• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how good do you think my Marth is?

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
have any tips to how my marth can be better btw I'm on an emulator with lots of lag using a keyboard to play so I'm much better than what you saw

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
honestly marth is a pretty cool guy. at first, he's kind of shy, you know. but once he comes out of his shell, he's good people man

AirFair

Marth tho
Your marth isn't bad. but It's not that good either.

You do a lot of flailing, where you just throw out fsmashes, dairs, and other moves and expect them to hit.

I don't see you dashdancing enough, and using wavedashes.

get better at edgeguarding. Take the ledge, or get closer and dtilt, because standing back and fsmashing will never work for you in a high level match, when you get there.

Videowise it was pretty slow and I didn't really want to watch the whole thing lol

You seem to understand marth's moves at a basic level, and you attempted to combo so thats good I guess

Grab more please. Grabs are the best.

Good luck.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Start with:

Play on a Gamecube or Wii and a CRT TV
Use a Gamecube controller.
The game is literally in slomo.
Play with people if you want actual advice. Posting a match of you vs a CPU is not a good way to get feedback.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
have any tips to how my marth can be better btw I'm on an emulator with lots of lag using a keyboard to play so I'm much better than what you saw
Uhh... pretty bad. I'll try to be constructive here. Focus on attacks that won't just work on a CPU. there's no reason a human player would continually slowly fall into your attacks like that. Marths grab is great so use that more. Dash dancing is actually useful so don't just use it to taunt between kills. It's pretty clear to me that you face CPUs more than human players by your playstyle, find a local tournament or something and play against some talented marth players.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Uhh... pretty bad. I'll try to be constructive here. Focus on attacks that won't just work on a CPU. there's no reason a human player would continually slowly fall into your attacks like that. Marths grab is great so use that more. Dash dancing is actually useful so don't just use it to taunt between kills. It's pretty clear to me that you face CPUs more than human players by your playstyle, find a local tournament or something and play against some talented marth players.
well if i ****ing just go back in fourth in front of like i don't know maybe m2k's marth then he could go into a combo

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Your marth isn't bad. but It's not that good either.

You do a lot of flailing, where you just throw out fsmashes, dairs, and other moves and expect them to hit.

I don't see you dashdancing enough, and using wavedashes.

get better at edgeguarding. Take the ledge, or get closer and dtilt, because standing back and fsmashing will never work for you in a high level match, when you get there.

Videowise it was pretty slow and I didn't really want to watch the whole thing lol

You seem to understand marth's moves at a basic level, and you attempted to combo so thats good I guess

Grab more please. Grabs are the best.

Good luck.
i was on an emulator and I got lots of slow down, when i was editing i couldn't find the right speed up speed so i just sped it up to 1.5, i don't have any recording devices to record a game cube so you know emulator n stuff, and if i did have a capture card i wouldn't be able to use it because i only have a desktop, all I can say is i'll speed it up more next time.Also I can't practice with anyone in my area because i live in North West indiana and its always east and west coast battle but I might be able to netplay someone if possible for practice

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
well if i ****ing just go back in fourth in front of like i don't know maybe m2k's marth then he could go into a combo
You're the one who asked for advice. Your marth can use a lot of improvement. Your strongest area is knowing when to use your Tilts, but even a half decent player would have hit you in between every single one of those attacks.

AirFair

Marth tho
Dashdancing is not just letting yourself get hit. Dashdancing is meant to serve dual purposes. One being to bait with dashes away, and approaches dashing forward. Movement is something any good marth main should know.

What Erayz has said is very true. If you are saying you are better off emulator, then one cannot comment on what we cannot see. There really is no going around that sort of thing. If at sometime in future you get the ability to record off emulator (or get better specs to run emulator at near 60fps), then one can comment on what this particular video is not showing us about your better playing.

If you are unable to find someone to play against, you can still very much improve at the game playing CPUs. CPUs are rather decent at improving your punishment. From my experience, you get the furthest in this game by having an incredible punish game. The other details you sort out one by one. The difficulty in not having good feedback on what a good punish is from a bad punish.

I will give a quick example.

At 0:55 you get a grab from Falco and Uthrow. Well, the thing you have to realize is that your response at this point depends upon the person's DI. There is no reading involved in this if you want it to be done properly. You are going to have to react to DI/tech options very often. If Falco DI'd forward, regrab. Since there was no DI you need to see the tech option. If he techs in place, you can Utilt again. If he rolls left you can still Utilt in place. If he rolls right I am not sure if you can get a turn -> Utilt to work. At the very least, turn -> dash -> SH Uair would work certainly.

A good punish will be trying to react to your opponents options and quickly choose appropriate options that keeps this punish going. However, a punish can have multiple ways.Suppose you get a grab on fox/falco in the middle of the stage. You can choose to combo them to a high percent to launch them offstage or proceed to go with pushing them towards the stage ledge. For example, in Uthrow/Utilt chains you replace an Uair with a Fair/Bair to get them towards the ledge. Then, you switch over to covering recovery options. Although, this is sort of the general jist. I think I have said enough for now. No one ever reads the wall.

AnFun

Smash Rookie
I may not be the best at melee but I can tell you that keyboard skill doesn't translate very well I to gc controller skill.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
yeah I've been using ken tutorials but really i don't think there that helpful because when he plays he just goes out there randomly throws out dancing blade air dodges off ledge and kills him self also in the video i noticed at some parts I should've used counter n stuff but thanks for the help and feed back :) oh and btw dolphin has a record tool that doesn't cause lag but it is in a DTM sort of file and my editor doesn't open that any help on that also?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Don't care about how good you are. Play to learn, play with confidence, Play people better than you.

Don't construct hierarchies of skill in your mind. Don't think "I should beat this guy" or "I'm better than this guy" and play the game to learn. Same goes for people you know you can beat. You'll win more as a result. Mindset is huge. And the human mind is many players' worst enemy.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
I got an update here
I figured how to record at 60fps but i lost sound because my emulator only records frames and not audio
shout out to AirFair and Xeylode thanks for the help :) oh and at 2:03 i showed how dash dancing doesn't really work

Last edited:

AnFun

Smash Rookie
Not to be rude, but you obviously have no idea how to implement or how to use dash dancing. Dash dancing is a simple way to set up grabs, evade, juke, and/or space your opponents. The technique is kinda a mind game, so spamming it randomly will only punish you.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Don't ask for advice if you're not going to take it.
This, all the way. You can't ask for help then act like you're better than others.

Also, don't play on an emulator with a keyboard, that's gonna body you in the long run.

MTGEL33T

Smash Rookie
A few more things. How do you do against non spacies? Not everyone plays them and you seem to just be relying on Marth's ability to juggle them out the wazoo. Spamming abilities like that against somebody like Puff or Sheik will get you killed. Another thing that looks wonky is the use of the Usmash. Marth's Usmash is just awful imo, it's almost always a better option to tilt because it hits a wider area, gets done quicker, and still does good damage while spacing them away from you. I think it can also lead into combos if done right? Idunno don't play Marth, Lastly, you can edge guard space animals with your down B for the lulz.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
A few more things. How do you do against non spacies? Not everyone plays them and you seem to just be relying on Marth's ability to juggle them out the wazoo. Spamming abilities like that against somebody like Puff or Sheik will get you killed. Another thing that looks wonky is the use of the Usmash. Marth's Usmash is just awful imo, it's almost always a better option to tilt because it hits a wider area, gets done quicker, and still does good damage while spacing them away from you. I think it can also lead into combos if done right? Idunno don't play Marth, Lastly, you can edge guard space animals with your down B for the lulz.
the reason i use the up smash is because i cant get into a tilt position on a key board plus i have adrenaline or something and i always hold up anyway when i play smash 4 and i know you can down tilt but i never really get a chance but thanks for the help i really apreciate it oh and for the thing with the juggling if its Purin (i use the japanese name cause its more fun than jigglypuff) I might use a foward air into a down air or the ken combo basically

MKULTRA

Smash Rookie
There is a scene in Indiana. Join the Indianapolis Smash, Purdue Smash, IUB Smash pages.

Play against real people. Videos of you bodying CPU's don't tell us anything. Those techniques you are using won't work on humans.

Last edited:

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
There is a scene in Indiana. Join the Indianapolis Smash, Purdue Smash, IUB Smash pages.

Play against real people. Videos of you bodying CPU's don't tell us anything. Those techniques you are using won't work on humans.
well first I'll need a new gamecube to actually practice on both those videos are out dated plus when i recorded both of those 4 fps I do a lot of stuff now like I got into the habbit of spiking when i get the chance and I know wall teching L canceling dash dancing foxtrotting and how to do the short hop forward air fast fall L cancel approach

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
When you get a gamecube, I'd rather see non-screen capture than low frame rate flailing that is innacurate of skill

Toejam

Smash Rookie
You may know how to do a lot of things on a keyboard but ultimately it's impossible to judge your skill level if you're not using a controller.

Playing against CPUs only helps up to a point. They don't react the same way people do--i.e. they always DI the same way for chaingrabs so it's way easier to predict than playing against other people. If you have any local tournaments, you can always play friendlies with a controller to practice. If you don't have one, usually someone will allow you to borrow one and most venues have a few spares (although the quality of the spares is usually bad so you should just get a controller).

I think its a useful exercise. Before anyone else says anything. What do you honestly think of your own playing?

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
I think its a useful exercise. Before anyone else says anything. What do you honestly think of your own playing?
i think i have very little mind games very minimal tunnel vision bad spacing against pew pew animals side b good at chain grabs but i do need to know the marth shiek match up which is probably the main reason i didn't rank that high in that tournament

D

Deleted member

heres my most recent video of me playing that i have
As of your most recent gameplay that you posted.
CONS:
too much f-smash, it should be used sparingly if you will
don't just stand there and use neutral b, waiting for your opponent to walk into you
haha pretty much don't ever use counter, its easy to read and even easier to punish
save that jump man :(
jump cancel your grabs (if you are doing this i apologise, i didn't notice)
don't just stand there and wait, do something!
i'm not very good at at recognising but i do hope you are l-cancelling
listen to the people behind you that are not playing, they are constantly telling you what to do
don't jump onto stage from the ledge, either roll on or let go of ledge, jump then attack such as n-air
you have to di man
dash more, don't lollygag around the stage
not your fault but the person you are playing is terrible, like my friend who occasionally plays at my house for fun is a million times better

PROS:
you can wavedash well, not very well situation wise but you got the inputs down
good grab timing
nice dash dance, not amazing but meh
good use of side b to recover

Overall your performance is pretty poor (but so is your opponents'), I think this is mainly down to you playing against lvl 9 cpus, when practising alone play against either cpu lvl 1 so you can practise hits against them and they won't bug you too much if you are practising tech skill.

Massive

Smash Champion
This is not meant as a personal attack on you, it is merely a frank expression of your skill level from the examples provided.

You are right above the "I beat all my friends" skill level. That's the skill level very new players with no real tourney experience are at. You can probably easily beat most casual players as well as CPUs pretty reliably.

You do not yet have full control of your character, your movement is slow and visibly predetermined. You are likely very easy to predict and do not adapt to changes in play styles quickly, if at all.

You are not at the skill level that will allow you to implement technical strategy into your gameplay, because even basic actions are still require conscious effort. You very likely have a tendency to mash under pressure and are very much focused on what your character is doing instead of what your opponent is doing, out of necessity.

You are basically at the very beginning of your journey. You may actually become good if you have the motivation, luck, and ability to improve.

I wrote this up a few years ago, it's a short description of the training pattern I take new players through when I'm trying to get them from the level you're at now to a competitive level. I have trained quite a few players this way, some of whom are (maddeningly) even better than I am now. It's a simple framework, guiding you from the fundamentals all the way into advanced tech skill.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
As of your most recent gameplay that you posted.
CONS:
too much f-smash, it should be used sparingly if you will
don't just stand there and use neutral b, waiting for your opponent to walk into you
haha pretty much don't ever use counter, its easy to read and even easier to punish
save that jump man :(
jump cancel your grabs (if you are doing this i apologise, i didn't notice)
don't just stand there and wait, do something!
i'm not very good at at recognising but i do hope you are l-cancelling
listen to the people behind you that are not playing, they are constantly telling you what to do
don't jump onto stage from the ledge, either roll on or let go of ledge, jump then attack such as n-air
you have to di man
dash more, don't lollygag around the stage
not your fault but the person you are playing is terrible, like my friend who occasionally plays at my house for fun is a million times better

PROS:
you can wavedash well, not very well situation wise but you got the inputs down
good grab timing
nice dash dance, not amazing but meh
good use of side b to recover

Overall your performance is pretty poor (but so is your opponents'), I think this is mainly down to you playing against lvl 9 cpus, when practising alone play against either cpu lvl 1 so you can practise hits against them and they won't bug you too much if you are practising tech skill.
yeah i was jc grabbing alot

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
This is not meant as a personal attack on you, it is merely a frank expression of your skill level from the examples provided.

You are right above the "I beat all my friends" skill level. That's the skill level very new players with no real tourney experience are at. You can probably easily beat most casual players as well as CPUs pretty reliably.

You do not yet have full control of your character, your movement is slow and visibly predetermined. You are likely very easy to predict and do not adapt to changes in play styles quickly, if at all.

You are not at the skill level that will allow you to implement technical strategy into your gameplay, because even basic actions are still require conscious effort. You very likely have a tendency to mash under pressure and are very much focused on what your character is doing instead of what your opponent is doing, out of necessity.

You are basically at the very beginning of your journey. You may actually become good if you have the motivation, luck, and ability to improve.

I wrote this up a few years ago, it's a short description of the training pattern I take new players through when I'm trying to get them from the level you're at now to a competitive level. I have trained quite a few players this way, some of whom are (maddeningly) even better than I am now. It's a simple framework, guiding you from the fundamentals all the way into advanced tech skill.

Good luck!
yeah im trying to form a very agile marth style thanks, the only thing i'm really good at is ledge guarding the only mind games i have are with ledgeguarding to add to that.

Last edited:

Cool

Smash Journeyman
You have to dash dance. You can walk sometimes to mix it up, but you should be DD and wavedashing most of the time.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Eh you're on your way, you will improve fast as long as you are self-aware.

The good thing is that it's obvious you are passionate about the game and the character, that is all that matters.

As far as critique it's far too early to give any advice that I'm sure you are not already aware of. Just work on spacing, movement, and SHFFLs - Marth is all about maximizing attack density since his moves have brief hitbox windows <- that is his only real weakness that can be capitalized on and punished.

Top Bottom