• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Superspright

Smash Lord
You were just being creative, and probably you were focusing purely on them. It's also a stimulant in some ways. It's not intoxicating at all. The only insight I ever gained while playing under the influence was that the game is horribly simple, and I overcomplicate it. I need to just do a few things very well, and I can get very far with my character, but I also realized that I am giving myself too much of a challenge by playing someone whose fundamentals are so hard to do perfectly.

Duskane

Smash Rookie
NNID
Duskane
3DS FC
5386-7118-0052
Also I discovered the other day how easy it is to bend people to your will when you're offstage (talking about spacies). I never really went for unsafe things like fair very often, but when I started just ****ing around with it I was finding I could make my opponent recover low just by throwing out a bunch of **** covering high options earlier in a game. Then I just started covering the low options and I'd go entire games without messing up edgeguards. I think fear is one of the most important tools Ganon has. Influencing someone to do what you want makes the reads so much easier.
well that's how Ganondorf rolls hes not like C.falcon who can run up and start something,Hes all about punishing and mind games why moon walking can be such a big part of playing him and most the time your opponent is running into the hits

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon CAN run up and pressure hard though, which can lead to openings. I think the general idea that Ganon can't approach effectively tends to hold people back.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Ganon CAN run up and pressure hard though, which can lead to openings. I think the general idea that Ganon can't approach effectively tends to hold people back.
I agree. Speaking of which, I'm starting to get consistent with pivot ftilt. Not perfect yet, but pretty close. I think I only need a few more weeks :D

Gandhi Jam

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to figure out alternatives for ganon in neutral besides perfect wavelanding to approach/space. I've been doing SH non FF reverse Uair trying to keep the opponent at ganons toes. Does anyone know if this is actually a thing or can it be punished too easily?

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I've been trying to figure out alternatives for ganon in neutral besides perfect wavelanding to approach/space. I've been doing SH non FF reverse Uair trying to keep the opponent at ganons toes. Does anyone know if this is actually a thing or can it be punished too easily?
Reverse uair can be punished pretty easy unfortunately. I think it's pretty good in neutral vs. Puff though. See what tipman does with that ****.

As for approaches, there are plenty besides waveland. But honestly, most of your approaches will be reads on your opponent's movement or habits. Ganon does not have a lot of safe approaches, and the ones he does have are hard to execute.

I don't really consider this to be approaching, but one of the best strategies you can use is to corner your opponent and then react to a mistake.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Ganondorf ain't **** once they figure you out. That's his issue. If Iam feeling sharp as **** and I am downloading people like I got fiber optic and if I'm not I am just a poor ass dial-up *****. Fundamentals are one issue--the rest is the fact that everyone else does something he does a little bit better, except for his ledge-shenanigans [super ****ing broken].

Honestly, what opponent really makes mistakes anymore? I don't seem to play many who make blatant errors. Tech flubs don't really happen where I am...maybe some spacing errors or something. Cornering people isn't even possible against some people. They just won't concede any space. The second you encroach they are ****ing you up.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ganondorf ain't **** once they figure you out. That's his issue. If Iam feeling sharp as **** and I am downloading people like I got fiber optic and if I'm not I am just a poor *** dial-up *****. Fundamentals are one issue--the rest is the fact that everyone else does something he does a little bit better, except for his ledge-shenanigans [super ****ing broken].

Honestly, what opponent really makes mistakes anymore? I don't seem to play many who make blatant errors. Tech flubs don't really happen where I am...maybe some spacing errors or something. Cornering people isn't even possible against some people. They just won't concede any space. The second you encroach they are ****ing you up.
I dont agree, every single player has openings even the so called godly players. You just need to be aware of them and keep a level head where you have to belief you can defeat anybody.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i feel like every character "ain't ****" once your opponent has figured you, as a player, out. it's up to you to have more layers of mixups than the opponent. once they've figured out one layer, you need to bust out a new layer to **** them up.

ganon has less layers than other characters, but his layers **** people way harder than other characters. the way i see it, you need to wait to unleash your true weapons until it is too late for them to be "figured out".

i will say this about "mistakes". a lot of good players, at least from my experience, will not be able to give you solid advice on how to advance your game. why? because they won't acknowledge the fact they make errors that are exploitable by ganon and they don't know how ganon is suppose to exploit those errors. so they will tell you you can't do anything. and the longer you lose, the more those words will stick to you until you start believing them.

cornering is possible against anyone that you can land a solid hit against. i have yet to play someone i couldn't corner at some point.

Last edited:

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
If I ever start feeling down about Ganon and how he doesn't have as many tools as certain characters, I go play Roy for a few games. Then, suddenly, I realize just how many things ganon can do.

K1KK0M4N

Smash Rookie
How are the quarter circle pivots going guys? Been practicing every day, for the last 2 weeks, and I'm starting to be able to do the low ftilt out of a pivot rather consistently.

A new age for Ganon is coming when we all master this!!

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I'm ****ing around with the idea of going to Miami for a little bit before genesis and then flying out straight from there. Price is kinda high, but not undoable. Whole trip would run me $350 with current pricing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm ****ing around with the idea of going to Miami for a little bit before genesis and then flying out straight from there. Price is kinda high, but not undoable. Whole trip would run me $350 with current pricing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Always try Fort Lauderdale too

edit: that's mid season.... It's always going to be tough. But if you're here... Flying AWAY from Miami in the winter (even to LA) shouldn't be bad

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
20 SECOND VIDEO your stage of choice. Best technicals win. Judging will be decided by how many techs were performed and the difficulty of them.

All submissions in by 10-15-15. all submissions welcome.

cell phone footage allowed. Would actually be cool to see what people come up with if you guys are actually down. Im predicting psuedo dashes? Maybe 2 in a row?
http://youtu.be/pO4aUGgYFEo

LOL

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
That's pretty reasonable considering a Southwest airline flight from Charlotte to San Jose is about $394 round trip.

Damn wish I could do that consistently. Would be useful for edgeguarding mostly.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I can't do that uair regrab ****. I really want to learn it, though. Isn't it like you jump at a slight diagonal angle or something? You gotta show us a video of your fingers doing it or something. That tech is super useful.

I have this vision of the optimal Ganon edgeguarding almost completely from the ledge similar to what hax did with Falcon. I wonder how practical that actually would be...

K1KK0M4N

Smash Rookie
Honestly uair regrab shouldn't be that hard, but for some reason it is lol xD

I can do the knee regrab with falcon pretty consistently, but mess up the uair regrab as Ganon.

Guess it's just all about practice, like everything in this game!

Seriously there's so much tech we can all learn with Ganon, that'll be beneficial and slick af!
Can't wait to take some time off Falcon, and focus entirely on Ganon tech skill!

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I can't do that uair regrab ****. I really want to learn it, though. Isn't it like you jump at a slight diagonal angle or something? You gotta show us a video of your fingers doing it or something. That tech is super useful.

I have this vision of the optimal Ganon edgeguarding almost completely from the ledge similar to what hax did with Falcon. I wonder how practical that actually would be...
Slam away, immediately roll to up, slam c-up. All one motion.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
What I do is just lightly tap the control stick away, then immediately roll to up position and press A. Seems a little easier that way, less precision from your hands at least imo.

Pretty sure it is a frame perfect input, but I'm not sure on that one.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
What I do is just lightly tap the control stick away, then immediately roll to up position and press A. Seems a little easier that way, less precision from your hands at least imo.

Pretty sure it is a frame perfect input, but I'm not sure on that one.
Yeah that's essentially the same thing. If I had to guess, 1 frame of error, solely because it looks to me as if there are two heights at which Ganon regrabs the ledge. One looks normal, and one looks like he is almost too low but still grabs.

I tend to use c-stick for almost every aerial, but my the speed of my thumb is limited to being FP from a normal jumpsquat. So after hitting X I can get to c-up within 4-6 frames-ish, not nearly fast enough for doing it from a dj lol.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
for ledgehop upair regrab ledge, I use the c-stick to let go of ledge on one frame, hit up on control stick to jump for the second frame, and while still holding up on the control stick, I hit Z, which makes me upair.

You can string this all together pretty fast and I find it to be the easiest method for myself. You can even move in the air a bit with this method.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yeah that's essentially the same thing. If I had to guess, 1 frame of error, solely because it looks to me as if there are two heights at which Ganon regrabs the ledge. One looks normal, and one looks like he is almost too low but still grabs.

I tend to use c-stick for almost every aerial, but my the speed of my thumb is limited to being FP from a normal jumpsquat. So after hitting X I can get to c-up within 4-6 frames-ish, not nearly fast enough for doing it from a dj lol.
Yea, I'm about the same here. I can do quick ac shff up airs with one hand, but sometimes I will analog double jump so I can get an aerial out on time (good for those DJ up airs under the ledge to counterattack shine)

aHarmlessCup

Smash Rookie
the method I used was: tap away on control stick to let go of the ledge and as you roll up one notch press A

Edit: shoutout to my thighs for holding the phone

Last edited:
Top Bottom