• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If SSB4 only had room for 2 more Swordsmen

If SSB4 only had room for 2 more Swordsmen who would take the spot?

• Shulk and Takamaru

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Shulk and Chrom

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Shulk and Isaac

Votes: 44 37.0%
  • Isaac and Chrom

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Isaac and Takamaru

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Chrom and Takamaru

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Isaac and Takamaru.

Isaac would have basic sword attacks, but his specials consisting of Psyenergy is where he'll truly feel unique.
He also has Djinns, AND Summons. So Isaac has a LOT going for him

Takamaru having samurai-style swordsmanship already makes him unique. Especially if he'll be a "battou" user. (Draws sword quickly from sheathe, and puts it away again, as opposed to characters such as Link and Marth who keep their swords out).
Takamaru's strength also lies in his projectiles. Knives, shuriken, flaming shuriken, 4-way shuriken. And other tricks uncommon to the samurai such as cloaking mantles.

Any other sword user will probably just be limited to using swords. I can't quite speak for Shulk, but another FE Lord can't make me happy in any way or form.
I agree with your assessment, but I'm just going to share a tiny bit about Shulk because I've seen few responses saying they don't know much about his abilities. His sword, the Monado, isn't the typical fantasy sword we've seen in Smash so far. It's much more Sci-Fi in appearance (it's a frickin' laser sword) and it has the ability to manipulate "ether" (the building blocks of his universe, basically magic) in order to produce a variety of effects. These include ranged attacks, poison attacks, large area of effect explosions and a variety of "buffs" and "debuffs."

Here is the cut scene where Shulk learns the ability "Monado Shield": (Very minor spoiler, you basically just see a very early game boss)

And here is the scene where he learns "Monado Speed": (Same sort of early game spoilers, slightly more spoilerish)

These are obviously very basic abilities, but I think it gives you a bit more of an idea. Don't want to show anything further in the game as I wouldn't want to ruin it for people.

I do think Takamaru and Isaac are great choices as well, though.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I agree with your assessment, but I'm just going to share a tiny bit about Shulk because I've seen few responses saying they don't know much about his abilities. His sword, the Monado, isn't the typical fantasy sword we've seen in Smash so far. It's much more Sci-Fi in appearance (it's a frickin' laser sword) and it has the ability to manipulate "ether" (the building blocks of his universe, basically magic) in order to produce a variety of effects. These include ranged attacks, poison attacks, large area of effect explosions and a variety of "buffs" and "debuffs."

Here is the cut scene where Shulk learns the ability "Monado Shield": (Very minor spoiler, you basically just see a very early game boss)

And here is the scene where he learns "Monado Speed": (Same sort of early game spoilers, slightly more spoilerish)

These are obviously very basic abilities, but I think it gives you a bit more of an idea. Don't want to show anything further in the game as I wouldn't want to ruin it for people.

I do think Takamaru and Isaac are great choices as well, though.
Ah, thanks for the spoiler-free info. :)
I'm planning on playing Xenoblade soon so then I'll be able to see the extent of his abilities.

The character looks awesome, and I would by no means complain if he gets in. I hear the music from his game is absolutely brilliant, so SSB4 can only benefit from Shulk's inclusion.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I picked Shulk and Chrom. I am in love with Shulk's character and i'm only partway through Xenoblade and I think Chrom's character is the best of any lord in Fire Emblem thus far: the hardships he overcame i thought were greater than anyone else and i felt as though he showed great character development. If i had another vote, i would give it to Isaac in a heart-beat, but i love these characters and would love to see them in smash.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'm just hoping that if we are getting Chrom/Lucina because Awakening rep. Sakurai can pull yet another original and fresh swordsman moveset.
At least Isaac doesn´t have that problem with all his magic and psynergy attacks (giant hands etc). And I'm a bit ignorant on Shulk capabilites like most of us. As for Takamaru, I think samurai fight style can make him play different enough from the fencer Marth or the heavy 2-handed sword Ike.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
regarding chrome I have mixed views, first I loved FE awekening, so I would greatly enjoy a rep from that game, and i liked a lot its protagonist, but between Robin, Lucina and Chrom, I liked Chrom the least.

Now, Chrom have actually a lot of potential to be a quite unique character different from Marth and Ike if done right, but im just afraid that FE will have only 2 reps, and chrom will replace Ike and kinda take it moveset, in which case it would be dull.

How Chrom could feel totally different than Marth you ask? there is a certain aspect of Chrom design that if exploited could lend to an unique moveset, and it is the fact that he have a shield. as it first class, Chrom armor is just in one of its shoulder, and while reckon that that is the more iconic Chrom design, it wouldn't be outrageous to take elements from when he turns into a great lord and adapt them to its main design.

Chrom Great Lord design (and a little FEA spoiler)
And considering it shield is the Friggin FIRE EMBLEM, its not just a trivial design choice.

Its true that link also uses sword and shield, but links moveset is more oriented to its trinkets and he hardly uses actively the shield, we are talking here of Chrom using the shield on its actual moves.

I don't know much of shulk, but X looks like an interesting game and he have the potential to be very fresh, and takamaru also have a good potential moveset (although it could overlap a little with metaknight, at least how i imagine it).

I guess that my vote would be Robin and Isaac if it where the option, but it would be nice seeing any of those characters.

andimidna

Smash Master
I definitely would vote for Ghirahim, and I think @ andimidna andimidna would second this as well. For my the second....I don't really mind. Isaac, Shulk, and Chrom all have their own positives.
Yep I would. And I made a long post explaining Ghirahim (last night), and why I voted for Isaac and Shulk, but Crashboards didn't let me post it. And.... now it's gone.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think Shulk is the no brainer since his game is new and sold very well. Chrom isn't really necesary. Isaac would be a good choice, but I feel like he missed his chance in SSBB. So I gave it to Takamaru.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
shulk and takamaru,
shulk- I feel monolith neeeds representation because they have a big game coming out for wii u and xenoblade was one of the best games, if not the best, on the wii.
takamaru - I don't think there is a samurai character in smash and takamaru would fill that gap pretty well.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I picked Shulk and Isaac because they would both bring unique fighting styles, and are both from unrepresented series in smash. They would also not use their swords as often as swordsmen like marth and link since Shulk can use his arts and Issac has his psy stuff. I would still love to have chrom and takamaru though.

I don't see why some people think we have too many sword users. In brawl we had five and a half (half because pit doesn't really use a sword, but his bow does resemble a sword at times). But all of them, except link and his clone toon link, brought unique play styles so it didn't really matter that they all used swords.

I guess you could say kirby is a sword user too lol.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I picked Shulk and Isaac because they would both bring unique fighting styles, and are both from unrepresented series in smash. They would also not use their swords as often as swordsmen like marth and link since Shulk can use his arts and Issac has his psy stuff. I would still love to have chrom and takamaru though.

I don't see why some people think we have too many sword users. In brawl we had five and a half (half because pit doesn't really use a sword, but his bow does resemble a sword at times). But all of them, except link and his clone toon link, brought unique play styles so it didn't really matter that they all used swords.

I guess you could say kirby is a sword user too lol.
I personally don't think we have too many sword users, I am just more curious of the public opinion. That is why I presented the question the way it is.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you didn't vote for Shulk, you're doing it wrong

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sora and Cloud Strife :troll:

Takamaru and Shulk or Isaac I guess.
You know, Part of the reason I want Isaac and Shulk is that it would scratch that JRPG itch I have. We'll never get Sora or Cloud.... but Isaac and Shulk fill the same sort of need.

I'm also happy with the fact that Isaac and Shulk are the leading pair as some people see a rivalry between the two support camps when there really shouldn't be one. Gameplay wise the two would be nothing alike, obviously, but they also visually come from very different sorts of JRPGs. Isaac has more of a traditional high fantasy sort of look while Shulk has more of that sci-fi anime influence that characters from games like Star Ocean or Final Fantasy 10 might have. They really fill two very different niches.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Fist Fighters (and/or Kicking):
-Mario
-Luigi
-DK
-Ganondorf
-Captain Falcon
-Fox
-Falco
-Lucario
-Little Mac

Outer Space Characters:
-Samus
-ZSS
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Captain Falcon
-Rosalina
-Kirby?/Meta-Knight?/Dedede?

Animal-based Characters:
-Bowser
-DK
-Diddy
-Yoshi
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur?/Charizard?

My point is this. Here are all of the swordsmen in Brawl:

Swordsmen:
-Link
-Toon Link
-Marth
-Ike

So, why does there have to be so few swordsmen? Why can there only be room for 2 more? Why not 3, or 4?

EDIT: I forgot Meta-Knight.
THIS.

I'd like all the swordsmen you mentioned, but Chrom and Shulk are my preferences.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it would be better to compare swords to other weapons such as guns, bombs, etc. Everyone has hands and feet to punch and kick with.

We need more yoyo users. :V (But not necesarily japanese exclusives)

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
It makes me happy, but ironic that the two swordsmen winning are always being antagonized by each other's fanbases and "compared".

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Yep I would. And I made a long post explaining Ghirahim (last night), and why I voted for Isaac and Shulk, but Crashboards didn't let me post it. And.... now it's gone.
Honestly if anybody looks at the RTC thread or the support thread they'll figure out why he's awesome, sucks about the deleted post though.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
My point is this. Here are all of the swordsmen in Brawl:

Swordsmen:
-Link
-Toon Link
-Marth
-Ike

So, why does there have to be so few swordsmen? Why can there only be room for 2 more? Why not 3, or 4?

EDIT: I forgot Meta-Knight.
Fixed, below (for SSBB)

All Attacks
Mario: fist, foot, fire, water
Luigi: fist, foot, fire
Peach: fist, foot, item
Bowser: claw, shell, fire
Yoshi: foot, tail, egg
Wario: fist, foot, head, fart
DK: fist, foot, head
Diddy: fist, foot. tail
Link: sword, bow, boomerang, explosive
Toon: sword, bow, boomerang, explosive
Zelda: magic, fire, electric
Sheik: fist, foot, needle, chain
Ganondorf: fist, foot
Samus: fist, foot, laser, explosive
Pit: sword, bow
Icey: hammers, ice
R.O.B.: fist, fire, laser
Kirby: fist, foot, hammer, sword
Meta Knight: foot, wing, sword
3DeDe: foot, hammer, waddle
Lolimar: foot, pikmin
Fox: foot, fire, laser
Falco: foot, wing, fire, laser
Wolf: foot, claw, laser
Cpt. Falcon: fist, foot, fire, electric
Pikachu: foot, head, tail, electric
Charizard: claw, tail, head, wing, fire
Ivy: head, vine, grass
Squirts: foot, shell, tail, water
Lucario: fist, foot, aura
Jiggs: fist, foot. spin
Marth: sword
Ike: sword. fire
Ness: fist, foot, head, fire, electric, item
Lucas: foot, head, fire, ice, electric, item
G&W: item
Snake: fist, foot, explosive
Sonic: fist, foot, spin

Wow that was a lot of typing. Ok results below.

Fist: 17

Foot: 26

Head: 6

Tail: 5

Claw: 3

Shell: 2

Wing: 3

Spin: 2

Fart: 1

Item: 4

Sword: 7

Hammer: 3

Bow: 3

Boomerang: 2

Chain: 1

Needle: 1

Explosive: 4

Laser: 5

Egg: 1

Fire: 11

Water: 2

Ice: 2

Electric: 5

Grass: 1

Vine: 1

Magic: 1

Aura: 1

Highest are
1) Foot
2) Fist
3) Fire
4) Sword
5) Head

A Moves
Mario: body
Luigi: body
Peach: body
Bowser: claw
Yoshi: body
Wario: body
DK: body
Diddy: body
Link: sword
Toon: sword
Zelda: magic
Sheik: body
Ganondorf: body
Samus: body
Pit: sword
Icey: hammer
R.O.B.: body
Kirby: body
Meta Knight: sword
3DeDe: hammer
Lolimar: pikmin
Fox: body
Falco: body
Wolf: claw
Cpt. Falcon: body
Pikachu: electric
Charizard: claw
Ivy: vine
Squirts: body
Lucario: aura
Jiggs: body
Marth: sword
Ike: sword
Ness: body
Lucas: body
G&W: item
Snake: explosive
Sonic: body

Body: 20

Claw: 3

Sword: 6

Explosive: 1

Magic: 1

Hammer: 2

Electric: 1

Pikmin: 1

Vine: 1

I'd say if anything we just need more obscure attacks. The most important thing is that we need them to be the main offense of the character. You can say stuff like Kirby has a sword, or Samus has explosives, but they don't really use them much. There aren't that many sword wielders compared to fist/foot/head users, but still in terms of weapons, there really should be more diverse options.

A character that mains a chain, not just uses one would be nice, a blunt weapon could be cool, idk anything really.

I just don't think that we should limit ourselves on "sword users" that being said we shouldn't really have more than 10 character that primarily use a sword. It's a fine number as long as their all unique.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm thinking that if we get two more swordsmen, it would be Shulk and Chrom.

Shulk: He hails from a brand new series by Monolith Soft that Nintendo seems to be pushing. He isn't like other swordsmen since he has his Abilities of his own and Abilities from his sword, the Monado, to separate himself from the rest of the cast. Not to mention that he also has a large amount of fan demand. I say that if we get another unrepresented series character, it would most likely be Shulk from Xenoblade.

Chrom: He lacks one major thing, uniqueness. While he lacks this, I say that he has a lot of merits that will push him in. Awakening was very successful in that it saved the franchise; being one of the main protagonists is a pretty big deal. He also has a notable fanbase among the casual crowd that could help push him in Smash. At this point, I expect him to get into Smash since he has a lot of merits.

A third swordsman would probably be Takamaru. If we had to get two, I'm predicting Shulk and Chrom.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This thread is driving me crazy. Gonna go with Isaac due to his unique moveset with PSI energy (something we haven't seen in a swordsman yet) and Takamaru for the katana, being a Samurai, and retro character

There, I said it. Happy?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm hoping for 3+ swordsmen myself, but if we got 2 I'm hoping for Isaac and Chrom.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Isaac and Shulk are the most reasonable, plus Chrom and Takamaru aren't really that different from anyone else we've gotten. Takamaru may wield a sword or throw shuriken stars, and Chrom my have a shield, but that's it. They ain't got nothing on Isaac's powers or the Monado.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Isaac and Shulk are the most reasonable, plus Chrom and Takamaru aren't really that different from anyone else we've gotten. Takamaru may wield a sword or throw shuriken stars, and Chrom my have a shield, but that's it. They ain't got nothing on Isaac's powers or the Monado.
Eh...wouldn't say that. I admit, Isaac would be the most unique swordsmen we could get in this game, he just has way too many abilities. But I wouldn't write Takamaru off as just a guy who throws shuriken stars. He could easily be a really unique and fun character. For one thing, going by the original game, Takamaru doesn't fight with his katana unsheathed all the time. He would probably slash and sheath, something no other sword user does. Think Hibiki from Last Blade 2. This could lead to a lot of fancy looking moves, and his attacks would be pretty hard to read. Also he wouldn't focus on katana combat, again going by the original game, he mostly fights by throwing things. Throwing knives, balls of fire, windmill swords, and in Nintendo Land, shuriken stars and clay bombs. He also can deflect projectiles with ease just by slashing at it, whether that would mean deflecting them back at you or just hitting them into the air somewhere, I don't know. He has the ability to turn invisible for a short amount of time, but I'm not sure if they would add this in Smash. Could be fun though, I don't know. His final smash would be Inazuma Lightning, a very powerful move that cleared the whole screen in his original game. I figure it would appear as a lightning storm in Smash. Basically, he would be a slash, sheath, run, throw character. ...Not sure if this was the place to write all of this, if not, sorry. Won't happen again.

Oh, and I'd pick Takamaru and Isaac as the two swordsmen.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Don't worry about your long paragraph it's fine. It's good to do that once in a while, in my opinion.

Really, anyone could be a unique fighter, its just that since anyone could be made into a unique fighter, then why not take an already unique character and make him even more unique? Reasoning, man.

Yeah, Takamaru has all those abilities and probably has more merit than Shulk does to be in Smash, and he has starred in more games. Yeah I just really want Shulk, but I'd be okay with Takamaru, now that you've listed some of his abilities. But for me, first choice is Isaac and Shulk, baby!

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm guessing Chrom or someone else from Fire Emblem, but of the choices listed I don't really expect any of the other ones to make it in. Though nothing would surprise me at this point.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I voted Shulk and Isaac, but if Robin were an option, and we were counting him/her as a swordsman/woman, I'd have voted Shulk and Robin.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I voted Isaac and Chrom, even though the other two would also be great additions in their own right. @MorbidAltruism's reasoning is good enough as it is and I'll provide alternative reasoning. Isaac because we need another ascended Assist Trophy up there with Little Mac, his moveset potential, and his franchise feels long deserved for a rep. Chrom because of Awakening, his moveset potential, and the potential to bring more weapon attacks outside of his Falchion. Seriously, this pair could use more support.

Hmmm. I'm conflicted with the idea of Isaac and Robin, despite not being on the poll. On one hand, you could argue that they are both magic-using sword-wielding blondies. On the other hand, letting in two magic swordsmen with different variances in combat (how swordsmen are already done) would be the same predicament with letting two orthodox swordsmen in.

Also, no Anna WTF?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
More like Roy as a costume of Marth
People are taking this whole alt costume thing way too far.
WFT and Villager are the same character regardless of gender or appearance, similar to mii because they're generic.

boy villager and female villager isn't equivalent to fox and falco or marth and roy.
-_-' They're separate characters with separate identities and move sets, even if they're semi-clone.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Shulk and Takamaru for me. **** Chrom and would rather have Robin over him in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom