a costume with a voice like Male Fit Trainer.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just spitballin', but has anyone talked about using the elderly version of Impa? Could be a fun talking point, if not an entirely likely one. Take all her shadow magic abilities and map them to her elderly model - I for one would ADORE a badass old lady on the roster, I would main the **** outta that. Especially if she was a shadow magic ninja.
And for argument's sake, it IS the version with the most appearances, correct?
Lol, no, that version of Impa is pretty much impossible, there's a reason younger Impa is appearing more and more. People actually LIKE that version of Impa. :D

Sakurai would've been aware. When looking for characters to add he'd probably be told of upcoming projects like how he saved a spot for a gen 6 pokemon
The problem is, we don't know how far in advance Hyrule Warriors was planned. If it was two and a half years, he likely knew. If it was merely two years, it might've started development after he finalized the roster.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Lol, no, that version of Impa is pretty much impossible, there's a reason younger Impa is appearing more and more. People actually LIKE that version of Impa. :D

The problem is, why don't know how far in advance Hyrule Warriors was planned. If it was two and a half years, he likely knew. If it was merely two years, it might've started development after he finalized the roster.
Well like with greninja he might have been saving a spot for a zelda character

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Zelda has had a newcomer in all previous games (like pokemon), and so Sakurai could very well had reserved a slot for a Zelda character. Six characters doesn't seem unreasonable compared to Marios five and I assume six for Pokemon.
I assume a Zelda newcomer would not be announced, and so will wait eagerly until the game releases. :)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Zelda has had a newcomer in all previous games (like pokemon), and so Sakurai could very well had reserved a slot for a Zelda character. Six characters doesn't seem unreasonable compared to Marios five and I assume six for Pokemon.
I assume a Zelda newcomer would not be announced, and so will wait eagerly until the game releases. :)
I'm hoping Mario, Zelda and Pokemon all get 6. Pokemon had 6 in brawl and they all have good potential reps (Bowser jr/Paper mario, Mewtwo/Sceptile, Impa/Tetra)

Last edited:

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
If Impa and Ridley are in the roster would be perfect. Sakurai can add all the Shreks and Gokus he likes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Impa and Ridley are in the roster would be perfect. Sakurai can add all the Shreks and Gokus he likes.
I'd rather Ganondorf get a revamp and K. Rool get added before Impa getting in. But if Sakurai can do both, more power to him.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
I would also like a better 'dorf and Ridley/Isaac are more wanted for me, but I am still gonna support Impa.
:160:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would also like a better 'dorf and Ridley/Isaac are more wanted for me, but I am still gonna support Impa.
:160:
I mainly support Impa as the next Zelda newcomer. I don't think Impa is likely, and there are other characters I want more. But I think she should be the next pick for a Zelda newcomer in general, and I think she's more likely than Ghirahim. I think people VASTLY overrate Ghirahim's chances.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
I mainly support Impa as the next Zelda newcomer. I don't think Impa is likely, and there are other characters I want more. But I think she should be the next pick for a Zelda newcomer in general, and I think she's more likely than Ghirahim. I think people VASTLY overrate Ghirahim's chances.
I agree completely with you, I think the Ghirahims chances are being wildly exaggerated. I want Impa, but the Zelda series isn't exactly short on content, so if all the newcomers are from different franchises, I would be ok with it.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I agree completely with you, I think the Ghirahims chances are being wildly exaggerated. I want Impa, but the Zelda series isn't exactly short on content, so if all the newcomers are from different franchises, I would be ok with it.
What has impa really done in the games apart from hyrule warriors? Personally I think the more the merrier from smash so I'm not against her, but I don't recall anyone talking about her until hyrule warriors. Could she be unique as a fighter, since she is like sheik, or do you guys see more of a clone-type?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So... i'll support Impa (for DLC) if she has her Warriors moveset. Or if she's an alt for Sheik.

Because, honestly, her Hyrule Warriors moves would be amazing in Smash.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What has impa really done in the games apart from hyrule warriors? Personally I think the more the merrier from smash so I'm not against her, but I don't recall anyone talking about her until hyrule warriors. Could she be unique as a fighter, since she is like sheik, or do you guys see more of a clone-type?
Impa tends to have the "appearance" of a ninja in Skyward Sword, and as the Shadow Sage in OOT, its hinted she's based on a ninja, but that's it. She didn't actually do anything in OOT. But keep in mind... MOST characters in the Zelda series haven't "done" anything, and they're still appearing in Hyrule Warriors.

The thing with Impa, though, is she has known powers and capabilities in existing games, most notably Skyward Sword, plus its hinted that the Seven Sages from OOT could have some powers related to those elements. The other factor with Impa is she's the next-most important recurring character after Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

So... i'll support Impa (for DLC) if she has her Warriors moveset. Or if she's an alt for Sheik.

Because, honestly, her Hyrule Warriors moves would be amazing in Smash.
The only thing I don't like about Impa is how big her sword is. Make it a thinner katana and I'd LOVE that moveset.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Impa tends to have the "appearance" of a ninja in Skyward Sword, and as the Shadow Sage in OOT, its hinted she's based on a ninja, but that's it. She didn't actually do anything in OOT. But keep in mind... MOST characters in the Zelda series haven't "done" anything, and they're still appearing in Hyrule Warriors.

The thing with Impa, though, is she has known powers and capabilities in existing games, most notably Skyward Sword, plus its hinted that the Seven Sages from OOT could have some powers related to those elements. The other factor with Impa is she's the next-most important recurring character after Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

The only thing I don't like about Impa is how big her sword is. Make it a thinner katana and I'd LOVE that moveset.
I agree, a samurai style character would be perfect! But even if it's huge, I'd be ok with it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Impa gets in Smash as a semi-clone, I honestly think she will have small differences from Sheik, an average strengthened Sheik, whom is slower, but can do bigger impact and power.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Actually she did more than most people think, she was kind of a guardian for zelda and saved her from capture by ganondorf. Also taught her to become a sheikah allowing her to disguise as sheik, which is kinda important

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually she did more than most people think, she was kind of a guardian for zelda and saved her from capture by ganondorf. Also taught her to become a sheikah allowing her to disguise as sheik, which is kinda important
On-screen. We don't see Impa do anything in OOT on-screen. The only stuff we know about Impa is stuff that's implied. That's why its really hard to judge her character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Impa for Sheik alt costume.
Scanning thread for information on this versus clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't want her to appear as alternative costume, but it's better than nothing. With Sakurai's comments regarding Lucina, am quite confident Impa would make it in as a separate character. As Impa did more things to differenciate herself from Sheik than Lucina from Marth. Still, she could function as a full clone of her, sure. I could even see her being a clone of Greninja if it had to be done. Or of course the new Ganondorf.

I do think however that Sheik's new moveset fits Impa far better. The Burst Grenades and Bouncing Fish are techniques I could see Impa use easily.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Skyward Sword Impa is best Impa!

She should be the only representative to be considered if Sakurai is going to add an additional Zelda representative! (and maybe Tingle too but he's already AT)
She is the only reincarnating character in the series that is not yet represented in Smash, and with her constant roles every time in several Zelda games, she is a staple in the series.
With the announcement of Lucina, I hope Impa would be a Sheik alternate skin at the very least, or her own slot.

Count me in for support!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Skyward Sword Impa is best Impa!

She should be the only representative to be considered if Sakurai is going to add an additional Zelda representative! (and maybe Tingle too but he's already AT)
She is the only reincarnating character in the series that is not yet represented in Smash, and with her constant roles every time in several Zelda games, she is a staple in the series.
With the announcement of Lucina, I hope Impa would be a Sheik alternate skin at the very least, or her own slot.

Count me in for support!
Agreed. Impa is the next-most important character in the franchise, and adding Impa would fill in the "core" Zelda cast. The only character currently in the roster not part of the "core" cast right now is Sheik, really. Although frankly, if they were going to make Impa a skin of Sheik anyway, Impa should've been the default with Sheik as the alt.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Problem with the Sheik alternate skin is that Impa is not Sheik. Male and Female Wii Fit Trainer, Villager or Robin for example are still in essence the same character. Lucina is different, because Lucina has posed herself as Marth before so that "sort of" would justify her being an alternative skin -especially if she was to be masked. But Impa is not Sheik, like at all. The only way I'd justify it is if Impa is actually named Impa instead of Sheik despite being an alternative skin. But I just don't see such a thing happen.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Problem with the Sheik alternate skin is that Impa is not Sheik. Male and Female Wii Fit Trainer, Villager or Robin for example are still in essence the same character. Lucina is different, because Lucina has posed herself as Marth before so that "sort of" would justify her being an alternative skin -especially if she was to be masked. But Impa is not Sheik, like at all. The only way I'd justify it is if Impa is actually named Impa instead of Sheik despite being an alternative skin. But I just don't see such a thing happen.
Sakurai flat out confirmed, though, that alternate characters CAN be made into skins. He said it doesn't even matter if they have the same name. If they have the same moveset, stats, and build, even if they don't have the same appearance, name, or voice, they're a skin. Only if the moveset, stats, or build changes do they get their own slot. He flat-out confirmed alternate characters as skins are a viable option, he just found something Lucina could do differently.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I think it could possibly happen. A similar instance would be Daisy, for example. Giving Peach a 'Daisy' color wouldn't be enough. New name, new voice, but a clone and under the same slot.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd personally rather it not happen for Impa, although I do think Impa would mostlikely at least be a semiclone, with Ganondorf just getting a new moveset to replace his old one. That said, I wouldn't mind Impa getting a laido fighting style, either.

Top Bottom