• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get into Melee?

BEES

Smash Lord
So... here's a thread.

Tell us your life's story about how you got into Smash, and maybe why you continue to play Melee.

I was introduced to Smash through a neighbor with a cube, during my sophomore year of college. My friends and I didn't get to play it much; the neighbors ran out of time for smash early in the year, but I was hooked. The week I spent learning Melee/64 was fun, and I knew this was a game I wanted to get good at.

So junior year, someone donated a gamecube to the dorm. Aaron and I dropped everything and played Melee religiously for half a year. We sucked, but we loved it. We didn't know anyone in the competitive scene, although we knew some better players (Cole & Rashid) who claimed to know NC-Bobby, and that was our only tie. There were maybe 8-10 other people who dropped by to play. This was fall 2007, and Melee was BIG.

Then in 2008, Brawl came out. We were pumped. I even bought a Wii just for Brawl, and I had never owned a console before in my life; I had always been a PC gamer. I knew it wasn't going to have wavedashing or L-canceling, but I figured it would be a new game with new tricks, and I didn't want to have to learn that stuff anyway.

So, even though we were very bad when we started playing Brawl... we noticed something was off after a few months. We enjoyed it, but we got to a point where we couldn't find any new combos, and we had only found some short ones... it was disillusioning. I wanted to like the game though; I wanted to be right in thinking that it was a proper fighting game that had improved on its predecessors somehow (and that I hadn't paid $300 for nothing), so we kept at it.

Then Brawl+ came out, and that was it. We spent a whole day setting up the Twilight Hack and the code manager, and never looked back. I haven't touched Brawl since that day, and I was fully willing to admit the game was a disappointment. I enjoyed the year I spent playing Brawl+. That's still the variant of Smash Bros I've sunk the most time and interest into. I went back to Melee and learned to wavedash/l-cancel just so I could play Melee friendlies at Brawl+ tournaments and not make a fool of myself. Never would have predicted that Brawl+ would die out and I would wind up playing Melee competitively full-time. But... that's what happened.

So now you guys have to put up with me. But make no mistake, I like it here. I love the speed of Melee, and while I wish they had developed B+ to that point, I am glad that the pause has given me time to come back and learn the game I originally got hooked to. Hopefully Project M will deliver the goods.

But yeah... I basically got into the scene through the hacks.

I still have mixed feelings about getting a Wii, but at least it has a good Mario Kart I guess. And there's always Tatsunoko and Guilty Gear, but Smash is still my primary interest.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
I originally started playing in highschool at friend's house. We would go to his house and play casually every couple weekends. And by casually I mean items on, free-for-all and all that jazz.

I then went to college and became friends with this guy randomly. One day the subject of melee happened to pop up and he was like "yeah, i play a little. You wanna play sometime?" So naturally i was like, helllzz yeah! I then got completely owned by this guy cause he was a competitive player and i knew absolutely nothing about competitive smash except that roy was the most broken character in the game and that mewtwo was one of the best (LOL).

He then told me about smashboards and tech-skill, so i looked up everything from videos to guides, trying to get better. After that, i met up with some even better players in the area and getting even better. Then i joined the army, moved to sierra vista and got to the amazingly awesome level of play im at now :D i continue to play melee because its the only thing that makes the army worth-while lol

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
The first time I played melee was at a neighbor's house. It was the first time i played a gamecube and thought the game was amazing. My parents got my brother and I a gamecube six months later for christmas and melee was the first game we got. I thought it was awesome and thought i was good... I played only with my brother for about a year and a half. Then I got to highschool and entered a tournament there. I won my first match and then lost. That marked the beginning of my obsession with melee. When i think of highschool, the highlight of it is always the amazing matches we had afterschool.

Around my junior year, brawl came out and we all left melee. Most of my friends liked it, but i was never satisfied. It was too slow and no comboes. It did not give me the same excitement as melee had. So I decided to retire from brawl as well after only playing it for about 3 months...

About 1 year later, I was a freshmen in college. I was bored so my friend convinced me to play brawl with him. We played and then we talked about the old times in highschool of playing melee. Another friend joined us and decided to go to gamestop to buy a copy of melee.

That moment marked the rebirth of melee for us and our introduction into competitive smash. I quickly picked up my main Marth again and did what i could never do in highschool. I mastered wavedashing and L cancelling. Within 1 year my friend and I had gone from being the worst to the best melee players in our town...

Im a sophomore in college now and I dont see myself ever completely giving up melee.
I think its the greatest game of all time.
Its brought so many friends and rivals... So many intense moments.... and so many memories that I treasure...
I'd never give up my time with melee for anything in the world...

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Well to make a long story short..
I've grew up with it. It was obe one the first games I ever bought for my n64. loved it but never really got super into it.

Then years later when i got my gamecube it was the first game I got. And just like 64 I played it alot and liked it but it got the back seat when I got a new game. I still played from time to time.

So my freshman year of highschool my and my friends had this boring combo of homeroom then studyhall in the same room for an hour. My teacher had this tv in the corner that just sat there.. So I got to thinking. Let's play some video games. Something anything.

Since my teacher was cool with the idea I brought in my cube with all my games. And from day one the only game we played was melee. We loved it. It was so fun and competitive to us and we all got really hyped about it. So we continued to play everyday in home room all through highschool.

Now around my juinior year.. My friend and I were talking smash and he told me to look up some guy named "pc chris" so I started watching matches online and learning new things and tricks. Me and him started practicing together and then we would go back to school and **** errbody!! That's when we got hooked..

So the summer before my senior year we played almost everyday. And went to our first tourny. It was called focus cancel in Columbus Ohio. My first tournment match ever was against drephen. I got four stocked twice.. After that tourny I realized how good people really are how big the community is. So since then me and my friend and brother have been playing together and going to tournys when we can, like pound 4(my fav ever)

So many good times and more to come!
Melee<333

Years pass and

Geist

Smash Master
Aw this is going to be a long story, I know it...

I've literally been playing smash for the majority of my life.
It started with Smash 64, introduced to me by a good friend who lived down the street from me. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time, but I already knew it was one of my favorite games the moment I played it. I never went any further than playing it as a party game though, items never came off, I only played with a few friends. I never got my own copy when I got an N64 of my own, and I've always regretted that :/

Anyways, fast forward a few years and Melee comes out. I pre ordered my own copy and got it the day it came out, and from there I played it practically every day, and got to the point where I was challenging the neighborhood kids to see who was the best.
I finally arrived into the tournament scene in 07, when my friend invited me to a tourney with a few other guys. I still remember thinking how much we were going to rock the joint, then the switch to complete awe as we saw our first match being played in real life. I still remember the look on my friend's face as we watched a Luigi 4 stock a helpless Falco, a demonstration of what was to inevitably happen to us.
From there I attended tournaments every so often, but never got the obsessive spirit that pushed me to actually get really great at the game. I attended tournaments and smashfests mostly for the social interaction and to just hang with people.

Then Brawl came out. Like lots of people I was anticipating it since the day it was announced, and followed every little update fanatically. My community ended up getting Japanese bootlegged copies a few weeks before the actual game came out, and I was stoked. And when I played it, it was fantastic, lived up to its hype in every way. But slowly, after a while it just felt empty, and barebones, like I just couldn't DO anything. I told myself it was new, and that melee didn't get the way it was overnight. Still, something just nagged me, I could never remember melee feeling like that... I attended a few tournaments, and I found it wierd that I was actually getting bored of playing before the day was even done.
So I dropped it, and never looked back, ever. I might play it at parties to put people in their places, yada yada, but that's it.

So back to melee it was; at the time I was stuck in a position where Smashing wasn't a possibility, but I promised myself that as soon as I got the chance, I would get good at melee, start from scratch with a new alias (which I haven't changed my SWF account to yet), and do what I missed out the first time around.
And then I posted in this thread and wrote an autobiography.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I played it at a rich guy's house (who had all the latest Nintendo stuff), and I thought it was amazing. I didn't end up getting it because I heard about Brawl coming out, and I got that instead. After watching lots of awesome Melee videos, I wanted to try it, but I thought Melee was overly complicated, so I went for Brawl+.

It was great, and game me a sense of involvement, until they split off and made everything interesting "Back Room Exclusive" and I realized there was no tournament scene. I went to my university smash club, which only plays Melee, and BANG I was hooked.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Played Smash 64 at a friend's house; never owned a Nintendo 64, but I have fond memories of it.

Heard of the Gamecube, how it was the next best thing, and saw Melee... Looked up info on it, no joke, and was pulled in at the prospect of unlocking and playing as Mewtwo (avid RBY/GSC Pkmn fan wept tears of joy).
Bought Smash Bros. Melee even before I owned the Gamecube, got the GCN like a week later on my birthday. The game met EVERY expectation I had for it; whatever flaws it had, I looked to as being new things to learn, overcome, or just flat-out enjoy (Black Hole Glitch is still the best).

Yeah... That's pretty much it. Never saw the game in action before I got it; I didn't feel I needed to. If it was anything like Smash 64, it was worth my money. (Really wish I could've said the same for Brawl, but I could care less for that cash-nabbing merchandise-whoring garbage.)

Jonas

Smash Champion
I just met people through common interest in Nintendo. I was bad at getting friends so I had to visit Nintendo fansites and hook up with people who lived somewhere else.
Of course these guys were totally into Melee and they also played it competitively (they were a bunch of scrubs though :bee:).
I played Melee from time to time when I got the chance, but I never got into 'real' competitive Smash with cool stuff like L-cancel and wavedash.
At some point Brawl got announced, and after getting hyped up by the Dojo website, I decided to import the US version and get as good at it as I could.
After played a whole lot of online an as much offline as I could (rare :( ) for about a year, I decided to pick up Melee. The Danish Smash community was also starting to really get together during that time (early 09) and it was sort of focused on Melee, so it just made sense for me to jump on the Melee wagon. Also I soon learned just how much better Melee was.

So that's basically it :)

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
BRAWL got me into Melee.

Played Brawl for the first time a bit after launch. Started playing melee after watching a few videos (shined blind, a bunch of ken vids), started practicing tech skill for hours, never looked back.

I'm better than I thought I would be at this point in my playing! I love this game

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
>was the best out of all my friends, nobody could touch me (im sure you could relate)
>Went online in 2006 to try and go to a tourney, become pro (which I already was)
>Was on another website discussing me going pro, then some guy gives me a smashboards link.
>Hi everyone <3

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Well i entered to the Instituto NAcional, one of the best schools on my country. Near there is a mall and one day i entered. At a side i saw a cibercofee with melee, and thats is how i started to play melee XP

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Long ago I used to play smash64 at my friends house, especially when other friends were there, I loved the game. A while later I bought my first console, gamecube, and it came with ssbm. I remember asking the guy at the store if they didn't have "the old smash bros", I had no care for melee really, I didn't know about it, and I just wanted the game I had been playing.
Nevertheless, fell in love with the game, and had a number of friends that played it as well. I considered it the best video game even before I even knew what wavedashing was. I got ssbm, between 1-3 years after it was released, not sure.

>was the best out of all my friends, nobody could touch me (im sure you could relate)
Pretty much, yup. One friend and I had a constant competition, In retrospect it was probably tied, if not one person better by a slight margin. And I probably thought I was one of the top 10 smashers in the whole world. lol

BEES

Smash Lord
For years I spent most of my time playing with just one other person. We constantly tried to one-up each other, but for the most part we were even until he dropped out of school. He stopped playing smash and fell behind. The other person I played frequently was definitely better. I think that guy might have slipped under the radar as the best Brawl+ player in the state.

But anyway, I was never the clear-cut best player in my group, although I liked to think I was.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
waywayway back in the day I bought the game because 64 was mad ****. me and three other friends played the game non-stop until 2 of them became slightly bored with it after a while and then stopped playing. and eventually my other friend stopped playing too cause, yaknow drugs were in n' stuff.

years went by and I had nobody to play with. I ocassionally played to work on my techskill eventhough it was insanly ****ty at the time and I did not know a thing. Then i met a group of kids who played brawl and they hosted brawl tournys in town so they invited me. i thought "w.e.. it aint melee.. but its a social gathering"

I very quickly became great friends with the guys who played brawl and constantly tried to convince them to play melee. It took me a long time but we finally sat down and played and after a day or two they got the hand of it and started to love it just as much as me.

thats my story. +1, eh?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
waywayway back in the day I bought the game because 64 was mad ****. me and three other friends played the game non-stop until 2 of them became slightly bored with it after a while and then stopped playing. and eventually my other friend stopped playing too cause, yaknow drugs were in n' stuff.

years went by and I had nobody to play with. I ocassionally played to work on my techskill eventhough it was insanly ****ty at the time and I did not know a thing. Then i met a group of kids who played brawl and they hosted brawl tournys in town so they invited me. i thought "w.e.. it aint melee.. but its a social gathering"

I very quickly became great friends with the guys who played brawl and constantly tried to convince them to play melee. It took me a long time but we finally sat down and played and after a day or two they got the hand of it and started to love it just as much as me.

thats my story. +1, eh?
Great story man, yeah drugs boooo.
Do those guys still play melee?

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
We had a Gamecube in the Grade 12 lounge, and I played it a lot. Then got frustrated that I kept losing, so I ended up here and learned how to get better. Since then, I've been to a couple Melee tourneys, repeatedly getting demolished. BC Canada and their barely-worse-than-zhu-ness (my first tourney was the one that Zhu went to, he 2x4ed me). Really, after the most recent tourney, I felt BAD about going because I thought I was boring to play against...

Before that, I kinda knew what smash was, and kinda enjoyed it, but never really played it because "mommy and daddy" didn't want a console in the house. Seriously, the one time there was one, it was rented for my birthday party. I later convinced them to get a Wii when Wii Fit came out, and since then we have yet to obtain a copy of Wii Fit XD

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I saw my best friend in 2nd grade play ssb once for classic mode as falcon it's not like he was great or anything I just knew I wanted that game even if i didn't know it's name. like 3 years later I got a GC because I knew that game whatever it was had to be on the GC. It was and I quickly found it. I played for like 2 years without knowing there was a 2 player mode when I found I flipped. I also tested things early on like compared wieght and made charts compareing clones and junk.

I think it's amazing still how jigglypuff is in this game she's amazing and when I unlocked pichu I didn't know what could happen next pichu was so cool. And I noticed from testing his f-smash was way to good. I still have that new feeling of the game like a little kid.

when I discovered how to do smashes I endlessly did it till I felt like I could always do them. When I bought it over to my dad's house I Mained ice climbers and 2nd jigglypuff ice climbers I spammed d-smash, dash attack, sheild grab and upairs to up-B when I landed a dash attack. When I saw videos I started spamming ice clicks as a way to force my oppnent to approach.

The funny thing is I found out about serious smash from youtube poop that's how I came across blarw. I watched updates everyday. I got a wiii for it but somehow I discovered pro melee matches before brlaw because I remember being hurt from seeing chu dats videos I thought I suck i'll never be that great really I never thought I was an amazing player like other people.

after a month of playing brlaw I quit It had no soul and it felt dead my brother spammed metaknight because it was to easy. I refused to chain throw as king dedede and hated what happened to ice climbers they made d-smash feel less than sex.

after blawr I started to start really learning meleeI tryed before but I simply didn't believe in myself. it took nearly 2 years to perfect the wd still not oos but I can WD amazingly like great spacing and so you can't predict my pattern very well.

but now I can JC shine people with 3 minutes of messing around with it.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
I was always a huge video gamer, especially when I first got my N64 when I was about 6 or 7 along with Banjo-Kazooie. I originally wanted it because I was playing Smash 64 at my friends house and when I got that game I was addicted. I didn't know any of the advanced moves, it mostly was Kirby using Smash attacks.

When I got my gamecube when I was 9 or 10 when it first came out, Melee was the first game I go and I played it non stop. I was always better than my friends in melee and 64 and I always wished there was a professional league for it. I thought I was cool because I started with Marth and just FSmashed things. To tell the truth, I never knew that the Tip was stronger until I read it on Smash Dojo or whatever, the thing that slowly released information about Brawl. Of course I wasn't that old.

I saw the True Life, I'm a professional gamer and they had professional smash and I never knew they had it. From then on, I wanted to go pro but since I was like 13, I knew it wasn't going to happen anytime soon with my parents and all. Now that I'm 17 going on 18, I really want to go pro and except for one local tournament, RoM3 is going to be my first legitimate tournament... hopefully if I can go...

GO MARTH!

Zodiac

Smash Master
Since a little after I can remember I've been a nintendo fan, and naturally freaked out when smash64 came around, I never owned it but I rented it numerous times and got "really good" at it. When melee was anounced I flipped out and got a gamecube at launch. Then I started playing melee when it came out, I only lost to computers when I started out, then after a few months I lost to no one. Its not a stretch to say that in 4 years I lost less than 10 matches, this includes everyone I came across at that point. I quite playing because the game became boring to me, I never ever lost. Roll around to 2006, I hadn't touched the game in a couple years but I was still a hardcore nintendo fan. i subscribed to nintendo power and when the issue came out that featured smashboards and an article about wavedashing, Wherein wavedashing was described as "A technique only the best of the best" were able to use. I promptly started practicing wavedashing and looking for videos. I found Smashboards a few days later and saw the tier list. Unlike most noobs I didn't trash the list when I saw it, I agreed with it completely, even though I mained link I knew that other character were just plain better than he was. I played sheik semi regularly anyway so i figured I would start using her a bit more as a back up, I was a little discouraged by the lack of link mains in tournaments...until that is I found a video of the germ. A week later The Hylian nightmare came out and my hope was renewed! Ever since then I've been trying to get better, needles to say since I got into competitive smash I have lost more than my share of matches. If you took the time read all this props to you.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, i saw Bombsoldier vs Jing which was named ssbm hardcore match. Then I saw ken vs masashi. Those two videos sent me on a hunt for knowledge, eventually me ending up here and where I am today.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Yep the 'ssbm hardcore match' was one of the first inspirations for me in smash. i just remember thinking how ****ing cool it would be to have that much techskill. and it is ****ing cool, being able to move like that in smash/freestyle is really fun.

PC (vs ken at mlg mostly) was also a huge influence for me after watching bombsoldier lose to ken, especially with the chain grabs ken did to bomb, it made me so mad back then lol.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
My friend Jon-Paul got me into melee, I was a noob, wanted to get better, did, and I still want to get MORE BETTER.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I saw the Wombo combo

it was all over from there

oddly enough, i spent a few weeks watching HMW's vids and looking for an online community before i accidentally stumbled upon Smashboards

good to be here

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well I was already going to tournaments before joining smashboards, it's just that some people had asked me if I went and I said no.

So I heard of Smashboards from people I played, and then joined when brawl came out.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
the ones who finally saw the light
Oh yeah we have smashfests and tournaments regularly and I play melee with them atleast 2 times a week. used to almost play every day of the week lol.. but sadly now there is mad school work and stuff and girlfriends and what-not that get in the way of smash.

but still, im lucky to play 2-3 times a week with evenly skilled players. I know some people dont have anyone close enough to them to play with.

BEES

Smash Lord
pretty sure if it wasn't for youtube to give us inspiration none of us would be competively smashing
we owe the people that upload tournament vids a huge debt of gratitude

regardless of what happens to the community, melee and 64 are immortalized thanks to them

StoneColdBeast

Smash Cadet
Well, I had always played the game (since launch), but I saw Ken vs. Isai from MOAST 3 toward the end of 2005 and instantly knew I wanted to play the game competitively (learn advanced techniques, go to tournaments, etc..) They were so fast and were doing such interesting smart things I was intrigued, it's like they were playing a completely different game than I had experienced up to that point, and I had heard there was a large competitive scene so I was hooked.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well, I was bored in June/July of 2007, and I had run out of ideas on how to improve my casual Mario(lol). I was really bored that day and decided to look on Youtube for any videos of players that could beat me, because I didn't see how they could do it.

I searched for "super smash brothers Melee professionals" and got this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqxyN4NhBo

I had no idea what was going on but I loved it.
Then, on the side bar, I saw "ssbm hardcore match" with Bombsoldier playing against Jing. I was even more enthralled with what I saw, and the link to Wak's "Advanced How to Play" in the side bar of that video set me up with all I needed then.

Basically, I got really lucky while I was bored one day lol.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
"watch two among the top players. Marvel at Capt Jack's dk whooping up on Ikki's Fox"

lol, capt jack gets alot of sick combos in that match.

fusionnoble

Smash Cadet
I played Melee casually like the rest of the world.. then one day i found online some weird thing called wavedashing awhile ago haha then i found there was a competitive community to Melee

Soo i made a SWF account, and slowly picked it up..

Top Bottom