• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a very serious question about Sheik's gender!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Epic thread.

Zelda was pretending to be a guy named Shiek.

That means that while other characters thought Shiek was male, it was in fact Zelda in disguise, and Shiek is still female.

The only argument that goes against this is the manga argument that the transformation is not a disguise but a magical transformation into a guy. I tend to base my opinion on the GAMES, especially for things relating to zelda.

AnusNinja

Smash Cadet
It all goes back to Ocarina of Time lore.

Zelda disguised herself as a famous Sheikah, known as Sheik, who apparently died in the "war" before the beginning of the story. That is, the same "war" where Link's mother left him in Kokiri.

That Sheik was a male. Zelda, with the help of Impa, I assume, disguised herself as that man.

Sheik is a male. However, when Zelda transforms into that male, she is technically still a female. The Sheik in Ocarina, Melee, and Brawl is a female. The original Sheik, who Zelda is pretending to be, is a male.

D

Deleted member

Epic thread.

Zelda was pretending to be a guy named Shiek.

That means that while other characters thought Shiek was male, it was in fact Zelda in disguise, and Shiek is still female.

The only argument that goes against this is the manga argument that the transformation is not a disguise but a magical transformation into a guy. I tend to base my opinion on the GAMES, especially for things relating to zelda.
This is win.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
SHeik is a male and Zelda is pretending to be that male.
This would be true if Shiek was an actual character, but Shiek doesn't actual exist seperate from Zelda.

If Zelda pretends to be Link, you could say "Link is a male and Zelda is pretending to be him", but Zelda is pretending to be a male character named Shiek, and since Shiek is Zelda, Shiek is female.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
"Yes, Sheik is DISGUISED as a male"
No. He isn't. Zelda is.

The Adder understands. His example is perfect.

If Link dressed up as Zelda, Zelda would suddenly be a man?

I'm talking personas here.

Sheik is a man, and Zelda is disguised as him.
That's nice and all, but you're missing one fact in this, Sheik doesn't exist, Zelda created him, therefore, dressing as him, Zelda's still a female.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
It's amazing that people can get into a huge stream of insult flinging over this :D

My opinion: Technically female, supposed to look like a male, doesn't matter in the slightest. Is referred to as female by Sakurai (and, I would assume, in game), so we can also refer to her that way. This whole dispute seems to be based on which word to use, other than that everyone seems to agree..

The fact that it's gone so far as to argue about which genitalia these fictional characters have is ridiculous.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
This would be true if Shiek was an actual character, but Shiek doesn't actual exist seperate from Zelda.

If Zelda pretends to be Link, you could say "Link is a male and Zelda is pretending to be him", but Zelda is pretending to be a male character named Shiek, and since Shiek is Zelda, Shiek is female.
So, if I created a male character, then a female dresses up as said character, suddenly my male is a female?

Because that's the same thing that happened with Sheik.

No one is arguing that Sheik has a wang (at least not when Zelda = Sheik), just that Zelda wants Sheik to be a guy.

D

Deleted member

It's amazing that people can get into a huge stream of insult flinging over this :D

My opinion: Technically female, supposed to look like a male, doesn't matter in the slightest. Is referred to as female by Sakurai (and, I would assume, in game), so we can also refer to her that way. This whole dispute seems to be based on which word to use, other than that everyone seems to agree..

The fact that it's gone so far as to argue about which genitalia these fictional characters have is ridiculous.
Fair enough!

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
I have the perfect example now.

We all agree that Peter Pan's a guy, right?

Well, the first person who was ever Peter Pan in the plays was a female. Does that make Peter, in that play, a female?

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
I think there are much more important questions. That's to say...

HAIR PARADOX!

Why does Zelda turn her hair from brown to blonde?

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
I have the perfect example now.

We all agree that Peter Pan's a guy, right?

Well, the first person who was ever Peter Pan in the plays was a female. Does that make Peter, in that play, a female?
Better yet, the first Zelda commercial(The one for the Famicom, yes)
Has a female actor doing Link's part, the actor is a female, yet the character is a male, but when you'll call out to her(HER) out of the cast you'll be calling a female.

This is slightly different though, Link's character(So is Peter Pan's) were already made up as males for their respective stories, these were done afterwards.

D

Deleted member

Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game. - Masahiro Sakurai
THREAD OVER

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I think I can fix this, BEHOLD! BOOB!

As you can see Sheik as Zelda in a Ninja suit. Why the hair and EYE color change? Magic, how else dose she change from Ninja to Princess in an instant?
Remember this is a Sheik that was meant from Twilight Princess that was never implemented into the game so it is going to look different (aka having boobs).

krabbymcnabby

Smash Cadet
Well, men don't normally do this

It would leave them open to PWNage and it would hurt anyway

and i doubt zelda was dressing up as a girl from that young of an age and she wouldn't be able to hide this fact from so many people

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I think I can fix this, BEHOLD! BOOB!

As you can see Sheik as Zelda in a Ninja suit. Why the hair and EYE color change? Magic, how else dose she change from Ninja to Princess in an instant?
Remember this is a Sheik that was meant from Twilight Princess that was never implemented into the game so it is going to look different (aka having boobs).
I see no flaws in your argument, and It's Full of win.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
*I support Sheik being female, but I just need to point out these facts*

Picture at Krabby's post, this actually supports Sheik of being male, why do you think the picture is showing her back and not front? It ripped apart while doing this, explains Link's expression doesn't it? =D

Also, a question for thought, how do you know that Zelda isn't actually Sheik, DRESSED AS ZELDA? Hmm...

/Tease over.*Again, I know that Sheik is female, this is just a tease at the idiots who don't realize.*

Elysium

Smash Lord
@the boob argument, the answer is simple.

In OoT, Zelda had to tape them down so no one would think about it. With her TP model..she got lazy and didn't feel like taping them down anymore.

Onepost

Smash Rookie
Funny how it's 'ignorant' to think that Sheik is male, when the only real ignorant people on here are the ones that believe that there is no gender issue at all. There is NO official source that calls Sheik a female. Smash Bros is NOT official Zelda canon, no more than the manga where they specifically point out that Sheik is male. There are even some stories that have Sheik and Zelda as separate characters, the former being male.

Is it really that much of a stretch for Sheik to be male? We already have to assume that Zelda changed her physical build, her eye color, her skin tone, her voice and the length of her hair. All of those changes are physical, the Zelda universe is a magical one. Try to have an open mind.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Funny how it's 'ignorant' to think that Sheik is male, when the only real ignorant people on here are the ones that believe that there is no gender issue at all. There is NO official source that calls Sheik a female. Smash Bros is NOT official Zelda canon, no more than the manga where they specifically point out that Sheik is male. There are even some stories that have Sheik and Zelda as separate characters, the former being male.
If I remember correctly, in the game manual for the original Metroid game Samus was implied to be male. Do we believe Samus got a sex changed during the game? No. It's the same thing.

Is it really that much of a stretch for Sheik to be male? We already have to assume that Zelda changed her physical build, her eye color, her skin tone, her voice and the length of her hair. All of those changes are physical, the Zelda universe is a magical one. Try to have an open mind.

Is it so much of a stretch to accept to be playing with a female character? Or is it an insult to someone's masculinity?
For everyone going OMG NO BOOBS; Guess what? Breasts are a huge pain to have for a girl to have during combat (unlike what Soul Calibur fanservice says). Being punched in the chest = very painful for a girl! Hence why girls in martial arts bind them, and if you've ever seen any decent movie with a cross dressing girl you will see she will bind them to pass off as a guy, and it works. Ok?

Even if Zelda changed her gender, or made an illusion to pass off of as a male or whatnot it's still her, with a female mind and consciousness. So Sheik would still be female.

Heretique

Smash Apprentice

Stop trying to make controversy. What's official is:

-Zelda disguises herself to be a Sheikah, calls herself Sheik
-Zelda is a woman

Unless you're just stupid.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
No offense anyone, but I think it's because a lot of little boys would prefer to play as a male character, preferring to play a transexual than a female in disguise. They'd rather point to obscure mangas than in-game trophy text.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
No offense anyone, but I think it's because a lot of little boys would prefer to play as a male character, preferring to play a transexual than a female in disguise. They'd rather point to obscure mangas than in-game trophy text.

Exactly.
Sexism = stupid.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Those who think Sheik is a guy have never played Ocarina of Time. It's just that simple, and we should truly pity them.
Agreed, anyone who hasnt played Ocarina of Time should be pitied. (is pitied a word?)

Also i think her new design is pretty cool, with the long hair, i always thought she was hiding her hair inside that white hat thing.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
If she wants to disguise herself, she couldn't just put a handkerchief in the face, and let all that dress and hair..
If she was going to trick Ganondorf she would have needed a smarter disguise than one which could be pointed out a mile away.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Uggg, I cant believe these sickos still think Sheik is a dude. I especially love the one guy saying "virgin," "******," and "you proved yourself to be an idiot so Im going to stop arguing." He is like an amalgamation of all of the "Oh **** im losing an argument! If I say THIS I WINNNNN!!!!" The fact is, Batman is not different than Bruce Wayne, is he? Because John puts on a dress, a wig, and some makeup and calls himself Jane is Jane a woman?!! NO!! It doesn't work like that. All of you supporters of Male Sheik KNOW the only reason you want Sheik to be a dude is so you can keep writing sicko fanfictions about Link and Sheik spending long cold winter nights snowed in at the ole log cabin WITHOUT it being remotely not gay. How come it seems that Zelda fans are the most twisted? MALE Sheik? FEMALE Link?! Come on! You people make me sick.

Smash Apprentice
We all know that Sheik is Zelda in disguise, why are people arguing that Sheik is a guy? It is just plain fact from day one that Sheik is a girl in disguise.
Not really.

It depends on your definition of gender.

Also, keep in mind that the disguise may be more than just a matter of clothing.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
that pic with link reminds me of.............

damm she still has that stupid forward tilt which i hate so much....

damm sheik get nerfed!!!

Onepost

Smash Rookie
If I remember correctly, in the game manual for the original Metroid game Samus was implied to be male. Do we believe Samus got a sex changed during the game? No. It's the same thing.

Is it so much of a stretch to accept to be playing with a female character? Or is it an insult to someone's masculinity?
For everyone going OMG NO BOOBS; Guess what? Breasts are a huge pain to have for a girl to have during combat (unlike what Soul Calibur fanservice says). Being punched in the chest = very painful for a girl! Hence why girls in martial arts bind them, and if you've ever seen any decent movie with a cross dressing girl you will see she will bind them to pass off as a guy, and it works. Ok?

Even if Zelda changed her gender, or made an illusion to pass off of as a male or whatnot it's still her, with a female mind and consciousness. So Sheik would still be female.
The Metroid manual, I believe, was written so that Samus' gender would be a surprise at the end of the game. This is a little different. Also, you didn't answer my question, you only asked another question. I don't think it's a stretch to play as a female, that has nothing to do with it. As far as the 'gender of her consciousness', I disagree.

"Stop trying to make controversy. What's official is:

-Zelda disguises herself to be a Sheikah, calls herself Sheik
-Zelda is a woman

Unless you're just stupid."

Yeah, I'm just stupid enough to know that debates have two sides and there are no facts pointing in either direction. There is nothing official in the Zelda universe that states Sheik is female. To think there is no discrepency is just ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom