• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol the Hell? That reminds me of last night when I was standing one plat length from the edge vs spider_sense, I jumped and did aerial side-b edge cancel into aerial to edgeguard him. So stupid lol (edit: not saying your idea is stupid).

Edit: Jason and I are def talking about getting some recording equipment. Hundreds of insane dittos are merely a memory lol

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yoyo PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle pls do pseudo dash > reverse moonwalk off platform > ff dj gerudo dragon ledge cancel on battlefield pls. I want the dream movement but having trouble on timing
I can definitely try that. Nice thought, I've only ever moonwalk --> DJ --> top plat perfect waveland --> pivot side-b edge cancel on side plat --> DJ --> waveland on side plat --> moonwalk ff ledge grab :troll:

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
for ledgehop upair regrab ledge, I use the c-stick to let go of ledge on one frame, hit up on control stick to jump for the second frame, and while still holding up on the control stick, I hit Z, which makes me upair.

You can string this all together pretty fast and I find it to be the easiest method for myself. You can even move in the air a bit with this method.
Never thought of this. I can do the other 2 just fine but I like this the most after thinking about it.

PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle calm down Joe LOL

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Slam away, immediately roll to up, slam c-up. All one motion.
So this worked. Thanks.

But why do I not see this very often in the gameplay you guys post if y'all can do it? How practical is this tech? I would think **** like this would be abused.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
So this worked. Thanks.

But why do I not see this very often in the gameplay you guys post if y'all can do it? How practical is this tech? I would think **** like this would be abused.
I use it when I remember, which isn't a lot. It's almost always been succesful, too, so I have no idea why I don't use it more. It's really good for when you're hanging on the ledge and your opponent still has their double jump. Most of the time, they'll jump on stage. I typically just ledge hop up air in this scenario, but the regrab is better for obvious reasons.

Nice for when marth gets used to your eikeldrops.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
When is that useful again? No offense. I think I've only used it once to cover a roll/spot-dodge option once.

tm

Smash Ace
I got a puff with dair edgeguard from edge canceled sideB on yoshis once. I think n0ne does it in his YT set vs idea

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Went almost all Fox in singles at my local today, and mostly Fox in doubles. Did go Ganon for a few games in doubles LSFs so I'll post those here when they're uploaded, but overall I don't think I'm gonna be going much Ganon in the future. I don't have the patience to deal with all those bad MUs :( I'll probably still pull him out in doubles (which I'm gonna focus on in the future) here or there, and maybe for some MUs in singles.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
My brain is so hard wired to play Ganon in the puff matchup that I can't play any other characters in that matchup. I'm dedicated to beating puffs in the future with Ganon. It's really ****ing hard to do and the mental pressure is insane unless you lhave a lead, but it can be done. You just gotta be zen and abuse the **** out of auto-canceled aerials.

Coastward

Smash Lord
you guys just need to play the matchup more, i dont mind it much anymore and it doesnt feel hard unless im playing a godlike puff.

it can be boring af though.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Today at our monthly I entered both doubles and singles and went all Ganondorf.

In doubles, I teamed with Sky, a really solid Fox main who has been PRed in NC before, and we got 3rd place. My goal was to get into Top 3, but I feel like we could have at least gotten second. I definitely felt like I played pretty well for the most part until the end against Mr. BenReady who played Luigi, and Oso, who played Fox, but they played really well so I gotta give them respect. Definitely want to enter doubles more often :)

In singles, I was aiming to get Top 8, but I was just shy of that, losing to Stingers and Sky. Ah well, that tends to happen in a stacked bracket, but I'm overall happy with how I played today.

I tried to record most of my singles matches but my phone decided to be stupid most of the time and cut-off a lot. I guess I can't reliably record with it, but it's better than nothing really.

I also need more practice in the Peach matchup. I just blow at that matchup and I need to learn how to move in it.

Gonna study Eikelmann vs Stingers until my eyes bleed. God damn he's so good against Ganon and I wanna know how Ian did it X_X

Last edited:

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
So I've tested nair a bit, and it seems completely safe on shield if you autocancel it. This can easily lead into a grab or jabs to bait out a roll. It also seems as a really strong option at low percents as a punish. On puff downthrow nair deals a consistant 29% from a grab at 0%.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You shouldn't count on nair hitting both hits every time. Uair is the answer, especially pivot uair for DI behind (bair becomes safe after a while, spacing it is key). Around 50 or so (can't remember) spaced fair is legit.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yo I did 15 of those ledge hop uair. Pretty much my thought process learning this tech. "**** you Peach, Falcon, Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Puff" Can't wait to start murking sheiks with this and then afterwards say "GG's from 20GT" :denzel:

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
What about nair on shield though? I've never seen it being used before, yet it should provide decent pressure and shield damage. There's only like 5-6 frames after the 2nd hit that ganon is actionable again, and i think it yields more shieldstun than that.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
My record for the Ledgehop uair to ledge is 8 now. I never mess it up the first attempt of a string. Once I get it to 20 I'll consider it something I've learned. That's the magic number most tech imo.

Here we go again with that Puff BS just a few days after ive proven it to be not so bad >_< lol.
So I believe the matchup is not bad, I'm just frustrated that there are few recordings of it being played really well. It makes it much harder to learn than the other relevant matchups.

You say you proved it. How? Through the wins you have that aren't recorded? I suppose that gives the rest of us hope. But that doesn't really prove much about the matchup. It just proves you're a strong player in that matchup.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
What about nair on shield though? I've never seen it being used before, yet it should provide decent pressure and shield damage. There's only like 5-6 frames after the 2nd hit that ganon is actionable again, and i think it yields more shieldstun than that.
Actually Tipman was telling me about how nair can auto cancel if done on the peak of his jump (no fast fall, but Ganon has to be coming down with the nair) it can set you up for jabs and pivot jabs and if they shield then it should be safe on block and you have other frame advantages.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
You can also nair immediately and fastfall right after the 1st kick is finished or so and still get the autocancel, same timing as uair actually.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
New record for the lh uair to ledge is 17.

After this, the only ledge tech left to master will be the pseudodash, which I've only been able to do once. What inputs do yall use for that ****?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
New record for the lh uair to ledge is 17.

After this, the only ledge tech left to master will be the pseudodash, which I've only been able to do once. What inputs do yall use for that ****?
Ledge hop up air to ledge is actually super easy once you get the hang of it IMO. Also pretty easy to recognize when you missed it so you can quickly react with an up-b so you don't fall to your death. I think we should all be implementing this into our game, as it's a VERY non-comital way to gimp falcon / spacies / marth / sheik.

Invincible up air (+ refresh of invincibility).
No up-b necessary after (very safe).
Mutli-option coverge because of the edge hog (possible coverage of air dodge through as well via ledge hop --> grab?).

Yea, let's start using this more.

my personal pseudo dash input (from right side of stage- battlefield / yoshi's):

:GCR: light tap right (drop from ledge)

:GCL: immediate flick toward stage (get above the stage)

:GCR: + :GCRT: flick right + R (waveland off stage), then 1 frame after you get off stage...
:GCL: + :GCY: immediate flick left (like Samus super wavedash timing) + immediate jump (gets you high enough and far enough to the left to be above platform)

:GCL: + :GCRT: waveland in

(below is optional and only necessary on battlefield)

:GCR: --> :GCDL: moonwalk
:GCCR: + :GCD: fastfall + fair.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Yeah, considering I just did it for the first time like two days ago, I'd say this is a pretty easy tech to learn.

Thanks for the inputs. Unfortunately, that's exactly what I've been doing (except I use x instead of y) so it seems I'm just not fast enough. I think I'm going to practice by wavedashing/landing offstage and double jumping to a platform to get the timing down.

Top Bottom