• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If SSB4 had room for one more Forgotten Nintendo Character

If SSB4 had room for one more Forgotten Nintendo Character who would you pick?

• Lip

Votes: 62 36.7%
  • Donbe & Hikari

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Prince Sable

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Excite Biker

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Mach Rider

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • Balloon Fighter

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Mike Jones

Votes: 34 20.1%
  • Pilot Wings Rep

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Muddly Mole

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Diskun

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ayumi Tachibana

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Mr. Sheriff

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Duck Hunt Dog

Votes: 54 32.0%
  • 1080 Snow Boarding Rep

• Wave Race Rep

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Treasure Heroes (sorry if the name is wrong)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Sukapon

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • DK Junior

• Tamagon

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Urban Champion

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Bubbles

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • The Marvelous Heroes

• Hakkun

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Lolo

• Wanda

• Kururin

• Little Boy

• Cubivore

• Koto Battle Protagonist

• Tantei Club Protagonist

• Goku

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • F-Type

• Sky Skipper

• Fighter Hayabusa

• Nester

• Doshin

• Jashin

• Hiro

• Mike Anderson

• Goose

• Mr. Stevenson

• Harry

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Time Twist Protagonist

• Demille

• Pockle

• John Solver

• Boy/Girl

• Oni

• Satella and Parabo

• Mini Kangaroo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if I can. Which would need to be added?
It is a long list, but the ones that are not already on the poll:

• -) Bubbles - Clu Clu Land
  • -) Tamagon - Devil World
  • -) Stanley - Donkey Kong 3
  • -) Donkey Kong Jr. - Donkey Kong Jr.
  • -) Character - Urban Champion
  • -) Wanda - Mario and Wario
  • -) Lolo - Eggerland
  • -) Kururin - Kuru Kuru Kururin
  • -) Little boy - Bunko: Hajimari no Mori
  • -) Hakkun - Sutte Hakkun
  • -) Protagonist - Tantei Club
  • -) Protagonist - Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito
  • -) Goku - Yūyūki
  • -) F-Type - Stunt Race FX
  • -) Sky Skipper - Sky Skipper
  • -) Fighter Hayabusa - Pro Wrestling
  • -) Nester - Nintendo Power
  • -) Doshin - Doshin the Giant
  • -) Hiro - Card Hero
  • -) Dion, Max and Jack - Marvelous
  • -) Mike Anderson - Battle Clash
  • -) Goose - Pilotwings
  • -) Mr. Stevenson - Gumshoe
  • -) Harry - Teleroboxer
  • -) Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de...
  • -) DeMille - Tomato Adventure
  • -) Pockle - GiFTPiA
  • -) John Solver - Bombsweeper
  • -) Boy/Girl - Sakura Momoko no UkiUki Carnival
  • -) Cubivore - Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
  • -) Oni - Power Soukoban
  • -) Parabô and Satebô - Satellaview
  • -) Urban Champion

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, I think that Excite Biker and Balloon Fighter are the most worthy retro characters. I don't know why Sakurai chose to put in Ice Climbers, of all people, instead of either of those.
Sakurai explained this in the Japanese Melee Dojo website. He said that Balloon Fighter would be useless without balloons and that Excitebiker couldn't work if he is always on the motorcycle.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They've been added!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I feel that Lip is the most deserving. So I voted for her.

I also voted for Sukapon and Doshin, because they seem like they could add something interesting to a fight.

(If it really was just one, it would have to go to Lip though)

I feel like an Eternal Darkness character should be there. (Either Alexandra Roivas or Pious Augustus, or both)

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
My vote goes to...

(Drawing Lip is simply too much fun!)
I'm always happy to see Lip supporters... and even happier to see such supporters also being supporters for Ashley, Hikari & Donbe, Black Shadow, and Ashley (all characters within my top 11 most wanted).

Wonderful drawing by the way, looks great, and I like the amount of personality that comes from it simply from Lip's expression and posture.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
you're still missing a certain samurai....
I suspect this is limited to such characters who've not been outright deconfirmed by an Assist Trophy appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if this post came about as a reaction to Takamaru's deconfirmation, considering he has been for a long while the most expected retro series rep newcomer, his inclusion as an Assist Trophy has really shook things up in terms of whose mostly likely to fill in the retro and/or obscure newcomer addition category.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who the hell is Little Boy and Boy/Girl? Too generic and too vague... what games are they from? Most of the characters listed are too obscure that they need to have the name of the game they came from listed next to their names.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Who the hell is Little Boy and Boy/Girl? Too generic and too vague... what games are they from? Most of the characters listed are too obscure that they need to have the name of the game they came from listed next to their names.
Here you go, thanks to Zhadgon:

We can still have one of this characters and all of them are forgotten:

-) Mach Rider - Mach Rider

-) Bubbles - Clu Clu Land

-) Tamagon - Devil World

-) Prince of Sablé - For the Frog the Bell Tolls

-) Stanley - Donkey Kong 3

-) Donkey Kong Jr. - Donkey Kong Jr.

-) Character - Urban Champion

-) Ryota Hayami - Wave Race

-) Akari Hayami - 1080º Snowboarding

-) Lip - Panel de Pon

-) Wanda - Mario and Wario

-) Ayumi Tachibana - Tantei Club

-) Donbe and Hikari - Shin Onigashima

-) Lolo - Eggerland

-) Mike Jones - StarTropics

-) Kururin - Kuru Kuru Kururin

-) Muddy Mole - Mole Mania

-) Little boy - Bunko: Hajimari no Mori

-) Hakkun - Sutte Hakkun

-) Protagonist - Tantei Club

-) Protagonist - Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito

-) Dog - Duck Hunt

-) Sheriff - Sheriff

-) Sukapon - Joy Mecha Fight

-) Goku - Yūyūki

-) F-Type - Stunt Race FX

-) Sky Skipper - Sky Skipper

-) Fighter Hayabusa - Pro Wrestling

-) Nester - Nintendo Power

-) Doshin - Doshin the Giant

-) Hiro - Card Hero

-) Diskun - Famicom

-) Dion, Max and Jack - Marvelous

-) Mike Anderson - Battle Clash

-) Goose - Pilotwings

-) Mr. Stevenson - Gumshoe

-) Harry - Teleroboxer

-) Tin Star - Tin Star

-) Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de...

-) DeMille - Tomato Adventure

-) Pockle - GiFTPiA

-) John Solver - Bombsweeper

-) Boy/Girl - Sakura Momoko no UkiUki Carnival

-) Cubivore - Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest

-) Oni - Power Soukoban

-) Muguru-kun - Power Lode Runner

-) Parabô and Satebô - Satellaview

Enjoy the list.

.n_n.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Loving how Lip is at the top of this list. I really don't see Duck Hunt Dog getting anywhere, personally, but I suppose anyone has potential. Duck Hunt Dog could be the first antagonist to be the only rep for a franchise. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Love how much love Lip and Duck Hunt Dog are getting.
I'm loving it too! I think that this tells me that Duck Hunt Dog is the third most wanted retro character after Takamaru and Lip among the Smash fanbase.

Oh, and Oracle, I feel that if a character's name is eponymous then there's no need to list their game's title next to their names. And if their names are not eponymous but their names are not too obscure that it's difficult to Google them, maybe there's no need to list their game's title next to their names... especially if they are Japan-only.

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
Duck Hunt Dog is my choice. Mr. Peepers would be great for repping the zapper games.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Loving how Lip is at the top of this list. I really don't see Duck Hunt Dog getting anywhere, personally, but I suppose anyone has potential. Duck Hunt Dog could be the first antagonist to be the only rep for a franchise. :troll:
... What about Wario? He's a villain but is the only representative of the Wario series.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
... What about Wario? He's a villain but is the only representative of the Wario series.
He's kinda more an anti-hero. He's counted as a villain rep by most, although I do consider him a Villain Protagonist.

Either way, I was joking.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
He's kinda more an anti-hero. He's counted as a villain rep by most, although I do consider him a Villain Protagonist.

Either way, I was joking.
I figured as much; Duck Hunt Dog being a villain is as common of a joke as Tom Nook being one (though Tom Nook managed to be rated Nintendo's 2nd best villain in an official poll once if I remember correctly).

I do personally still consider Wario a villain. Then again, I also still consider Meta Knight a villain (4 year old me is not forgetting watching Dyna Blade being blown up by the Halberd any time soon).

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
...all 48 of you people are silly. She shouldn't even be on the list if we can't vote for deconfirmed characters:troll:

Booster

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog/Mr. Peepers needs to be in Smash his moves could be:

B: Laugh (Powers up Duck Hunt Dog's next smash attack if it hits, if not it's wasted, based on Project M Lucas' B Move)
Side B: Duck Toss (Works like Purple Pikmin did in Brawl)
Up B: Ducks (Ducks grabbed onto Duck Hunt Dog and lift him like Snake's Recovery in Brawl)
Down B: Grass Hide (Creates a bush that the Duck Hunt Dog hides in similar to Lucario's Double Team in Vanilla Brawl, if he gets hit he does a counter attack)

Final Smash: Shoot the Ducks (Duck Hunt Dog/Mr. Peepers disappears, the other characters temporarily become ducks and you shoot them with "Zapper" and each hit damages the opponent obviously, as a nod to Zapper tech, everytime the "bullet" is fired the screen goes black with the white square. Based on Zero Suit Samus' New Final Smash in Super Smash Bros 4)

He would essentially be a mix of 5 different characters' moves

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, I think the best retro character to choose at this point would be Stanley the Bugman.
The guy hasn't been in any games in 30 years now and not to mention, he was always the forgotten one and neglected as well.
We've got Mario from the original Donkey Kong, who's pretty much the most known character in Nintendo's history.
We've got Donkey Kong who's always been the king of the jungle, but also a formidable foe to Mario.
And then we have Stanley, he's the one left that hasn't had anything new since Donkey Kong 3, he has to make a comeback!

Stanley's game has been given mostly mediocre reviews and most of the fans seem to discard him as a waste of a character in the Donkey Kong games. Not to mention, we've already got Mario and Donkey Kong in the game, two of the protangonists that was in each installment of the Donkey Kong trilogy, and before you guys get on about Donkey Kong's case.

DK.Jr is actually the Donkey Kong we know today and Cranky Kong is the old Donkey Kong you remember from the classic NES games. So now back to my case...Stanley, he is actually the only one left missing from the Donkey Kong trilogy. If he was included in the new Smash Bros, not only would we get a new retro character into the game. But we would also get the trio of the trilogy gathered together again and that would complete the franchise as a whole.

In my personal belief,
I think it's better to use someone that deserves a spot rather than throwing a character that the Nintendo fans want just because of some relevancy bullcrap or just because everyone knows about the character, sure I know that Stanley's game wasn't the most likeable game, since most fans refer it to a Space-Invaders clone, and to me it's not like that.

Plus he's had a lot of cameos in the Smash Bros series, for example the trophy from Melee which explains a lot about his game and Stanley as a character, then we had Brawl, he didn't make any special appearance aside from Mr.Game & Watch having his bugspray as a move. But yeah, he's been a part of Smash Bros. So at least that's some history with the series which is always good.

According to me I think it's much more than that. The game offered something new and original that the other prequels didn't, it wasn't about platforming, it wasn't about rescuing a damsel or a gorilla in distress and it certainly wasn't about solve math problems (A.K.A Donkey Kong Jr. Math). It was about making a strategy to kill all the bugs and defeat Donkey Kong and not to mention the game was actually a fixed shooter game.

And that is why I think Stanley, out of all the retro characters should make it into Smash Bros. For goodness sake he even had his own game in the Game & Watch collection, back in 1982. It was called Greenhouse and it was actually a game about protecting flowers and plants.
So in this case, I am probably going to recieve messages and replies about the case of Mr.Game & Watch and the fact that he has Stanley's bug-spray as a move in the game,
and personally I can understand their point of view but you gotta understand, just because Mr.Game & Watch has his bugspray doesn't mean that Stanley's automatically deconfirmed. He could always changed that move and give the bugspray to Stanley to use. I already have a moveset for him that would actually work pretty well in the Smash Bros enviroment and probably make him as unique and different from the other characters.

Also, just as a sidenote his 30th anniversary is this year (in Japan) actually and I thought what better time to announce a new character then to show it in a direct and announce the character during their birthday. They already did it with Luigi, so why not Stanley? He's pretty much a good candidate to have a year dedicated to himself. Because he's 30 years old and that's awesome. But that's not the only reason, he could also be included because he was the character that actually branched out the Donkey Kong series and made it something different. And in my opinion I think that's worth celebrating the year of Stanley for. And also it's worth celebrating making him a playable character in the new Smash Bros.

Now I know most of you might not agree with any of this but keep in mind, this is just an opinion.
There's no reason to be offended by it. And just because it doesn't have anything to do about your (certain) character doesn't mean you have to start hating on others, everyone has the right to state their own opinions and thoughts and just because it's not something both agrees on then too bad, someone is different then you. That should be a good thing, because that would mean people are not the same, and people have different opinions and thoughts which would makes us unique from each other.

And also if you happened to be offended by anything I said then I apologise in advance. I'm just stating my opinions and ideas, not everyone has to like it but, if you happened to like it then that's awesome. I like to hear your opinions and thoughts as well, you can share whatever you want with me and yes, it can be bad and good. It doesn't really matter, as long as it's something you wish to share. I'll be sure to try and be constructive and kind about it. After all, I can handle criticism very well and I'm always open for suggestions.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I voted for Muddy Mole.

Then I realized I could have voted for more people and now I am depressed.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Most of the characters I voted for I'd never played their games but like their designs/would like to play their games.

Lip- Needs to be appear in some form in the game.
Donbe & Hikari- I like duo characters and they seem fun.
Prince Sable - His transformations would have been fun...not sure if he'd work now.
Muddy mole- Bomb throwing mole.
donkey kong jr - Grew up playing the coleco and nes version. Really don't like how he disappeared completely in favor of diddy.
Hakkun - Really love the character design. Tried playing it once...don't think I made it past the tutorial/1st stage?

King Orfut

Smash Cadet
Mine's pretty obvious :p
Ever since Takamaru got the cut, it seems a lot more people are opening up towards the Lippity goodness. Which is a good thing.
Since I couldnt have my samurai, most of my energy is invested in her now... Just imagine her in, it would be very refreshing. SuKapon at a close second.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
How bout we get Ice Climbers back before we start talking about any other retros? Huh?!

...... After that my vote goes to Mike Jones. I suppose Lip too but I'm not too familiar with her so whatever.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I voted for the one and only Duck Hunt Dog. I need that taunt. Gonna spam it every second. BET ON IT.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I voted for Sukapon, not only because he's awesome and adorable, but because his fighting style would be insane.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I vote for Master Blaster. Even though everyone else would hate him because Sophia the 3rd would probably be his Final Smash.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Duck Hunt Dog is by far the most iconic of those listed.

I would love Mike Jones, but because StarTropics and its sequel were western developed and never released in Japan (think reverse Mother 3), I doubt we'll ever see NoJ acknowledge it.

I would also say Excitebiker or Mach Rider, but I don't know how they'd work in a fighting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom