• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Haven't posted here for a while, hello fellow warlocks! What's your favorite map for Ganon whether it be for a counter pick or just for friendlies? I love FoD and YS.

Diosama

Stand User
Not Stadium and FD. I used to hate Fountain, but have started to like it recently since it's a good counterpick vs spacies. Yoshi's, Battlefield and Dream Land are just great.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
I am so frustrated.

My scene is really small and you basically have the 'top' group and then everyone else. I've consistently been stuck with no practice partner each week until the weekly tournament. So I'm practicing by myself, everyone else is progressing and I'm stuck. To make matters worse the top group doesn't consider me part of them at all, even though I'm still listed as top 5, they are started to go out of state down to colorado and stuff like that... meeting new players, getting better, leaving me in the dust.

How in the hell am I supposed to keep up and beat people if I can't get anyone to practice with me? Yeah my level is mediocre but I'm started to feel like trash tier, people laugh behind me when I play and I'm just... I don't know what to do. I just want to stop playing entirely.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
He went fox. I think he took a grand total of 45% in the entire match. It hurt.
Matchup is super deep, not to mention wack af. People that effectively wait for Ganon to do an aerial and then punish can unfortunately manhandle most Ganons with that strategy alone. Even top players have this general strat. And not many foxes are straight up laser fanatics, aside from maybe Kels. Elusive movement is so big imo.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm strongly considering maining Ganondorf again. And Dr. Mario for specific matchups.

This Falcon **** just isn't working out.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Yeah, my first legit tourney ended up being a round robin with the #5 player in the area, three previous top ten players that got deranked, my friend Nick who is in the Jersey power ranking, and me haha. I went 0-5 and it was god awful. I was really really close to getting JV5'd by a Puff and it was so embarrassing but its fine because I still had a lot of fun. After the tourney everyone wanted to play friendlies with me because i'm like the only Ganon player in my area. Good times man.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Did kind of meh in tournament yesterday, took a game off Mike li then got wrecked on FoD and lost on battlefield, my hand cramped up during the first game against another falco (like, I couldn't open it) and lost that game (should have had it imo), then got wrecked the next game.

Only set steamed was doubles, was doing pretty well then fell apart like I always do (almost won the second game despite 2 sds, I swear i'd be like top 8 pr over here if I didn't sd constantly). http://www.twitch.tv/vbresports/v/52575746 (last match got ****ed with the recording it seems)

I always lose mm's and 'important' sets at the end with constant flubs and sds and it's maddening, it's making me want to quit

Last edited:

Diosama

Stand User
Yeah my first tourney had RR pools and I only won 1 game. It was still nice because that's what really gave me the drive to get better.

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
I am so frustrated.

My scene is really small and you basically have the 'top' group and then everyone else. I've consistently been stuck with no practice partner each week until the weekly tournament. So I'm practicing by myself, everyone else is progressing and I'm stuck. To make matters worse the top group doesn't consider me part of them at all, even though I'm still listed as top 5, they are started to go out of state down to colorado and stuff like that... meeting new players, getting better, leaving me in the dust.

How in the hell am I supposed to keep up and beat people if I can't get anyone to practice with me? Yeah my level is mediocre but I'm started to feel like trash tier, people laugh behind me when I play and I'm just... I don't know what to do. I just want to stop playing entirely.
Do they play with you at all? Just ask them if they want to play! If they laught at you, they sound like a bunch of assholes to me, then I´d rather team up with a player less skilled and practice with them. I was by far the best in my town, and I had no other choice than to train with people below my skill. I am still progressing, and the people I played with became way better, even beating me many times in legit matches. Don´t give up on the game, you´ll find a way man!

Bwmat

Smash Ace
My first tourney I got bopped by a peach, so hard, that's the only thing I remember. It was in a card shop.

I thought I was so good rolf, mained fox and couldn't even waveshine.

Nowadays I have no problem playing with newer/weaker players, I'll bop then all day of they want to, I start feeling bad if I'm really destroying them, but I never 'go easy' and will gimp the hell out of them lol

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
got 7th today at a stacked tourney, but i coulda placed way better if not for the ****ty mindset i put myself into after losing the first game of the set where i got eliminated.

every game was last hit last stock and i could have won both but i just didnt clutch it out for some reason. marth is ****ing whack and can get so many tippers off of a throw on ganon lmao. i got combo'd a **** ton too, gotta work on crouch cancelling and smash di some more.

do you guys have any tips on how i can better my mental game? its what's been really getting at me the past few tournaments i've gone too and i feel like once i can get past that block i'll be able to perform so much better.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
My mental game is crap. Also I almost lost to a marth yesterday in pools, he got so many stupid fsmashes on me

Diosama

Stand User
My mental game comes from living a peaceful lifestyle. Exercise, meditation, tea, a good diet, all these things transfer to melee to keep me relaxed when I play, which allows me to think more consciously when I need to make a decision.

Coastward

Smash Lord
My mental game comes from living a peaceful lifestyle. Exercise, meditation, tea, a good diet, all these things transfer to melee to keep me relaxed when I play, which allows me to think more consciously when I need to make a decision.
i think this is what i need to do. i was playing extremely well when i was excersizing so it looks like its time to get back on the grind.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
My problem is that I go on auto-pilot when I play and don't make adjustments fast enough. Aside from that, I freaking love just wavelanding all over the place and using the side-b to platform cancel it. It's so unnecessary but I gotta honor Bizz with the style :ganondorfmelee::ganondorfmelee::ganondorfmelee::ganondorfmelee:

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'm spending a lot of time playing other characters in order to teach the other people at my school matchups. I can play Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Puff, and Peach without having practiced any of them much just from fundamentals/experience. I'm going to keep doing it to increase my chances of going farther in TMG. I think I'm doing an alright job, cause a bunch of people that have never gone to tournaments are holding their own with people that have regularly been attending for at least over a year.

The thing is, I'm getting worse at the game by doing this. But I'm not getting any better and they're not getting any better from just playing my dorf. I feel like I need to constantly be pushed in order to improve. Some people can do it on their own, but I just learn better from experience I guess. It's hard for me to transform what I study into unconscious habits when I'm not forced into tense situations where those habits are tested often.

All I can say is that I hope doing this will make me better in the long run. For now, it just feels ****ty to not feel improvement. It's the first time I've hit a brick wall, I guess.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
do you guys have any tips on how i can better my mental game? its what's been really getting at me the past few tournaments i've gone too and i feel like once i can get past that block i'll be able to perform so much better.
This statement is incredibly vague and not very helpful for me to give advice on mentality. I need more info and specifics about what is going on in your mind and what you are thinking that is causing your problems. Do some thinking first about what the problem is and pinpoint a specific thing you want to address, and then I should be able to give a much more specific and beneficial answer for you.

Coastward

Smash Lord
This statement is incredibly vague and not very helpful for me to give advice on mentality. I need more info and specifics about what is going on in your mind and what you are thinking that is causing your problems. Do some thinking first about what the problem is and pinpoint a specific thing you want to address, and then I should be able to give a much more specific and beneficial answer for you.
i dont really know what it is. whenever im at a deficit i just play worse. i try to just think about the game but my judgement gets clouded and by the time i sort myself out i'm already at 80% or some ****.

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
i dont really know what it is. whenever im at a deficit i just play worse. i try to just think about the game but my judgement gets clouded and by the time i sort myself out i'm already at 80% or some ****.
Seriously, man, Wobbles is the one to listen to. He went from being notorious for being the angriest player in smash (spiking many a controller in the process) to mellowing out and taking second at Evo, losing only to Mang0.

http://www.compete-complete.com/2012/11/bonus-update-emotional-habits.html?m=0

This is probably the most relevant to what you're describing (at least as I understand it), but I would strongly recommend the whole thing.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. what do you feel or think about in those situations? Why do you deflate? Are you scared of losing? Are you scared of looking bad? Ask yourself these questions, don't be afraid of these problems.

I'm strongly considering maining Ganondorf again. And Dr. Mario for specific matchups.

This Falcon **** just isn't working out.
If you are switching constantly every few months, i dont think you'll get anywhere except if you truly have problems in the matchup objectively. That type of mindset will get you frustrated because you arent getting the results you want but in actuality you are missing key elements probably.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If you are switching constantly every few months, i dont think you'll get anywhere except if you truly have problems in the matchup objectively. That type of mindset will get you frustrated because you arent getting the results you want but in actuality you are missing key elements probably.
It's been about 4 months since I've been playing Falcon solo and I've done Falcon solo in tournament before then. I'm only considering it based on the fact that my results haven't changed much over a 4 month period with just Falcon. From a rational standpoint I think I need to give it a bit more time before I come to any real conclusions, but I'm learning more about what I want from the game by restricting myself in such a way. I still get nervous in tournament no matter what character I play and it gets harder and harder to try to fix the problem when you exhaust another technique or idea. It's really hard to come to conclusions in the game because time is a really big factor and I tend to lose patience with myself, which is something I'm trying to work on.

It'd be easier if I could just be like "okay if I play 20 tournaments and I do crappy at all of them then something is clearly wrong with the character I am playing and I need to do something else," but it's not so black and white as that. Also, as more and more time goes by I'm dedicating more and more time to working on more practical thing in my life and working towards a career, and Melee is becoming more of a mental burden and distraction if I keep hitting this wall continuously. It's so bizarre and I want to figure it out. I definitely should give it more time though. I could theorize all day right now about what the problem really is but I won't learn more if I don't continue to just play Falcon.

I'm well aware that I'm missing key elements. It feels like every time I have it figured out I end up taking a step back and nothing actually progressed. It's not consistent despite my efforts for the last 4 months or so.

The least I could do is give it more time so that I can have hard data to compare to my previous time in the game in order to see what has changed and what hasn't. I might hit a breakthrough 8 months into this that will actually greatly improve my performance at the game, or maybe I won't cause I don't have enough time to dedicate to Melee anymore. There's so many factors that come into play and my mathematical brain wants to collect data and come to conclusions that way. It's like a tedious elimination process where you hope to reach the answer sooner than later, and I'm running out of steam.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
But there are no conclusions in a fighting game if you want to increase your skills. Especially Melee where you can do many things based on the distance between you and the opponent. The only thing you really need to know are what works best at any given % then adapt to the tendencies of your opponent afterwards. There's really no clearcut answers to beat someone as it's always a wheel of adaptation. A strategy will quickly stop working if your opponent knows what you are going for so thats where you change your timing but at the same time you need to keep moving in order to adapt to his adaptation.

That is why I tweeted at some point where I thought a strategy will keep working vs Ryan Ford for example but then I get whooped for stubbornly going for the same things that normally works based on his approach. And now im back to square 1 but in reality Im not stuck, I just chose incorrectly at the time. I mean I can relate as well as im good at math but if everything was just frame data and % it would be really easy to win won't it? lol. Fighting even in definition is chaotic in nature, you cant solve it with simple equations.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
hey guys. just checking in. i'm actually going to a tournament today and i'm going to try my best to get some footage for you guys.

anyone got any new vids up? specifically stuff from tm or pseudoturtle.
Eddie and I vs MacD and Halkatraz. We did ok, but they adapted very well game two. Neither of us played our best IMO, but it was fun. Unfortunately, Eddie wasn't feeling the ganon that day, so no footage of double ganon :(

I'll be teaming with Dart! this weekend though, so most likely there'll be footage of that, as well as footage from singles (I'll just request to be put on stream).

On another note, the friendlies with Dart! are getting closer and closer, he can see it too. I maybe take 1/4 or 1/5 games against him, which doesn't seem like a lot, but the dude is ****ing good lmao. Though it is friendlies, so take with a grain of salt. I'd like to get a recording setup going so we could stream and I could get some feedback on it.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good capture card? I'd like not to spend too much, but quality is #1 priority.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
But there are no conclusions in a fighting game if you want to increase your skills. Especially Melee where you can do many things based on the distance between you and the opponent. The only thing you really need to know are what works best at any given % then adapt to the tendencies of your opponent afterwards. There's really no clearcut answers to beat someone as it's always a wheel of adaptation. A strategy will quickly stop working if your opponent knows what you are going for so thats where you change your timing but at the same time you need to keep moving in order to adapt to his adaptation.

That is why I tweeted at some point where I thought a strategy will keep working vs Ryan Ford for example but then I get whooped for stubbornly going for the same things that normally works based on his approach. And now im back to square 1 but in reality Im not stuck, I just chose incorrectly at the time. I mean I can relate as well as im good at math but if everything was just frame data and % it would be really easy to win won't it? lol. Fighting even in definition is chaotic in nature, you cant solve it with simple equations.
I think you missed my point. I already know a lot of what you said here, and I can agree with it, but it's not really what I'm talking about. I feel like you're missing the bigger picture I'm trying to portray. I'm not thinking of in-game interactions as I already have those down to a pretty solid understanding, I'm thinking about my growth and performance as a player over time, as well as how my tournament mentality is changing.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle I imagine Dart! is really good at edgeguarding Ganon, much like he is with Falcon. Find any loopholes that Marth can't cover when recovering as Ganon? Also what does Dart try to do to stay safe in neutral against you? What does he do with his grabs on you?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle I imagine Dart! is really good at edgeguarding Ganon, much like he is with Falcon. Find any loopholes that Marth can't cover when recovering as Ganon? Also what does Dart try to do to stay safe in neutral against you? What does he do with his grabs on you?
Very good questions. Dart basically doesn't drop edge guards unless he's styling lol. His method is so simple it's stupid. If you recover low, he just dtilts and wavedashes back in case you tech. Rinse and repeat. If you try and recover just a little bit higher (to try and up-b grab him), he reacts - jumps back with a nair. Second hit so you can't SDI it. Best marth at edge guarding ganon / falcon IMO. If you recover high, he'll nair or fair you. Don't DI in or you get ken combo'd / fair --> fsmashed.

If you down-b anywhere close to the stage, he'll up-b it or bair it. I've learned not to down-b recover vs marth unless I'm very far away. Even mid-level marths who are semi-adept at the matchup will cover this.

Only "loopholes" I've found are using double jump very wisely and air dodging immediately after you tech. No bair, no up-b. Up air when you read he's gonna try and gimp you with dair (like this).

Dart plays neutral in a very unique way vs falcon and ganon. He'll throw out well spaced aerials and try and read your movement and eat your space with dash attacks and fsmashes... and they always ****ing hit LOL. Super annoying. One thing he does that other marths don't is he'll pivot up tilt after crossing up your shield with an aerial. Most marths try and dash dance behind you to bait a shield grab or something and it gives ganon a free stomp. No free stomp against dart. The only thing I've found to work is shield DI TOWARDS him and then throw out a bair. Should be able to beat the up tilt.

Watch this set. He plays neutral vs ganon pretty similarly to how he plays it vs falcon, but actually knows the matchup instead of just treating it like a worse falcon or something.

His grab game is very good vs ganon. He knows to generally not up throw unless on a platform and he'll always go for the dthrow tech chase until it's gimp time. Usually, he'll reaction tech chase until he thinks you'll miss tech / tech away and edge guard. Pretty good strategy.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
There's no guaranteed loophole in recovery. Recover in such a way that the edgeguarder commits to something before your options have been exhausted. That is the loophole.

Honestly I've never seen any Ganon space down-b's while recovering as well as I do. Every pixel counts. I can make good players go out to gimp me and whiff, often fully committing due to their confidence of getting the "textbook" edgeguard and losing their stock. It's basically all double jump positioning. They aren't watching you dj, so they aren't watching how you space it. They think you're just trying to get back to stage, but it's really an elaborate bait based on exactly what they're doing at the time.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
hey guys. just checking in. i'm actually going to a tournament today and i'm going to try my best to get some footage for you guys.

anyone got any new vids up? specifically stuff from tm or pseudoturtle.
Sup guys. We had a "Smash Summit" like event in Michigan last weekend, invitation-only and had most of the top ~25 ish players in the state there plus Armada (notable exceptions are Shaeden who couldn't make it and Prince Abu who just didn't enter singles). I got possibly my best win to date vs Shady, a hidden boss in MI
Here's the set (sorry for no youtube upload)
also played against armada's secondaries, did ok but got 3-0d
also got 3-0d by ginger. Got 7th in singles
here's the bracket

Top Bottom