• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there's one thing you could change about melee, what would it be?

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
This should be an interesting thread. If I could change one thing, it would be the AI. A level 9 computer in melee does NOTHING but jab, powershield, and react like they're on a TAS. They work nothing like humans, and it makes it hard for me to practice with them lol. But now I wanna hear from you. What would you change?

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
AI, nuff said. Since you already said it though, I'll come up with one other one.........hmmm....... This is hard.

I would probably make Pichu the best character. Heal himself with ever thunder move he performs, faster than Sonic, impossible to DI moves, etc...... He still wouldn't beat Metaknight though ;)

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Make the effect of l canceling automatic
That would actually take some of the fun out of melee. Part of the fun is mastering l cancelling...I remember practicing pillaring over and over with falco and feeling accomplished once I got it down somewhat consistently. It was a great feeling.
Also, another fun thing about l cancelling is punishing your opponents' missed l cancel. It's pretty satisfying reacting to someone's missed l cancel and punishing according.

Long story short, I couldn't imagine melee with automatic l cancel!

That would actually take some of the fun out of melee. Part of the fun is mastering l cancelling...I remember practicing pillaring over and over with falco and feeling accomplished once I got it down somewhat consistently. It was a great feeling.
Also, another fun thing about l cancelling is punishing your opponents' missed l cancel. It's pretty satisfying reacting to someone's missed l cancel and punishing according.

Long story short, I couldn't imagine melee with automatic l cancel!
It would remove the punishment of approaching out of the game for casuals and tournament entry level players. It's an unnecessary barrier since it should always be done no matter what. It's never a good choice to not l cancel. Working hard for a reward feels good, but objectively not having to work for it is better. You're spending extra time and effort that could have been spent on something better, or even saved

You must not have a good imagination then. At mid level tournament play and above, l cancels are rarely ever missed. Not much on screen would change with it automatic

I wish crouch canceling wasn't as big of a thing as it is. I feel like it just doesnt make sense a lot of times...
It opens up opportunities to trade hits. More options = more strategy

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
1. Be able to use the C-stick in one player mode, ESPECIALLY training.
2. Make Sheik's auto combos a little bit harder to perform
3. Make Kirby's Down-B scale with fall speed and be as strong as rest at max speed
4. Make Fox's forward air the knee (just kidding)
5. Make falcon punch slightly faster
6. Make more tournament-acceptable stages

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
hm
I would want Roy to have a more unique moveset

A= Quick slash
B= Chargable Eruption blade (kinda like when marth uses his B in brawl but with more range)
F-Tilt= A directional stab
UP-Tilt= A slash that when it connects it makes the user jump high
Down-tilt= fire swipe
Nair= Circle of flame like kirbys nair except with better animation and range
Dair= A beam of fire like the size of robs laser followed by a smash
Fair= a quick slash in mid air
Bair = Backwards quick slash
Uair=A kick like falcons
Side smash : melee
Down Smash= a full around swipe like his nair from melee but low on the ground
Down B= A launch dash attack
Dash attack- short range two slashs
B-over=A slash that emits a weak flare (Chargable)
B-UP= Project M
B-Down= Body charge basically its a clock the longer you hold it the brighter the flare around roy he gets faster and can attack faster

Agree with me?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
The only change that I'd really want to make in Melee is to make it not lag on HD monitors, but that's really the fault of the cube/Wii. Also, a functional simple to use solid online mode would be godlike. Oh and don't make Roy suck.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Airdodging to the ledge should result in a grab instead of a suicide.

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
Make all characters viable at the highest level of play. More tricks and advanced techniques for all characters.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Link jumpsquat reduced to 3 or 4 if I am just looking to make my own character better without breaking anything.

Otherwise it would probably be something like "advanced options for single player" where you could turn what items you want on/off and you could enable the C-stick or something.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Change Green Greens to Milun's fix.
It would replace PS if you didn't need hacks to access it.
I have the Green Greens hack on my disc, but it's mostly only used for friendlies since I'm the only one who has the stage available to them.

And no leave PS alone pls fox master race.

jalued

Smash Lord
The one thing that melee needs is unison.

I want Nintendo to release a version of melee that includes the best character design from PAL and NTSC so that everyone can play the same game:

Fox would have PAL upsmash and recovery
Marth would be NTSC
Sheik would have PAL dthrow but NTSC upair
Falco would be NTSC
Falcon could have PAL gentleman
Ganon would be reverted back to his NTSC gloryt

This is all that I want: the community has proven that it doesn't need good AI, online play or more than 8 viable characters to flourish. It would just be nice if EU players could travel to the states (and vice versa) without having to relearn metagames

edit: cstick in training mode wouldn't hurt

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Now that I've thought about this more, I'm gonna have to go with one of the following:

A) Give the ICs marths sword instead of their hammers.
B) Give Falcon Link's bombs
-or-
C) Give DK falcon's moonwalk (and moonwalk speed).

Zone

Smash Champion
It's never a good choice to not l cancel.
I introduce Peach's Float to you.

anyways trolling aside.

My one change would be to make useless moves useful.

If it's a game mechanic.

NOTHING, only add!

Last edited:

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
It would remove the punishment of approaching out of the game for casuals and tournament entry level players. It's an unnecessary barrier since it should always be done no matter what. It's never a good choice to not l cancel. Working hard for a reward feels good, but objectively not having to work for it is better. You're spending extra time and effort that could have been spent on something better, or even saved

You must not have a good imagination then. At mid level tournament play and above, l cancels are rarely ever missed. Not much on screen would change with it automatic
What makes melee so much better than brawl is the technical aspect of it. It makes the game harder to learn, harder to master, and the learning curve that much greater. Start taking out things out of melee such as making L-cancelling automatic is one step closer to making it into brawl. We don't want that, now do we?

Saying that it is an unnecssary barrier is silly. It is what makes melee, well, melee. While we are at it, let's designate the z button as automatic perfect wavedashes. Oh, and let's have the game automatically have people tech edgeguards if they are close enough to the edge.

What makes melee so much better than brawl is the technical aspect of it. It makes the game harder to learn, harder to master, and the learning curve that much greater. Start taking out things out of melee such as making L-cancelling automatic is one step closer to making it into brawl. We don't want that, now do we?

Saying that it is an unnecssary barrier is silly. It is what makes melee, well, melee. While we are at it, let's designate the z button as automatic perfect wavedashes. Oh, and let's have the game automatically have people tech edgeguards if they are close enough to the edge.
Taking out l canceling is also a step more similar to making it like other fighting games. They have 0 - almost no landing lag on their normal aerials

Also, why do games have to be technical? It's psychologically better to work for things that have higher rewards per work. Subjects care about it more like that

Wavedashes can have variable lengths. Giving it 1 set distance would limit options in the game. Always going the farthest distance can cause you to wavedash passed a character, like Fox waveshining Peach. Also, z is used for aerials, zairs, and grabs

Automatic edge guard teching would require the opponent to even hit the stage while being edge guarded

Wait a minute, is this a fallacy? I think I've responded to a slippery slope fallacy

Zone

Smash Champion
Taking out l canceling is also a step more similar to making it like other fighting games. They have 0 - almost no landing lag on their normal aerials

Also, why do games have to be technical? It's psychologically better to work for things that have higher rewards per work. Subjects care about it more like that

Wavedashes can have variable lengths. Giving it 1 set distance would limit options in the game. Always going the farthest distance can cause you to wavedash passed a character, like Fox waveshining Peach. Also, z is used for aerials, zairs, and grabs

Automatic edge guard teching would require the opponent to even hit the stage while being edge guarded

Wait a minute, is this a fallacy? I think I've responded to a slippery slope fallacy

I agree hitting L or R to l-cancel is kind of pointless. It's just hard to be hard. Things should be hard if you're wanting to cancel a move into another move. like Kabal's Nomad dashes. It has utility whether you cancel it or not. So it becomes technical because of options.

I prefer that.

I don't agree with edge teching automatically, that is definitely a skill check that is manipulated by the attacker. If you sweet spot? good job you made it easier to edge tech if they hit you because they MUST hit you at a specified time. If you're even slightly off they can hit you later or early, thus making you hit your edge tech as a mix up.

But recovering is a spacing check. check your ability to judge distance consistently. while edge teching checks your ability to read attack timings while before forced to ride a wall at a specific angle to do so.

l -cancel is not comparable to edge teching IMO. Plenty of times I've been tricked in teams for thinking I should edge tech something and air-dodge to my death because a stray laser hit me or something. That's my fault for not paying attention to everything. Also a minor awareness check in place.

hitting L-cancel depends ENTIRELY on yourself. Maybe a small bit of shield size could mess up timings, if you're on auto-pilot. But for the most part that's only your own fault.

D

Deleted member

I would change around some characters.
I would remove Dr. Mario for Wario, Young Link for Pit, and Pichu for Meta Knight (all with original movesets). Oh, and Ganondorf would be given an original moveset.
Outside of characters, I would bring back Hyrule Castle 64... I was disappointed when it didn't return.

afistfulofwasabi

Smash Rookie
I would love to see some kind of improvement to DK when it comes to dealing with projectile pressure tbh.

Encephalon Decay

Smash Cadet
I would remove wobbling.

I'm not saying ban it, but I feel that it limits the growth of budding IC players. Why should they bother learning the fun (at least, fun to me), technical stuff they can do with their throws when they can just do that?

Any learning IC player who reads this: Save Wobbling for the last thing you learn. Your experience will be more enjoyable and you'll grow to be a better player if you learn everything else first.

/EndMinorRant

Top Bottom