• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
With Mewtwo's confirmation I'm very confident Ice Climbers will return. We already have proof they where planned for 3DS, but my theory is that due they caused lots of problems on the 3DS, Sakurai putted them on hold due they had to reach a deadline for the 3DS version.

What is very positive is that the Ice Climbers ran perfectly on the WiiU version & unlike Mewtwo they don't have to build them from scratch, due they just can port the WiiU model & now they enough time to find for a solution to make them work on 3DS

caldw19940

Smash Cadet
Well surely the same problems they caused on 3DS would still exist even after the Wii U is out? The 3DS couldn't handle 6-8 character models running around in 4 player so I don't think that'd go away.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
After Mewtwo, Ice Climbers should be next in line for DLC. Make SoPo happen, you have all the time you need.
I actually Sort of Disagree Lucas And Wolf seem the next most likely to return in my eyes after Mewtwo but with Mewtwo being playable it gives a great chance to the icies coming back!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with what everyone else is saying, I do think the Ice Climbers should be next. It does appear that the character selection screen was made the way that it was on purpose for the sake of fitting at least four more DLC characters. Given how the Ice Climbers seem to have been like 70% complete before they were scrapped, it seems like a no brainer to do them next.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I agree with what everyone else is saying, I do think the Ice Climbers should be next. It does appear that the character selection screen was made the way that it was on purpose for the sake of fitting at least four more DLC characters. Given how the Ice Climbers seem to have been like 70% complete before they were scrapped, it seems like a no brainer to do them next.
Would Sakurai agree with having them like in Melee/Brawl for Wii U but have 3DS use a SoPo with a Nana alt? If not, could he lower their/Nana's FPS like what they did with the pikmin?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would Sakurai agree with having them like in Melee/Brawl for Wii U but have 3DS use a SoPo with a Nana alt? If not, could he lower their/Nana's FPS like what they did with the pikmin?
Hard to say but there's a lot of evidence that suggests that the Ice Climbers were practically done for the most part but the standard 3DS couldn't handle them. Given how the New 3DS XL has more than twice the processing power than the standard 3DS, it could easily handle them so perhaps they may simply be on the Wii U and New 3DS. The fact that there is DLC shows that Sakurai doesn't care that much about being "fair" when it comes to the same characters being available to everyone so this is a possible route.

Also, I pointed this out in another thread:

With Mewtwo and another Star Fox rep in the fourth row, Duck Hunt Doge and ROB would be moved down to the fifth row, strongly suggesting that the fifth row is intended to be all single franchise reps since the clones would be moved down another row to accommodate these changes. To fill this row, two more single reps would be needed. With the content that Ice Climber and Rhythm Heaven already have in Smash 3DS, I could see the Ice Climbers and the Chorus Men being front runners for this category.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
is it just me or is it strange that all of the characters taken out, like Ice Climbers, have almost nothing representing them in the games. I mean I realize that thy have trophies for them, but I mean the Ice Climbers have been in for the past two games at least put them in as Assist Trophies (This also applies to the other dropped characters, like Wolf, Lucas, etc.)

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
I actually Sort of Disagree Lucas And Wolf seem the next most likely to return in my eyes after Mewtwo but with Mewtwo being playable it gives a great chance to the icies coming back!
Ness stole all of lucas' moves so i would say wolf is next because lucas would need a completely revamped moveset
i just dont think lucas is happening

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Ness stole all of lucas' moves so i would say wolf is next because lucas would need a completely revamped moveset
i just dont think lucas is happening
That's not a Great Point Marth and Lucina have the same custom moves and Lucina is a Clone of Marth so it would not really matter if he still had the same move set just look at Ganon and Toon Link

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Please take the Lucas discussion elsewhere. This is the Ice Climbers' thread.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Calling it now. Custom neutral Bs are going to be an ice shot that is larger but has less range and speed but more damage and one that is smaller but has more range and speed but less damage.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
is it just me or is it strange that all of the characters taken out, like Ice Climbers, have almost nothing representing them in the games. I mean I realize that thy have trophies for them, but I mean the Ice Climbers have been in for the past two games at least put them in as Assist Trophies (This also applies to the other dropped characters, like Wolf, Lucas, etc.)
I'll admit, it would have been painful if they were Assists.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
I'll admit, it would have been painful if they were Assists.
I guess, I feel like they are just pushing them all to the side though, I think they deserve more for being players at once. Ya know like a tribute to them. But hopefully them not being Assist means they will be DLC :)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ideas if Ice Climber (minus the S, aka SoPo) was a thing;
QUICK THINGS;
-Ice Climber is Popo, with Nana as an Alt., 4 Colors for each
-Attacks are buffed in power/knockback, obviously
MOVESET CHANGES;
Up B; Instead of using a rope to throw your partner, use a Pickaxe on a rope to do the same thing.
Side B; Keep the Popocopter mechanic, but now be able to use it by yourself to maximum efficiency
Neutral B; Bigger Iceberg + More Freeze Time
Down B; Have a Pushing Effect around the attack's Hitbox

:popo:

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I remember someone said why not just have ice climbers in sprite form like Flying man on the 3DS version?

Would anyone here be okay with that? :popo:
I actually wouldn't mind that! hell even in melee when you completed Classic with them you get 8 Bit Versions of them

Ideas if Ice Climber was a thing;
QUICK THINGS;
-Ice Climber is Popo, with Nana as an Alt., 4 Colors for each
-Attacks are buffed in power/knockback, obviously
MOVESET CHANGES;
Up B; Instead of using a rope to throw your partner, use a Pickaxe on a rope to do the same thing.
Side B; Keep the Popocopter mechanic, but now be able to use it by yourself to maximum efficiency
Neutral B; Bigger Iceberg + More Freeze Time
Down B; Have a Pushing Effect around the attack's Hitbox
:popo:
What about giving the Pterodactyl as a Recovery and the Rope as a Grab?

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I remember someone said why not just have ice climbers in sprite form like Flying man on the 3DS version?

Would anyone here be okay with that? :popo:
The problem is not related to that, it's the fact that Nana has her own AI for the 3DS to process.
Making the Pokémon Trainer formed by sprites of Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard for example wouldn't have solved the problem, since the problem was the fact that the game had to load an entire new moveset (not only the look) during the match.
The only practical solutions are making them separate (I would be OK with that if in the next installment they come back together) or maybe making them exclusive to the New 3DS.
Or maybe making Nana a little bit simpler like Luma. But all the mind games of her dislocating herself from Popo and acting on her own will disappear.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So going back to the one idea I had, I think the single rep row makes sense especially since it would technically be ordered chronologically (by franchise introduction date):

:4duckhunt::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit:

1984-1985-1989-1990--2001-2001-2007

If this stayed the same, the Ice Climbers would appear before ROB, as they came out in the same year but Ice Climber came out in January while Stack Up came out in July and then you'd have something like this:

:4duckhunt::popo::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit:

This leaves one more space to make a full row. If there is going to be an new addition, I imagine it will be either right before or right after Wii Fit Trainer. Like I said earlier, Chorus Men would definitely fit this bill because Rhythm Heaven came out in in 2008. Isaac/Matthew from Golden Sun could work too but he would be between Villager and Olimar as all three came out during the same year. This all being said, I expect one of the single rep DLC characters to be from the NES/Arcade era and the other to be from the Wii/DS era.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Once the games been around for a year and people stop caring about equality between the two versions, maybe we'll get these guys climbing again!! If not sooner! Supporting the awesome play style that shouldn't have been cut because of the 3DS.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think an Ultimate version of Smash 4 3DS and Smsh 4 Wii U, similar to how Marvel vs Capcom 3 got an update in the form of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is their only hope with the Ultimate version of the 3DS version being on the New 3DS.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sakurai said both rosters are going to be the same. Exclusivity won't happen.
Sakurai just says things.

Imagine half a year from wii U release... the expectations and stuff will die down and 3ds will die down and they'll just throw some climbers in there.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Sakurai said both rosters are going to be the same. Exclusivity won't happen.
What he said about the roster means they will be the same at retail. He has yet to say if DLC is going the same route, until he does i'm going to consider the possibility of a Wii U exclusive DLC.

Currently, i see these as possible cases for their return:
  1. They find a solution for making Ice Climbers workable on the 3DS version, with some minor changes.
  2. They completely revamp Ice Climbers, making solo Climber Popo with adjustments to the moveset to make him be a solid character on his own.
    as an alternate.
  3. They become a Wii U exclusive DLC, with no changes to their moveset.
  4. They become DLC for both versions of the game, but for the 3DS version it will be via the New 3DS.
Worst case scenario would be having to wait for the next Smash for them to return.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
People not wanting a series' staple back because 'lol chaingrabz' are being obtuse. It's like the people who wanted Meta Knight cut because he totally isn't one of the most popular Nintendo characters and one of the most awesome 'But he's zo OP!'.

Mr G W

Smash Cadet
3 things may happen to them:

- Nothing

- They return as separate fighters like the "lone ice climber" in melee, with Popo and Nana being alt costumes.

- Same as above, but they take separate character slots since originally they had minor differences in gameplay.

Top Bottom