• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many sword users do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hiram Temple

Smash Rookie
Let me start off by saying I love sword users in Smash. in all three games I've at least tried to main a sword user for an extended period of time (Link in the first two, Toon Link and Ike in brawl. I lose a lot.) Now, perusing these threads, I see a lot of petitions for all sorts of awesome sword users, and just as many comments wanting to limit the number of sword users in game. I for one am perfectly fine with sword users remaining a minority in SSB4; this ain't Soul Caliber after all. however, I'm interested in just how many sword users the smash community is willing to tolerate.

To give some reference, here's some numbers on the sword users in the past 3 games:

64: 1 out of 12 characters (8% of cast)

Melee: 4 out of 26 characters (15% of cast, incuding tranformations)

Brawl: 5 out of 40 characters (13% of cast, including tranformations)

If we include all weapon wielders (that is, anyone holding a melee weapon in their default pose), we get the following:

64: same.

Melee: 5 out of 26 (19%)

Brawl 8 out of 40 (20%)

So what do you think for SSB4? more? less? don't care? Let me know!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Don't care. Link and Marth who use swords play VERY differently so it's not like having a sword limits any moveset potential.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Personally, as a fan of Soul Calibur, samurai movies/anime's, and Bleach (Everyone who is everyone uses a sword) I love swords, and I main sword users as a preference. I main Link, Ike, and Marth, and Ganon on PM with a mod that allows him to use his sword, so I love sword users, but I feel that they shouldn't overwhelm the cast.

For swords, we have 5 in Brawl, and I don't mind keeping those and adding a few more from, say, Fire Emblem. Honestly, as long as they're in the minority, I don't care if they're 15 of them. The more the merrier to an extent.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Don't care if all the cast was sword users, as long as the play styles are different its all good.

There isn't that much sword users in fighers or in smash. This thread feels bait-y, but whatever.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Let's see...

Link, Toon Link, Marth are confirmed already. Three.

Meta Knight is likely to return. Four.

Fire Emblem is likely to get another swords user(AKA it's practically guaranteed if we get a FE newcomer/returning vet; whether it's Ike, Roy, Chrom, Lucina, Lyn, Robin or even Anna). Five. At least.

If Ganondorf gets to use his sword this time finally, that's six.

People are expecting Takamaru, so that's seven.

Isaac and Shulk's inclusion would take it upto nine if both got in.

Fairly sure we're getting at least seven to eight this time round. Ganondorf may not get his blade again and Isaac and Shulk both getting in seems an unlikely scenario. Fire Emblem may get three characters this time round too, but whatever the outcome I'm expecting more swordsmen than previous.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If they use swordplay in different ways, I have no issues with having many sword users. I mean it's not like the majority of the cast already attacks with their fists or something. So having several sword users shouldn't be an issue anyways.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think what we have is plenty enough. That's not because I think we have too many sword users, but rather that I don't really care much about the potential sword newcomers. If anyone though, I'd have it be Isaac or Shulk.

Just don't give Ganon his sword.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's see... There are currently three confirmed sword users in SSB4: Link, Toon Link, and Marth.

Meta Knight (definitely)
Ike (maybe)
Roy (not interested)
Chrom (yes please)
Takamaru (hell yeah)
Shulk (eh, why not?)

Personally, I would like just 7 sword users... Link, Toon Link, Marth, Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, and Meta Knight.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I don't care. It's more important to me that series/characters that deserve representation, get representation.

The only sword users I'd be against are Fire Emblem sword users. (outside of Marth, Ike and Roy) Mainly because they're not magical sword wielders (like Isaac and Shulk) and also because there are spear/axe/magic users from the fire emblem series that should get a chance before they add yet another lord waving a sword around. (And I say that as a fan of the series)

Isaac would barely even need to use his sword given he can use earth psyenergy, create hands using psyenergy and can command djinns. It's a bit of a stretch to just label him as a sword user when his abilities go far beyond that. It's a similar situation with Shulk.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wait; does Pit count as a dual blader? I know it's a bow that splits into blades, but I guess if that counts we can bump up the total number to eight to nine in what I'm expecting.

Personally I'm not huge on swordsmen overall, particularly if there's nothing unique about the blade or the swordsman themselves.

Ike, Roy and Isaac are the ones I'm actually hoping for. Robin would be fine too, but I actually want them so we can have a damned magic user from Fire Emblem finally.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It shouldn't be that big of a deal. If you think about it, we do have alot of characters that just punch and kick. Yet we can clearly tell the differences between Donkey Kong, Zero Suit Samus, Captain Falcon and Sheik. It's not that hard to be able to tell the differences between Link, Meta Knight, Marth and Ike as well, they all use swords in different ways.

Myself and many others can tell you that Soul Calibur is a good example on ways that swordsmen can standout from one another. For example Mitsurugi has very formal and (semi)realistic fighting style. And Nightmare has a heavy hitting, and more exaggerated fighting style. Even the swords that those two use are different, much like Marth and Ike.

Though in saying that, I'll go on record and say that I'd like to see characters that use other weapons in Smash. Namely staffs/lances/spears, axes, and flails.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How many sword users do I want?

I just noticed it but my sig does have a lot of sword users. :laugh:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I don't care. At least we don't have 500 generic guys with guns. *coughcougheverybiggameintheindustrynotmadebynintendocoughcough*

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Sword users sucks "you are so weak that you cant fight with your bare hands? what, you even use a shield? is.... is that a boomerang? xD"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't care. At least we don't have 500 generic guys with guns. *coughcougheverybiggameintheindustrynotmadebynintendocoughcough*

Not every big franchise. Assassin's Creed is an action brawler more about swords and government plots. And learning through your bloodline.

Master Chief isn't too bad, at least his armor design is memorable.

But yeah, some are still generic.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Not every big franchise. Assassin's Creed is an action brawler more about swords and government plots. And learning through your bloodline.

Master Chief isn't too bad, at least his armor design is memorable.

But yeah, some are still generic.
/sarcasm

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Depends on how many characters we're getting for me. There are plenty of characters that have swords that I'd like to see.
Isaac, Prince Sable, Takamaru, and Shulk would be fine by me.

Hoping we don't get another sword wielding Fire Emblem character though.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Link
Toon Link
Ganondorf
Marth
Ike(Maybe)
Chrom/Chrom and Lucina
Meta Knight
Isaac
Shulk
Prince Sable
So 9 or 10.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
As long as they differentiate between each, then I'm fine.

For example, in Brawl, the amount of sword users is a happy medium to where it's (from an attempt at thinking like a casual gamer) "two anime characters, the elf guy with more than a sword, the elf cat kid, and the blue head with bat wings". Each character at least LOOKS different, and their play styles revolve around more than just looking cool because they have swords.

Prince Sable and Isaac would be in the clear because they also focus on Transformations and Psynergy, respectively. We don't know to what extent Ganondorf will be changed up (or even if he will), but I assume he'd adopt an even heavier warlock persona, on top of looking at his sword as a taunt :troll: . I don't know a whole lot about Takamaru or Shulk, but think they'd be nice additions. However, if we ever get to a point where we have 20+ sword users who all look like anime characters and don't do anything outside of using a sword, then gameplay will probably get a little stale. But we are far from that point.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
OP is invalid. Not sure about Melee, but in 64 and Brawl there are 12 and 39 sword users respectively.

...unless you never ever play with items. In which case, what's wrong with you?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They can... Just pick up a beam sword.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Shulk and Takamaru are the only new ones I'd really like and they offer a very interesting moveset. I imagine Takamaru standing in the classic samurai position and being more like a counter-attack guy. And Shulk, well, the Monado isn't really just a sword.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
My 2 favorite Nintendo swordsmen are in game already (Link + Meta Knight), and Marth feels like a smash-born swordsman to me (since I haven't played fire emblem yet, but he plays so well in smash games). Lots of people love Ike and whenever I get brawl I may play him to get a little break from playing the other swordsmen. Roy I didn't like all that much except for his Up+B and fully charged Shield breaker (because outside of those things, he's too much like a slow clone of Marth).

I'd like to see other swordsmen, but we already have the main swordsmen in the game now.
As for the other swordsmen
Chrom/Lucina/ All those other swordsmen from Fire Emblem. I haven't played the games, but With Ike and Marth being so popular, I wouldn't mind them adding another fire emblem sword user, they seem to be doing well with it so far in smash.
Takamaru - I've never heard of this character before the smash boards, so I can't say anything about him, but if he's important to nintendo, then sure why not.
Prince Sable - Never heard of this character before this thread. Same situation as with takamaru otherwise.
Isaac/Shulk - I dunno anything about these guys or xenoblade, but that giant red sword looks cool. I saw a picture with the sword open and with energy in the middle, please tell me it doubles as an energy gun thing (I blame old school Link for making me like that idea). There needs to be more hybrid weapons in games.
Ganondorf - He gets the prize for easiest boss that uses a sword award, both in Twilight Princess and in Ocarina, and those fights are the only fights that have made me play the game one handed to see if I can make the game harder. However, Ganondorf in Wind Waker was totally awesome (until you realize it's scripted, and you should stop wailing on him and dodging so you can beat the boss rediculously fast) X_X. With that said, every swordfight with ganon/ganondorf is always epic outside of difficulty. Even so, While I like the idea of him having a sword, I think he should use a trident because it's more iconic to his older versions and because of the fact that it's rare to see any character using a trident in games. Of course, I'm not sure if they'll ever declonify Ganondorf at this point.

I do hope they make it so you can weaken your character in some way so you can always have the beam sword on you, or at least have a beam sword mode. It's hard to make sure people have a beam sword in melee without having boxes/capsules getting in the way. =/

Warning, lots of blabbing why I like sword users feel free to skip:
When I was a kid, I loved kids because of all the shows that made sword characters look cool. However, I don't think I wouldn't like them as much if it weren't for Meta Knight and Link since they are the only sword users that really stick in my head. It was mostly Meta Knight though, because Link is more of a guy using his many tools, just his sword is a tool that can be used for almost everything decently.
Meta Knight is the reason why I like sword users that attack as fast as possible, while keeping their distance and calculating every attack. Which why my main list goes from Link, Marth, Meta knight. the only sword user, then a faster sword user, then the character who made me love swords the most. However, this is more of the little touches throughout Kirby's Adventure that made using a sword + fighting Meta Knight awesome. Meta Knight had a lot of firsts for me, #1 Boss that you see multiple times throughout the game before you fight him #2 First boss that both helps and hinders your progress in a game before you get to him #3 first boss to Block #4 First boss to willingly give you the item that will kill it. #4.5 A boss trying to make it so there is a fair duel. #5 First boss to be of similar size to you, and was fast+unpredictable (faster than Kirby if he charges you when you try to run away.). #6 First boss that makes the whole game look like it's glitching up, and a special hit sound when you hit Meta Knight so that the hits felt satisfying. There are some other tiny things I like about the fight as well, but it left a good impression on me as a kid.
Later versions of Meta Knight seem to be a simplified version of Meta Knight but with new abilities (which happens to just about every single character in a long series anyways). Kirby Superstar I'm on the fence about, on one side I love that they gave him bat wings and special sword powers, however it comes at the price of him having cheesy dialogue, and a few questionable changes to his look (Muscular arms? Why a calming blue color?) and his boss fight makes him seem dense because he stays in range of your attacks because of how slow he is when he's not attacking.

In Melee, whenever I'm not doing random matches, I always do Link+YLink+Marth+Roy in some way, because I just love sword characters a lot.

Yes I was bored when I typed this.

Morbi

Scavenger
My 2 favorite Nintendo swordsmen are in game already (Link + Meta Knight), and Marth feels like a smash-born swordsman to me (since I haven't played fire emblem yet, but he plays so well in smash games). Lots of people love Ike and whenever I get brawl I may play him to get a little break from playing the other swordsmen. Roy I didn't like all that much except for his Up+B and fully charged Shield breaker (because outside of those things, he's too much like a slow clone of Marth).

I'd like to see other swordsmen, but we already have the main swordsmen in the game now.
As for the other swordsmen
Chrom/Lucina/ All those other swordsmen from Fire Emblem. I haven't played the games, but With Ike and Marth being so popular, I wouldn't mind them adding another fire emblem sword user, they seem to be doing well with it so far in smash.
Takamaru - I've never heard of this character before the smash boards, so I can't say anything about him, but if he's important to nintendo, then sure why not.
Prince Sable - Never heard of this character before this thread. Same situation as with takamaru otherwise.
Isaac/Shulk - I dunno anything about these guys or xenoblade, but that giant red sword looks cool. I saw a picture with the sword open and with energy in the middle, please tell me it doubles as an energy gun thing (I blame old school Link for making me like that idea). There needs to be more hybrid weapons in games.
Ganondorf - He gets the prize for easiest boss that uses a sword award, both in Twilight Princess and in Ocarina, and those fights are the only fights that have made me play the game one handed to see if I can make the game harder. However, Ganondorf in Wind Waker was totally awesome (until you realize it's scripted, and you should stop wailing on him and dodging so you can beat the boss rediculously fast) X_X. With that said, every swordfight with ganon/ganondorf is always epic outside of difficulty. Even so, While I like the idea of him having a sword, I think he should use a trident because it's more iconic to his older versions and because of the fact that it's rare to see any character using a trident in games. Of course, I'm not sure if they'll ever declonify Ganondorf at this point.

I do hope they make it so you can weaken your character in some way so you can always have the beam sword on you, or at least have a beam sword mode. It's hard to make sure people have a beam sword in melee without having boxes/capsules getting in the way. =/

Warning, lots of blabbing why I like sword users feel free to skip:
When I was a kid, I loved kids because of all the shows that made sword characters look cool. However, I don't think I wouldn't like them as much if it weren't for Meta Knight and Link since they are the only sword users that really stick in my head. It was mostly Meta Knight though, because Link is more of a guy using his many tools, just his sword is a tool that can be used for almost everything decently.
Meta Knight is the reason why I like sword users that attack as fast as possible, while keeping their distance and calculating every attack. Which why my main list goes from Link, Marth, Meta knight. the only sword user, then a faster sword user, then the character who made me love swords the most. However, this is more of the little touches throughout Kirby's Adventure that made using a sword + fighting Meta Knight awesome. Meta Knight had a lot of firsts for me, #1 Boss that you see multiple times throughout the game before you fight him #2 First boss that both helps and hinders your progress in a game before you get to him #3 first boss to Block #4 First boss to willingly give you the item that will kill it. #4.5 A boss trying to make it so there is a fair duel. #5 First boss to be of similar size to you, and was fast+unpredictable (faster than Kirby if he charges you when you try to run away.). #6 First boss that makes the whole game look like it's glitching up, and a special hit sound when you hit Meta Knight so that the hits felt satisfying. There are some other tiny things I like about the fight as well, but it left a good impression on me as a kid.
Later versions of Meta Knight seem to be a simplified version of Meta Knight but with new abilities (which happens to just about every single character in a long series anyways). Kirby Superstar I'm on the fence about, on one side I love that they gave him bat wings and special sword powers, however it comes at the price of him having cheesy dialogue, and a few questionable changes to his look (Muscular arms? Why a calming blue color?) and his boss fight makes him seem dense because he stays in range of your attacks because of how slow he is when he's not attacking.

In Melee, whenever I'm not doing random matches, I always do Link+YLink+Marth+Roy in some way, because I just love sword characters a lot.

Yes I was bored when I typed this.
I actually really like this post as it was my mentality when I joined the forums.

The big three sword-users that everyone claims have a decent chance, Shulk, Isaac, and Takamaru. As a Nintendo fan, but not one entirely committed to everything Nintendo, I had no clue who these characters were (aside from Isaac as he was an assist trophy). However, I still didn't understand what Golden Sun was or why people thought he of all people had a chance in Smash. After being a member for quite some time, I now have a sufficient understanding of who these characters are and why they deserve to be in Smash. I will note that the results are negligible, these characters are hardly more important than the usual candidates. They result from a menial attempt to expand the franchise potential to be honest. Isaac is the only one with Smash relevance, although I believe Sakurai has an interest in Takamaru. I am not sure that his interest translates into likelihood though (as he has abandoned or disregarded characters he has wanted prior to Smash 4). Just wanted to share.

Now on to sword-users. I would hate to use the typical argument that most have adopted as their own. However, wielding a sword has little to do with your move-set. Smash could be Soul Calibur and still have an objectively unique and diverse roster. So the point is moot. I would love more sword-users just as I would love more melee users... just as I would love more clawed users. My point is that I do not care how they fight, as long as there is originality incorporated in the move-set.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sword users sucks "you are so weak that you cant fight with your bare hands? what, you even use a shield? is.... is that a boomerang? xD"

Personally I don't care. It's more important to me that series/characters that deserve representation, get representation.
This is how I feel. If every important Nintendo character used a sword, then I'd be fine with an all-swordsman roster. That being said, this is not the case, so I don't want too many swordsmen being introduced this time. Takamaru can bring something unique with his two-handed blade and various projectiles, and Isaac should really be more of a magic user with some sword attacks. Aside from Roy, those are the only sword users I really want, unless we count decloned Ganondorf (who I'd like to see use either a sword or trident) or Tetra (possible knife user). I'd find it pretty boring to have the majority of newcomers be pretty-boy anime characters wielding swords, so I don't want to see the game inundated with Chrom, Shulk, Magnus, Sable, Takamaru, Isaac, etc. all at once.

Like BadRedi said, I'm not too picky. Most fighters primarily rely on punches and kicks while still remaining unique (which makes me irritated when people say that Little Mac cannot be unique or interesting), and there's just enough variation to be had in swordplay. But if sword-users start taking over the roster without differentiating themselves and barely justifying their own inclusions, then I'll start to have a problem. Everything in moderation. Luckily, I don't see this happening.

Lastly, like Morbid said, I care more about a character's playstyle than the weapon they hold in their hands. The sword doesn't necessarily make the playstyle. The playstyle makes the sword. Whatever that means.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Mmm, if the "Find Mii" stage means something, then it seems that the Miis (if they manage to enter in the roster) would fight with a sword one way or the other...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yea, I hate that some people downgrade a character because "We have too many sword users", to me as long as they have a nice difference between the other characters, I don't care, if they have a sword or not.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Roy
Marth
Meta Knight
Isaac (well, i don't know if it counts, I only want him to use the sword in his smash attacks)
Link
Toon Link

So far 4 out of 6

Morbi

Scavenger
Roy
Marth
Meta Knight
Isaac (well, i don't know if it counts, I only want him to use the sword in his smash attacks)
Link
Toon Link

So far 4 out of 6
I misread your name as Orifice Splitter. :awesome:

In any event, the sword users in the game are already fairly unique. The number is padded by clones anyways (such as Roy or Toon Link). Even then, the swords are completely different. Compare Ike and Metaknight, it is hard. They play completely differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom