• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
spider sense is just mad because nobody has named anything after him yet. go get ur own kage bomb jason.

also btw some dude from oklahoma challenged me to a $50 MM for this weekend. anyone know who the **** this guy is LOL

http://i.imgur.com/6ge91Ya.png
LOL, I've got Kage combo (Downthrow -> jab no tech to fair or the improved version with Dair now.) First one was Kage special, downair shield stab on the feet then many people started using shield stabs a lot more. Also have The kage, (Every time i spawn back on the platform, I drop down to bair and i've had like 80% accuracy with this even though i do it every single time) Now Kage bomb. Omg.. lol

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Got 4th at a local today guys! I had a nice 4-stock comeback to 2-0 the Samus that I lost to a few weeks ago, and even beat a pretty decent Marth! This time I got double eliminated by Sharkz, the best IC main in the state. I now have a real good incentive to learn the IC matchup more, as I want to beat him next time I play him in tournament. He even played a bunch of friendlies with me later and told me of some things that I can do vs ICs to do better. I'm motivated! =)

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I always called an accidental fsmash on a platform the Kage.

I love the dair shield stab by the way, especially if you can get in on the platform.

What can I do to make my movement faster with ganon? Spider sense is SupaFast
Spidey makes ganon look like he's actually a fast character... lol. As for practicing movement, just do the normal tech skill stuff (look at Tipman's old combo video- he explains most of it there) and most importantly, don't be afraid to screw it up in a match, though preferably not tournament, because that's the only way you're gonna learn how to apply the tech skill stuff instead of just flashing it like a moron (like me)

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
A tech failure shouldn't have a name.. lol.
Lol a long time ago I used to call missing a ledgedash "the renth". You have to be under the spotlight at the right time for something to get named after you. Renth was doing shield pokes with dair and bair long before the kage special. And every time I hear a RLD called a hax dash, I'm like wtf? Lol.

I like the psuedo dash though. Joe is literally the only Ganon to ever RLD > dj > wL on lower platform. That **** is hard.

Being fast is about doing the next move immediately after the last one ends, not missing fastfalls, l-cancels, or wavelands. Wavedashing at the right time too.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I can do the pseudo (both the rld to wl on lower platform and the edge cancel dair from rld) but both seem really unsafe to me so i don't do them very often. much swag tho

tm

Smash Ace
Tied for 17th at JAB 3 yesterday. Not terrible, not great. Lost to Frootloop (falco) and DekuScrub (fox).
http://challonge.com/JAB3Singles

This midwest hyper defensive spacie style is something I need a lot more practice against...

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I tied for 33rd at JAB, lost to a Marth player after a poor 3rd game on Stadium, and then Deku in losers.

If I had beaten the Marth player, I would've played SFAT on stream, which would've been an experience lol.

Pretty satisfied with how I did though, considering there were around 200 entrants.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Wow honestly i dont know wtf is wrong with some ppl

Melee Dorf >>>>>>>>> PM Dorf

Haaaaaaands down
nope. I agree that PM dorf feels weird, but he's been buffed so much. My friends complain he's broken LOL, although he's only 'good'.

why

Smash Rookie
Went to the local today. Lost the first set to some sheik guy, then got wrecked by Gato(marth). I played some friendlies with Gato, took some games. Got to keep practicing.

I played some friendlies with a doc. How do you guys go about beating the cape? I kept getting edgeguarded by the cape after the up-B.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
go low and reverse up-b? I dunno, it's really hard to recover against a doc who knows what they're doing.

Coastward

Smash Lord
im actually debating about taking a break/picking up another character for a bit.

im starting to really overthink stuff now when i play and i think that might be the best way to clear my head. a lot of players in my region think it's a good idea, but i like melee too much lol. maybe dabble around with fox or falcon for a bit?

what do you guys think i should do?

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I vote playing fox for a while.

abusing him is very cathartic for me as a ganondorf main, especially in fox dittos.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i think it just depends on the player. there is no objective truth to this. some people are capable of switching around, learning from playing different characters, and taking breaks. but some people crumble when they switch.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Went to the local today. Lost the first set to some sheik guy, then got wrecked by Gato(marth). I played some friendlies with Gato, took some games. Got to keep practicing.

I played some friendlies with a doc. How do you guys go about beating the cape? I kept getting edgeguarded by the cape after the up-B.
Gato was actually the Marth player that I beat at the local on Saturday.

im actually debating about taking a break/picking up another character for a bit.

im starting to really overthink stuff now when i play and i think that might be the best way to clear my head. a lot of players in my region think it's a good idea, but i like melee too much lol. maybe dabble around with fox or falcon for a bit?

what do you guys think i should do?
It's not a bad idea. I've been primarily playing Marth in friendlies to learn a lot more about him, and only play Ganon in tournament. So far my skill with Ganon hasn't really deteriorated, so that's good. I think taking at least 3 months to work on that other character is a good idea if you want to actually get good with that secondary character. And make sure that it deals with Ganon's bad matchups too, so that you can use it in tournament against said matchups.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

tm

Smash Ace

If you know he's going to do it you can upB the wrong way. Realistically his bair is a better edgeguard anyway. You can also upB super high and fade onto stage even if you get caped. (although he can get a free fsmash / whatever after you land. At least you can DI it and live)
Get outta here dude. Compare your wins vs mine and try again. Also I don't think n0ne counts as a ganon main ;)
If you don't want yourself on the list, put Renth / RockCrock / Guini / Qlex / whomever.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
There were a lot of instances where you messed up tech / spacing and got grabbed (aka lost the stock). Work on those little things and you won't get grabbed. That guy's grab game actually seemed super weak- just the fact that if he DID manage to get a grab, his wobble game was really good. Be careful about IC's in shield. It's nice because if you mis-space something, you won't necessarily get grabbed because their traction is so low (but you HAVE to not fast fall it, as weird as that sounds), but you have to be careful about the WD OOS --> jab --> grab. Not a guaranteed combo, but hard to avoid, especially if you're not expecting it. As popo, he also tended to roll a lot after a fair on shield. Keep an eye out here.

Same thing as for luigi- retreating fair --> jab / low ftilt works wonders for walling them out. Against an opponent with a strong grab game, I actually really like to camp platforms and drop down with aerials. It especially works against IC's because they're upward-oriented aerials aren't great. I think that would've worked well for you here. This guy especially seemed to like the ground game (as do many IC's), executing lots of dash attacks and dsmashes, etc. and not opting to go for up airs even when you were wavelanding on platforms.

As for splitting them: because of the frame delay on popo's vs. nana's shield, side-b and down-b actually work really well here. Eddie taught me this one and lord knows the man knows how to fight the climbers. Don't be afraid to go after nana if you ever get a jab or something that gets her off stage. Once you're off, popo can dsmash, fsmash... and that's about it. And those moves are super easy to tech too. Even if you don't tech it, you can usually DI it and come back as ganon.

Don't fall for blizzard shenanigans. That's a really good way to get grabbed.

edit: also, I would classify n0ne and kage both as ganon / falcon dual mains and trail an IC / ganon dual main.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
@ tm tm says who

yes i am
I mean. No hate, I just see you going falcon way more, and wouldn't call it a main unless it was very close to 50%.
I would classify n0ne and kage both as ganon / falcon dual mains and trail an IC / ganon dual main.
I would definitely still call kage a ganon main, falcon 2ndary as he only does it in certain MUs / vs certain opponents. And I can't really speak for trail but he went entirely ICs at JAB 3 so I would probably say the same thing.

n0ne

Smash Ace
I mean. No hate, I just see you going falcon way more, and wouldn't call it a main unless it was very close to 50%.

I would definitely still call kage a ganon main, falcon 2ndary as he only does it in certain MUs / vs certain opponents. And I can't really speak for trail but he went entirely ICs at JAB 3 so I would probably say the same thing.
Ill rep the ganondorf at Sweet :)

Btw tm it was because of u that i learned shielddropping. I was so mind****ed when u did it vs me at tbh4 i just felt the urge to forfeit

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo Hugs said I lost that first match to Sharkz because I missed 3 l-cancels that lead to wobbles. That's unacceptable.
A more specific version of saying you messing up tech / spacing that led to you getting wobbled, so yea. Like I said, this dude's grab game actually seemed weak (sharkz, if you're reading this, work on your grab game!), but you did all the work for him and he punished by grabbing and taking your stock.

You def could have beaten him, dude. Silly little mistakes like cost you the set, but if I were asked to pick the better player on the screen, I would have gone with you.

@ n0ne n0ne which sweet are you going to? If you're referring to Sweet XX, I'm trying to go. It all depends on if I can get some of my Champaign peeps to hitch a ride and split the gas $. Hope to see you again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom