• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Haunter

Smash Rookie
Played the campiest puff I have literally ever seen. For real you guys are not gonna want to watch that video. But as always, help is greatly appreciated.
TM, when did you lose to Rayquaza? I played him Round 1... It was horrible, I thought I was playing BRAWL. Also well done and GGs, hope to take some games off you next time we meet.

Haunter

Smash Rookie
Played the campiest puff I have literally ever seen. For real you guys are not gonna want to watch that video. But as always, help is greatly appreciated.
TM, when did you lose to Rayquaza? I played him Round 1... It was horrible, I thought I was playing BRAWL. Also well done and GGs, hope to take some games off you next time we meet.

tm

Smash Ace
Wow he has a reputation outside of MI? Also how do I keep accidentally summoning people to the ganon boards???

I played him in winners round 3. Like I said I'll be posting videos during the week. Nice job making it out of pools, your play is solid. Keep it up

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
lol on the topic of s1 challenging ganondorfs to money matches, he challenged me to a $100 money match in some stream about a week ago. wasn't sure if it was serious or not but i guess only time will tell.

seems like michigan produces a lot of very campy players.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I did pretty ****ty at UBS. I feel like my matchups against floaties, sheiks and falcons are solid for a ganon but my spacies matchups are god awful. My only losses are coming from space animals. The biggest problem is punishing off stage spacies correctly. I know how, but suck at execution and flub the edgeguard way too often, which is not an option for ganon in either mu. The next biggest is probably just experience vs. spacies. None of the people I train against play spacies. It's been fantastic for developing my good matchups, but it's really hurting me on this front.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I went to Civil War this past weekend and played friendlies the entire time because I didn't have the money to enter.

There were a couple of other Ganondorfs there, but I was able to tell that I was the best one there, or at least the one with the best/most tech skill. It was nice seeing some Ganon mains in Virginia, albeit a few of them didn't perform too well. Basically every Ganon ditto I played I won, good thing I understand the character pretty well. One thing that was rather cool is I teched every single dair that my Ganon opponent did and lived, that was a nice thing since it felt like a natural reaction than a forced one. It was especially nice to hear behind me a few times "This guy's Ganon is really good. I mean really good." Admittedly, most of these comments came from new to mediocre players, but it was still nice to hear some gratitude. I also played Falcon a bunch in friendlies and there were times where I was destroying my opponent. This one Falcon main there said "His Falcon is better" which I'm still going to have to disagree with. I just play a really janky Falcon and I don't techchase well at all.

Nonetheless, I played as many best of 3 sets at Civil War as I could. I won most, if not all of them against new to mediocre players, but of course I lost to the well known players there. I ended up playing Chillindude (got him down to two stocks twice on Yoshi's with Ganon, he was rather surprised by my Ganon, so getting approval from him felt really nice). I played Nintendude and got real experience for what a good ICs player is like (didn't wobble me but damn, keeping my distance is hard.) I also played SS | Soft a bit, and it was actually some of the more closer matches that I played. I got him down to one stock a few times, and he told me that Ganon can win the matchup, which made me feel confident. I also pulled out my Young Link to see how good of a counter pick he would be and I got him down to 1 stock once again with YL. I got to play PP's Marth a whole bunch on Saturday night since we got to sleep at Toms' house. I got consistently 3-4 stocked each game. I basically couldn't do anything. He did tell me to ftilt less and jab more (I would think he is right cause jab comes out in 3 frames, I definitely could use it more) and he also told me how to DI when he comboed me.

I also learned while playing Chillindude that if you smash the control stick in the direction you would DI during the frames you get hit (aka SDI) then you get sent way less far than you normally do. Chillin was hitting me with fair a whole bunch as Fox and I just kept SDIing each hit, and I barely went anywhere at 140+%. I definitely want to try to implement this more.

I learned a good few things, but I definitely want to get better and more consistent, especially with my Falcon. I'm definitely thinking of incorporating a claw style to play Falcon, since the standard way I hold the controller is good enough for Ganon.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
it's the opposite for me. I am good against spacies, i don't know how, i jsut read them a lot. Maybe it is their recoveries and linear moves,... i dunno. I would have more problems with marth or samus then falco or fox. Captain falcon always remains dangerous since he is a combo ***** lol
I did pretty ****ty at UBS. I feel like my matchups against floaties, sheiks and falcons are solid for a ganon but my spacies matchups are god awful. My only losses are coming from space animals. The biggest problem is punishing off stage spacies correctly. I know how, but suck at execution and flub the edgeguard way too often, which is not an option for ganon in either mu. The next biggest is probably just experience vs. spacies. None of the people I train against play spacies. It's been fantastic for developing my good matchups, but it's really hurting me on this front.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I went to Civil War this past weekend and played friendlies the entire time because I didn't have the money to enter.

There were a couple of other Ganondorfs there, but I was able to tell that I was the best one there, or at least the one with the best/most tech skill. It was nice seeing some Ganon mains in Virginia, albeit a few of them didn't perform too well. Basically every Ganon ditto I played I won, good thing I understand the character pretty well. One thing that was rather cool is I teched every single dair that my Ganon opponent did and lived, that was a nice thing since it felt like a natural reaction than a forced one. It was especially nice to hear behind me a few times "This guy's Ganon is really good. I mean really good." Admittedly, most of these comments came from new to mediocre players, but it was still nice to hear some gratitude. I also played Falcon a bunch in friendlies and there were times where I was destroying my opponent. This one Falcon main there said "His Falcon is better" which I'm still going to have to disagree with. I just play a really janky Falcon and I don't techchase well at all.

Nonetheless, I played as many best of 3 sets at Civil War as I could. I won most, if not all of them against new to mediocre players, but of course I lost to the well known players there. I ended up playing Chillindude (got him down to two stocks twice on Yoshi's with Ganon, he was rather surprised by my Ganon, so getting approval from him felt really nice). I played Nintendude and got real experience for what a good ICs player is like (didn't wobble me but damn, keeping my distance is hard.) I also played SS | Soft a bit, and it was actually some of the more closer matches that I played. I got him down to one stock a few times, and he told me that Ganon can win the matchup, which made me feel confident. I also pulled out my Young Link to see how good of a counter pick he would be and I got him down to 1 stock once again with YL. I got to play PP's Marth a whole bunch on Saturday night since we got to sleep at Toms' house. I got consistently 3-4 stocked each game. I basically couldn't do anything. He did tell me to ftilt less and jab more (I would think he is right cause jab comes out in 3 frames, I definitely could use it more) and he also told me how to DI when he comboed me.

I also learned while playing Chillindude that if you smash the control stick in the direction you would DI during the frames you get hit (aka SDI) then you get sent way less far than you normally do. Chillin was hitting me with fair a whole bunch as Fox and I just kept SDIing each hit, and I barely went anywhere at 140+%. I definitely want to try to implement this more.

I learned a good few things, but I definitely want to get better and more consistent, especially with my Falcon. I'm definitely thinking of incorporating a claw style to play Falcon, since the standard way I hold the controller is good enough for Ganon.
man, you shoulda seen the stream chat. a bunch of people were spamming your name and wouldnt shut up lmao.

a lot of people say that the ganon vs puff MU is bad, but i enjoy playing it. i dont find it as hard as his other difficult MUs. maybe i haven't played a really good puff yet. pretty unfortunate you couldnt enter though, coulda gotten one of those kickass swords.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Puff vs Ganon is weird, but not bad. She still dies early.
agreed. You have to play a very spaced out game. I find backwards up airs doing double ones in the air is a good spacing tactic(your back is to the puff). I really don't relish getting rested

Superspright

Smash Lord
agreed. You have to play a very spaced out game. I find backwards up airs doing double ones in the air is a good spacing tactic(your back is to the puff). I really don't relish getting rested
Yeah, if you do it right you can scoot around the bair, and retreating fairs trade with bairs...I just think the match-up is more campy than even Peach versus Ganondorf because of the lack of projectiles in the match-up and both having strong walling moves.

Linguini

Smash Master
I've beaten pretty much all the climbers out there including chu, nintendude, and uberice. I haven't played the matchup in so long that i've forgotten alot though. Need to sit down with an icees and play for like 10 matches (the max before I get bored cuz icees suck lolz)

Last time I playd uberice I lot because I forgot to play more grounded. Playing an aerial game against icees is good to a certain extent. It's kinda like the luigi matchup imo. 50-50 I would say. maybe 55-45 because sopo has a true cg on ganon.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I think you're insane for agreeing to Corneria, and even more insane for CP'ing Poke.

edit: and not banning FD
i wanted to try to pull off a gimpyfish on corneria, and i feel really comfortable on stadium vs falcon.

and i initally banned fd, but for some reason i banned dreamland instead. i dont know why i did that, like that was the dumbest thing i did that day.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
in my very negative opinion, jiggs ganondorf is not winnable and soft is just bad vs ganondorf/other heavy gimmicky characters/rock crock is flawless.

anyone that says that matchup is winnable hasn't played hungrybox with ganondorf before.

in otherwords, i won a local house tournament today beating out fzero (falcon player) and darк sonic. idk how i ever beat good people.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Man I've been saying that matchup was BS for years!!!! it is Ganon's 3rd worse at a MINIMUM. fox/sheik are the only ones more difficult, and sometimes jiggs seems even worse (is their something we haven't figured out?)

One thing is for sure. VS Jiggs the importance of the neutral game is absolutely through the roof. Offstage play hardly even exists. Winning exchanges and "don't get hit" become both extremely important and a huge challenge and it's hard to stay a step ahead of jiggs with all that mobility...

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Man I've been saying that matchup was BS for years!!!! it is Ganon's 3rd worse at a MINIMUM. fox/sheik are the only ones more difficult, and sometimes jiggs seems even worse (is their something we haven't figured out?)

One thing is for sure. VS Jiggs the importance of the neutral game is absolutely through the roof. Offstage play hardly even exists. Winning exchanges and "don't get hit" become both extremely important and a huge challenge and it's hard to stay a step ahead of jiggs with all that mobility...
yeah. You have to play the most patient game ever. I think in this match backwards flip kicks are your friend due to the range. and high jump them too so you can do double up airs.

tm

Smash Ace
Man I need to upload my match so you can all watch the ****ty puff MU

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'd like to think that any matchup is winnable. It's the mentality that counts. Just cause your character is good doesn't mean that I don't have a chance to outplay you.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/519249411?t=5h20m45s

heres me against arguably the best falcon in the region. i need to stop being impatient, i think that's what threw the set for me, otherwise i woulda had it.
i think you need more follow ups and switch up getting onto stage with wavelands. Very useful, but not all the time.. good for grabbing. And maybe when you throw out forward airs throw in a tilt after the l cancel. It was a good set. I guess this is how i can tell how i play differently. I love putting pressure on shields.

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/519249411?t=5h20m45s

heres me against arguably the best falcon in the region. i need to stop being impatient, i think that's what threw the set for me, otherwise i woulda had it.
Come to Troy for Ganon dittosssss

Anyway you really need to work on your follow ups, I don't think a single Down throw led into anything for you. More U Air, less Wizard Kick. Also I caught it a few times but you can upward angled forward tilts to stuff Falcon's approaches a lot more often. Lastly you were double jumping a little too often for my liking. I understand the utility and probably do it too much myself but it started to get predictable and a better player would stop sitting in shield, bait it and just come up and U air you out of a stock (which kinda happened towards the end of game 3)

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I've honestly never had a problem with puff specifically, unless they were just straight up better than me. I have yet to lose to a puff in tournament who isn't as good as me. Peach, on the other hand, is a different story. I almost lost to a sorta scrubby peach because I don't know the matchup at all and I ended up just having to do basic scrub-killing stuff like baiting shield grabs... lol... can't do that at the high level.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I played soft once. He randomly approached me and another NC Ganon while we were doing ditto's and asked for a MM at a tourney like 6 years ago lmao. He 2 stocked me the first match and then tried to beat me with Ganon? He lost lol. Then 2 stocked me again with puff

Top Bottom