• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with a rolling opponent.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Finally someone posted this. Rollers have been pissing me off since the launch of Smash 4 so now I can take em out. Thanks Dark.Pch

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Great post, very informative and could seriously help a lot of people improve.

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
This game is entirely about reading the match carefully once you get into a higher skill range. When posing an argument/lesson I would avoid opinion input on a topic, especially trying to present a lesson in facts as best known to the presenter. Hence long walls of texts can be briefer and to the point, leaving ample opportunity for opinions and counter-arguments in the comment/reply area.

Personal opinions can be alright, but make sure somewhere along the line it can be clearly known as bias. Any person paying attention to, for example, "roll because they are scared" comment might only note that in their later experiences disregarding the brief follow-up that there is tactical advantage in rolling/positioning. The automatic assumption for the student player might be "he's scared, time to go on the offensive", when that might play into an opponent's expectations.

You can't block after a roll or do a second roll in immediate succession (although it can be done nearly instantly), but you can dodge in place rather quickly after a roll so keep that in mind.

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
The way I deal with excessive rolling is by being aggressive and grabbing them constantly, allowing me to get easy combos on them. Also when next to them and they are going to roll behind you, down smash. This will catch them off guard.

Takezo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
TAISH0U
how i deal with the rolling especially on For Glory is stand around let them finish whatever they are attempting to do! ha ha! For moment it just them rolling for nothing ^0^ Its quite a sight to see. Then punish. with grabbing and pummeling never throw! They will be enraged and make silly decision! Make it easier to punish them with my Marth Tipper! xD They leave afterwardsXD ha ha

Mew2

Smash Rookie
great info. im trying to get better at punishing in general but especially rolls. (im also trying to stop rolling so much myself haha)

Top Bottom