• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If The ESRB Rating For Smash 4 Was M, What New Things Should They Add?

What Should The ESRB Rating Be?

• E

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • E 10+

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
I would love them to add more realistic weapons, blood, damaged armor, cussing, and more mature characters, that would lose a lot of fans, but gain many. I would still play smash, just not as much.

Sorry the poll was supposed to have more options, sorry bout that, not need to answer. :c

Last edited by a moderator:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Bayonetta at most.
Anything more racy would detract from the game.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Pretty much a golden rule that for Smash, almost anything that could warrant an M rating would be unnecessary and/or not fitting.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
They could add characters from Rated M titles into Smash and still make it T. I.e Snake

They did it with PS All Stars(Raiden, Dante, Sweet Tooth, Radec etc)

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Wouldn't an M rated game go against everything Nintendo does? Family friendly gaming company since...forever.

If it was M rated it would probably have the added gore, which has already been mentioned, along with ZSS having more pronounced features.

So...Mortal Kombat, basically.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Why isn't T an option? Considering that both melee and brawl were rated that, it's the safe bet =.=

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Thank goodness Smash won't ever be rated M... M rated fighting games always have way too much fanservice, and we already see how many people freak out over ZSS.

And Rosalina

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Wouldn't an M rated game go against everything Nintendo does? Family friendly gaming company since...forever..
I dunno, man. Fire Emblem is a Nintendo-exclusive series and it deals with death in most if not all games in the series. In the 4th entry, there's even **** and implied incest too. Awakening (which is more than likely the most popular game in the series) is rated M.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I dunno, man. Fire Emblem is a Nintendo-exclusive series and it deals with death in most if not all games in the series. In the 4th entry, there's even **** and implied incest too. Awakening (which is more than likely the most popular game in the series) is rated M.
Awakening is rated T, not M.

Yeah, it has lots of death, but I don't remember there being excessive gore, and by excessive, I mean Mortal Kombat esque guts flying and characters getting ripped apart. That's not Nintendo.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Awakening is rated T, not M.

Yeah, it has lots of death, but I don't remember there being excessive gore, and by excessive, I mean Mortal Kombat esque guts flying and characters getting ripped apart. That's not Nintendo.
Oh sorry, I was going off of the Australian classifications. I'm guessing that T is the equivalent of our M, then. So that would make the ESRB's M even higher... I'm such an idiot.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Wouldn't an M rated game go against everything Nintendo does? Family friendly gaming company since...forever.

If it was M rated it would probably have the added gore, which has already been mentioned, along with ZSS having more pronounced features.

So...Mortal Kombat, basically.
Well, it's not the first time Nintendo has published a M-rated title. Off the top of my head, there's Eternal Darkness, Geist, and now Bayonetta 2.

Anyway, I thought this was kind of a joke thread. I mean, those are some unrealistic stuff you got there, OP. For a game like Smash Bros., they're unnecessary, except maybe damaged armour, I guess.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Smash bros series being rated T is pinned forever

(Especially because in the greninja trailer i believe we have a UK rated game they said pegi 12)

But if there was M rated baynetta would have a chance (besides from wonderful 101)

Do i need to talk about zero suit samus

And lets just say the mortal combat mechanic would probably get added if smash bros is rated M

I can see blood

I can see nudity

I can hear bad words

Last edited:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Pretty much 200% sure the new Smash Bros is gonna be Rated T. Like it has been since 2001

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
The game would basically be like the Newground parodies.

"I fight for my friends and crack cocaine." "Show me your boobs." type nonsense.

Very unnecessary though possibly humorous. At most, I'd like the crowd to say occasional swear words. Though Smash will never be rated M (obviously), but it doesn't need to be.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I would fear for the character designs of Zelda, Peach, Wii fit trainer, Rosalina, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus... Zero Suit Samus is bad enough already...

I'd like for Krystal to be a character as it is. She'd be in for sure if it were rated M... Oh gosh.... :facepalm:

Also characters with no pants...... need to get some quick....:facepalm:

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Unless you want the game to become a gorefest, full of unnecesary swearing (seriously, not even Snake swears all that much in his games) or be filled with a heck of a lot of fanservice, I don't think you should be advocating an M rating.

Considering the type of game this is, and what character it's using, that would be a terrible idea. They'd have to really enforce those things and throw them in your face for them to reach the M rating, and at that point, it'd be an M rating just for the sake of an M rating, which is simply pointless.

Heck, you don't even need M to have a little bit of blood, Monster Hunter comes to mind, each time you hit a monster, there's a gigantic explosion of blood instead of the typical sparks, and it still has a T rating. Games only really gets rated M when there's extreme explicit violence and stuff like that. I mean really, there's a lot of stuff you can do within a T rating, just look at the Arkham Batman games, or Fire Emblem like other people mentioned already.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I want jiggle physics...

...on Wario's ass cheeks.

[collapse= His hips don't lie]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

eenertv

Smash Rookie
The game shouldn't be a gorefest and an M rating may turn potential young customers away, so I wouldn't want it. But if there was I would say blood.

Last edited:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
I know one thing. The sells would be god awful

While Smash is T, it doesn't show anything flat out bad. It is inn a tier I call "Low T".
ex-

Low T: Smash Bros series, Earthbound(Wii U VC), PS All Stars

Mid T: Tekken, SF, Disgaea, KOF

High T: Blazblue, Bat man Arkham

Low M: Dead or Alive

High M: No More Heroes, Ninja Gaiden, MGS, DmC, Mortal Kombat

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

While Smash is T, it doesn't show anything flat out bad. It is inn a tier I call "Low T".
ex-

Low T: Smash Bros series, Earthbound(Wii U VC)

Oh my God! Earthbound is rated T?! Why? Wasn't it marketed to young boys when it came out on the snes?

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master

ex-

Low T: Smash Bros series, Earthbound(Wii U VC), PS All Stars

Wouldn't say Dead or Alive is low M, the ESRB has more concern over sexual content than violence it seems. I'd switch it with MGS (prior to Ground Zeroes) or DmC

R0Y

Smash Master
Oh my God! Earthbound is rated T?! Why? Wasn't it marketed to young boys when it came out on the snes?
It was rated K-A, the ESRB's equivalent to an E Rating in 1995. They re-rated it for Wii U Virtual Console release and decided it warranted a T on closer inspection.

This was given an E way back when.

EDIT: Woops, SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!!

Last edited:

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
Takeshi's Challenge is an NES game where some of the first few things you are required to do to advance is quit your job and divorce/murder your wife. Not exactly gory, but Nintendo's made some less family-friendly titles in the past...

But no, I don't think anything raising this to M would be worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom