• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

spider_sense

Smash Champion
LOL alright chill, I didn't even know Renth had a facebook.

Btw, I'm going to be uploading a Ganon demonstration video (something I want to show Tipman), along with a few matches. I'll upload them later today. =D

Renth

Smash Hero
I would just like to announce this to the world. Renth... are you watching??

I searched "****" in facebook and...you can see the rest...
LOL search for **** if i'm on your friends it actually works.

anyway, i never log on facebook btw so adding me or searching for it is pointless.

...Is there a way to wreck without wave-anything? I resent the waveing of any form, but I am wondering if there is a way to get good without it (not godly but decent).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Decent? Well, you have to have amazing spacing and reading, other than that... wavelanding is a bonus to push mobility to get where you want to. And it also adds a bit of mindgames.

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
...Is there a way to wreck without wave-anything? I resent the waveing of any form, but I am wondering if there is a way to get good without it (not godly but decent).
Don't let techs run your game. Wave lands and platform dashes are two techs that have their place and have been proven to be very useful in matches. It doesn't mean they'll be necessary. Just like everything that's done in repetition they will become predictable but the same goes for basic techs. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to implement wave dashing into your game but you can always be good without em. It's just nice to have more options.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Philosophical implications inbound...

Consciously choosing to limit your technical capacity is kind of like opting for a Meat Cleaver over a Swiss Army Knife in any situation outside cleaving meat. Sure, the Cleaver excels at butchering, but the world is more than a delicatessen...

On the flip side of course, Aesop tells the story of a Fox and Cat. The witty Fox, with his obscene level of arrogance, mocks the Cat's simplistic nature. Surely an intellectual's thinking variety would be the Swiss Army Knife to all crises?

A pack of hounds interrupt their discourse. The Cat, being simple, quickly scurries up a tree to safety. The Fox, with all his wit, is running in circles of uncertainty in want of considering all options. He is gobbled up by the hounds.

I like to tell people who ask questions like that there is two legitimate MOs:

1. Only practice the bare minimum of what you deem essential, for consistency.

2. If you're looking to be technical, make sure you're practicing 2x more than the most technical player you know.

-Kye

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
Philosophical implications inbound...

Consciously choosing to limit your technical capacity is kind of like opting for a Meat Cleaver over a Swiss Army Knife in any situation outside cleaving meat. Sure, the Cleaver excels at butchering, but the world is more than a delicatessen...

On the flip side of course, Aesop tells the story of a Fox and Cat. The witty Fox, with his obscene level of arrogance, mocks the Cat's simplistic nature. Surely an intellectual's thinking variety would be the Swiss Army Knife of to all crises?

A pack of hounds interrupt their discourse. The Cat, being simple, quickly scurries up a tree to safety. The Fox, with all his wit, is running in circles of uncertainty in want of considering all options. He is gobbled up by the hounds.

I like to tell people who ask questions like that there is two legitimate MOs:

1. Only practice the bare minimum of what you deem essential, for consistency.

2. If you're looking to be technical, make sure you're practicing 2x more than the most technical player you know.

-Kye
Up until you started numbering things nothing made sense.

-WTF

Don't let techs run your game. Wave lands and platform dashes are two techs that have their place and have been proven to be very useful in matches. It doesn't mean they'll be necessary. Just like everything that's done in repetition they will become predictable but the same goes for basic techs. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to implement wave dashing into your game but you can always be good without em. It's just nice to have more options.
I'm one of the guys that understands wave lands/dashes aren't glitches but treats them in the same respect. I am not one for exploiting the engine for the sake of reaching metagame. That is why I "limit" myself

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
I'm one of the guys that understands wave lands/dashes aren't glitches but treats them in the same respect. I am not one for exploiting the engine for the sake of reaching metagame. That is why I "limit" myself
Well then understand the game physics better. Wavedashing isn't a glitch. You can tell when you do it in debug mode it has it's own label when you look at the frame data when executing it. That alone is evidence that the developers had known about it and left it in.

I find it hard to believe you really don't use it cause of that. It's ok if you suck and can't do it.

-HaterTip

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Wow, are you kidding? If you don't play this game for it's deep metagame, why don't you go play something like Brawl or Tic-Tac-Toe?

SynikaL

Smash Lord
You guys are taking the wrong tone. He's obviously got no experience with being competitive with video games. You're not going to break his askew perspective with any amount arguing or labeling.

He has to actually go to a tournament or two to enlighten his perspective.

-Kye
(yes, I know I made a bold assumption)

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
You guys are taking the wrong tone. He's obviously got no experience with being competitive with video games. You're not going to break his askew perspective with any amount arguing or labeling.

-Kye
Word.

Also I've been bored out my mind with this game since I don't play anyone and I was messing with nair today. I found some use out of it but only when auto canceled. Try short hop nair to ftilt and full jump nairs onto platforms.

To execute SH nairs just nair as soon as you jump and when the second kick is out before it comes back in fast fall. It's easy once you get the hand of it and nairing to ftilt or dtilt was something I was wondering if it would work in a match.

Full jump nairs onto platforms look so bad azz cause it's such a meaty move that can cover the whole platform if you're jump across it and even if you miss the tech you can quickly just dash and jump cancel grab the other way with nothing but land lag.

How practical is this? I probably wouldn't fvck with this much but this with uair auto cancels can bait players waiting to catch you on a laggy move.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Well then understand the game physics better. Wavedashing isn't a glitch. You can tell when you do it in debug mode it has it's own label when you look at the frame data when executing it. That alone is evidence that the developers had known about it and left it in.

I find it hard to believe you really don't use it cause of that. It's ok if you suck and can't do it.

-HaterTip
Would wavedashing still be considered an exploit or no? ..not that it really matters i guess i'm just curious about the terminology.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace

-Kye
I figured somebody would say that. I've just been looking for an opportunity to say that tic-tac-toe thing all week. LOL j/k

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH at Kage

Wavelanding is too fun i dunno what you are talking about

Ryan-K

Smash Master
punching things and sliding around and stepping on furries with the fury of thunder is all you should want out of life. if it's good enough for ganon it's too good for you.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Cage when we meet and get some games in I'm calling you Cage. Good luck in WC. Hope you do well.
Heh I will do well, no matter what!! My friends used to say whenever I played them and I do some combos that they are trapped in the cage haha. Or you can just call me the warrior too. =P

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Ganon's Uair semi-spikes doesn't it? where do you have to hit during the uair to get it?

I really need to get better, I'm getting ***** in Ganon dittos, by people who don't even main or secondary Ganon.

Still getting ***** in general.

Despite how much I love Ganon and do not want to drop him, I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore. Ganon has to have so much time put into him. It's frustrating. I need to get vids up, I'm working on it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ganon's Uair semi-spikes doesn't it? where do you have to hit during the uair to get it?

I really need to get better, I'm getting ***** in Ganon dittos, by people who don't even main or secondary Ganon.

Still getting ***** in general.

Despite how much I love Ganon and do not want to drop him, I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore. Ganon has to have so much time put into him. It's frustrating. I need to get vids up, I'm working on it.
Any character needs to have much time to put into it. Practice makes perfect and also change your perspective when fighting any opponent maybe as well. Well to me I always think I'll win and crush my opponent.

Like if I take Fox for example, I can't play him correctly because I can't do shine to wavedash grab or something like that. Ganon for me is much simpler anyhow.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of wavelanding and auto-cancelled aerials, I was practicing movement stuff with Ganon a bit before E52 and I was trying to come up with a way to make Ganon's air game faster and more fluid. Eventually I "discovered" (I use the term loosely) that Ganon can platform-dash after any auto-cancelled aerial on the low platforms of YS, BF, PS, DL64, and I imagine FoD (I always ban that stage so I haven't really bothered to try yet). And yes, it works with SH bair and uair too. I haven't gotten n-air to auto-cancel yet, so I honestly can't comment on how feasible SH nair to platform dash could be, but I imagine it would also work.

Anyway, I was wondering if other Ganons were aware of this "technique" (again, I use the term loosely), and if there is any potential in this? It seems really useful for spacing SH bairs and uairs (just plat-dash away from counter attacks, or even use the dash to do a follow-up), and makes FJ stomp a bit safer since you can plat-dash away rather than just double-jump. Fair seems the least helped by it (FJ fair doesn' seem to have many uses to me), but you can still do it. I actually was able to use fair as a pseudo combo starter and follow up quickly with a uair thanks to the dash. You also get your double-jump back since you do land on the platform, so you still have all of your movement options afterwards (full jump stomp plat-dash to ledge-grab is very cool if, not terribly useful by the way, haha). Just wondering if anyone else knew of this and how useful it could be.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I love you Kage, your my new favorite.

Also, does anyone know about that Uair semi-spike thing I asked earlier?

Ryan-K

Smash Master
it basically semi spikes a little after the last half of the move duration

ganons uair goes slightly further than a semi circle from his front to a little below and behind him. it sends them downwards when his leg is hitting behind him basically

hard to describe over text but its easy to spot

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
yo Tommy.. stick with Ganon!

Frame 16 of the u-air. This particular hitbox, which extends below the stage to hit sweetspotters, exists for 1 frame and will semi-spike. It's the last frame of hitbox in the uair, and the last frame where his foot is out with his toe extended downward. This is what you want to use against falcon, ganon, and many other characters. The initial hitbox on the uair comes out on frame six.

Top Bottom