• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Hyrule Hangout - Sheik Social

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Yoshi is also important, she brings trouble to Sheik

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yoshi, Rosalina, Sonic, and Pikachu seem to be the 4 most important characters to discuss tbh cuz very few know the matchup against those.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yo guys, I just saw something interesting that I can't test right now. Sheik vs. Diddy (AoD vs. Angel Cortes), and the Sheik did dthrow to usmash at 0% and it looked like a true combo; the Diddy was DIing up and towards Sheik however, so he ended up directly above Sheik which allowed tipper usmash to connect.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Which characters is bouncing fish guaranteed out of a grab release? I didnt see anything on it in the AT thread.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Which characters is bouncing fish guaranteed out of a grab release? I didnt see anything on it in the AT thread.
Grab release? That's interesting, never heard of it before. The standard is fthrow to bouncing fish, and it works on the entire cast at 0% and then depending on size/floatiness stops at mid percents. Jigglypuff, g&w, mario bros, etc stop getting combod at maybe 20-40% and heavies can be combod up until 70% or even higher. Its also extremely rage dependent.

Reizilla

Right, those are good, but that's all low percent damage racking. Grab release to fish could be a guaranteed kill at the right percents, especially if you catch them near the or off the ledge, and rage could only help. Might be worth looking into.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think it was already tested / not conclusive earlier on by @Thinkaman and @Amazing Ampharos. Marth is able to get away with it as his up-b is sub 10 frames. While Bouncing Fish at a mid-range is around 15 (just by a general guess here with how I react to it).
It could very well not be real, but if it is, it would be on similar characters that Marth is able to grab release up-b on.

Last edited:

Reizilla

I see. Well I was doing it a bunch to a Luigi the other day, so I assumed it worked. Maybe he just never figured it out, and I dont have a game to test it out on for myself.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Do these inputs......

Dash> pivot into the opposite direction> hold for a split second> return the analog to a neutral state> input dtilt

There you have it, sliding dtilt.
I give you, Sheik on ice.

BnW Lock

Smash Cadet
Hey Sheiks whats up I used to play that dumb chimp Diddy Kong but ever since he got trashed and he sucks now I heard Sheik was the best so I'm maining Sheik now. Just letting you all know.

Ascen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ascendtothetop
Hey Sheiks whats up I used to play that dumb chimp Diddy Kong but ever since he got trashed and he sucks now I heard Sheik was the best so I'm maining Sheik now. Just letting you all know.
I'm sure you'll have...a lot of fun...with Sheik, then, if that's your attitude.

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
Hey all, just thought I'd drop in here. Not much to say other than I'm a newbie member who's looking to improve my skills with Sheik :)

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Hey all, just thought I'd drop in here. Not much to say other than I'm a newbie member who's looking to improve my skills with Sheik :)
Cool beans. Welcome, and enjoy your stay. Lots of people are here willing to help newer players out, so don't hesitate to ask for advice.

BnW Lock

Smash Cadet
I'm sure you'll have...a lot of fun...with Sheik, then, if that's your attitude.
Lol good one haha if we wanted to have fun i'd go to six flags, i play to win. Not like it's very hard to when we play as the very best am i right or what haha?

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
yo
anyone know how long in frames does each taunt last? just a random thought
uptaunt is weird when you go immediately into side taunt, just stands up early

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I know that BF used this way is rarely a good idea, but damn if it isn't stupidly fun when you're able to get a kill with it. Probably my favorite thing to go for as Sheik, and as a result I go for it way too often.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Actually a lot of the time its a really good idea @ exnecross exnecross . I use that a lot especially against characters like Rosalina, Pit, and Rob with really linear recovery. You have enough time to anfle/aim it to clip their recovery and its amazing as a mixup and can catch them offguard.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
Actually a lot of the time its a really good idea @ exnecross exnecross . I use that a lot especially against characters like Rosalina, Pit, and Rob with really linear recovery. You have enough time to anfle/aim it to clip their recovery and its amazing as a mixup and can catch them offguard.
I do agree with the mixup potentially catching them off guard, however they have a lot of time to react. Just dropping down/jumping into a BF is a lot quicker to do.

I've yet to pull off that double BF thing against R&L, hope I can get it at some point.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I actually have quite a bit of trouble against Link; I definitely don't think it's a MU issue, though. Any tips?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I actually have quite a bit of trouble against Link; I definitely don't think it's a MU issue, though. Any tips?
Link is heavy so fair combos will get you far; even though he has a frame 3 nair, it's not as bad as mario/luigi/yoshi, so he can still be combo'd hard. Bouncing Fish will take you far, even in neutral, should Link decide to throw an arrow or a boomerang. You can punish all grounded projectiles with bouncing fish. Smart Links on the other hand would try approaching with jumping boomerang/arrows/nair, all of which can be punishable by bouncing fish also. And you can punish landings with needles easily.

His recovery is very linear and his tether is bad from what I can tell. It can be interrupted by (aerial) needles really easily so try doing that.

Player-3

Smash Hero
I think it was already tested / not conclusive earlier on by @Thinkaman and @Amazing Ampharos. Marth is able to get away with it as his up-b is sub 10 frames. While Bouncing Fish at a mid-range is around 15 (just by a general guess here with how I react to it).
It could very well not be real, but if it is, it would be on similar characters that Marth is able to grab release up-b on.
wait is this a thing shaya are you pulling my leg can i really gr fish ppl

Zero Requiem

Smash Apprentice
Full hop needles to bait air dodges and bouncing fish afterwards is god like. I also like drop zone bouncing fish with the right read, I find myself using it like a meta knight shuttle loop lulz.

Oh and F**** Yoshi

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
Not sure if this should go in the Q&A thread, but this question isn't really asking for help or tips, so I suppose I'll ask it here.

So I decided to lurk around some of the other character boards out of boredom and when I got to a specific thread, someone said that their main is the best character (in terms of potential and viability in competitive play), and Sheik is only higher placed because she's apparently "easy to use", in their words. I won't mention any names or this specific character to avoid searching possibilities, although based on what I've said, you guys would have probably guessed which character I'm referring to. :p

Based on my personal experience, I've never felt that it was overly difficult to pick up Sheik. It certainly wasn't easy either, but through testing and using other characters briefly, I've found that my play style is heavily influenced by comboing and aerial game (and I perform better with faster/lighter characters in general), so perhaps this may be partially why, for me, Sheik is the most comfortable character for me to use.

But anyways, what are your thoughts on the perception that Sheik is "easy to use"? I know that the gist of it is that she has both a high skill floor and ceiling, but I'm interested in everyone's input on this topic.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Not sure if this should go in the Q&A thread, but this question isn't really asking for help or tips, so I suppose I'll ask it here.

So I decided to lurk around some of the other character boards out of boredom and when I got to a specific thread, someone said that their main is the best character (in terms of potential and viability in competitive play), and Sheik is only higher placed because she's apparently "easy to use", in their words. I won't mention any names or this specific character to avoid searching possibilities, although based on what I've said, you guys would have probably guessed which character I'm referring to. :p

Based on my personal experience, I've never felt that it was overly difficult to pick up Sheik. It certainly wasn't easy either, but through testing and using other characters briefly, I've found that my play style is heavily influenced by comboing and aerial game (and I perform better with faster/lighter characters in general), so perhaps this may be partially why, for me, Sheik is the most comfortable character for me to use.

But anyways, what are your thoughts on the perception that Sheik is "easy to use"? I know that the gist of it is that she has both a high skill floor and ceiling, but I'm interested in everyone's input on this topic.
Not telling us who said it or what character it is (although i'm certain it's Pikachu) is EXTREMELY annoying. Please don't do that. Please tell us who and what character. It's not like we'll start hating that person or whatever. I really don't see the point in hiding that information.

Anyway, I know many people disagree and this will probably come off as biased, but Sheik is not easy to use for the average player. An experienced player can pick up Sheik and do well but that's primarily due to the player's own fundamentals and probably because they already know how Sheik works also. Not all players have the fundamentals to pick up Sheik and do well with her because she requires precision with her fast falls, aerials, and need to know how to best optimize needles and when to rush down and when not to, and also assess each situation and the best approach to go for because Sheik has plenty of options. ZeRo playing Sheik is the prime example of a Sheik based purely on fundamentals; you can tell he doesn't play the character or knows much about her percents etc.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Something I like a lot about ZeRo's Sheik is the falling up airs he incorporates into combos. He'll do a fair string and then fast fall uair into a grab or some other follow-up, really extending and maximizing his damage. He'll also falling uair after an ftilt even to get more guaranteed follow-ups than a juggle position.

Something I've noticed some Sheiks doing recently is fthrow -> vanish as opposed to dthrow -> vanish. Think this is an interesting bait because people will air dodge to avoid a potential jump -> bouncing fish follow-up. It's kinda a different version of the dthrow trap, which is less common because you can trap the air dodge by feinting an up air and then double jumping to connect the up air.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Thanks to ZeRo we got a Major tourney win for Sheik.
Zero repping Sheik was very bad to watch. It's clear his Sheik is purely fundamentals and he doesn't actually know the character well. Very apparent when you see him play.
Something I like a lot about ZeRo's Sheik is the falling up airs he incorporates into combos. He'll do a fair string and then fast fall uair into a grab or some other follow-up, really extending and maximizing his damage. He'll also falling uair after an ftilt even to get more guaranteed follow-ups than a juggle position.
Nietono has done that in apex and I've been doing it for a while, it's not new but not used by many sheiks.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Zero repping Sheik was very bad to watch. It's clear his Sheik is purely fundamentals and he doesn't actually know the character well. Very apparent when you see him play.

Nietono has done that in apex and I've been doing it for a while, it's not new but not used by many sheiks.
Umm last time I check ZeRo main sheik and he has stated it many times, he just plays sheik really different then other sheiks and it's paying off, he's really good in the neutral and utilizes single needle very effectively.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Umm last time I check ZeRo main sheik and he has stated it many times, he just plays sheik really different then other sheiks and it's paying off, he's really good in the neutral and utilizes single needle very effectively.
Sheik is really good in neutral so I kinda don't really see your point. He's not playing Sheik really different from others. His Sheik is extremely basic and purely fundamentals, you can tell he's not using any Sheik kill setup whatsoever and all his kills are punishing air dodges (reads) with uair or getting them to 180% and killing them off the side with fair.

I don't care what Zero says but his Sheik was really lackluster and he won't get away with it in evo if he plays the same way he was in CEO. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but not a great Sheik from what I've seen. What's really carrying him is his fundamentals which are way better than the rest of the players and that's why he's winning.

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I have to disagree, Zero knows Sheik pretty well, he doesn't need to do flashy stuff to know the character

Top Bottom