• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't about this but how would guys feel if Sakurai went all out and brought in Popo on his own and Nana on her own taking their own slots in the Roster ? :)
That wouldn't work for me. It'd take away what made them so unique in the past two installments. With DLC confirmed, they're practically a given for that. Let's just hope they fix the 3DS technical issues sooner than later.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Or just focus on Wii U entirely which they seem to be doing :)
Well duh, it's the superior version! Now that it is almost a given that they're DLC for both versions and/or Wii U exclusive, 3DS DLC, we can start talking about what we'd like to see for the ICies when they're confirmed as either of the previous mentioned options for them. I'll be the first to say...I'd like the cpu Nana to follow you around better. I mean, we've got the technology to do it, why don't we take advantage of it?

By the way, you won't find me on the ICies support thread anymore, only this one.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I believe at the very least Sopo will come back to us. It would make no sense to have character DLC and leave out a character that was planned for the game a second time.

:popo: ;)

I don't think getting the Ice Climbers back is something we have to worry much about.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Well duh, it's the superior version! Now that it is almost a given that they're DLC for both versions and/or Wii U exclusive, 3DS DLC, we can start talking about what we'd like to see for the ICies when they're confirmed as either of the previous mentioned options for them. I'll be the first to say...I'd like the cpu Nana to follow you around better. I mean, we've got the technology to do it, why don't we take advantage of it?

By the way, you won't find me on the ICies support thread anymore, only this one.
Cool, Cool <--- See what I Did there:gova:
I have been jumping back and forth keeping the support built upon the both because you cant have one
:popo:without the other

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Cool, Cool <--- See what I Did there:gova:
I have been jumping back and forth keeping the support built upon the both because you cant have one
:popo:without the other
But with my crazy life, there's only so much I can handle. If we get ICies as DLC (which we most likely will), do you guys think we'll get any stage DLC (as in a new stage for our eskimos)?

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
But with my crazy life, there's only so much I can handle. If we get ICies as DLC (which we most likely will), do you guys think we'll get any stage DLC (as in a new stage for our eskimos)?
If we are getting a new Ice Climber stage I can only think of a classic Ice Climber stage like the Balloon Fight stage.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Despite the fact that they can't seem to work on the 3DS, I really hope the Climbers get added to at least the Wii U version. It sucks to know the implications of them missing out. Hopefully that can all be rectified.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Despite the fact that they can't seem to work on the 3DS, I really hope the Climbers get added to at least the Wii U version. It sucks to know the implications of them missing out. Hopefully that can all be rectified.
We still don't know if they are completely inaccessible with the 3DS though, fixing them just wasn't a priority during development as Sakurai stated. Which makes sense, they had other characters to complete before the game's release. Now with the game out, they have all the time in the world to gather their resources on fixing the Ice Climbers.

If they really can't get them to work on 3DS, then Wii U exclusive DLC it is. Sakurai still has to make an official statement if all DLC content will be synonymous with both versions just like the retail roster.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We still don't know if they are completely inaccessible with the 3DS though, fixing them just wasn't a priority during development as Sakurai stated. Which makes sense, they had other characters to complete before the game's release. Now with the game out, they have all the time in the world to gather their resources on fixing the Ice Climbers.

If they really can't get them to work on 3DS, then Wii U exclusive DLC it is. Sakurai still has to make an official statement if all DLC content will be synonymous with both versions just like the retail roster.
I do hope that DLC doesn't have to be the same for both versions. If the ICies can't work on 3DS, then Smash for Wii U would be the only way to even have them in this generation.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
In my opinion, one of two things will happen.
Either they can get them to work on the 3DS (because by the sounds of it it's not impossible, they just didn't have enough time), or they make them exclusive to the Wii U and New 3DS (if the New 3DS can handle Xenoblade of all things, they can run Ice Climbers).

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

It's not happening. They won't do wii u only characters. So unless they can fix the 3ds issues which is likely not possible, I wouldn't get your hopes up

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Doubt is speculation too. And all I'm saying is, don't do the ridley thing where you convince yourself iceclimbers are a sure thing. They're a long shot

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Doubt is speculation too. And all I'm saying is, don't do the ridley thing where you convince yourself iceclimbers are a sure thing. They're a long shot
While I do agree that it's healthy to have a healthy level of doubt (poor, poor Chrom ;.; ), I do think the Climbers are in a better position than Ridley.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Out of all the veterans, the Ice Climbers need to come back the most.

Hopefully Sakurai can pull some kind of miracle and find a way to make them work on the 3DS, as that's pretty much the only thing holding them back. Sakurai already revealed that they were working fine on the Wii U, which can only mean they were extremely close to being finished before being scrapped.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't believe we literally need a Miracle on Ice...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sure but that's not saying much
Eh, to each their own I suppose. I just think that they're in a pretty good spot. Most of the work on them has already been done, and by the way things were worded, it sounded like they could fix the issue, but it was too low a priority. Now as DLC there's more time.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers are fully functional on Wii U version, Sakurai said, they already are developed/ in development, at least for Wii U. We don't have to worry about it.
I think when they make it work in the 3DS version, they will launch them. It's just about time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I would love to have Ice Climbers back, but I'm not too sure about their DLC chances.

I could easily see them returning for Smash 5 when (hopefully) Nintendo produces stronger handheld hardware (and they already have with the New 3DS anyway) , but I'm not sure what can be done with them right now that doesn't end up gutting their uniqueness (like just making them "Ice Climber", aka Sopo). Sakurai and co. had to cut several corners with Smash in order to make the 3DS game happen (Removal of transformations, cutting Olimar's Pikmin count in half, lack of item frequency, limiting certain things like the amount of ATs/Pokemon on the stage, 30 fps for NPCs, etc). Perhaps ICs just ain't possible on the regular 3DS hardware.

Of course, they could just say, make them DLC for the New 3DS, but then there's the other problem: Sakurai is a bit too hellbent with the roster parity thing and wants to make sure both versions of Smash 4 share the same roster. He might find it unfair that one group of people who own a regular 3DS to get the cold shoulder. But who knows? We'll see.

Another thing to consider: what about 8-player Smash? Can the Wii U even handle what would basically amount to 16 characters all at once?

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I would love to have Ice Climbers back, but I'm not too sure about their DLC chances.

I could easily see them returning for Smash 5 when (hopefully) Nintendo produces stronger handheld hardware (and they already have with the New 3DS anyway) , but I'm not sure what can be done with them right now that doesn't end up gutting their uniqueness (like just making them "Ice Climber", aka Sopo). Sakurai and co. had to cut several corners with Smash in order to make the 3DS game happen (Removal of transformations, cutting Olimar's Pikmin count in half, lack of item frequency, limiting certain things like the amount of ATs/Pokemon on the stage, 30 fps for NPCs, etc). Perhaps ICs just ain't possible on the regular 3DS hardware.

Of course, they could just say, make them DLC for the New 3DS, but then there's the other problem: Sakurai is a bit too hellbent with the roster parity thing and wants to make sure both versions of Smash 4 share the same roster. He might find it unfair that one group of people who own a regular 3DS to get the cold shoulder. But who knows? We'll see.

Another thing to consider: what about 8-player Smash? Can the Wii U even handle what would basically amount to 16 characters all at once?
So he doesn't think it's unfair that the group that only owns a 3ds can't play 8-player smash or master and crazy orders or the boardgame (because smash run really makes up for that).

I think the wii u can handle Ice Climbers in 8-player smash, because Sakurai already stated that Ice Climbers work perfectly on the wii u.(people keep underestimating the power of the wii u).

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
This was possible on a GameCube:

They wouldn't be a problem at all for 8 Player Smash on Wii U. Sakurai even confirmed they worked on the Wii U version, he wouldn't say that if they caused issues on 8 Player Smash.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I personally think Nana should be a 30 FPS assistant for attacks that can be KO'd much like Luma, except she can only be KO'd in the traditional way (But still 60 FPS in Wii U).

I want them back badly.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero

You have to remember 8 player smash with all the backgrounds and the assist trophies, poke balls and the Smash balls it's hectic but it could handle it.
This was possible on a GameCube:

They wouldn't be a problem at all for 8 Player Smash on Wii U. Sakurai even confirmed they worked on the Wii U version, he wouldn't say that if they caused issues on 8 Player Smash.
This brings hope to a whole new level if we judge by the increase in Hardware the Wii could handle 7 and Wii U could handle 8 :') This is making me so hyped Come on Sakurai add them you know you want to and while I remember didn't someone say the 3DS Had the same processing power as the Gamecube ? New 3ds is going to be able to handle them hopefully :)

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
So going back to the one idea I had, I think the single rep row makes sense especially since it would technically be ordered chronologically (by franchise introduction date):

:4duckhunt::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit:

1984-1985-1989-1990--2001-2001-2007

If this stayed the same, the Ice Climbers would appear before ROB, as they came out in the same year but Ice Climber came out in January while Stack Up came out in July and then you'd have something like this:

:4duckhunt::popo::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit:

This leaves one more space to make a full row. If there is going to be an new addition, I imagine it will be either right before or right after Wii Fit Trainer. Like I said earlier, Chorus Men would definitely fit this bill because Rhythm Heaven came out in in 2008. Isaac/Matthew from Golden Sun could work too but he would be between Villager and Olimar as all three came out during the same year. This all being said, I expect one of the single rep DLC characters to be from the NES/Arcade era and the other to be from the Wii/DS era.
Rhythm Heaven Came out in 2006 not 2008
Rhythm Tengoku was the first in the series and released on Game Boy Advance on August 3rd 2006 so its around a 8 year old franchise which is not a lot but it would mean They would go before Wii Fit Trainer also what you said about Isaac would be correct Oh And What about Shulk? he came out after Wii Fit Xenoblade was out in 2010 :p

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Rhythm Heaven Came out in 2006 not 2008
Rhythm Tengoku was the first in the series and released on Game Boy Advance on August 3rd 2006 so its around a 8 year old franchise which is not a lot but it would mean They would go before Wii Fit Trainer also what you said about Isaac would be correct Oh And What about Shulk? he came out after Wii Fit Xenoblade was out in 2010 :p
Yeah And where's Game and watch and little Mac for that matter.
Also guys how would you feel if either the Ice climbers where the last unlock or the Reason you to leave your Wii U on for 10 hours either would work for me :D

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think if we're going to get any Ice Climber DLC, it'll be on their 30th anniversary.
I don't think that will happen unfortunately. I think that's a bit too soon. Saying they'll come out as DLC with or near the date that
Mewtwo comes seems more logical to me.

Yeah And where's Game and watch and little Mac for that matter.
Also guys how would you feel if either the Ice climbers where the last unlock or the Reason you to leave your Wii U on for 10 hours either would work for me :D
I keep saying this...as long as they're in the game, either as late unlocks for Wii U (DLC for 3DS) or DLC for both versions, I don't care. They'd just better be there or I KNOW there will be riots.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So he doesn't think it's unfair that the group that only owns a 3ds can't play 8-player smash or master and crazy orders or the boardgame (because smash run really makes up for that).
Yes, but remember that Sakurai said that while things like the stages and game modes would be different between the two versions, the roster and its characters would remain the same, which is why he even cut ICs from the Wii U version in the first place, as they couldn't work on 3DS.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Yes, but remember that Sakurai said that while things like the stages and game modes would be different between the two versions, the roster and its characters would remain the same, which is why he even cut ICs from the Wii U version in the first place, as they couldn't work on 3DS.
Yeah but see the fact the 3DS is basically dead now with you know the fact most Mewtwo fans and people who want All that features and the new character will go buy a Wii U Making the 3DS Redundant (expect for portability) The Wii U will be the more used for online, tourneys and overall let's plays on YouTube, Why ? Because look at the colossal amount of Content on Wii U it's clearly the best game out of the series (If it had these 3 it would be no question :lucas::wolf::popo:)
Give it a year and they will Slide there way back ;)

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
It still doesn't make sense to have everything different except for the characters.
Yeah but see the fact the 3DS is basically dead now with you know the fact most Mewtwo fans and people who want All that features and the new character will go buy a Wii U Making the 3DS Redundant (expect for portability) The Wii U will be the more used for online, tourneys and overall let's plays on YouTube, Why ? Because look at the colossal amount of Content on Wii U it's clearly the best game out of the series (If it had these 3 it would be no question :lucas::wolf::popo:)
Give it a year and they will Slide there way back ;)
Comparing the 3ds version with the wii u version is like comparing pokemon R/S to the upcoming OR/AS.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I don't think that will happen unfortunately. I think that's a bit too soon. Saying they'll come out as DLC with or near the date that
Mewtwo comes seems more logical to me.
Oh, I didn't realize their anniversary was Jan 30. Yeah that may be a bit to soon, but who knows.

Top Bottom