• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
At least we get a trophy, I was scared there was going to be no mention of them

Spirst

At least we get a trophy, I was scared there was going to be no mention of them
No mention of them may have been ideal for DLC though. Now that they're already a trophy, I feel like DLC would be awkward.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I hope Sakurai DOES include them as DLC, and makes it so that when you beat Classic Mode as them you get a trophy of their NES sprites like in Melee.

This means they end up special because they now have 3 possible trophies instead of everyone else's.

But my hopes have been shot just by seeing that trophy so I'm not sure I don't think it'll actually happen.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
Some reason that trophy looks like it can be fighter material, I can see it being rendered if they ever made one.

Sad news to hear, I loved the little duo. It'd be funny if Sakurai cut them from the 3DS version and just made them Wii U Exclusive. I'd rather see that than nothing at all.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I think they look this good because they were planned to be playable, but limitations didn't allow it so they just used the models for the trophy.

Really want to see the description of the trophy

Nald

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5129-1580-3523
Well, it happened.
My secondary characters in Brawl and Melee, gone. I will never see those cute faces facing against Pac-Man or the Duck Hunt Dog. And, God, does it suck.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT LUCAS IS STILL ALIVE SINCE UNLIKE MEWTWO CHORUS MEN WOLF AND IC THERE HAS BEEN NO TROPHY OF HIM :chuckle:
Lucas.....DON'T LEAVE ME!!......:cry:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Just because they have a trophy DOESN'T mean they don't have a chance of becoming DLC.

Sure, it may seem like it because each playable character has their own trophy at the end of Classic and All-Star, and this leaves non playable characters with trophies vurnerable. But guys, you have to know that if they become DLC, they can EASILY recieve a new trophy made specifically for their completion in Classic and All-Star. Hell, these trophies they have now could just as much become their playable trophy too.

It's not like they were reduced to being Assist Trophies, because that, would have been much closer to a final deconfirmation.

Still hoping for the Wii U version to do the Ice Climbers more justice, there's no excuse that piece of (somewhat) current gen hardware should be handicapped because of it's handheld counterpart. If Sakurai STILL sticks to the "both versions must be completely equal" rule.

Then he's REALLY done a huge mistake.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Still hoping for the Wii U version to do the Ice Climbers more justice, there's no excuse that piece of (somewhat) current gen hardware should be handicapped because of it's handheld counterpart. If Sakurai STILL sticks to the "both versions must be completely equal" rule.

This is exactly my sentiment.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That Trophy is a new render, isn't it?

In regards to the 3DS version, it's clear that the system held Smash back this time. The N3DS is going to make Smash on it a better game for better loading, c-stick, in-game social options and maybe not resetting the game when you exit it. Maybe the extra CPU power will allow characters like Ice Climbers and Mewtwo to come back. But as is, it's clear the 3DS wasn't ready for Smash Bros.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

My heart is broken, I'm going to miss them so much, they were my secondary char on brawl, had lots of fun playing with them (no I never used chains) and its just so... disappointing. Still won't let this ruin the game for me, but it sucks that we are not gong to listen to this anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQvRY6td_Wk

About DLC... I don't know, I don't want to get my hopes up, I'm not even sure there will be DLC so I'll just get over them for this game, hopefuly they are back for the next one.

Oh and I blame the 3DS version about this, didn't want it, won't get it and now I have another reason to hate it.
Pretty much agree with everything you said in that last sentence.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm going to 2-post this because I didn't see this page until after I posted last page.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT LUCAS IS STILL ALIVE SINCE UNLIKE MEWTWO CHORUS MEN WOLF AND IC THERE HAS BEEN NO TROPHY OF HIM :chuckle:
Lucas.....DON'T LEAVE ME!!......:cry:
Get outta here and complain about Lucas somewhere else.

Just because they have a trophy DOESN'T mean they don't have a chance of becoming DLC.

Sure, it may seem like it because each playable character has their own trophy at the end of Classic and All-Star, and this leaves non playable characters with trophies vurnerable. But guys, you have to know that if they become DLC, they can EASILY recieve a new trophy made specifically for their completion in Classic and All-Star. Hell, these trophies they have now could just as much become their playable trophy too.

It's not like they were reduced to being Assist Trophies, because that, would have been much closer to a final deconfirmation.

A HUGE mistake? No, not huge, ENORMOUS.

That Trophy is a new render, isn't it?

In regards to the 3DS version, it's clear that the system held Smash back this time. The N3DS is going to make Smash on it a better game for better loading, c-stick, in-game social options and maybe not resetting the game when you exit it. Maybe the extra CPU power will allow characters like Ice Climbers and Mewtwo to come back. But as is, it's clear the 3DS wasn't ready for Smash Bros.
Ya. Good job Nintendo on making the lousiest Smash game because of stupid limitations. The Wii U version better not be held back because of this, and I'm hoping that characters like ICies, Mewtwo and such are Wii U characters, with them also being DLC on the 3DS.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
3DS limitations and shoddy Nintendo Network is why they got axed.
They probably won't get in as DLC unless they're majorly revamped. Like you'll only play as a single climber or more like Rosalina/Olimar where the second one gets mapped to a specific button and doesn't repeat your moves allowing for a possible desync.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Ya. Good job Nintendo on making the lousiest Smash game because of stupid limitations. The Wii U version better not be held back because of this, and I'm hoping that characters like ICies, Mewtwo and such are Wii U characters, with them also being DLC on the 3DS.
This smash game has more in it than any other. The limitations weren't bad at all, they just couldn't implement the Ice Climbers, which sucks. But there is really nothing we can do about it. Just hope for dlc.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This smash game has more in it than any other. The limitations weren't bad at all, they just couldn't implement the Ice Climbers, which sucks. But there is really nothing we can do about it. Just hope for dlc.
Then I guess we all have our opinions. Mine: The 3DS limitations ruined Smash 4. Yours: They didn't.

I guess now the only thing to do is wait for DLC, and/or start talking about how they'll be returning in Smash 5 (because if it happens, we know it won't be on a crappy system like the 3DS).

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Smash 3DS is a game full of great, I will admit this.
But I think a lot of people still think it would have been even better if there wasn't a 3DS game in the first place, and Sakurai and staff only had to focus on the WiiU version. It's not like Smash Run is something really amazing either...

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
Sad they got cut. I don't see why they couldn't have been wii u exclusives though. If Sak said he tried and couldn't get them on the 3ds version people would of understand. Even if they aren't dlc later for the wii u version we'll get em back when project m and things like that can be played on Smash 4.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I don't have much hope for ICs as DLC. The only thing I can see possible is that they're a Wii U exclusive. Hopefully we get a second Smash direct and Sakurai says something along the lines of, "I know I said the Wii U and 3DS would have the same roster, but we could not get Ice Climbers to work on the 3DS without significant lag; So, we are making Ice Climbers a Wii U exclusive! And don't worry, we are still hard at work to try and get them to work on the 3DS."

I pray something like this happens. Sakurai wouldn't want to anger the 3ds owners until after they buy it.

I'm not upset at all about ICs not being in the 3DS. What I will be upset about is if Sakurai cuts them on the Wii U because the 3DS can't handle them. I mean come on, what kind of person would be upset about Ice Climbers only being on Wii U.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Are there translations for the description? I'd like to hear what it talks about.

D

Deleted member

Apparently, someone found a WFT trainer trophy randomly, so don't lose hope yet!

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Are there translations for the description? I'd like to hear what it talks about.
"These are the Ice Climbers Popo and Nana, they don't join the fight this time around but this is what they would've looked like if they made it on time"

Not really but wouldn't that be a kick in the face like the Pokemon trainer trophy?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I imagine depending on when 8 player was conceived that Sakurai had already tested Ice Climbers in it, considering he said they were running fine on the Wii U.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We can't lose hope yet guys.

There's still time to work around their issues. The fact that they're working until Spring on Mewtwo definitely gives them time to tweak a practically completed and functional-on-one-system character on the side.

We've got one more mountain to climb, guys. Let's get scaling.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
We can't lose hope yet guys.

There's still time to work around their issues. The fact that they're working until Spring on Mewtwo definitely gives them time to tweak a practically completed and functional-on-one-system character on the side.

We've got one more mountain to climb, guys. Let's get scaling.
Indeed, with DLC now being an option, here is hoping that veterans such as the Ice Climbers become a priority in inclusion. It is possible that their issues with inclusion on the 3DS version can be worked around given time, and given their said to have already have been working on the Wii U version, they should have a lot completed already.

It looks like we'll have to be patient, but if we do get Ice Climbers playable in the game eventually, it'll be fantastic. Here's hoping!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because @Xiivi is awesome, I have taken over the OP of this thread. Hopefully you guys like it, as it will represent our DLC endeavors. I won't be doing a support list though. It'd be much too massive. :p

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
After Mewtwo, Ice Climbers should be next in line for DLC. Make SoPo happen, you have all the time you need.

Last edited:
Top Bottom