• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could only choose 1, DLC or game patches?

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
For me I would definitely pick game patches, because then we could have a balanced game hopefully!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd be pretty irritated if I was enjoying a character and then they patched said character, even if some people would call it a buff but it throws everything off and my rhythm no longer works for it.

Yeah, I definitely pick DLC.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I'll go with Rebalance DLC

Honestly? Heavily depends on the game as delivered on disc. Also, as I already argued, whatever balancing devs apply to the game may be not appropriate to how tournament scene, I, or Queen Victoria plays it. So unless we would find a fix for that, I'd probably go with DLC.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Patches. Sure, DLC would be nice, but it all means nothing if I can't have an enjoyable experience anyway.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Not that this bothers me, but the people who vote patches might-

If Melee had patches, they'd have patched the glitches that you guys think are so great. Wavedashing, etc. Keep that stuff in mind, too...

Renji64

Smash Lord

If Melee had patches, they'd have patched the glitches that you guys think are so great. Wavedashing, etc. Keep that stuff in mind, too...
You know they left wavedashing in the game it isn't a glitch.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
DLC. I honestly just don't trust Nintendo to do patches. They aren't a competitive team like the PM Backroom and what they perceive as OP or lacking might be different than what we perceive.

I'd rather just get extra content. This may be the last smash game and I want the full package it can deliver.

Delgado

Smash Rookie

'Glitches' lol.
First you said 'I'd pick patches' and now you are 'Yeah, I definitely pick DLC'
First you said tier lists are useless and 'it's all in how you play' and now you would be pissed if your character was nerfed, so it's not about the way you play anymore
Nothing personal but wtf man lol

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Patches.

Usually both choices come together...you can't just throw in a character(s) without balancing him/her/them in the game or you'll have to rebalance the game around him/her or them.
Yeah this. This is why it's a stupid question in the first place.

I'd pick DLC simply for the fact nothing will ever be truly balanced and the other Smash games didn't do that horrendous that weren't Brawl but it still doesn't really work. I mean, is there patch DLC for those characters but not for the game? Yeah...

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Patches
Wii u games at e expensive and I'd rather pay for a full, complete game rather than pay for an incomplete game and still have to keep paying for it.
Patches can fix minor issues.

Why not just buy a blank disc and dlc everything?

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I think the term "DLC" generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth due to how poorly they've been handled in recent years. Nintendo has done a fair job with it though, I give them that.

xzx

Smash Lord
Patches to fix balance. I don't wanna have more characters like Meta Knight or stupid strategies like infinites and grab-releases.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
DLC! Patches are for MMOs

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
'Glitches' lol.
First you said 'I'd pick patches' and now you are 'Yeah, I definitely pick DLC'
First you said tier lists are useless and 'it's all in how you play' and now you would be pissed if your character was nerfed, so it's not about the way you play anymore
Nothing personal but wtf man lol

I know, I changed my mind. Yes, glitches, as well because that's what they are, dude. There's a reason they didn't return.

Anyhoo, besides the point. Yes, if I'm playing a game and I enjoy the way a character plays, I'd be goddamned irritated if they changed the way the character plays. It's the small things, too. Ness and Lucas- very similar but with key differences. I wreck with Lucas but suck hard with Ness. Etc

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Yes, glitches, as well because that's what they are, dude. There's a reason they didn't return.
By this reasoning Mewtwo was also a glitch.

Additionally I don't see how sliding on the ground after a downward, diagonal thrust is classified as a glitch. Seems like natural physics to me (aside from the sudden change in momentum, of course).

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I know, I changed my mind. Yes, glitches, as well because that's what they are, dude. There's a reason they didn't return.
wavedashing was pretty logical considering how it worked. Hitting the ground at such and angle you slide. You can't tell me you've never landed and slid before in your life.

They changed the airdodge is all.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
Patches for me.

Why? Because I don't want a character like Brawl Pika or Zelda.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If you think that subscribing to a tier list makes you a real smash fan, I've got a bad surprise for you... Tournament people are just the worst type of Smash fan. Making the tier lists just pisses people off because honestly, it's all in how you play. I'm way better with Roy than I am with Fox.
That's such a stereotype!

I'm a competitive smash gamer and I love the series to the max - to say that i'm a terrible fan for thinking that the tier list is accurate is like saying that a religious Christian can't be asked about God because they'll get too attached to their own view of him. On the contrary, my father's religious but is very happy to share many views on the subject.

Anywho, I will point out that tier lists do have time put into them and for the most part they tend to be accurate. I'm antiban on MK, though I do accept he is the top of the tier list by a long shot. That doesn't mean he can't be won against (See: Apex 2013) but it means he is at a significant advantage vs. the majority of the cast in terms of placings at tournaments and tends to get those spots. I'm far better with Lucas than i'll ever be at MK but even the best Lucas players have lost (in some cases quite easily) to high/top level MKs.

At a casual level I feel the tier list doesn't apply. At competitive level, I feel it's a useful resource and guide.

Oh right, there's a question being posed in this thread.

It's patches for me. There's not much TO DLC that won't feel superficial anyway and if the competitive players happen to detect misnomers or a discrepancy in the capabilities of the characters, Nintendo can then put work in to fixing it.

Though yes, Iblis brings up a good point. ^^

Delgado

Smash Rookie

Anyhoo, besides the point. Yes, if I'm playing a game and I enjoy the way a character plays, I'd be goddamned irritated if they changed the way the character plays. It's the small things, too. Ness and Lucas- very similar but with key differences. I wreck with Lucas but suck hard with Ness. Etc
Hmm, I think I understand but imo a balanced game is more important than the character I like or dislike. And L cancel was in ssb64. It didn't return in brawl because sakurai wanted to make the game easy to play, not because it is a 'glitch'

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
There's no real point in arguing the tier list with casuals.

Take this however you want but I'll tell you my train of thought on the matter, casuals vs. competitive play will be different because casuals will find their way of playing the game "right" like how we in competitive scene find the way we play the game "right". With that in mind, casual high-level play is way different and artificial, compared to competitive high-level play. This makes the tier list inaccurate in their minds. I don't want to the whole "it's all about how you play the character" bull**** either. Even casuals have a character they think is the best and a character they think is utter ****, even if we think otherwise.

The Truff.

Top Bottom