• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there's one thing you could change about melee, what would it be?

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
Build the 20XX hack pack in to the game and put in some more training options for tech skill.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Change automatic counters to not be so automatic so other characters have a chance to grow while not butchering the characters that counter them. So basically I want magic to be performed outside of reality that will never happen. :happysheep:

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I would give Fox and Falco more English dialogue, improve C. Falcon's raptor boost so it can be used as a recovery, give all characters a meteor that can be jumped out of with the correct timing, improve Roy's move set and add C-stick functionality to single player mode.

Signia

Smash Lord
Completely change how the ground game works.

Increase hit stun on attacks that don't launch them in the air. Tone down the effect of crouch cancelling. Options are so limited at 0% because light attacks can just get you punished on hit, and you're forced to hit and run unless you use grabs. This would also fix the ridiculousness of the ASDI-down or false crouch cancel, where you hold down during recovery and it decreases hit stun when you get punished because it causes you to not leave the ground.

Get rid of shield release lag but in increase shield stun slightly, the game's too centered around avoiding shield grabs.

fusionnoble

Smash Cadet
I was going to say it was absurd that no one has said online play, but then again, the feeling of tourneys and the development of the scene would have been so different, I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Lag-free online would be useful though.

and maybe some of the NTSC fox changes too :p

tauKhan

Smash Lord
give yoshi out of shield options, SD remix Samus up smash and basicaly buff all of Link's attacks :)
Don't know about that; I feel like pm yoshi's shield is a downgrade from melee. Having no shieldstun + shielddropping is ridiculously good.

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
Lowercase letters in tags/Longer Tags for one thing, but mainly add in the ability to toggle stage hazards on all stages with Hazards/ Add toggleable hazards to some stages without them.

Imagine a casual game on FD when suddenly Master Hand shows up ripping everyone a new one. Boom.

Djdkdjdkdjdk

Smash Rookie
Too many things to list, I would've added more cool things to make Melee harder. Make all characters (besides the 11) that need to moonwalk with an extra step, not need that and make moonwalking longer. That would make the game sweet, and give some characters a third jump, like maybe Roy (it would give him an edge over Marth) and give Roy and Marth the same sword, but make the entire sword a sweet spot (lol) and make all of Roy's sword attacks have fire effects and all of Marth's sword attacks have a stronger blackish/bluish hue/trail effect.

BaykersDzn

Smash Rookie
I would add another character that isnt in brawl. Like imagine if Rayman or Bomberman or Bowser Jr were in Melee. How different would things be lol

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
1 change? And one change only? Reduce ledge invincibility by ~6-10 frames. If that causes unforeseen consequences, instead reduce the double jump acceleration of the best ledgedashers, nerfing their intangibility.

Last edited:

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
Maybe it's not changing anything with the game itself; but I think I'd change the way people view both the use of the C-Stick, and playing with bots. I can only go by what I've read on the forums, but it seems some people think there's something wrong or bad about using the C-Stick... which, I just can not understand. In a game, one uses the right tool for the job, and the C-Stick is often right. In chess for instance, you move whatever piece you must to accomplish your goal, in the most effective manner possible. I've read claims from people that they never used the C-Stick for anything ever, which is fine in itself, but if that's only the case because of some stigma attached to it, then they're simply limiting themselves to satisfy the opinions of others.

As for playing with bots, sure there are never going to provide the same training experience as humans (on top of being responsible for the build up of potentially bad habits,) but they're a lot better than nothing, or better than simply not playing. As long as one thinks of the bots (regardless of level) in the same manner as a boxer would a punching bag, I firmly believe they can be a wonderfully useful training tool (which happens to be available 24/7, and never gets tired or bored.)

I'm aware that's two things and not just one... but, that's my two cents, as the saying goes :b:

Last edited:
Top Bottom