• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
How the **** do you waveland onto stage with Ganon? I end up not getting high enough... am I missing something?
If you're talking about ledge-dashing I use away on the c-stick to let go of the ledge and then up on controlstick to double jump and angle the control stick toward the stage so just as I'm about to land, I airdodge and do a waveland.

Coastward

Smash Lord
If you're talking about ledge-dashing I use away on the c-stick to let go of the ledge and then up on controlstick to double jump and angle the control stick toward the stage so just as I'm about to land, I airdodge and do a waveland.
the way you do it feels so awkward to me. you actually press up on the control stick instead of Y/X?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
i do it the same way, coastward. your way sounds more complicated. ;b

How the **** do you waveland onto stage with Ganon? I end up not getting high enough... am I missing something?
it's a super precise input. i do it by letting off from the ledge with c stick and then instantly doing the waveland motion into the stage after jumping

if you're dying from it, don't feel bad. the best ganondorfs do it still every once in a blue moon because of how tough it can be at times.

i hope you're having fun playing with gravy
so much fun man. i wish you could see our matches sometime. you'd learn a thing or two. you should probably crouch cancel vs falcon more. :p

hey, so just out of curiosity, anyone know this ganondorf? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWiUs6hM8M

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
i do it the same way, coastward. your way sounds more complicated. ;b

it's a super precise input. i do it by letting off from the ledge with c stick and then instantly doing the waveland motion into the stage after jumping

if you're dying from it, don't feel bad. the best ganondorfs do it still every once in a blue moon because of how tough it can be at times.

so much fun man. i wish you could see our matches sometime. you'd learn a thing or two. you should probably crouch cancel vs falcon more. :p

hey, so just out of curiosity, anyone know this ganondorf? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWiUs6hM8M
Alright, I am gonna try to use that technique! Thanks man!

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I guess my problem was I was using the analog to input down > up > then airdodge on side of stage > death

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
the way you do it feels so awkward to me. you actually press up on the control stick instead of Y/X?
Yup. That's how you get it to be frame-perfect and much easier to do. If I use Y or X I have to move my thumb from the c-stick to hit X or Y and I lose time/frames by doing that. I can use my other non-occupied thumb to do the jump, so it's instantaneous.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I drop down with down, hit X while doing a haduken toward the stage, then R. Tipman used to recommend c-stick back in the day to prevent fastfalling but if you're quick with the jump you're in there.

tm

Smash Ace
Hey @Divinokage , I'm in Weon-X's pool at super sweet. Any advice against him personally?

Also for everyone, what's the DK matchup like? I'm guessing something like this: Don't get baired or grabbed, hit his sweetspotting recovery with the reverse uair, grab ledge if he jukes to the ledge for a delayed sweetspot... bair a lot? Shield poke. Give me more

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
dair him... insta death. be ready for an instant up-b after you shield a bair, and never underestimate how well dk's up-b can gimp ganon. He can tech the tipman spike because of how big he is with simple ASDI. Most DK's dont even know that but be ready. chaingrab... There's no shame in it. and yes bair is always good haha.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Hey @Divinokage , I'm in Weon-X's pool at super sweet. Any advice against him personally?

Also for everyone, what's the DK matchup like? I'm guessing something like this: Don't get baired or grabbed, hit his sweetspotting recovery with the reverse uair, grab ledge if he jukes to the ledge for a delayed sweetspot... bair a lot? Shield poke. Give me more
go watch their set at GOML, kage coulda definitely take the set off of him. gotta cheer on the EMG homie tho, but he's easy to edgeguard against so take advantage of that.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
DK is a fun matchup and it's slightly in ganon's favor I'd say. I have plenty of experience vs. DK because of Ripple. Definitely best DK in the midwest besides maybe strongbad.

You never have to approach because DK literally can't approach safely, like at all. DK shffl'd bairs are kind of a pain in the ass, but if he thinks just shffling bairs on your shield is a good idea, you can outright beat them or at least trade with a quick uair.

A good DK will go for the grab a lot because he can combo you to oblivion with his up throw, so make sure that you space fairs/bairs on shield perfectly, so as to avoid getting grabbed. When he does get the grab, just make sure to di behind and smash di behind on the uair... honestly there's not much you can do at that point besides going off stage where he can't follow up, but that's risky for obvious reasons.

Edge guarding is pretty easy. Dair wrecks him (thanks ACE), as does the EDDIE(!!!) spike, usually. I didn't know DK could tech that easily, but I haven't had problems with it. His recovery is really predictable too and you can gimp him really often with stupid ganon tricks like wavelanding off a platform to uair (usually will either win or trade) because he can't avoid it by going lower or pulling back because his recovery is so bad. So basically if he's there, just hit him.

Like you said, you can shield poke him pretty easily... same thing as Marth, just aim for the tip of his head and it'll poke right through.

Getting edge guarded by DK is a pain in the ass. He can just up b ganon repeatedly until he can grab ledge, like ACE said, it's a really good gimping tool against ganon.

And also, like ACE said, be ready for the up-b when he does a badly spaced bair on your shield. Your best option here would be to just roll or stay in shield and wavedash out after the up-b.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
What's the best way to counter a shield grab after landing a fair on someone's shield? I'm thinking it's jab.
What's the best way to cover a roll if your opponent rolls behind you after you fair their shield? I'm thinking ftilt, but I want to know if there's a better move that offers more follow-ups or is maybe safer. I know ftilt is really safe, but fsmash and side-b both offer really nice follow ups. And you can get even more janky by using up-b in the opposite direction to catch their roll, and if you miss, you just go to the top platform.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
What's the best way to counter a shield grab after landing a fair on someone's shield? I'm thinking it's jab.
What's the best way to cover a roll if your opponent rolls behind you after you fair their shield? I'm thinking ftilt, but I want to know if there's a better move that offers more follow-ups or is maybe safer. I know ftilt is really safe, but fsmash and side-b both offer really nice follow ups. And you can get even more janky by using up-b in the opposite direction to catch their roll, and if you miss, you just go to the top platform.
In the first scenario, simply space the fair. If you know they will try to grab you, you can jab or grab their grab (because you spaced the fair and you're ready to approach the move you wanted to bait).

In the second one, ftilt is good on reaction, but pivot > dash > jcgrab is better.... but if you anticipate/read the roll, obv you'd want to dair. and if they are at really high% just up-B.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK beats Ganondorf. If I can go toe to toe with Kage, an actual DK player would beat him.

or at least make you believe me.
now hurry up and come over joe so I can smash you

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
nahhhhh ripple is the homie. what did he say that was wrong? lol

also link is annoying as ****. young link is much easier.
Oh he just sounded arrogant loooooool.

Basically come off as "lulz my dk is nothing special, lulz i did well vs. kage, lulz dk beats ganon cause lulz, lulz."

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Renth, what he said was true, I've seen it on stream- no arrogance there. And he definitely knows the ganon matchup as he plays me all the time... which is annoying as **** because I can't use any of my ganon shenanigans (shenaniganons?) on him.

It's hard to determine tone through walls of text lol.

And yo Ian, both link and young link are a complete pain in the ass to fight.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Renth, what he said was true, I've seen it on stream- no arrogance there. And he definitely knows the ganon matchup as he plays me all the time... which is annoying as **** because I can't use any of my ganon shenanigans (shenaniganons?) on him.

It's hard to determine tone through walls of text lol.

And yo Ian, both link and young link are a complete pain in the *** to fight.
ganon vs ylink is so easy... link is the tougher MU. i've yet to play a link to take a set off of me.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'd like to know what makes you guys think Link is significantly harder than y. link.

Speed is everything. Y. link has an advantage in the neutral game vs ganon over link. Link has better tools but won't always get to use them as often as y. link will get to use his. its a toss up.... not enough y. link mains. I have a lot of experience against rhan (good sova ylink main) and a few matches with chu's ylink.

personally I think link is harder by a smidge but no one said anything about then being similar in difficulty and I wanted to get feedback

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I'd like to know what makes you guys think Link is significantly harder than y. link.

Speed is everything. Y. link has an advantage in the neutral game vs ganon over link. Link has better tools but won't always get to use them as often as y. link will get to use his. its a toss up.... not enough y. link mains. I have a lot of experience against rhan (good sova ylink main) and a few matches with chu's ylink.

personally I think link is harder by a smidge but no one said anything about then being similar in difficulty and I wanted to get feedback
young link is easier to pressure, his projectiles are smaller, his recovery is worse, his dair has a chance of spiking instead of killing you (it's happened before). he's also easier to combo imo. big link has a weird weight. young link has a harder time edgeguarding ganondorf as well imo.

all of link's moves are more meaty than young links, including up b which ruins ganondorf's chance of recovering. if you get hit once with young link, generally you'd need to get hit a few more times for it to matter much. with link, i feel like his normals hurt a lot more. don't ask me about frame data or percents though, it's just a feeling lol

link's grab is also arguably better, and his tether recovery is objectively better.

i play against link and young link pretty often here in orlando. i wish i could link my matches with laijin from tipped off lol...mark saw them though. it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom