• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually kind of dislike the idea of characters using skills and items from other characters from their series... It's often suggested for a character as Tetra to for example. I'd rather have Impa in the game on base of her own skills, not Link's... But I got to say, that I really like the recent activity here. Kind reminder for all to keep voting Impa to, she needs it hard.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
But that doesn't give Impa an advantage. The other players would see the item too.
I was thinking it would work more like Cody's knife in street fighter. Other fighters can't pick the item up, picking it up gives you a few simple moves, and being knocked around makes you drop the item.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd also like it if Impa was based on the 'monk' archetype in fighting games. Y'know, people who use their palms mostly for attacking. Best example I can think of now is Tekken's Wang.

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
I have warmed up to the idea of young link in smash 4 I mean he was loads of fun in melee but impa trumps young link any day for me just because the zelda series desperately needs varsity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It definitely does, and before any other version of Link and Zelda, I'd rather see Ganon anyway. But Impa would simply be the best choice for a fresh newcomer. Even though I also wouldn't be upset with Tetra, as I really liked Wind Waker as well. It'd still be a letdown though if they'd chose to add more variations of Link, Zelda and Ganon before Impa however. All other good choices are already ATs anyway.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
It definitely does, and before any other version of Link and Zelda, I'd rather see Ganon anyway. But Impa would simply be the best choice for a fresh newcomer. Even though I also wouldn't be upset with Tetra, as I really liked Wind Waker as well. It'd still be a letdown though if they'd chose to add more variations of Link, Zelda and Ganon before Impa however. All other good choices are already ATs anyway.
Well there's Vaati who is a cool wind mage and a reoccuring villain probably second most important in the series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well there's Vaati who is a cool wind mage and a reoccuring villain probably second most important in the series.
He was not even a DLC in Hyrule Warriors, and I doubt we are going to see a new Four Swords Adventures... I doubt Vaati is anywhere likely at all.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
He was not even a DLC in Hyrule Warriors, and I doubt we are going to see a new Four Swords Adventures... I doubt Vaati is anywhere likely at all.
I mean what are the other Zelda choices. Tingle (AT) sadly, Midna (AT) sadly, Skull Kid (AT), Impa, Vaati, Tetra (honestly boring compared to Vaati and Impa), Ghirihim (AT and I hate him because people thought he could replace the King of all Evil). Yep that's about it. Impa, Vaati, and Toon Zelda/Tetra. Impa of course has the highest chance but Vaati would be a cool character (he would also be another Toon character).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't doubt he'd be a cool character, but I think Impa just has far more to work with, and has an actual future in the main series. I could be wrong of course, but am still expecting Impa to be the main character to be chosen as a DLC character for the Zelda series.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean what are the other Zelda choices. Tingle (AT) sadly, Midna (AT) sadly, Skull Kid (AT), Impa, Vaati, Tetra (honestly boring compared to Vaati and Impa), Ghirihim (AT and I hate him because people thought he could replace the King of all Evil). Yep that's about it. Impa, Vaati, and Toon Zelda/Tetra. Impa of course has the highest chance but Vaati would be a cool character (he would also be another Toon character).
But you forgot the Groose :p

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I don't doubt he'd be a cool character, but I think Impa just has far more to work with, and has an actual future in the main series. I could be wrong of course, but am still expecting Impa to be the main character to be chosen as a DLC character for the Zelda series.
I don't doubt that if they do pick a DLC Zelda character it'll be Impa (although Tingle would be great Mister MassiveHero SoccerGuy). I think Vaati would be cooler though with his wind mage powers. I'm trying to think of Impa's specials and I have a down special which would be that shield in SS and that's it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't doubt that if they do pick a DLC Zelda character it'll be Impa (although Tingle would be great Mister MassiveHero SoccerGuy). I think Vaati would be cooler though with his wind mage powers. I'm trying to think of Impa's specials and I have a down special which would be that shield in SS and that's it.
Well, there's also the Deku Nuts, and of course her abilities in Hyrule Warriors. Outside of that, I took creative liberty in giving her Timeshift Stones from Skyward Sword to. But when strictly keeping it to canon abilities alone, she still can use magic to throw a magical grenade like orb. This already gives her three moves that she could use from canon. I doubt it'd be extremely hard to figure out a moveset for her next as she's pretty easy to work with. All it takes is some creative liberty. Or just stuff from Hyrule Warriors, but people are pretty keen on not wanting that to happen.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Take creative liberties based on her various roles in the Zelda series.
There's a whole essay on the previous page.

Too far away, didn't look:

Impa has been the Sage of Shadow, allowing her to take cues from the Shadow Temple.
Impa is Zelda's nurse allowing her to use Royal Relics.
Impa has been a time traveller, allowing her to use time-based attacks.

Knowing this, you can probably make Specials for each of the roles.

As for the Lens of Truth, it could either cause a light that shines in a cone and burns opponents as a tilt.
Or it could be part of a move that places down invisible traps, where it reveals the trap for Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am still not too keen on giving her too many random attacks from random stuff, it makes Impa look like a far less serious fighter. Kinda like Mr. Game & Watch or Villager, and I wouldn't really like that. And I'm still holding the opinion that Impa being based on Hyrule Warriors wouldn't be a bad thing, but I still prefer Skyward Sword Impa myself, provided they are going to make her unique. But at this point... I wouldn't even be upset with Impa being an alt for Sheik, or being a heavier, slower but stronger Sheik clone. She's actually one of the few characters that could work as an alt very well... Even though I myself don't really like the idea. I still take it over no Impa.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'd also like it if Impa was based on the 'monk' archetype in fighting games. Y'know, people who use their palms mostly for attacking. Best example I can think of now is Tekken's Wang.
That'd be quite cool and nice nice contrast to Sheik who's a ninja, A martial arts style would fit Impa quite well

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That'd be quite cool and nice nice contrast to Sheik who's a ninja, A martial arts style would fit Impa quite well
Notice how monks are also much more defensive in their stances in the most cases. It'd fit Impa extremely well, especially considering the pose she does when she was casting the barrier against Ghirahim. That was my main inspiration for the idea.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Your argument against Vaati doesn't really work when no characters from the 2D Zelda games were consider, and do remember Groose, Saria and Naboru are strangely absent from from Hyrule Warriors, especially seeing as their only story important characters who missing from Hyrule Warriors.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Your argument against Vaati doesn't really work when no characters from the 2D Zelda games were consider, and do remember Groose, Saria and Naboru are strangely absent from from Hyrule Warriors, especially seeing as their only story important characters who missing from Hyrule Warriors.
I think they simply chose to pick characters as Darunia and Ruto because Gorons and Zoras have been playable in the series before. And Darunia with the hammer represents a weapon-style that's very common in the Zelda series. Groose has little to work with outside of the Groosenator, and how exactly would such a thing work? Saria is basically redundant with Lana to. And it's not like Vaati's absence from Hyrule Warriors was my only arguement against Vaati. My main arguement is that I think Four Swords is dead in the Zelda series, and Vaati is likely to never return, just like so many other villains.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I think they simply chose to pick characters as Darunia and Ruto because Gorons and Zoras have been playable in the series before. And Darunia with the hammer represents a weapon-style that's very common in the Zelda series. Groose has little to work with outside of the Groosenator, and how exactly would such a thing work? Saria is basically redundant with Lana to. And it's not like Vaati's absence from Hyrule Warriors was my only arguement against Vaati. My main arguement is that I think Four Swords is dead in the Zelda series, and Vaati is likely to never return, just like so many other villains.
Vaati's still the second most important and reoccuring villain in the Zelda series. But lets stop talking about Vaati, this is an Impa thread. Found this cool Impa picture on google real quick to get back to Impa.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah I've seen the banner before. And even though Vaati might be the most important and reoccuring villian, he still has competition with the likes of Skull Kid for that title. Skull Kid is also a major villain, and has been in more "important" games than Vaati has. And Vaati only basically has one role to base himself off, his appearance in Minish Cap as a humanoid wizard. He's easily one of the most overrated characters in my opinion. And if they'd go for a new Zelda villain, I think Ganon would fit the bill wayyyyy better.

Anyway, people here actually fans of Skyward Sword? The game has had a lot of negative reception around here, but I really enjoyed it. The temples especially where amazing, as where the controlls and the combat. Sure, there was little to no actual exploration, but I think the game had a lot of charm still.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Yeah I've seen the banner before. And even though Vaati might be the most important and reoccuring villian, he still has competition with the likes of Skull Kid for that title. Skull Kid is also a major villain, and has been in more "important" games than Vaati has. And Vaati only basically has one role to base himself off, his appearance in Minish Cap as a humanoid wizard. He's easily one of the most overrated characters in my opinion. And if they'd go for a new Zelda villain, I think Ganon would fit the bill wayyyyy better.

Anyway, people here actually fans of Skyward Sword? The game has had a lot of negative reception around here, but I really enjoyed it. The temples especially where amazing, as where the controlls and the combat. Sure, there was little to no actual exploration, but I think the game had a lot of charm still.
I liked it! I thought it provided a nice origin story for the Master Sword, and the bosses (barring the Imprisoned) were unique and genuinely fun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I liked it! I thought it provided a nice origin story for the Master Sword, and the bosses (barring the Imprisoned) were unique and genuinely fun.
Well actually the bosses where not too good in my opinion outside of the Ghirahim battles, but the dungeons / temples where simply amazing to me. And yes I liked the whole idea that Skyward Sword was the origin of all, the Master Sword, the origin of Link and Zelda (Hylia) and even evil (Demise / Ganon). And it was all kinds of awesome that Impa was actually Hylia's personal, hand-picked warrior. I think it would be awesome if there ever was a sequel to Hyrule Warriors based on the first Hylia vs Demise war.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I liked it less than most other major console Zelda titles but I still liked it to an extant...the game has it's flaws (as does every game in existance)...but it's not terrible...I don't get upset when I think about the game (unlike Other M for Metroid)...
A few negatives for me were
-Not much exploration
-Goddess Trials (man I hated those)
-controls were kinda awkward (my sword is jutting out to the side when my Wii remote is pointed straight have to resync it)
-running is awesome, getting tired after like 5 seconds and barely moving is not)
-Tentalus (ok battle, generic design)
-Too much hand-holding
-The Imprisoned (once? ok, twice? pushing it, three f*cking times?!!? each time he's more annoying than the last)
-oh yeah Sky Keep, complicated dungeon, no boss....downer...

at the same time there was a lot that the game had to offer and was still enjoyable...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I liked the Goddess Trails actually. I always was pretty hyped doing them, even though they made little sence. I liked the hide & seek aspect of them, and how stressful it could be at times.

Tentalus was a terrible boss in design yeah, but I didn't care too much as I was happy to finally be able to shoot arrows at people. Seriously, I didn't like that you get the bow so late in Skyward Sword, but it's just a mere pet peeve.

Exploration was actually not as much of a concept in all 3D Zelda games except for Wind Waker. Twilight Princess might've seemed like it had exploration, but I'd rather have a smaller overworld with actual stuff to do as in Skyward Sword, than an empty open world without anything in it like Twilight Princess. Ideally though, we'd combine both, which might seem to be the main inpiration for Zelda Wii U.

The Imprisoned was annoying to fight indeed, especially the last time (those ****ing shockwaves when he hits the ground just what the hell) but it was awesome storyline wise. Having to guard to seal of The Imprisoned made Skyward Sword's story quite a lot deeper than the usual Zelda game. So I actually give them props for it.

Running was an awesome concept, and I was glad to see it implemented in Skyward Sword but the stamina indeed was rather lame... I was always hoping you'd get some sort of item that would give you more stamina, but it didn't happen which was a major bummer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah the excecution was piss poor and was especially in the battles against The Imprisoned bothersome. Again, I was really hoping for an item that would upgrade your stamina during the game... Anyways... I still really want Impa to happen. The fact she wasn't at all an alt for Sheik makes me think that if Impa was already on Sakurai's mind,she would be mostly unique.

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
just wondering what do people honestly think our chances of getting impa with no bias.

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
i dont think inkling will be a charecter considering they announced a dlc pack with costumes

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
i dont think inkling will be a charecter considering they announced a dlc pack with costumes
Mii fighter outfits do not deconfirm their possible DLC inclusion, it most likely means that they may not be one of the predetermined dlc fighters...they may still be added from the smash ballot as they do get a lot of support overall...

Anyways in terms of Impa's chances it really does depend on how many characters we do get from the smash ballot and what her role (if any) will be for Zelda U...overall I am fairly optimistic...
I rated her somewhere around 30% or so in the RTC thread, so its doable and likely better than most other characters...

Last edited:

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
Today a thought came into my mind maybe if Impa wasnt a sheik clone she could be something like a paleutana semi clone personally if we are getting Impa as a clone I would rather a sheik clone but if they went for the more magic/summoning type of character. If we are getting Impa though I would want the monk style diddy suggested that sounds amazing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could easily see Impa happening before the return of the likes of Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle. She even seems more likely than other popular choices as Krystal, Bandana Dee and Captain Toad because she could be made a semi-clone thus she takes far less time to develop. Only Dixie Kong is a character I see more likely than Impa in that same scenario. But Dixie has lots of other factors contributing to her better chances. Impa could very well happen after or before we get a ballot character in. And I think Zelda is so overdue for something new, that a pick like Impa seems just very likely to make if they gonna add more semi-clones, or just look for someone new for Zelda.

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
Everyone should also hit up smashifyed to see if they can make a impa render there are no smash style impa renders and i think it would add alot of hype for her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, with Zelda Wii U not showing up on E3 could mean that it's gonna be delayed. I guess that means a lower chance of any Zelda Wii U character ever being popular on the ballot. So Impa will probably remain the top contender from the Zelda series how long the ballot runs. I think that's a pretty good thing for us here execting / wanting Impa!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Impa's my personal choice for a Zelda newcomer.

Yay.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Great to have you with us @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei . We can still use all the support that we can get.

I still think it's rather strange that Skyward Sword didn't exactly got a whole lot of representation in Smash this time around, despite it being majorly advertised before it's release. It being the very first game in Zelda's timeline should've made it more important in my opinion. Skyloft as a stage was a cute idea, but they could've done so much better...

Still hoping for SS Impa though. I also really like HW Impa, but Skyward Sword Impa just has that story importance aspect going for her, and I prefer her looks.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Still hoping for SS Impa though. I also really like HW Impa, but Skyward Sword Impa just has that story importance aspect going for her, and I prefer her looks.
I personally prefer the HW design. It just looks cooler to me. Although the SS Impa design makes Impa look like a ninja type of character which is what she is supposed to be. Also do you guys think Impa will be in Zelda Wii U.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I personally prefer the HW design. It just looks cooler to me. Although the SS Impa design makes Impa look like a ninja type of character which is what she is supposed to be. Also do you guys think Impa will be in Zelda Wii U.
Yes am quite sure she will be featured in Zelda Wii U. Zelda Wii U already follows a quite similar art style as Skyward Sword, so I have a hard time imagining Impa not being there in her Skyward Sword design, maybe more revamped to make her stand out more from her SS incaration. Am thinking she might also be the captain of the Hyrule knight squad, a Sage, and Zelda's bodyguard / caretaker at the same time. Zelda Wii U might be the biggest promotion Impa could get in the Zelda series after her revival in Skyward Sword, and being made playable in Hyrule Warriors. I also have this slight feeling that Impa might one day become the "female Link" fans have wanted since Day 01.

Top Bottom