• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If SSB4 only had room for 2 more Swordsmen

If SSB4 only had room for 2 more Swordsmen who would take the spot?

• Shulk and Takamaru

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Shulk and Chrom

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Shulk and Isaac

Votes: 44 37.0%
  • Isaac and Chrom

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Isaac and Takamaru

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Chrom and Takamaru

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Who would you want to take those two spots?

Note: Ike is confirmed in this scenario, this only applies to newcomers.

Edit: All swordsmen prior to SSB4 are confirmed. This only applies to newcomers.

Edit, Edit: I meant to put Ghirahim on this list. If only I could edit the Poll to add him.

Edit, Edit, Edit: This poll mainly contributes to Nintendo's first party characters (only because I forgot to add third party swordsmen).

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Isaac and Shulk. If the emerging important factor for characters is "what can a character add to a roster" these two win in that regard.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Isaac and Chrom.
Haven't gotten around to playing Xenoblade yet (though people tell me it's really good; just kind of hesitating because of the combat style), so I'm picking the two I'm familiar with.
I hear that Shulk has lots of skills in his game which could help with his moveset, but still.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Fist Fighters (and/or Kicking):
-Mario
-Luigi
-DK
-Ganondorf
-Captain Falcon
-Fox
-Falco
-Lucario
-Little Mac

Outer Space Characters:
-Samus
-ZSS
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Captain Falcon
-Rosalina
-Kirby?/Meta-Knight?/Dedede?

Animal-based Characters:
-Bowser
-DK
-Diddy
-Yoshi
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur?/Charizard?

My point is this. Here are all of the swordsmen in Brawl:

Swordsmen:
-Link
-Toon Link
-Marth
-Ike

So, why does there have to be so few swordsmen? Why can there only be room for 2 more? Why not 3, or 4?

EDIT: I forgot Meta-Knight.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
-Mario
-Luigi
-DK
-Ganondorf
-Captain Falcon
-Fox
-Falco
-Lucario
-Little Mac

Outer Space Characters:
-Samus
-ZSS
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Captain Falcon
-Rosalina

Animal-based Characters:
-Bowser
-DK
-Diddy
-Yoshi
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur?/Charizard?

Swordsmen:
-Link
-Toon Link
-Marth
-Ike

So, why does there have to be so few swordsmen? Why can there only be room for 2 more? Why not 3, or 4?
I thought that Meta Knight was a swordsman.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
-Mario
-Luigi
-DK
-Ganondorf
-Captain Falcon
-Fox
-Falco
-Lucario
-Little Mac

Outer Space Characters:
-Samus
-ZSS
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Captain Falcon
-Rosalina

Animal-based Characters:
-Bowser
-DK
-Diddy
-Yoshi
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur?/Charizard?

Swordsmen:
-Link
-Toon Link
-Marth
-Ike

EDIT: I forgot Meta-Knight.
I am just curious who would people pick if the choices were extremely limited; plus, these swordsmen seem the most likely to me to be in the game.

And I forgot Lucina as an option....*facepalms self*.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I thought that Pit was a swordmen too, albeit not as much as the others.

And many fans group Chrom and Lucina together anyways.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I thought that Pit was a swordmen too, albeit not as much as the others.
I always thought of Pit as using the two halves of his bow, but I suppose they are swords (I think?) even though they're the size of large knives.

Still, even if he's not a "swordsman", he is using sword-like weapons.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Or how about that guy from Scribblenauts that summons objects by writing their names? He would be a sWORDsman.

What have i done oh my god what is my life
Boo, you made a bad pun. /joking

I think that would be possible, however, this mainly relates to Nintendo's first party characters. (I think I should have clarified that in the OP)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Isaac and Shulk. No way I would want Chrom if we already had Ike.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
I definitely would vote for Ghirahim, and I think @andimidna would second this as well. For my the second....I don't really mind. Isaac, Shulk, and Chrom all have their own positives.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I voted Takamaru and Issac. I'm told that, as a swordsman, Shulk is pretty unique but I know virtually nothing about the character. All three have enough unique properties to make them interesting fighters. Takamaru would probably be a mix of Link, Sheik, and Metaknight (which makes me giddy just thinking about it) and Issac probably has the most creative potential of any of the popular newcomers still left. A magic sword user would be a really nice addition, especially if they threw in some of the hand psynergy moves for grabs and throws.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shulk and Isaac. The first has amazing potential at unique mechanics and the second has potential for an amazing lyfun move set.

....I also REALLY want Takamaru (more than Isaac personally) but I feel like he will eventually get his revival and then be in Smash. Better to get the other two in first.

No offense to Chrom, he was an all right character in Awakening, but he is a much more boring choice then the other 3.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I voted for Isaac and Takamaru. I want Smash to be the game that further helps with Takamaru's revival. He would be the only projectile user/retro character/previously Japan only character/ non-European style swordsmen/elemental user hybrid. Essentially, he's like Link (projectiles) mixed with Marth (Japan only) mixed with Pit/Ice Climbers (retro revisioned) mixed with Charizard (fire elemental), Pikachu (lightning elemental), and Greninja (shurikens), but he's a samurai so his sword fighting style (non-European) would be unique to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Isaac and Shulk, however if nacmo would have a swordman rep, Isaac and Lloyd. Isaac is one of those assist like little mac who is has a high chance and a big fanbase. Shulk is a swordman who would be very different from the rest. And for Lloyd, I love the Tales series.
I would have said Chrom and Isaac but if all swordsmen prior to SSB4 are back, we have Marth, Ike, and Roy, and I'd rather have Roy than Chrom.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Isaac and Takamaru.

Isaac would have basic sword attacks, but his specials consisting of Psyenergy is where he'll truly feel unique.
He also has Djinns, AND Summons. So Isaac has a LOT going for him

Takamaru having samurai-style swordsmanship already makes him unique. Especially if he'll be a "battou" user. (Draws sword quickly from sheathe, and puts it away again, as opposed to characters such as Link and Marth who keep their swords out).
Takamaru's strength also lies in his projectiles. Knives, shuriken, flaming shuriken, 4-way shuriken. And other tricks uncommon to the samurai such as cloaking mantles.

Any other sword user will probably just be limited to using swords. I can't quite speak for Shulk, but another FE Lord can't make me happy in any way or form.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Robin can use both magic and swords, since both weren't in the least overlapping it was pretty common from the tacticians to have a good supply of both sword and tomes. against enemies with high defense they would use magic, against enemies with strong magic they would use swords. It was probably this versatility that made me feel they were the strongest class in the game. I say he/she have the potential to be as interesting as isaac.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Had Robin been a choice I'd of voted for him with Isaac.

Instead I sided with Isaac and Shulk. Because I find both blondies infinitely more exciting than a mostly forgotten generic looking samurai or Marth's descendant who looks a bit like Marth, plays a bit like Marth(and a bit like Ike) and wields the same ****ing sword even as Marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom