• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm going to have to maintain my position as the Antichrist of the Ike forums, and say that I don't like those victory lines.

IMO they don't fit Ike.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm going to have to maintain my position as the Antichrist of the Ike forums, and say that I don't like those victory lines.

IMO they don't fit Ike.
I always said that the "no sympathy" line is the exact OPPOSITE of what Ike is actually like in his games. He's a very empathetic guy, by and large, except when it comes to people who parade around with lofty titles and such.

The "for my friends" line fits him, I think; it was just voiced in a derpy way.

I'd like both to be scrapped or redone, personally.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Interestingly enough, it was actually equally as silly on the Japanese version. To Jason Adkin's credit, he did well in that respect.:laugh:

In general, it didn't feel like Intelligent Systems was heavily involved with the way the characters were handled in Brawl. In Smash 4, it feels completely different. Everything from Marth and Ike's redesign, down to Robin's mechanics and that character's reveal trailer. The "Radiant hero of legend" line gave me such mad nerd chills.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
The "Radiant hero of legend" line gave me such mad nerd chills.
I had mad nerd convulsions, personally. That moment with all four of our FE reps together right after that sent me over the edge. I flailed. And it was glorious.

On another note, I now have Radiant Dawn. And every NA Fire Emblem release short of POR, which I'm working on. Looking forward to getting to know Ike and his friends better!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Interestingly enough, it was actually equally as silly on the Japanese version. To Jason Adkin's credit, he did well in that respect.:laugh:

In general, it didn't feel like Intelligent Systems was heavily involved with the way the characters were handled in Brawl. In Smash 4, it feels completely different. Everything from Marth and Ike's redesign, down to Robin's mechanics and that character's reveal trailer. The "Radiant hero of legend" line gave me such mad nerd chills.
I agree. But actually, since I was expecting the Radiant Dawn Ike this time around, I'm most excited with Marth's design. Marth actually LOOKS like a man now what with the wider jaw and stronger features and now I've noticed that he's much more built. Marth's finally looking the way he should have looked since his Melee debut.

And now Ike LOOKS like an experienced Hero (FE class reference). Like If you see Ike in a match you know to be afraid. I can't wait to use him to see if those muscles aren't just for show!

And nerd-chills? That's it? I got a full blown nerd-gasm.

Wolfo

Smash Rookie
I logged in (Usually just lurk tons) just to join you people on the marvel that is Ike.

I definitely enjoyed Jason Adkins' work over long speeches (Ike's last conversation with Elincia in PoR, or his "Without that we're nothing more than statues" to Yune). He sounded so calm, yet full of resolve. Hard to put into words. It might've been only the writing, but I felt the acting really reflected Ike's character.

Then again, whenever there was yelling or grunting involved, I couldn't help but cringe. It felt extremely out of place...

After listening to Priam's VA, I have to say I'd love him as RD Ike in Smash. He sounds better suited for battle-like voice acting, which Smash is almost exclusively composed of.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It was one thing to see Ike descend in blue flames in the Robin trailer and be referred to as the Radiant Hero of Legend.

It was another thing entirely to see and hear him have enough strength to implant Ragnell one-handed in cold hard steel and cross his arms like he did during the reference, as if to say "Yeah, I am indeed that guy."

That gave me shivers. Nice shivers, though.

Dunk Master

Smash Cadet
thank you for mentioning peach ! it's very true :4peach:
"You'll get no sympathy from me!" jk.
Seriously, as cool as that quote is, why does Ike have it?

Anyway, Ike could use a speed boost. I just hope his range and power don't pay too heavy of a price for that speed though. I still want him to be the dunk master of super smash bros.

and blue fire is cool

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike has a new VA? Interesting... Hope he sounds more intimidating then. Brawl Ike had his moments though. His fsmash grunt just sounded funny.. Moooomph!

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ike has a new VA? Interesting... Hope he sounds more intimidating then. Brawl Ike had his moments though. His fsmash grunt just sounded funny.. Moooomph!
Where did you hear this?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
It's more speculation about possible alternatives. We don't know if Ike will have a new VA or not.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
So the VA's basically Hagi Michihiko (萩 道彦) in the Japanese version and Jason Adkins in the English version?

Adkins's work was fine to me, the Star Fox characters in Brawl on the other hand...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Finally wrapped up Path of Radiance tonight, a phenomenal game, and man do I love Ike so much more now. I'm beginning Radiant Dawn as soon as possible, I can hardly wait.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Remember guys, regarding voice overs, it's important to know that the actors themselves aren't the only thing that matter.

There's always a VO director telling the actors how they're supposed to act, and to what degree. An actor is only terrible if they cannot give a quality performance under the condition that the director required.

But on the other hand, there is such a thing as bad voice direction. The director could require the actor to provide something that is less than stellar, but the actor doesn't always know how bad it is because they were doing what the director asked of them.

Such a thing was present in Brawl. Not all the voice direction was bad, some of it was questionable, but there were plenty of good parts. It's really kind of "On-&-Off" in Brawl, sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much.

Ike's voice work, I felt, was well done for the most part. I liked Jason Adkins as Ike, and would like to see more of his work with better voice direction. PoR and RD didn't have the best direction regarding it (though Mist in RD was legit bad, IMO) but Awakening and Sakurai's own KI:Uprising had fantastic voice work. Great casts with great direction.

I'm positive Ike's voice will shine through this time around. It will be... radiant.

GREAT AETHER!!!

Last edited:

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
Personal, I want Ike's Path of Radiance design back in the game because one color like makes him look like an average 21 year old male putting a cape and start fight with a giant blade. Plus, if everyone is getting at least one alt; that's would be the one.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I'm super psyched for Ike in SSB4. The devs seem to be paying a lot more attention to FE in general this time around. Any trailer that mentions the titles Hero-King and the Radiant Hero gets its stamp of FE cred approval from me. I was in a wash of fanboy emotions when all four FE characters dove at each other at the end of the last trailer. Path of Radiance is my all-time favorite video game, and the FE series in general is one of my favorites.

As for Ike's VA, I'd prefer if Jason returned, since he has been Ike's sole VA in three games now, but I agree that his Brawl performance was subpar. I thought he sounded fine in PoR and RD (he was one of the few in RD that wasn't atrocious), and his grunts and shouts in Brawl were good in general. It was just his Brawl dialogue that was really cringe-worthy. His voice sounded closer to Greil's than Ike's, and he just came off as really bored and confused. Plus, I don't think there is any cool way to say "I fight for my friends". Anyway, I'm confident with Sakurai's Uprising track record that his team could get a good performance out of Jason. If they do switch, though, I'm hoping they find a completely new voice, and don't just hijack Priam's voice (great as his VA is).

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
In a way, this Colosseum is a Radiant Dawn stage, as the song that plays in the E3 demo is "The Devoted" or the Greil Mercenary battle theme in Radiant Dawn.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I would really like to see the altar from Serenes Forest as a stage. It's elevated, so no walk offs, and it's very iconic in FE9/10. Further, while it didn't occur in RD, the forest could start off dead and be brought back to life mid-battle by Reyson and Leanne's galdr for some dynamic scenery.

Also, as loads of people have said, the Tower of Guidance would be great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom