• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How was your first day at Smashboards? Any memories?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So when you first joined Smashboards, whether be 5 years ago or 5 days ago, how did you find it? Did you meet anybody or did you feel nervous? Do you have any nice memories of SB or bad ones?

Feel free to talk about how you first found it and any changes that have happened since then.

If any moderators have a problem with this my apologies.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I asked where Tap Jump was on a GameCube Controller.
You tell me how you think my first day was...I knew no terminology and no strategy and had no skill.

At least I know some terminology now right? ;)

(@Chis: What happened to Sonic bud?)

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sonic's still my #1 but I thought it would be good to have a change every now and then.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I made a thread in the M&G section, I learned a bunch of new stuff, and that's it.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I think I was high at the time, but I seem to recall posting as many threads as I humanly could about Pichu for.. some reason. And then some stuff about Sonic not being good or.. something. Ugh.

I was 14 at the time. I think. Christ, it's all an nasty hazey blur and I wish I never started out as such a dolt. ._.

Not that I've changed much.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Ah, the memories. I joined SWF after I heard about it when I first translated some of Sakurai's Japanese blog. Sakurai basically said that "not all characters from Melee are returning to Brawl," and that was huge news for a ton of people. Essentially, it was the first real news we had in a year after Brawl's trailer was first released. After I posted about it on GameFAQs, nobody believed me. They all thought I was some stupid troll making things up, and only a couple people trusted me (until later when others who could read Japanese confirmed my translation). One of the few people that was actually receptive in the thread said "You should post this on smashboards, they seem like they'd respond better to this." A quick google search later brought me to SWF, where I promptly made a thread on the issue in the General Brawl Discussion. It got stickied, stuff happened, my translations continued, and I've been a part of the community ever since.

<3 nostalgia.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
OMG Panda, I even remember your thread now. Was it before becoming a moderator?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
The only notable thing I can remember is making a comment about Wario not being as well recieved as other newcomers due to not being based on Wario Land. You can guess how I felt when Wario's alt costume was confirmed.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I was seeing what AT I missed in Melee before Brawl came out. And there was the Panel De Pon thread. <3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I came here to "campaign" for Geno for Brawl. I had just recently come back from Japan after going to Nintendo's HQ in Kyoto and attempting to drop off the "Geno Portfolio" as part of "Operation: Star of Heaven", a document about 26 pages long (13 pages in English, 13 in Japanese) made by me and 10 other Geno fans trying to convince Nintendo to make Geno a playable character. I ended up getting stopped by a security guard and had to mail it when I was in Tokyo. I traveled around Japan for about a week and a half so, no, I didn't go to Japan just for that... Geno fans on here and Game FAQs were talking about what I did so I decided to make accounts on both sites to stay in contact with them and create a sort of "Geno network" between Smash Boards, Game FAQs, and Nsider. As you may notice, I still have Geno in my sig. I've been working for his return since 2004 and I started "campaigning" for him in a Smash Bros game July 2005 after Iwata pseudo announced a new Smash Bros game for the Wii at E3 05.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Why were Youko and someone elses post deleted? Was it because of the maintenance?

hectichobo

Smash Ace
oh em gee.. what a bad day.. i got yelled at alot and got like 4 marks for quadruple or more posts and minor spam...

M@v

Subarashii!
1st came and introduced myself, didnt post very much, mainly read. Starting posting more after a couple months, reintroduced myself since i didnt post much.

Peeze

Smash Master
I asked what a wavedash is. And that is how i was introduced to melee at's.
A year later i lost my pool room virginity.
Now 2 years later i finally have access to the Broom, you just cant see my grimer...cuz its invisible

PCHU

Smash Lord
People misinterpreted my post, and I got rather ticked off.

Ever since then I've been everyone's punching bag: blaming spam and random crap on me.

But hey, I've made good points, gotten two sigs (like two quotes in other peoples' sigs), and I've made my presence known to some.

I found out I'm pretty good.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
My first day here was about 5 years ago. I argued with umbreon mow about mewtwo. I said something along the lines of "m2 is really good. maybe u just dont kno how to play him. venom is like totally awesome for m2 and he can beat anyone there. lol. ur not a good m2 main if you dont like him."

I'm glad I made a new account after my year long break.

XACE-K

Smash Master
My time looking in here was I found this site because of google and I started looking around. I learned the Melee Ats on here and practiced them. Then when I was bored one day in October, I made an account on here and that's what happened.

I don't know what I posted but it was probably in the GBD before it became noob and spam infested.

slave1

Smash Lord
i tried reading a bunch of things to catch up. then said screw it. and i bet it was fall when i joined. possibly during summer. dont remember. i was working at the time so i know it was around that time.

Omis

my friends were skinny
I posted in the Pit boards about using his up b on the ground thinking it was new. I also begged not to be flamed because of how I was so used to it on gamefaqs.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I can't remember for the life of me, but I'm sure it was pretty stupid.

This place was purty different, as you might imagine.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I lurked for like a week to figure out if my Melee main was any good. A week later, I mained Falco.

But I didn't really post here much until they set up the character boards for Brawl. I'v

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
ahhh.....It all began when I came and visited smashboards and looked around for 1 year (If I joined then, I would have been an 06er). I finally joined and started to talk in Sariku's "Daily Dojo thread" (that was an awesome thread BTW, does anyone remember it?). From there I visited all over SWF.

the memories.....

-:bowser:Bowser King

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Started coming here, since it had more interesting info, when Sakurai started posting info about Brawl. The first day, I found out Kirby was considered low tier in Melee, and spent several hours laughing (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit...).

Good times.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I finally joined and started to talk in Sariku's "Daily Dojo thread" (that was an awesome thread BTW, does anyone remember it?).
Ahhh, its all comming back to me.
Ah, the memories. I joined SWF after I heard about it when I first translated some of Sakurai's Japanese blog. Sakurai basically said that "not all characters from Melee are returning to Brawl," and that was huge news for a ton of people. Essentially, it was the first real news we had in a year after Brawl's trailer was first released. After I posted about it on GameFAQs, nobody believed me. They all thought I was some stupid troll making things up, and only a couple people trusted me (until later when others who could read Japanese confirmed my translation). One of the few people that was actually receptive in the thread said "You should post this on smashboards, they seem like they'd respond better to this." A quick google search later brought me to SWF, where I promptly made a thread on the issue in the General Brawl Discussion. It got stickied, stuff happened, my translations continued, and I've been a part of the community ever since.
I'm not even kidding, I remember that thread!!! I think thats what got me here too!!! I thought you were like some divine being sent from heaven to translate the sweet nectar that are Sakurai's words. Then I heard the real SamuraiPanda on SMYN and felt a little let down...
I kid i kid. lol

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
hmm... funny, I first stumbled upon Smashboards when I came across a site that had a guide for Melee's AR, and on that a page it had a link which linked here.

ah..I remember at the time I joined there was so much hype due to the Brawl trailer that was released, so much HYPE of it, those were good times.

some good threads in 07' were:

SamuraiPanda's: Sakurai Translations (EPIC)
Sariku's: Daily Dojo update
Which chatracters are most likely to return?
Kraid's: Sonic Blue Blur's In, Red's Suck it

just to name a few...

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I was under a different username, and really can't remember much. I got here trying to find a way to play other people in Melee.

I do remember posting under the Meet & Greet, saying I've been playin' Melee for a little while.

Top Bottom