• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know what SmashBoards or Fire Emblem communities were like, but that's what I got from the other online communities I was on.

Edit - Oh, also a lot of "Who the **** is Ike" IRL, too.
I was a lurker back then, and the only people that lashed at Ike were the Lyndis fanboys.

Like, I never recalled people labeling Ike as terrible and unoriginal.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Hmm, yeah, I suppose so. I've never gone to a national Smash tournament, so I have nothing to compare it with.

I mean, both games have scrubs, the fanatics, casuals... the whole "git gud" thing is a sarcastic remark, yes, but that doesn't make it untrue. If you're not about improving and stepping up your game, then you fall into the casual bin, usually. I just think it's silly to complain about Ike's up smash when he is such a punishable character with almost no non-jab combos.

I only brought up the whole "casuals hate facing Ike" thing because a lot of videos and podcasts I saw lately mentioned that. I honestly have no clue if it's true or not. Regardless, it's not important... unless Sakurai nerfed Ike ;_;
Oh please Sakurai, for the love of everything holy, don't nerf Ike! That said, this game seems to be focusing on buffing all the characters

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's interesting; there must be some technical problem or something, but Ike's face is still being blocked my a "?" out there.

I prefer to think it's because he's too sexy. I mean look at this. The sensors have to do all they can to keep it at bay. :4myfriends: :4myfriends:

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Eruption

That fire is quite red

My thoughts: "Ok..."

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Eruption, no, stahp. Pls. Y u do dis?

*sigh* Oh well.

Commander

Smash Ace
I don't get it. How does anyone look so much into making sure a character gets so much detail right in their appearance and moveset, yet get the color of fire wrong twice?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sad to see that it's not blue. I could understand it before, but...why not change it now?

Here's hoping his blue fire makes an appearance in his Final Smash...

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
There's always the possibility that they just haven't gotten that far yet. For instance, in the Direct ZSS used her Brawl pose for her neutral special. And then not too long after, the POTD updated with a brand new pose for her.

Sakurai stressed that not everything in the pics are final. So, maybe they will add the blue fire, they just haven't hit that point yet.

The dream is not dead!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm gonna maintain hope that he kept it that way "so it didn't look different from Brawl's normally" (I know, but bear with me.)

And that there's a customizable version of it that has blue fire. Please...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I only brought up the whole "casuals hate facing Ike" thing because a lot of videos and podcasts I saw lately mentioned that. I honestly have no clue if it's true or not. Regardless, it's not important... unless Sakurai nerfed Ike ;_;
Now I'm starting to feel suspicious. Show us a buff, Sakurai. Show us something more than a visual cue for a move people hardly charge, anyway.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't get it. How does anyone look so much into making sure a character gets so much detail right in their appearance and moveset, yet get the color of fire wrong twice?
Invalid argument. Ike doesn't even produce fire in his own games in the first place; therefore it is not possible to "get it wrong".

"Ike's flame is not blue?"
"OH NOES, IS DA END OF THE WORLD!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

Considering the amount of things Pokemon bans to make the game skill-based I don't think it should be used as an example of GITTING GUD.
'Scussssss me, but the Ubers metagame barely has any bans and it's an extremely diverse and skill-based metagame. OU's philosophy is a bit more nuanced than just ban whatever is broke, afaik. There's a desire to make it an ideal metagame more than simply one where the better player wins. It's supposed to be constructed, not simply minimalist.

Anyways, I can't help but feel Sakurai is doing this on purpose. The first direct info he gives us about Ike after two POTDs after his reveal is confirming the appearance of the move none of his fanboys wanted to see again. I hope he throws us a bone sometime soon. ;_;

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
'Scussssss me, but the Ubers metagame barely has any bans and it's an extremely diverse and skill-based metagame. OU's philosophy is a bit more nuanced than just ban whatever is broke, afaik. There's a desire to make it an ideal metagame more than simply one where the better player wins. It's supposed to be constructed, not simply minimalist.

Anyways, I can't help but feel Sakurai is doing this on purpose. The first direct info he gives us about Ike after two POTDs after his reveal is confirming the appearance of the move none of his fanboys wanted to see again. I hope he throws us a bone sometime soon. ;_;
I'm perfectly aware. But Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, Moody Clause et al all exist. They need to to make Pokemon more skill-based, but the Pokemon community is hardly a prime example of a competitive community that accepts their given game whole cloth and GITS GUD instead of altering the game state. That was my point.

Signed, Gen 5 Ubers player. I've given up competitive Pokemon for a while now, though.

D

Deleted member 212841

We took away evasion clause :>

Oh but the git gud thing wasn't related to what I was trying to say. I just disagreed with the statement that they needed plenty of bans to have something skilled based (at least that's what I interpreted it as). Moody, Sleep, OHKO, and Species are really quite minimalist especially when you consider just how much of an "uncompetitive" impact they have and that you still have the option to use any Pokemon you like. Kinda pointless to say that, though, since it seems the issue here was just me pulling your statement out of its context.

Come back to Ubers. It's a hot metagame and the community is a lot bigger and warmer than it was before.

Do you guys think anybody will bring Ike in the invitational at E3? Would be a good chance to see just how badass he really is.

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
I'm getting tired of that "?" in Ike's subforum icon :( give the poor man a proper icon already!

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Eruption, huh? I don't really know what to say about it, for I am neither excited nor disappointed that it's back.

Anyway, how about we reflect on Eruption in SSBB? Besides the blue flames, what changes would you like to see made to it this time (i.e. hitbox, knockback, meteor smash)? Speaking of the latter property, has anyone ever gotten Eruption to successfully meteor smash an opponent off-stage? Yes, it is impractical, but I'm just curious. I've never done it nor have I ever seen it done.

^-^

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Eruption, huh? I don't really know what to say about it, for I am neither excited nor disappointed that it's back.

Anyway, how about we reflect on Eruption in SSBB? Besides the blue flames, what changes would you like to see made to it this time (i.e. hitbox, knockback, meteor smash)? Speaking of the latter property, has anyone ever gotten Eruption to successfully meteor smash an opponent off-stage? I've never done it nor have I ever seen it done.

^-^
If I'm trying to meteor things, his down air works pretty well. I really only used Eruption for edge guarding or hitting someone attempting to come down on top of me. Since it is back, I don't really know what changes I'd like. It has surprising range and immense knockback. Maybe more shield damage from it would be nice.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
Invalid argument. Ike doesn't even produce fire in his own games in the first place; therefore it is not possible to "get it wrong".

"Ike's flame is not blue?"
"OH NOES, IS DA END OF THE WORLD!"
If you actually played his games you would see that for the entire time he has Ragnell the ranged attack is always blue fire. It is harder to tell in PoR but you can see there is a blue flash and in RD it is very clear that it is blue fire.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If you actually played his games you would see that for the entire time he has Ragnell the ranged attack is always blue fire. It is harder to tell in PoR but you can see there is a blue flash and in RD it is very clear that it is blue fire.
Except that that is a sword beam, not a down thrust sword explosion.

Hong

The Strongest
Except that that is a sword beam, not a down thrust sword explosion.
It doesn't really matter.

They made up Eruption for Ike, which is fine. But if you are going to make up a move, you may as well try to tie it to aspects of the character that are relevant where possible while still respecting the mechanics dictated by game balance and design.

There is no reason not to have blue flames for Ike. That's his legacy. It's written in stone.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess the color of the fire has always been a pretty non-factor to me. It's a detail I could live with or without.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm trying to figure out in my head as to why it even matters.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I'm trying to figure out in my head as to why it even matters.
Because it is the equivalent of Mario shooting lightning instead of fire and Pichu shooting fire instead of lightning. The only reason there aren't as many people complaining is because less people played Ike's games. Who is your favorite character? Imagine if they just had one of their most defining and distinguishing features completely omitted.

It is very hard to believe that Sakurai even likes Fire Emblem anymore.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No it's not the same as those because it's a different color, not a different element.
And no, he didn't have it in PoR. Clearly not a defining feature.
My favorite character is Wario. Sakurai is ignoring Wario Land, my favorite franchise, and I couldn't care less.

Jesus why am I even arguing about this

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I actually would like to see Ike use an Axe for his Side Special, either as a projectile or as a "Dancing Axe" move. Either way, it would probably be better then QD overall.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
No it's not the same as those because it's a different color, not a different element.
My favorite character is Wario. Sakurai is ignoring Wario Land, my favorite franchise, and I couldn't care less.

It's more that recoloring fire is beyond easy, and it wasn't done. It's like Mario not having his normal color palette, it won't kill my enjoyment of him it just seems like a massive oversight when it's something that could so easily be fixed.

I realize hoping for a sword beam was, perhaps, foolish.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I get wanting Blue flames but I don't get why it really matters in the end.

Especially with the overreactions.

Commander

Smash Ace

The color matters because that is his title. Also blue flames were already in the game for Lucario so they could just paste those over but chose not to, yet Luigi gets to be the only character with green flames made just for him even though red flames still make sense for him. If he didn't have it in PoR then why is there a blue flash? Why doesn't he react to seeing blue flames in RD?

D

Deleted member 212841

I think its more just an icing on the cake type deal. Like you get stuck with that ****ty eruption for your B move when it could have been something better and on top of that Sakurai couldn't bother to make the fire blue.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I actually would like to see Ike use an Axe for his Side Special, either as a projectile or as a "Dancing Axe" move. Either way, it would probably be better then QD overall.
I'm not so sure Dancing Axe would make much sense. Axes are a little high commitment (as is Ike as a whole) to flow elegantly with strikes.

Maybe Ike can dual wield Ragnell and Urvan for his Final Smash. His two best weapons to beat his foes into submission.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure Dancing Axe would make much sense. Axes are a little high commitment (as is Ike as a whole) to flow elegantly with strikes.

Maybe Ike can dual wield Ragnell and Urvan for his Final Smash. His two best weapons to beat his foes into submission.
Ok....

"Bludgeoning Axe"

Better?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ok....

"Bludgeoning Axe"

Better?
If the movements are jerky and rough compared to Marth's, then yes, better. I don't want some carbon copy move. They already share counter.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If the movements are jerky and rough compared to Marth's, then yes, better. I don't want some carbon copy move. They already share counter.
It was never meant to be a carbon copy, just same in principal but different in execution. Ike would have obviously been slower and stronger and could even be limited to 3 strings instead of 4. :L

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It was never meant to be a carbon copy, just same in principal but different in execution. Ike would have obviously been slower and stronger and could even be limited to 3 strings instead of 4. :L
I know, I figured. It's just too similar for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom