• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm not racist. I stereotype - it's faster."

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
>_>

<_<

Yet another fail thread.

Edit: "Let's get dangerous!"

Smooth Criminal
not a fail. but having them debate was getting out of control.

If I don't date outside my race, that's my preference. Does that make me a racist? I don't see why it should. I'm also against cultural genocide. If you want to live somewhere, you abide to the rules, learn the language, and live like everybody else. You also don't try to change a country that you're not from. Does that make me racist? I don't see what it should. If I wanted to see a culture I can see here in the US, why would I bother wanting to see all around the world? I'm sure you get the point.
u can date whoever u want. i understand what ur saying, but u need to realize that this thread wasnt supposed to be a debate thread for frotz and alien vission. this thread is about Stereotyping Vs. Racism; how they compare, the differences, etc.

M@v

Subarashii!
Disclaimer: Not offending anyone here, this is a very touchy topic so keep your mind open.

I try as hard as I can not to stereotype, but sometimes its so obvious it walks up and smacks me across the face I can't deny it. The main one I have noticed(At least in my city) is this:

Whenever there is a high crime area in a city, there is a high African American population.

Even though this is a stereotype, I know first hand that all African Americans are not bad. In fact many of my friends are black, and great people. Am I racist for pointing that out? No. Its a simple observation I have realized throughout my years living here. To be racist, I would first have to hate someone. Second, some sort of resentment towards ALL people of a ethnicity.
Its also worthy to note that there is an exception here as well; one of the higher crime neighborhoods has a much more balanced ethnicity.

Another example is that I'm not attracted to black women. At all. Am I racist? I don't feel so. My body just isn't attracted for some reason I don't know *shrug*.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Disclaimer: Not offending anyone here, this is a very touchy topic so keep your mind open.

I try as hard as I can not to stereotype, but sometimes its so obvious it walks up and smacks me across the face I can't deny it. The main one I have noticed(At least in my city) is this:

Whenever there is a high crime area in a city, there is a high African American population.

Even though this is a stereotype, I know first hand that all African Americans are not bad. In fact many of my friends are black, and great people. Am I racist for pointing that out? No. Its a simple observation I have realized throughout my years living here. To be racist, I would first have to hate someone. Second, some sort of resentment towards ALL people of a ethnicity.
Its also worthy to note that there is an exception here as well; one of the higher crime neighborhoods has a much more balanced ethnicity.

Another example is that I'm not attracted to black women. At all. Am I racist? I don't feel so. My body just isn't attracted for some reason I don't know *shrug*.
i understand completely. this is a very touchy subject, and we r not trying to offend any1. the fact is, most stereotypes r true. r these morally right? probably not. and as for the attraction thing, what ethnicity r u?

I should have clarified, Cash. My bad. This is actually a good topic.

That debate was what prompted me to say that. Didn't mean to offend.

Smooth Criminal
nah it's all good man, i understand. but it's been sorta resolved.

I've learned from this thread that Alien Vision should not be argued with, because he is the reincarnation of Shadow13.
who was this guy? :o

Stereotypes don't exist because they are true. They exist so that we can fulfill them, and we are good at it.
idk so much about this particular sentence. stereotypes probably originated from racist ppl, but there is a touch of truth to stereotypes.

That was probably the best quote ever.
sig? :p

Uffe

Smash Hero
That was probably the best quote ever.
I wouldn't just say that. Do you think that if someone was born without learning anything from the history books, that people would stop holding grudges? I'm not saying that we should stop teaching history, but here is an example I've experienced.

Story Time!

A few days later after what had happened to Japan with the whole earthquake and tsunami, I volunteered to help out collecting money for the Japan Relief Fund. I wasn't with the Red Cross, but that's where this money was going to. A lot of people were giving money and to me, it didn't matter how much they gave, as long as they gave. Then this guy decided to make a snide remark.

He said, "I'm not helping Japan. They bombed us! They deserved this."

Well well. I guess he must have fallen asleep during the rest of his history class and failed to realize that the U.S. bombed Japan twice with atomic bombs.

Hey, look. There is some stupidity in this story the moment that guy was mentioned.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
If I don't date outside my race, that's my preference. Does that make me a racist? I don't see why it should.
If you haven't dated outside your race, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're making it some sort of rule that you follow because you're judging new people based on their race because of experiences you've had with people of that race, then you're being racist.

Or maybe it's that whenever there is a high crime area in a city, there is a high population of poor people. There's an undeniable correlation between race and class.

Another example is that I'm not attracted to black women. At all. Am I racist? I don't feel so.
So all black women look the same? This statement would be a lot easier to accept if you said something like "I've never been attracted to a black woman" but to say it like you did implies that you are stereotyping and suggesting that all black women look a certain way, which is of course ridiculous. People of sub-Saharan African descent (black people) are probably the most diverse group of people on the planet when it comes to features and skin color.

Lumping an entire group of people together and saying you're "not attracted to them"?
Pretty much racist.

:redface:

I love how racist crap is always followed or preceded by people saying "BY THE WAY I KNOW MINORITIES AND HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE MINORITIES" as if that somehow makes what they say okay. This trend needs to die.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
If you haven't dated outside your race, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're making it some sort of rule that you follow because you're judging new people based on their race because of experiences you've had with people of that race, then you're being racist.

Or maybe it's that whenever there is a high crime area in a city, there is a high population of poor people. There's an undeniable correlation between race and class.

So all black women look the same? This statement would be a lot easier to accept if you said something like "I've never been attracted to a black woman" but to say it like you did implies that you are stereotyping and suggesting that all black women look a certain way, which is of course ridiculous. People of sub-Saharan African descent (black people) are probably the most diverse group of people on the planet when it comes to features and skin color.

Lumping an entire group of people together and saying you're "not attracted to them"?
Pretty much racist.

:redface:

I love how racist crap is always followed or preceded by people saying "BY THE WAY I KNOW MINORITIES AND HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE MINORITIES" as if that somehow makes what they say okay. This trend needs to die.
it's not racist to say all black ppl look the same. it's merely an observation. black people say all white people look the same, and white people say all black people look the same.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
it's not racist to say all black ppl look the same. it's merely an observation. black people say all white people look the same, and white people say all black people look the same.
It's an observation that's clearly not true and easily proved wrong, so much that it's not even worth saying.

It's racist.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nope. I just prefer hooking up with my own people. I've seen plenty different races and found a few of them attractive, but not to the point I'd really ever start anything with them.

He's not the only one.

It makes me mad just thinking about it.
The next time something bad happens to the U.S., if I'm still around to see something drastic happen, I'll be sure to say, "Pray for the U.S.? Does anybody remember the times they butted into other countries affairs?" Yes, the U.S. loves being nosy.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
if im not implying that white ppl b better than black ppl, then it's not racist.
This is exactly why racism is just as convoluted as morality. Winding bias personal opinions will always eat away at solid debate in a heartbeat, because the debate you are facing only has one side to the coin.

I mean..

U.S.A - Ultimate Stupidity Army

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
if im not implying that white ppl b better than black ppl, then it's not racist.
I think that if you're saying that black people are all indistinguishable from each other, then it implies that they have less individuality than white people. The implication is that one group is made up of clones, while the other is made up of diverse individuals. There is a "better than" notion in that line of thinking.

What it could also mean, for people who think that way, is that they categorize all blacks as Generic Black Person, whereas they view each white person as an individual, not as Generic White Person. They may be doing it unintentionally, but that doesn't mean it isn't racist. Definitely less harmful that outright bigotry, but still a form of racial prejudice.

M@v

Subarashii!

Pretty much racist.

Oh, I meant I never have been. Should of made it clearer there. I might find someone I'm attracted to. But at this point I have yet to meet one.

That's a good way to think of it actually.

Also to the topic creator: I'm white.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
This is exactly why racism is just as convoluted as morality. Winding bias personal opinions will always eat away at solid debate in a heartbeat, because the debate you are facing only has one side to the coin.

I mean..

U.S.A - Ultimate Stupidity Army
i think that ppl will constantly say something is racist when it's not.

I think that if you're saying that black people are all indistinguishable from each other, then it implies that they have less individuality than white people. The implication is that one group is made up of clones, while the other is made up of diverse individuals. There is a "better than" notion in that line of thinking.

What it could also mean, for people who think that way, is that they categorize all blacks as Generic Black Person, whereas they view each white person as an individual, not as Generic White Person. They may be doing it unintentionally, but that doesn't mean it isn't racist. Definitely less harmful that outright bigotry, but still a form of racial prejudice.
i can understand this, but i also think ppl assume too much.

Oh, I meant I never have been. Should of made it clearer there. I might find someone I'm attracted to. But at this point I have yet to meet one.

That's a good way to think of it actually.

Also to the topic creator: I'm white.
makes sense: a recent study showed that around 70 or 80% of ppl r usually attracted to their own race the most, so this makes sense.

I agree with the above statements.
:awesome::mad::awesome:

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Meh...

Every single person is racist in some way. Whether it be racist against a different race, or racist for your own race (holding your race as better then others) it's still a form of racism. You bunch of dirty racists!

The real issue is: Are you harboring feelings or resentment toward a race, or superiority of your own race? If so you are in the wrong and should examine where those feelings come from and understand why they are wrong. Stereotypes for the most part exist because they have been manifested in real life. Some are wrong but others are undeniable. I'm hispanic, does my family ride 22 people to a car? Yes we do, stereotypes ftw. I don't consider myself a racist but I make racist jokes all the time. Why? They are funny that's why. Why are they funny? They are based on truth, otherwise known as stereotypes.

Yes every person is an individual and should be treated as such, but at times I certainly understand stereotyping. It's a fact of life when we lack a large amount of information about another person we look to fill in that gap somehow. That's all I got.

U.S.A. = Ultimate Sex Association

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
jw, y do u feel the need to question everybody? :l
CA5H, why do you feel the need to speak on behalf of everybody? :|
Not because you are partially racist that you need to do as if everybody was.

Also, Alien, you're stepping out of line.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion

What kind of question is that?
a questioningly question? idk.

i do what i want.
no i just remember this person in the debate hall who did nothing but ****ing question everybody, just because he could, even if he believed what they were saying. it wasnt about trying to help ppl get a new perspective, he was just being a ****.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

Excuse me? How am I stepping out of line? C4SH understood me just fine. Unless you're talking about the U.S.A.. Then you really need to chill. :c

Also, regarding the other thread. What are you talking about contradicting myself? I would like a proper, elaborate answer please.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
A person says something inaccurate.
I mention that it's not accurate.
There is nothing wrong with that.
Who cares what some guy did in the debate hall one time?
It has nothing to do with me.

Please stop being so ridiculous.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

Sadly, it is you who is ridiculous. You are trying to state everything as fact. You won't give anyone a chance to deem their opinion when they answer your thousand questions, then you just shove everything in their face and expect them to say ''Thankyou, for your knowledge Batman''.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion

no i understand... it's just u remind me of that guy. and i dont think ur a **** :p lol

but anyways, this thread is kinda going off topic, which is partly my fault. would u guys say it would be racist to call a white person a cracker or a black person a n-word? id go ahead and guess what ur intentions would be.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Seriously. People complain way too much. They are just words.
It makes utterly no sense that they can call each other the N word, but us white folks can't, because it's racist? Sounds to me, that they are the ones who are advocating racism, not us.

It makes no sense, really. Crackers aren't even white!

Inb4Frotaz

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Black people call other black people the n word because WITHIN THE BLACK COMMUNITY it's a term of camaraderie. As you may have noticed, white people are not in the black community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom