• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't buy this "by 2014 they mean HOLIDAY 2014" business

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Last time I checked, Sakurai isn't Square Enix or 3D Realms studios. Though Nintendo is fine taking their sweet time, they *do* work at a good clip.

It's also been in development for more than a year at this point, and I don't think what they showed is the latest they've been around for. Why is everyone assuming they'll hold back for another year and a half? Melee is the only SSB so far that has launched in the holidays? The original and Brawl were released earlier in the year.

I predict Summer 2014 at the latest.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well, the more time they take on it hopefully means the more it'll be polished. So I personally won't mind waiting a little longer. As long as it doesn't spill into 2015 lol.

TreK

Is "that guy"
It released on holiday '08 in Europe, for some reason. It was actually quite a handicap for the first year for us.
/salt

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'm just going to guess November.

Tis a pretty popular time to release games. Freakin' love that month.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Well, the more time they take on it hopefully means the more it'll be polished. So I personally won't mind waiting a little longer. As long as it doesn't spill into 2015 lol.
If indeed they feel they need more time I agree with you, however I don't think they should take more time if they don't have any use for it. Sadly taking more time on anything can actually make it worth if said product is already finished in the minds of those making it. Nintendo is pretty good about taking more time if they need it though, so I wouldn't worry about an unpolished game.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Summer 2014 seems a little short for a staff working on 2 smash games.
You mean two games that are built off the same engine, won't have crossplay to worry about, and will have been in development for 27 months at that point? Granted, programming isn't easy (I do work in that business), but a lot of the foundation is already there. Nintendo won't sit on Smash considering Wii U's situation. 3DS, on the other hand, could be, but I'm still very suspicious.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Summer 2014 seems a little short for a staff working on 2 smash games.
Maybe. Maybe not. A year is not an unreasonable amount of time to spend on a game. Summer 2014 would give them over a year per game. Not to mention the two games are meant to be highly similar and there are two teams working on this endeavor. Summer 2014 seems reasonable to me, but who knows. Honestly they're vagueness (totally a word right?) might be because they're not even sure yet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I expect a mid-late 2014 release date. I don't mind waiting long for the game.

As Miyamoto said:
A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever.
I know it's quite cliché at this at this point, but mentioning it wouldn't hurt. :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You mean two games that are built off the same engine, won't have crossplay to worry about, and will have been in development for 27 months at that point?
27 months? How is that?

It has been in development for just 16 months. (Feb 2012 - now)

Spire

III
BRoomer
A 2014 release window means it could be released literally any time in 2014. Melee was released in early Winter, Brawl was released in Late Winter/Spring. They could do anything they see fit. Nintendo has a business model gauging the best possible time for release, so they'll do so accordingly. Hopefully they won't rush the game though, allowing it as much development time as needed. On the contrary, a deadline can help motivate the team to push out more work than they might have been motivated to do. The deadline is what rushed Brawl's development at the very end, leaving cut content on the disc. Let's hope for the best, meaning, "whenever Sakurai needs it to be done."

SonicFlash

Smash Rookie
God.

Super smash brothers will be released when I get in highschool? ;-;

My childhood is being ruined.
I'm going in 8th grade (even though I am 14) (I got held back once in 2nd grade)

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I've heard a lot of people predicting that smash 4 will get delayed, which is a terrible assumption. Quite a few games get delayed, but it's not like delays are planned or anything. That being said I don't expect the game to come out until late 2014. The longer they work on it the more characters that can be included. I've been waiting since 2007 for this game, I can wait 4-5 extra months to get more content. Plus the holiday season is a great time for games to be released. I'm excited as all living balls but if they can only fit say 42 characters in the time span if they release it in the summer, but 47 if they release during the holiday, I'm all for it getting released later. That being said I don't want to wait forever, and if it is released in 2015 I will be pretty disappointed.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that it'll come out in october-ish.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
You're talking about a franchise whose last game had not 1, but 2 delays. They need all the time they can get. This game has only been in development since Kid Icarus got done. And it shows.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It might come out in the summer or even earlier. It all depends. I think the issue is making all the content. They obviously have the system in place. The matches work. The stages and characters they showed looked complete. The problem is the rest of it. There are two games with two sets of stages. Even though we saw a lot of stages, we only saw 6 for Wii U and 7 for the 3DS (though the DK and Fire Emblem stages, we have seen less off. We've only seen matches for 5 of them). Villager and WFT also don't have 3DS screenshots up yet. They may still have to be ported over. Outside of what we've seen, we have no idea what else they have done. There will be a good amount of content for both games, so it may take longer.

They pushed brawl back a few times didnt they?
Once for Sonic. The other time was just a week in Japan.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
God.

I'm going in 8th grade (even though I am 14) (I got held back once in 2nd grade)
I was a little kid when I got Melee in 2001. I was throtting around in 7th grade when Brawl was announced. Now I'm a full fledged adult ready for a job and all that kind of bogus, and who knows how my life will look when SSB4 releases?

Funny thing though, I feel exactly the same about this game as I did with Brawl back then, still as excited for news, still wishing for Ridley as much as I did back then. Some things never change I guess.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
God.

I was a little kid when I got Melee in 2001. I was throtting around in 7th grade when Brawl was announced. Now I'm a full fledged adult ready for a job and all that kind of bogus, and who knows how my life will look when SSB4 releases?

Funny thing though, I feel exactly the same about this game as I did with Brawl back then, still as excited for news, still wishing for Ridley as much as I did back then. Some things never change I guess.
Brawl was released when I was in college. You kids.

SonicFlash

Smash Rookie
I was almost 10 when brawl was released. XD
I hated that young link didn't appear.

I didn't hear about the game (because I didn't have internet then)
until my sisters ex boyfriend told me about it and I had to get the game.

Sadly, It took me 5 months to get my hands on it. and I got it by early 2009.

Funny thing is I had melee before brawl. and for some reason I used to roleplay with the mario characters on that game.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
It released on holiday '08 in Europe, for some reason. It was actually quite a handicap for the first year for us.
/salt
I don't know how you would think that June is holiday season, but whatever.

I've been waiting since 2007 for this game
So, you were waiting for this game before Brawl even came out? Why not wait for Smash5 then?

Look. All they've been saying is that it will release in 2014. No need to speculate about delays yet lol. How can you talk about a delay if you don't have a release date to begin with? Also, most of the trailers shown for E3 were games that will come out this year or early 2014. So it's quite reasonable to think that it might come out during spring 2014 again.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Development is, if nothing else, unpredictable. I'm not sure they know when in 2014 they're going to be done yet so it seems odd that we could make any better guess at it. If things go smoothly, it will be earlier. If not, it will be later. It's best not to try to glean any more information than that from it.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
Taking into consideration that this is a sequel (so basic game design, controlls, the whole smash formula is already established) I couldnt see them taking much longer than June 2014 to complete the game.

HOWEVER, take into account that there will be online play, and past games have had trouble with balancing. They could easily spend months tweaking, pollishing, and testing online so the experience is great (as someone whos played playstation allstars, bad online is worse than no online)

They could also balance the game for some time, from the characters to gamemodes, making sure easy is easy enough and very hard is just possible with every character.

So although it could be "done" by june, it wouldnt surprise me if it was more like Sep - Nov

Hong

The Strongest
It is important to keep in mind that a Smash Bros game has never been developed like this before. A lot of Brawl's staff were thrown together for that particular project, and some of them had little experience. Now Nintendo has granted Masahiro Sakurai the ability to bring in basically any talent he wants, granted that they are willing. Namco Bandai is both enthused to be given this privilege, and more than anything they want to prove to Nintendo and gamers the world over that they can do this. They have offered, to Nintendo, some of the greatest artists, designers and masterminds in their company, including some well-proven veterans in the industry. I know what we have seen is far from a final product, but the fact the characters are essentially updated from Brawl helps, and having a unified pool for both platforms is a tremendous boon in alleviating stagnation of proper attention.

That said, stuff happens. You can say "This is great! Let's put this in the game!", but after three months, you grow increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of having it in your product. Honestly I rather have the product too late than too early, and hope we don't get complete disasters like Meta Knight and people humping the ledge.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
God.

I know the feeling. I'm 15 myself, I hope it releases early 2014 because I'll still be a junior, if it releases late 2014 I'll be a senior and I'll only have one full semester left to play with people in high school that I know. I joined Smashboards in early '08 to play with people on Brawl online, but quickly lost interest and stopped playing until last summer when I got back into Melee. On one hand I wish I remembered the password to that account so I could wave around my join date e-peen, but on the other hand there were a lot of damn stupid posts I made when I was 10. Oh well, I don't think anyone here is too judgmental of new users.

On topic, obviously hoping for an early 2014 release. January 1, 2014 would be ideal but somehow I don't see that happening.

Top Bottom