• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

tm

Smash Ace
If they DI the sideB inwards, it leads to a far techchase in which you can't cover every option (or even 3/4). This is the case for at least some %s.

My advice for this particular situation would be to pick a spot and cover it, then get ready to reposition yourself in the case that you were wrong. You most likely won't be able to cover the tech away at all. For missed tech / tech in place a fair would probably be the best option, and dair for the tech in.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Just had the pleasure of playing -ACE-, he's a very solid player who knows his ****, wish we could have had the sets get recorded. Dave is definitely a class A gentleman/scholar.

Also bair is a great aerial to use to poke through shields. You simply just fast fall bair with the tip while hitting the top of most of the character's shields. Coastward you should experiment more with fast fall properties along with the waveland to get some great result. Don't know if you already applied it to your game though, but it's something worth mentioning.

(Ganon's bair target list)
DK cowlick
Peach's crown
Marth's tiara
Samus's visors
Game & Watch, pretty much anwhere obviously. lol
Doctor Mario's head mirror
Mario's/Luigi's hat
Sheik's turban.
Ganon's hair/C-Falcon's helmet. etc...

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
How do you follow up Ganon's side-b the best on fastfallers, when they don't land on a platform?
Hitting a dair seems to only work if they miss tech (which is unlikely to happen, because they have a lot of airtime) and for a bair or a fair they kinda fall to fast..

I could imagine that it works to fake a dair by falling down after them (thus they don't do a get-up attack) and then chase the tech with another side-b or a down-b. Didn't really try that yet though.. any suggestions?
Depends on where they land. You could always try down smash or down tilt. You could get a grab too if you are quick. Low percentage probably cant get the grab. Or just wait to see what they do then go in for a grab or tilt or jab also what tm said is good too. Be prepared , bit dont expect to get stuff off all the time

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo tm, you actually can tech chase when that happens. Get a running start, short hop, fast fall into a perfect waveland and then ftilt them, or regrab if you're close enough. Or I think if you down b, that covers 3/4 options and has more range than side b.

Spidey, glad you got to play Dave! Yea him and Dorsey are some badass dudes, really fun to chill/play with. I remember when you first told me to bair Marth's tiara when I was having trouble with the matchup. Game changer lol

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol thanks Jason you the man. I had blast with you guys. We had some really good games and off stage shenanigans. Good times. Next time I'll bring a controller haha. I should have some time to practice up. See you guys in May.

tm

Smash Ace
Yo tm, you actually can tech chase when that happens. Get a running start, short hop, fast fall into a perfect waveland and then ftilt them, or regrab if you're close enough. Or I think if you down b, that covers 3/4 options and has more range than side b.
Ah yes, i did neglect wavelanding in that situation. D smash would be too far away though (at least in the situation in my head)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If you dair your opponent on stage while they are in the air and they don't tech, they have a high tendency to just roll in the direction away from Ganon. This can easily be followed up by just down-bing after landing from the dair. I do it all the time out of habit.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So it turns out that I knew this guy called S1 in the smash community on an unrelated forum we both frequent but had no idea he played smash and vice versa. So if I make it to fight pitt, we're going to do a money match on stream. I know you've played this guy before tm. Any tips?

Also attending Upstate Battle Series this weekend. Time to actually place decently.

tm

Smash Ace
So it turns out that I knew this guy called S1 in the smash community on an unrelated forum we both frequent but had no idea he played smash and vice versa. So if I make it to fight pitt, we're going to do a money match on stream. I know you've played this guy before tm. Any tips?
Uh, watch recent vids of him. He's pretty standard, has normal tech skill that you should expect from a fox player. He's gonna dair->shine and shine->grab or shine->upsmash when he gets the hit. Make sure if he connects with a shine (or you're in any other situation where he might grab), DI INWARDS so he can't get the upair! Also at high %s make sure you DI away when he upsmashes. Buffer rolls if you get shined in case he messes up.

He has a small habit of sideBing onto stage from near the ledge (at chest level) so watch out for that, you can bair / ftilt it, or roll inwards then grab him after he lands.

He tends to NOT firefox to ledge when other players would (specifically when he is sort of far from the ledge) so keep that in mind.

He doesn't laser camp, but he has a very passive playstyle, and is content just standing / dashdancing there until you do something in neutral. A lot of times I expected him to move, and I went to intercept it but he just stood there and let me whiff, then getting a decent guaranteed punish on me. Or he would be pressuring me, and I would counterattack at the last second, but he ended up just waiting so gets another punish. Similarly, when he is on ledge he will sit there and wait for you to try to cover something before he decides how and when to get up. He tends to get up with one of the ledge options and not with a double jump or waveland.

When he does approach, he almost always does so with a SH nair. Other variations include dair, dash attack, and shine.

His edgeguarding is lacking; when I went low I usually lived, so do that. He gave me ledge several times when I should have died.

His combo, & pressure games are nothing special but if you are too brash or make too many tech errors (or both, like me), he will get the punishes and build up an advantage. So play patient, don't do advancing fairs, and don't try to do anything that you will mess up, or anything else punishable from the neutral game.

yes 7 years old
7 years.
For real though that's a long time

tm

Smash Ace
No prob.

Is this the invasion? Do people just search threads for "S1"?

dkuo

Smash Lord
oh im subbed to this thread believe it or not. even though i play ganon like 3 times a year max

just thought it was weird seeing sweet post here lol

spider_sense

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-RN_uapfI

<---This match was in 2010, it's somewhat dated but it's not bad. This is for the gentleman asking about sheik earlier. The best advice I can give on this match-up is that you absolutely have to have great spacing and make sure to watch out for tomahawks (which can be avoided and even punished with a well placed aeriel) and also be mindful of her dash attack and wait until she's completely standing in order to get a grab or retreating bair if the dash attack is out of your grab range.

Obviously, you want to try to chain-grab her, especially if they're doing it back to you. Bair, uairs, dash attacks are your best aerials and you should only really use fair for combos/edge guarding because the start up time for it is really slow and all Sheik really has to do is f-tilt or fair. Also, if she manages to f-tilt your shield and you're facing her. You can grab her for free, it'll make them a little more reluctant to spam out f-tilts. Crouch canceling is really great as well, but it should be used sparingly. Remember, you can CC her dash attack, her f-tilt, her dair, and even her fair. Just make sure you watch your own percent as Ganon can be put into the "tumble" state. Hmm...what else? Up angled f-tilt and uairs are great punishes for sheiks that like to do nothing but short hop fair their problems away. Just look for the jump and react accordingly.

As far as edge guarding her is concerned, the reverse uair or Tipman spike is really useful, just look for her double jump while trying to save yours. If you can get to the ledge while she recovers with her up-b, make sure you wait till she either falls to her death or if she does make it back to the stage, immediately try to get back on the stage MANUALLY, because any other way will just set you up for a mishap or missed opportunity. Once you're back on the ledge, you can do a number of things to her, however I think running past her with retreating bair is probably the best thing you can do because it resets the situation all over again for her with a simple rinse/repeat formula.

For recovery options, literally your best bet would be to always (or at least 80% of the time) is to try to come from up under the stage which ASDI'ing into the stage itself, her best options in that scenario is to either d-tilt or d-smash in which case both moves can be tech so always try to put in the effort even if you're at really high percent and you feel like it's not worth it. It's a 50/50 scenario that'll always end in your favor once you get the rhythm down.

That's all I can think of atm, since I'm pretty much exhausted and brain-dead right now, but feel free to post again if you need me to clarify on something or have any more questions to ask.

This is one of my most hated match ups next to Fox/Jiggs, but it's definitely doable. Just don't let it frustrate you and keep trying and you'll be murking n!ggaz left and right.

Here are some really good matches of Linguini playing a really good sheik main named Nicaboy. These might help you better understand the MU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emRCg58XPC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_u-yKGwRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6E_XZRJ9w

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So idk why people don't do this, but if you stand up right when you would've gotten by the up b, you cover the ledge and are there in plenty of time to hit her, even if she goes into a platform.

Coastward

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-RN_uapfI

<---This match was in 2010, it's somewhat dated but it's not bad. This is for the gentleman asking about sheik earlier. The best advice I can give on this match-up is that you absolutely have to have great spacing and make sure to watch out for tomahawks (which can be avoided and even punished with a well placed aeriel) and also be mindful of her dash attack and wait until she's completely standing in order to get a grab or retreating bair if the dash attack is out of your grab range.

Obviously, you want to try to chain-grab her, especially if they're doing it back to you. Bair, uairs, dash attacks are your best aerials and you should only really use fair for combos/edge guarding because the start up time for it is really slow and all Sheik really has to do is f-tilt or fair. Also, if she manages to f-tilt your shield and you're facing her. You can grab her for free, it'll make them a little more reluctant to spam out f-tilts. Crouch canceling is really great as well, but it should be used sparingly. Remember, you can CC her dash attack, her f-tilt, her dair, and even her fair. Just make sure you watch your own percent as Ganon can be put into the "tumble" state. Hmm...what else? Up angled f-tilt and uairs are great punishes for sheiks that like to do nothing but short hop fair their problems away. Just look for the jump and react accordingly.

As far as edge guarding her is concerned, the reverse uair or Tipman spike is really useful, just look for her double jump while trying to save yours. If you can get to the ledge while she recovers with her up-b, make sure you wait till she either falls to her death or if she does make it back to the stage, immediately try to get back on the stage MANUALLY, because any other way will just set you up for a mishap or missed opportunity. Once you're back on the ledge, you can do a number of things to her, however I think running past her with retreating bair is probably the best thing you can do because it resets the situation all over again for her with a simple rinse/repeat formula.

For recovery options, literally your best bet would be to always (or at least 80% of the time) is to try to come from up under the stage which ASDI'ing into the stage itself, her best options in that scenario is to either d-tilt or d-smash in which case both moves can be tech so always try to put in the effort even if you're at really high percent and you feel like it's not worth it. It's a 50/50 scenario that'll always end in your favor once you get the rhythm down.

That's all I can think of atm, since I'm pretty much exhausted and brain-dead right now, but feel free to post again if you need me to clarify on something or have any more questions to ask.

This is one of my most hated match ups next to Fox/Jiggs, but it's definitely doable. Just don't let it frustrate you and keep trying and you'll be murking n!ggaz left and right.

Here are some really good matches of Linguini playing a really good sheik main named Nicaboy. These might help you better understand the MU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emRCg58XPC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_u-yKGwRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6E_XZRJ9w

thanks for the videos.

i have a basic understanding of the MU but i just needed more videos to study so i can fix the problems that i'm having. good stuff you gave me though, thanks a lot.

Coastward

Smash Lord
ok so i just got back from a tourney. placed 17th, but i think that i should've done wayyyy better.

my pool was pretty simple, i shouldve gotten second seed but i choked from some reason and ended up 4th.

i almost beat the 1st seed in R1 of winners, BUT I CHOKED AGAIN. then got to 2nd round of losers and lost because I CHOKED FOR THE THIRD TIME.

i definitely think i should've gotten 13th, maybe even 9th. i know im getting better, im getting close. i think i just need more experience to deal with the anxiety and pressure. also ban falco.

should have a couple matches soon to show everyone, so theres that. also got to play @ Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir . fun ganon dittos, dont pick marth tho LOL.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
ok so i just got back from a tourney. placed 17th, but i think that i should've done wayyyy better.

my pool was pretty simple, i shouldve gotten second seed but i choked from some reason and ended up 4th.

i almost beat the 1st seed in R1 of winners, BUT I CHOKED AGAIN. then got to 2nd round of losers and lost because I CHOKED FOR THE THIRD TIME.

i definitely think i should've gotten 13th, maybe even 9th. i know im getting better, im getting close. i think i just need more experience to deal with the anxiety and pressure. also ban falco.

should have a couple matches soon to show everyone, so theres that. also got to play @ Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir . fun ganon dittos, dont pick marth tho LOL.
That means I got 25th

Cool, best I've ever done at a Melee tournament (considering # of entrants). Which is weird because I hadn't played Melee for over 6 months before this week LOL.

And yeah those dittos were super fun, your Ganon is so fast, made me feel like I was playing Brawl Ganon :p I wanted to go Mewtwo for game 2 but pride kept me as Ganon, luckily for you ;)

Anyway a few of my pools matches were apparently played on a recording setup, and I went Ganon in 4/5 of those games (lost 2-0 to a Fox with Ganon/Mewtwo and beat a Sheik 2-1 with Ganon), so if/when they get uploaded I'll post them here for critiques/mocking :)

tm

Smash Ace
Just got back from a MI tourney, (it was an arcadian: no players from the PR allowed). Wow what a learning experience. Did decent, but lost to the guys who got 1st and 3rd, so even though I got 7th or 9th or something, I'm not taking it badly. Got 2nd in doubles, winning money for the second time ever (first was two weeks ago).

Videos gonna be posted soon, and I'll share mine here.
Played the campiest puff I have literally ever seen. For real you guys are not gonna want to watch that video. But as always, help is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom