• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could only choose 1, DLC or game patches?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
DLC: characters, stages, costumes, etc..
Or patches to fix balance

You can only choose 1, which would you want?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It depends on gameplay and content, there's no way to decide yet. Namco and Nintendo are balancing hard this time, but it's too soon to guess.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Depends on how good the balance is in the first place.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Game patches. The only way we can achieve something resembling true balance is if they look at the battle records for the thousands of people playing, and not just between 20 people at their HQ. Smash 4 will be stoked on enough content on release anyways I'm sure, and there's very little content that feels mandatory this time around, so it's either between icing on the cake or proper balancing.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I'll take patches over stupid commercial gimmicks that used to be included in patches before people went full-****** please.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Patches for sure, my experience with PSASBR has shown me DLC doesn't mean crap without good gameplay.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Neither.

Cause if the game is lacking content and is horribly balanced, I probably shouldn't be playing it to begin with and will be trading it in as soon as possible. ¦D

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
Neither.

Cause if the game is lacking content and is horribly balanced, I probably shouldn't be playing it to begin with and will be trading it in as soon as possible. ¦D

This is true, however look at how much the brawl tier list has changed over the years

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
This is true, however look at how much the brawl tier list has changed over the years
Tier list?

If I don't like how the game plays or it's lack of substance, back to the store it goes! XD

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
no way to choose since there no way to know what all is in this game

D

Deleted member

Hmm... I go with patches. I want the game to be as balanced as possible.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
DLC. I mostly stay play Brawl with my friends and therefore we all have a rule against playing as Metaknight. Actually, we always have rules when we play games in general to stay away from broken characters/things, so I'd be fine with that. Plus, it sounds like you guys don't have any faith in the gameplay. While Brawl had it's problems, it certainly wasn't unplayable, and SSB4 is already bound to be better just from looking at trailers. I'd love for stuff to be added that couldn't be added in time.

aggronianmaster1

Smash Cadet
Patches would be nice to have so we can balance the game out :D and besides who wants to pay extra money for awesome DLC

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Not a Real Super Smash Fan are you...
How dare I not like or play a game that conceptually doesn't appeal to me? ¦D

Now to set things straight, I love Smash, but I'm talking about more than just Smash here. I'm also talking about other fighting games and just games in general.

And in every sense for any game, I'm not gonna play a game I don't like. I play games cause they're enjoyable. They're fun to play, fun to learn more about, fun to improve and excel in, fun to mess around in, fun to compete in, fun to make memories in and fun to complete.

If I'm not enjoying any of that or even most of that, there's a problem and the only solution is to drop that game and play another one. That's my gaming philosophy and I'll tell you now, it saves me a lot of time, money and headaches.

If blindly playing something I don't like just to support it is what being a "Real Fan" is, then I'm not a "Real Fan" of anything in life.

I may love Sonic but I sure as hell won't play or support Sonic 06. XD

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Patches.

Usually both choices come together...you can't just throw in a character(s) without balancing him/her/them in the game or you'll have to rebalance the game around him/her or them.

aggronianmaster1

Smash Cadet
How dare I not like or play a game that conceptually doesn't appeal to me? ¦D

Now to set things straight, I love Smash, but I'm talking about more than just Smash here. I'm also talking about other fighting games and just games in general.

And in every sense for any game, I'm not gonna play a game I don't like. I play games cause they're enjoyable. They're fun to play, fun to learn more about, fun to improve and excel in, fun to mess around in, fun to compete in, fun to make memories in and fun to complete.

If I'm not enjoying any of that or even most of that, there's a problem and the only solution is to drop that game and play another one. That's my gaming philosophy and I'll tell you now, it saves me a lot of time, money and headaches.

If blindly playing something I don't like just to support it is what being a "Real Fan" is, then I'm not a "Real Fan" of anything in life.

I may love Sonic but I sure as hell won't play or support Sonic 06. XD

lol its true. im sorry :p

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd pick patches, but if it meant getting Roy back I'd probably pick DLC

Reznor

work in progress
I would prefer game patches but DLC makes more sense
casuals don't care about balancing all they care about are more character/stages and sadly they are the majority

Hipuru

Smash Rookie
I would choose game patches for sure because honestly the only DLC we would be caring about is new character DLC other DLC like "a new item", or new game mode don't matter as far as the tournament scene of smash goes. So because DLC is not a good way to go is because if it were a new Character then that character will either be incredibly useless or the next meta knight, so I choose game patches just incase the current roster gets out of hand

link2702

Smash Champion
patches.

DLC isn't a priority really....balance patches should be one however.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Not a Real Super Smash Fan are you...
If you think that subscribing to a tier list makes you a real smash fan, I've got a bad surprise for you... Tournament people are just the worst type of Smash fan. Making the tier lists just pisses people off because honestly, it's all in how you play. I'm way better with Roy than I am with Fox.

Hipuru

Smash Rookie
D
If you think that subscribing to a tier list makes you a real smash fan, I've got a bad surprise for you... Tournament people are just the worst type of Smash fan. Making the tier lists just pisses people off because honestly, it's all in how you play. I'm way better with Roy than I am with Fox.
Dude would you rather have DLC for another character that could beat Roy or would you want Roy to have just as good a chance as any character to win a tournament.. And btw Smash is one of my most favorite fighting games if I weren't a true "fan" don't you think I would give 2 craps about smash forums or perhaps the game itself..

Hipuru

Smash Rookie
D
Dude would you rather have DLC for another character that could beat Roy or would you want Roy to have just as good a chance as any character to win a tournament.. And btw Smash is one of my most favorite fighting games if I weren't a true "fan" don't you think I would give 2 craps about smash forums or perhaps the game itself..

Morbi

Scavenger
I would actually prefer DLC. I have dealt with the horrible balance of these games for a decade. I have gotten used to it honestly. I just want something new and exciting to incite interest.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I would actually prefer DLC. I have dealt with the horrible balance of these games for a decade. I have gotten used to it honestly. I just want something new and exciting to incite interest.

Haha, this is how I feel too. I'm been maining DK since forever, so even if he's the worst in the game, I'll deal with it. But having new characters constantly coming in would be really legit.

Strider

Smash Rookie
DLC if I could only choose one. Patches would make Smash like an mmo. People constantly complaining their character isn't strong enough, characters being really good one day then not good at all the next...plus I think the guys at PM will always do a better job at balancing than the people at Nintendo, so for the most balanced game I would just look to them. So in that case I would rather be able to download extra stages, characters and music. That will also help the game stay a longer standing game than it would have been before.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm gonna go ahead and cheat here.

DLC, because Sakurai can implement balancing changes in them.

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
DLC by far. Adjustments to a character, even slightly, could throw off the whole character for the player.

Top Bottom