• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could change 1 thing...

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Aerial to ground interactions and aerial to aerial interactions don't make hitboxes ignore each other. The hitboxes still get get removed if they are within that percent amount of each other and they collide. The difference is that the animation continues, so any remaining hitboxes can go on to hit the opponent.
The only time hitboxs don't interact is when one or both of them is labeled as transcendent, like all of MKs sword attacks.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Wait, I thought of something else I really want:

When using Wario's charged Forward throw, it should throw you on a more horizontal trajectory, like it does in the game. Increase in knockback power optional.

Actually, I'd really love to have it be possible to aim the throw with the stick while charging it, complete with targetting reticule, but this is obviously impossible.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
No, that's not quite right.

For one, aerial can't clang in the sense that the move doesn't stop if it runs into another hitbox, vut grounded moves DO stop when they run into another hitbox (unless that grounded move is 9% more damage than the other hitbox). A projectile can ignore a hitbox if it is 9% higher, and so technically Diddy's side B kick has LESS priority than Ganon's Wizard Kick or Captain Falcon's Falcon kick. Since all three moves tie (being within 9%) with most projectiles, and since an aerial tie with projectiles (your move stays out) is better than a ground tie with projectiles (it stops your move), aerials are better against projectiles (unless you just want just to quick stop them, since if you're not approaching your opponent you probably don't want to needlessly put yourself in the air, since it's generally a worse position than being on the ground). Also, just so you know, the aerial versions of falcon kick and wizzard kick will not be stopped by projectiles.

tldr: it's more to do with the fact that aerial moves deal with projectiles better than ground moves.

As for aerial to ground and aerial to aerial encounters, hitboxes ignore each other so it's all about disjoint. Disjoint is a hitbox that comes outside of a hurtbox. Most of the time with kicks and punches the feet and fists cannot be hit, but they can hit the opponent. This is disjoint. All swords are all disjoint as well. When you use a more disjointed move, you will hit the opponent first, assuming you timed and positioned your attack well, giving the illusion of priority. In most cases what people think is priority is really just a move hitting first because of disjoint. (This is admittedly not applicable to what you're talking about, just letting you know).

I'm not defending it. Just explaining it. If you read the above ^ ganon's kick DOES have more priority than Diddy's kicks. Ganon'll beat samus's super missle and maybe even the charged shot with wizzard kick. Diddy's side B will lose to both for sure. It's just that there are plenty of projectiles that tie with both moves and when ground moves tie they stop (which can be useful), when aerial moves tie they continue, and when projectiles tie they fizzle out.
Aaah ok, so diddy beats it because it's an aerial rather than grounded. by the way, even though you didn't know that i knew, i do know what disjointed hitboxes are. but thank you anyways :) but this does make sense now. so thank you. i actually was watching a match earlier of mario v. marth, and marth used his sword to swat fireballs while still moving. thank you, really.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Aerial to ground interactions and aerial to aerial interactions don't make hitboxes ignore each other. The hitboxes still get get removed if they are within that percent amount of each other and they collide. The difference is that the animation continues, so any remaining hitboxes can go on to hit the opponent.
The only time hitboxs don't interact is when one or both of them is labeled as transcendent, like all of MKs sword attacks.
Oh, thanks. Yeah now that I think about it, that makes sense. Otherwise you couldn't ever beat aerial moves with smashes and you definitely can (if the smash is stronger by 9% or more). They kind of ignore each other if neither overpowers the other, which is maybe what I was thinking? Not sure.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
@ Mera Mera Mera Mera My entire point was that he was/is being a prick.
The subject matter of the thread here is secondary at best.

@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood out of that bad mood you were trying to spread yet?

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Nothing I can think of is change worthy really lol.
Although I would make sopo his own character.............

R&B

Smash Apprentice
Cloud the Hedgehog from Naruto in every Smash game from now on including pm.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
So with my new knowledge of how priority works in this game (thank you BlackRain) my changes would be as follows.

Captain falcon has speed to maneuver around projectiles reliably (correct me if i'm wrong, i know cap's 2nd fast in the game but over all i don't know if he really does have trouble with zoners or not) gannondorf however i feel needs to work alot harder, which is where my gripes with the kick came in the first place, it seems like it should outprioritize mario's fireballs but it doesn't.

upon thought though i realized, why maake a change for someone who isn't even my main? while gannon is fun, and my boy Tink is vastly improved (dat fall speed) i'd like to see what kind of terrors Tink could wreak if his grounded fire arrows had hitstun when someone ran into them, they don't go as far as Link's or as fast, he already has alot of stage control but overall his rang is slower and his sword and Zair are shorter, he relies alot on bombs (which i'm fine with, bomb control is something i love about him, the tricks are insane) but giving him that little bit of extra stage control? i mean come on it'd be terrifying (and delicious). obviously grounded arrows would dissappear sooner than now, but as they are it's just a little side effect that doesn't impact the battle much, the fact they're there doesn't phase anyone.

yellowdee

Smash Apprentice
How about an option to swap the inputs of the control stick and the control pad for the GC controller, so that the control pad may be used to move? It would largely work like the wii remote, where you would immediately dash (and tap-up-jump?)

The difference here would be that inputs traditionally yielding smash attacks would yield tilts instead, and the user would then use the c-stick to do smash attacks. Continuing to hold the control pad afterward would allow the user to walk.

Some tweaks may also be done for diagonal inputs. For example, when on the ground, pressing down and left produces a predominantly leftward diagonal input to accommodate wave dashing, but when in the air, down and left produces a largely downward diagonal input to more easily allow a down-B to be performed

Last edited:

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
This isn't directed towards any specific character, but I really want to see a random character strike, similar to random stage strikes

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Doing this more comprehensively now

:charizard:Charizard: Flamethrower's ending animation becomes land-cancelable. One of Charizard's biggest problems is and always has been engaging from an air-to-ground transition. Even something as slow and predictable as Flamethrower has multiple hits, and letting it land cancel would even be a unique attribute. There are only three other short-range projectiles of a similar nature in the game, and they already have unique aspects: Squirtle's Down-B give him a little hop and trips, Ice Climbers can desynch blizzards for a Fence of Pain, and Bowser can Flame Cancel the start-up of his. Right now, Charizard's Neutral B is trying to be not Bowser's by the mechanics of the flame itself -- Aimable, further reaching, etc. -- but without any unique function to the move, it just falls flat and feels like an inferior attack in spite of the differences already in place.

:yoshi2:Yoshi: After careful consideration of changes to his moveset, I came to the conclusion that it is actually fine. However, a touch more aerial acceleration and stopping friction would do wonders for his recovery and on-stage harrasment with, particualarly, bair. His air speed is fine, but a little move weaving action would be beneficial.

:luigi:Zelda: Again, let Zelda air dodge out of Side B.

:pikachu2:Pikachu: Again, Smash 64's large, cancelable Fair.

:squirtle:Squirtle: I think it would be a safe move to let Neutral B deal damage at a distance. It already decays to 1% before much distance; having it deal damage with the non-flinch pushback would be perfectly adequate for move that sees such limited use anyway.

:ness2:Ness: Fix dash attack. Above all other changes Ness could want, this is, upon thought, the one that stands. The hits don't link together, the final hit stops having anything resembling combo capability after 60%, and the move is, besides terribly telegraphed, completely unsafe on HIT, let alone shield, mostly do to the non-linking hits, but also due to its susceptibility to CC'ing. Simna had a tendency to call the move "PK Shove" in Melee, due to its scaling knockback on the initial hits that got to a point that it just pushed the opponent off the stage horizontally, going past the second and third hits entirely. If this aspect was played up more, it could help the move find use in Ness's gameplay. That is to say, let the horizontal hits scale in knockback. They'll link into the final hit at lower percents as they should, but the function changes quickly as knockback scales and it becomes a move that quickly puts the opponent in a recovery spot.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Regarding that Ness buff you credited me for, thanks! It'd certainly help against Marth, who'd have to jump over the pillar or shield dodge through it, leaving him open for many of his useful aerials.

Still, at the time I made that post, The_NZA later replied to me and said that it wouldn't single-handedly solve all of his problems, especially against characters like Marth. IIRC he'd rather have more reach in lots of his moves. Since he's a pro Ness player and I'm not (I'm trying to main Lucas, as you can see), I think his opinion is more valid.

Dat Lucas nerf you suggest tho :( it's supposed to be a reward for successfully connecting with a move, why do you want it gone? It encouraged precision and getting good imo
You are welcome. And, while it wouldn't solve all of Ness's problems, it would still be a nice addition regardless. Just because it wouldn't solve all of his problems, doesn't mean it would be useless.

For Lucas, I feel as though Offense Up overly compensates Lucas whenever he successfully hits someone with it. Not only does it do absurd damage, but Lucas keeps the charge after hitting someone with it. I have since changed my suggestion to lower the damage of his Offense Up smashes + knockback compensation for the damage loss, instead of removing his ability to retain a charge after successfully hitting someone.

Edited a few of the things I wanted. And I made a new suggestion for Ganondorf:

Ganondorf - Light Armor during his dash attack, to help him with approaching against projectile characters. Additionally, I would also like Ganondorf to have the ability to hover.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Whoa. That's new. I'd be interesting in seeing this.
It also would make sense, too.

At the very least, I want to see this happen. Light Armor on Dash attack would be a very easy change to implement, and it would give Ganondorf an option to approach projectile spammers from the ground. Other things having armor would be nice, but not as necessary of a change as this one. Dash attack is quick, gains a fair amount of distance, and he tucks into a defensive tackle when using the move. Additionally, Dash Attack isn't a killing move, and it isn't incredibly hard to read or block, so there's barely any negative repercussions for giving it Light Armor.

There is also one other option that I am surprised people haven't given, yet. Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yh1g9B_eBY

Ganondorf can hover. Not only would this help aid his recovery, but it could also give him yet another tool to help him approach, as well as offering mixup potential for his aerials.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/Death5698/Super Smash Brothers Taunts/Ganondorf-Taunt-1.gif

Oh hey, he can hover in Brawl too...as a taunt, anyways. Though it could be built upon for his actual moveset.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Definitely however i doubt it will actually make it in the next build. One can dream though....

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
while hovering would be cool to see, what would it really do for gannondorf? i mean peach has it, mewtwo has his version's uses, what could it do for gannondorf that he couldn't do normally? keep in mind i'm not opposed, just asking.

R&B

Smash Apprentice
PastLink has a point, I cant think of a single attack that has low knockback on him.

Some things I am not adamant on changing but would be cool to see or get looked into by the devs.

Ice Climbers: Make them solo on default and buff Popo a bunch, make alternate costume Nana, I hate how ice climbers have only been good because they break the game in different ways.

Make sheik and Zelda separate. They split up Samus and Zss, even the pokemon, why not Sheik and Zelda.

I'm not stating to anyone here that this is how they should be or anything, I'm mostly curious to see how they would all play out.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
while hovering would be cool to see, what would it really do for gannondorf? i mean peach has it, mewtwo has his version's uses, what could it do for gannondorf that he couldn't do normally? keep in mind i'm not opposed, just asking.
It would make his recovery slightly less linear, for one. Additionally, it would give him the ability to approach his opponents more efficiently, which is something that he currently has trouble with. Lastly, it would give him more offensive pressure, making him much more of a force to be reckoned with.

And it isn't really a stretch of the imagination, either, as he does this both in Ocarina of Time, and even in Brawl (during his taunt). The only issue I see with it really is if other people would accept it, and how easy it would be to add.

R&B

Smash Apprentice
It would make his recovery slightly less linear, for one. Additionally, it would give him the ability to approach his opponents more efficiently, which is something that he currently has trouble with. Lastly, it would give him more offensive pressure, making him much more of a force to be reckoned with.

And it isn't really a stretch of the imagination, either, as he does this both in Ocarina of Time, and even in Brawl (during his taunt). The only issue I see with it really is if other people would accept it, and how easy it would be to add.
That is a good point, and it makes sense, but apparently the pm team is hoping to change the rosters overall recovery because so many of the roster get back easily.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Float-canceled bair/dair sounds absolutely terrifying, no thanks.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Granted, my suggestion is mostly for flavor rather than anything else. Honestly, I just want Light Armor on Dash Attack, and I would be happy.

Top Bottom