• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Brodie's, Falcon is the only top tier that matters :D and on another note, why is everybody playing my color now all of a sudden -_- ? I'm the Red Ganon, excuse yourselves

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Uh oh Fox has multishined his way into my heart
Yesterday while :denzel: I had an epiphany. I'm not good enough yet to main a mid tier or low tier. Maybe once I get really good I'll represent the characters I love more, but until then *BLIP BLIP*
I'm still gonna be here though. Similar to Bowser and Puff, I want to see this character evolve and become the best he can be.

Renth

Smash Hero
I did, Down smash (The Vaccuum)

The Vaccuum: Down smash by the ledge if the opponent runs into it they get a jank gimp that sends them off stage after only being hit by the first hit.

so, Vaccuum, reverse up air, follow down with another reverse down air, (do not use your double jump, just keep up airing) jump back to the ledge, RLD, Stomp.

Was fun stuff

Coastward

Smash Lord
I did, Down smash (The Vaccuum)

The Vaccuum: Down smash by the ledge if the opponent runs into it they get a jank gimp that sends them off stage after only being hit by the first hit.

so, Vaccuum, reverse up air, follow down with another reverse down air, (do not use your double jump, just keep up airing) jump back to the ledge, RLD, Stomp.

Was fun stuff
works on yoshi island cloud too. time the move so that the 2nd kick animation gets cancelled by the ledge snap and they'll get sent flying.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZHZNG4AKo guys if you have the time can you tell me why/how I suck

(disregard 2nd game because I was being a buster with Samus)
So, I'd recommend that you watch Kira's top 5 newbie mistakes video. I know he's a dirty sheik main, but it's actually a pretty good one. Two of the items on there that I noticed you did right away were shield grabs and waiting after attacks (both of which I still occasionally have problems with too).

But the main one was that you looked really hesitant and a bit slow after you committed to a move. A way to practice acting out of a move faster is by L-cancelling a move and holding L / R (whatever you use to L-cancel) so that your shield comes up. That way you know exactly when the lag ends and you can act out of your attack.

Renth, that sounds beautiful. I love RLD dair with a passion.

NickNasty

Smash Cadet
What is a tipman spike??

Frame 16 baby. That toe tap of love that makes your opponent salty as hell.

Edit: Basically what you want to do is roll back towards the ledge, and edge guard with the late hitboxes of this attack to send them away and down from the stage. 1 or 2 of these in succession is pretty much a guaranteed kill.
Named after the player "tippman"

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Twitch.tv/Lunacy_Renth

Playing Isaac right now, will probably melee later.

Come ask me things about anything I'm lonely

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganons fastest/most atypical techs which are not expected in today's meta:

-Pivots
-Auto Cancels
-Edge Cancels
-Shield drops
-No-Impact Land (NIL)
-Advanced Edge Techs (pseudo dash, runoff dj wL, etc)
-WD OOS (STILL!?!?!)
-SHIELD DI

.....and the many applications thereof.

Underused punish game tactics:

-Untechable stomp
-Tomahawk
-DD grab (yes I said it)
-Pivot Grab
-up-B (neutral AND edgeguarding)
-chaingrabbing
-Wizkick spike KO's

Movement is the key. Tricky movement is the only thing that can make Ganons neutral game not suck so bad.

/random thoughts, but I think this is important.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also wd oos will get you torn up vs. Marth

Already ahead of you man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptrjGXLVqM

Why did no one say anything when I came to this exact conclusion and posted about it 7 months ago? :(
Honestly bro (and I said nothing to Locke either) I've known about this for around 7 years. Fact is I just haven't focused hard enough to see what matters most... But today's metagame calls for pulling out all the stops, and a new way of thinking I've developed has been helping me, and since I never withhold information from these boards, I figure I'd share stuff I try to ABUSE now instead of use situationally.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Spent like 6 hrs practicing various CGs and punishing sheik off of grab on Yoshi's on reaction. 20GT someday.

Ace's list is great as usual. NIL on the rise, been practicing some stuff there as well. Also trying to implement FH fair (bait) -> late uair in neutral, as well as FH bair (bait) -> late bair / DJ / waveland (the n0ne). I never really approached neutral by going for tricksy movements, which is like 99% of how some dorfs play neutral lol. Some nice findings already

tm

Smash Ace
damn, looks like I stepped on some toes. My b, I thought the Renth was wavelanding at least once per second for an entire match

edit:
p.s.
eddie spike
tipman
the rockcrock
haxdashing
eikeldrop
kage special
:troll:

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
idk if you guys saw but i almost made a 16 stock comeback for my TMG crew battle.

got nervous and ****ed up against a jiggs LOLLLL.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Dammit smashboards why did you stop giving me notifications for this thread? This site sometimes...

Uh oh Fox has multishined his way into my heart
Yesterday while :denzel: I had an epiphany. I'm not good enough yet to main a mid tier or low tier. Maybe once I get really good I'll represent the characters I love more, but until then *BLIP BLIP*
I'm still gonna be here though. Similar to Bowser and Puff, I want to see this character evolve and become the best he can be.
ROFLROFLROFLROFL I remember doing this with Marth/Sheik. It lasted for like a week.

"Maybe once I get really good I'll represent the characters I love more."

Maybe once you actually think rationally about your choices and not while you're smoking you'll come to see that that quote is rather ignorant. You may not know it now, but you will learn why later. Don't worry, I used to be ignorant as well.

Then again, Ganondorf isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Dammit smashboards why did you stop giving me notifications for this thread? This site sometimes...

ROFLROFLROFLROFL I remember doing this with Marth/Sheik. It lasted for like a week.

"Maybe once I get really good I'll represent the characters I love more."

Maybe once you actually think rationally about your choices and not while you're smoking you'll come to see that that quote is rather ignorant. You may not know it now, but you will learn why later. Don't worry, I used to be ignorant as well.

Then again, Ganondorf isn't for everyone.
I see where you're coming from but I've actually been playing Fox for a long time now, and after realizing that I'm simply better with him, I made the switch. (obviously I'll do better with a top tier rather than Ganondorf but eh, that's not what I based it off of)
My primary goal has always been to develop Bowser's metagame, and I'm gonna stick with that. But since I started playing mid and low tiers, I stopped getting better at Melee. So this seems like a logical decision to me.

NickNasty

Smash Cadet
I wish I had a clip of this from last nights basement session with some friends.
On YS - My Ganon vs his Falco -

Both kicking around 20-30% footsies I'm cornered and he is spamming dair shine at ledge. I think he flubbed and tried to get aggro offstage so I took full advantage of it.

(me holding ledge) RLD -> DJ to side plat -> RLD -> stomp (he meteor cancels) -> ledge cancel Stomp (he meteor cancels again) -> DJ Bair for the KO

Probably the most technical thing I've ever done in my life, in terms of covering every one of his options while styling. I luv life today

Last edited:

NickNasty

Smash Cadet
I see where you're coming from but I've actually been playing Fox for a long time now, and after realizing that I'm simply better with him, I made the switch. (obviously I'll do better with a top tier rather than Ganondorf but eh, that's not what I based it off of)
My primary goal has always been to develop Bowser's metagame, and I'm gonna stick with that. But since I started playing mid and low tiers, I stopped getting better at Melee. So this seems like a logical decision to me.
Play with better players. I've been only playing melee since March of this year and I'm taking games off some of the best players in my region pretty consistently now. The main reason for my quick success (gettin gud) is by primarily surrounding myself with better players, people who will beat me consistently until I figure out what I'm doing wrong and fix it.

-ACE- -ACE- nah I drifted in then back out with an analog jump. I was back on to him and pretty much hit him with the rightmost possible frame of the second stomp lmfao. Idk if you've done a ton of analog jumping reaserch but it's super cool and I would definitely recommend looking into it. Lets you do a lot more with your full hop fairs/spacing. I just got really lucky that he meteor cancelled in a perfect range for my second stomp. I think it was the tightest I've played in my life tbh

Linguini

Smash Master
damn, looks like I stepped on some toes. My b, I thought the Renth was wavelanding at least once per second for an entire match

edit:
p.s.
eddie spike
tipman
the rockcrock
haxdashing
eikeldrop
kage special
:troll:
don't forget the guini. fair to the face (un-l cancelled)

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
don't forget the guini. fair to the face (un-l cancelled)
I've been doing the guini for years and didn't even know my inspiration.

Played a set vs dart today. Went ok. Good first game and then I did the standard "oh that wasn't so bad" and then got three stocked lmfao.

Things I learned:
1. Our neutral was pretty even. I made some fantastic reads and spaced well, good movement, the works. The difference between these types of players and more mid-level players like myself is if they hit you, they know just how to follow up and you'll die. They don't drop edge guards, they don't mess up. I thought we were going pretty even, but I dropped an edge guard or something and the momentum switched.

2. This game is all mindset. I need to take a moment to chill out after a close game or a big loss and gather my thoughts

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Dude, you choose one or the other. You either main Bowser cause you really want to develop his metagame or you play Fox because you care more about winning. I mean of course playing mid and low tiers means you're not gonna have as good results as if you were to play Fox. Fox is a much better character for a reason.

For me, it's one or the other. If you want to develop your Fox now so that you'll be good enough to main Bowser again, people are gonna give you strangle looks when you switch back to Bowser cause you wanna "develop his meta." If that's what you really wanna do, then be my guest. It doesn't make much sense to me, but if it makes sense to you then I really have no say at the end of the day. It looks a bit foolish to me right now, and you might not realize it now, but maybe later you will.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
-ACE- -ACE- you can SH backwards or even just normal SH NIL on the side platforms on FoD at a rather wide range of heights. If the platforms are at max height, a backwards full hop will NIL, and then slightly below that will not be NIL possible, but then if it's like mid-height to a decent bit off the ground, Ganon can NIL both with just a normal SH and a backwards one. Pretty cool messing around on FoD led me to realize this.

Top Bottom