• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get into Melee?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I don't even remember how I found the Advanced to Play video. Luckily I fell upon this doc vid by Lunin I think? I dunno. But it was an advanced how to play doctor mario vid and thats where I got most of my tools I know about from... Pill fh pill blah blah blah shbawd... uh and everything else I think... I should watch it again in case I forgot anything xD

I was forced to play melee because no one else in my area plays Smash64 or Brawl competitively. That is my reason for playing melee lol

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
i watched m2k videos and they were pretty cool and i wanted to do what he did so i went to tourneys and practiced w/ my best friend a lot and stuff

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
It all started in December 2006.
First, my brother started beating with my. My run-away throw items tactic with Fox started to fail against his Marth, so I decided to practice. I did this for about 4 months before encountering my first pro player.

A friend had mentioned some mystery guy who mained Ganon and beat everyone, so I decided to switch to him. I hit google and discovered smashboards. My goal was to train hard and go to the smash tournament coming up. When I got there, I encountered said mystery guy. He was the first pro I had every played and I was ***** accordingly. I was mad and upset, but I knew what I had to do.

I discovered a local player at the tournament who was also pretty good. We started playing every other day at college. I was just some noob, but my determination soon brought me victory. One, after the other. Now that I considered myself good, I found an opportunity to play Xzalla, the mystery guy from before. He still wrecked me, but I did better.

As the years passed, I of course became better and better and eventually started winning against more and more people, including Xzalla, who inspired me in the first place. I should be seeing you all at Pound to prove it!

dinopawnz

Smash Rookie
i used to play smash on my n64 and one day i went to my friends house and he was so good at a game called melee. My friend was better than me at almost every game but in this one i would constantly just get owned and my friend would always have like 10 people at his house just playing this game and he would own everyone. Eventually, he became ridiculosuly addicted to the game and me being his friend, i got addicted too and cant stop playing the game. My brother also plays as well. Eventually brawl came out.....I remember that day. My friend was so hyped and i played the game the day it came out on the new wii which my friend bought just for brawl...IT SUCKED!! i played it once in my life and i didnt even have enough time to give it a second chance because the next day, i went to my friends house...to my surprise, my friend showed me a video he made in which he took a hammer and smashed the brawl cd in a bunch of tiny pieces...next thing i know, my friend went to gamestop and traded in his almost brand new wii for a game cube.. After that day, we cannot stop playing melee

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
My friend sent me the pc vs ken mlg ny grandfinals match 3 and then linked to advanced how to play in the side bar

was tight

back in 07...yep

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
I used to play the original Smash on N64. So obviously when Melee came out as a launch title.... I didn't get it lol. I got Star Wars: Rogue Leader instead, as a Christmas present with my Jet Black Gamecube. I rented it the next day with my Blockbuster giftcard, and I thought the coolest part was the new throws (up and down).

Then as soon as school started back up, a new kid moved to Seymour and was in two of my classes. He had Melee, and I got to play it with him during the weekends. He mained Marth and so I decided to main Roy. I thought Roy was better cause he had fire.... and his attacks were stronger. Eventually my friend dropped Melee and played new games as they came out. He introduced me to Resident Evil, with the gamecube remake. I introduced him to the sonic advanced games. Around the time Metroid Prime came out, I let him borrow it a few days after I bought it. I thought the graphics were awesome at the time, but I didn't care for it that much. I'm a strong believer that a real metroid game is 2D, but that's a whole different story. Anyways, he borrowed Metroid and my black 251 memory card. In exchange, I got to borrow Melee.

Well, he lost my 251 memory card, and so I kept his copy of Melee. (Fun Fact: I've never actually bought Melee in the three copies I've gone through, my friend's, my nephew's, and a burned copy) At that point, I became "that guy". You know, the one who plays a lot on his own, and the difference in skill makes other friends not want to play anymore. I dropped Roy and picked up Mewtwo. I thought his fair was ******. A few months later, I dropped Mewtwo and picked up Sheik instead. I stuck with her for the next five years. I also picked up Jigglypuff around the same time, but she was only a secondary character to play with friends. I also believed for the longest time, her down b was a completely useless move. Eventually, my friend didn't want to play anymore, and I quit sometime in the summer of 2004.

About three years ago, there were about 11 of us in Seymour that played at a friend's house a lot. Myself, Br4n, and the rest never visited the boards. Me and this kid Ryan (Pope/Pop3), were the best out of everyone. Pop3 used Falco and I used Sheik. We didn't use any advanced techniques in this crew, and we didn't even know about smashboards or tournaments. I'd adopted playing with no items with my original friend from '02, because we hated the luck factor. Pop3 liked that idea, and everyone else just sorta followed suit. We'd also play with 10 stocks, and only on final destination for 1v1's, and Temple for FFA/2v2. I could never beat Pop3. Part of it was he was naturally good at predicting, and the other part was that he'd been playing since launch. But eventually I just started getting faster and faster with Sheik. I learned throwing aerial needles had no landing lag, and it got to the point where the matches would come down to the wire. At that point, Ryan retired and didn't play the game anymore. He didn't want anyone to take his title as "the best".

With his retiring, the whole Seymour crew sort of broke up. Prior to that point, the crew played together for a good six months, every day. None of us had school, do to being drop-outs or graduates with no ambition for higher learning. Out of 11 of us, there ended up being three left. Me, Br4n and milkbird. Neither of those two were close to as good as Pop3 (who still beats them in friendlies to this day, being as out of practice as he is). At that point, I'd felt I'd "mastered" Sheik, and decided to main Jiggs exclusively. I also learned about SmashBoards due to gamefaqs' brawl board. I watched some videos and couldn't believe how fast "pro's" played. I figured that there was no point in learning these advanced techniques in Melee, Brawl was just around the corner. I'll just wait and start with a new game, new ATs, clean slate.

Looking back, I didn't realize how bad of a game brawl really was for a long time. I mained Jigglypuff and secondary was MK. I was pretty good, but who wasn't at Brawl? I could beat a lot of people on GFaqs on Wi-Fi, and I decided I should go to a tournament. How much harder could the competition get? Well, it got a lot harder. People who spend money to go to a tournament are actually good. They DI'd, which I thought was a lost concept to everyone but myself, due to Wi-Fi and the '07 Seymour Melee Crew. Her "combos" didn't work, and Snake and MK were super gay. In order to stand a chance in tourney, I switched MK and Jiggs around, and MK was my new main. I did alright with him, I'd win two or three sets before getting knocked out. This lasted up until about November of '09. I played Melee for the first time since Brawl had come out. It felt completely different from Brawl, and how I remembered it even. I sucked, and the two friends leftover from the Crew beat me so bad. I had completely lost all the skill I had in Melee, due to Brawl.

Eventually I was able to put into words, how trashy my favorite character, :jigglypuf, was in Brawl. I made a thread about it (if you dig really deep, you can probably find it lol), and I realized how much I hated (hate is a strong word, but it's how I felt) the Brawl jiggs board (cept Glick and Thinkaman. Random shout-out to Ryko, awesome guy), especially illinalex24. Everyone there "knew" better than one another, and there was no organization. A terrible character, a terrible community for that character, a terrible game. Then something amazing happened..

The Wombo Combo :suess:

I probably watched that clip 200 times in a row (and that's being conservative). My interest in Melee was completely revived. I'd subscribed to TheWaffle77, and watched all his videos the next few days. Then I saw the whole FAST1 set with M2K vs Shiz, and that cemented it. I was back, and I wanted to be better than ever before. Since I was already ****ty due to months of only Brawl, I decided to implement ATs while going through the proccess of adjusting back to Melee. I mainly used Jiggs, and WoP was amazing. Uthrow -> Rest was amazing. It was nice to play Jiggs and have real combos, and a decent character. Then I picked up Falco, and SHL and Dair and Shine and Nair were all amazing.

- Entered Rom 2 almost a year after coming back to Melee, got ***** in Pools. I beat two kids and lost to three (Four stocked by Gordon/G-Money). It was really awesome though.

- Went to Pound 4, and I made it to second round of pools. I was happy that I improved

- Recently made it to doubles GFs in a local tournament, and took home money :D. Got a taste, and I want more XD.

And that, is my Melee story. I'm not friends with the original kid that I got Melee from. He caught me smoking outside of school junior year, and wasn't friends with me any more. Which is funny, cause now he's an alcoholic and rolls every weekend. And all I do, is smoke cigs
and a little green lol
. The Seymour Crew is more or less dead. Br4n moved to Florida, and now it's only me and milkbird. He has a flatscreen lcd that lags, so I refuse to play with him.

I've met some really awesome people here in CT that play Melee recently, and are way better than any of my old friends/crewmates. SloX, strawhats, zebra, Kupo15. You guys ****.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I used to play the original Smash on N64. So obviously when Melee came out as a launch title.... I didn't get it lol. I got Star Wars: Rogue Leader instead, as a Christmas present with my Jet Black Gamecube. I rented it the next day with my Blockbuster giftcard, and I thought the coolest part was the new throws (up and down).

Then as soon as school started back up, a new kid moved to Seymour and was in two of my classes. He had Melee, and I got to play it with him during the weekends. He mained Marth and so I decided to main Roy. I thought Roy was better cause he had fire.... and his attacks were stronger. Eventually my friend dropped Melee and played new games as they came out. He introduced me to Resident Evil, with the gamecube remake. I introduced him to the sonic advanced games. Around the time Metroid Prime came out, I let him borrow it a few days after I bought it. I thought the graphics were awesome at the time, but I didn't care for it that much. I'm a strong believer that a real metroid game is 2D, but that's a whole different story. Anyways, he borrowed Metroid and my black 251 memory card. In exchange, I got to borrow Melee.

Well, he lost my 251 memory card, and so I kept his copy of Melee. (Fun Fact: I've never actually bought Melee in the three copies I've gone through, my friend's, my nephew's, and a burned copy) At that point, I became "that guy". You know, the one who plays a lot on his own, and the difference in skill makes other friends not want to play anymore. I dropped Roy and picked up Mewtwo. I thought his fair was ******. A few months later, I dropped Mewtwo and picked up Sheik instead. I stuck with her for the next five years. I also picked up Jigglypuff around the same time, but she was only a secondary character to play with friends. I also believed for the longest time, her down b was a completely useless move. Eventually, my friend didn't want to play anymore, and I quit sometime in the summer of 2004.

About three years ago, there were about 11 of us in Seymour that played at a friend's house a lot. Myself, Br4n, and the rest never visited the boards. Me and this kid Ryan (Pope/Pop3), were the best out of everyone. Pop3 used Falco and I used Sheik. We didn't use any advanced techniques in this crew, and we didn't even know about smashboards or tournaments. I'd adopted playing with no items with my original friend from '02, because we hated the luck factor. Pop3 liked that idea, and everyone else just sorta followed suit. We'd also play with 10 stocks, and only on final destination for 1v1's, and Temple for FFA/2v2. I could never beat Pop3. Part of it was he was naturally good at predicting, and the other part was that he'd been playing since launch. But eventually I just started getting faster and faster with Sheik. I learned throwing aerial needles had no landing lag, and it got to the point where the matches would come down to the wire. At that point, Ryan retired and didn't play the game anymore. He didn't want anyone to take his title as "the best".

With his retiring, the whole Seymour crew sort of broke up. Prior to that point, the crew played together for a good six months, every day. None of us had school, do to being drop-outs or graduates with no ambition for higher learning. Out of 11 of us, there ended up being three left. Me, Br4n and milkbird. Neither of those two were close to as good as Pop3 (who still beats them in friendlies to this day, being as out of practice as he is). At that point, I'd felt I'd "mastered" Sheik, and decided to main Jiggs exclusively. I also learned about SmashBoards due to gamefaqs' brawl board. I watched some videos and couldn't believe how fast "pro's" played. I figured that there was no point in learning these advanced techniques in Melee, Brawl was just around the corner. I'll just wait and start with a new game, new ATs, clean slate.

Looking back, I didn't realize how bad of a game brawl really was for a long time. I mained Jigglypuff and secondary was MK. I was pretty good, but who wasn't at Brawl? I could beat a lot of people on GFaqs on Wi-Fi, and I decided I should go to a tournament. How much harder could the competition get? Well, it got a lot harder. People who spend money to go to a tournament are actually good. They DI'd, which I thought was a lost concept to everyone but myself, due to Wi-Fi and the '07 Seymour Melee Crew. Her "combos" didn't work, and Snake and MK were super gay. In order to stand a chance in tourney, I switched MK and Jiggs around, and MK was my new main. I did alright with him, I'd win two or three sets before getting knocked out. This lasted up until about November of '09. I played Melee for the first time since Brawl had come out. It felt completely different from Brawl, and how I remembered it even. I sucked, and the two friends leftover from the Crew beat me so bad. I had completely lost all the skill I had in Melee, due to Brawl.

Eventually I was able to put into words, how trashy my favorite character, :jigglypuf, was in Brawl. I made a thread about it (if you dig really deep, you can probably find it lol), and I realized how much I hated (hate is a strong word, but it's how I felt) the Brawl jiggs board (cept Glick and Thinkaman. Random shout-out to Ryko, awesome guy), especially illinalex24. Everyone there "knew" better than one another, and there was no organization. A terrible character, a terrible community for that character, a terrible game. Then something amazing happened..

The Wombo Combo :suess:

I probably watched that clip 200 times in a row (and that's being conservative). My interest in Melee was completely revived. I'd subscribed to TheWaffle77, and watched all his videos the next few days. Then I saw the whole FAST1 set with M2K vs Shiz, and that cemented it. I was back, and I wanted to be better than ever before. Since I was already ****ty due to months of only Brawl, I decided to implement ATs while going through the proccess of adjusting back to Melee. I mainly used Jiggs, and WoP was amazing. Uthrow -> Rest was amazing. It was nice to play Jiggs and have real combos, and a decent character. Then I picked up Falco, and SHL and Dair and Shine and Nair were all amazing.

- Entered Rom 2 almost a year after coming back to Melee, got ***** in Pools. I beat two kids and lost to three (Four stocked by Gordon/G-Money). It was really awesome though.

- Went to Pound 4, and I made it to second round of pools. I was happy that I improved

- Recently made it to doubles GFs in a local tournament, and took home money :D. Got a taste, and I want more XD.

And that, is my Melee story. I'm not friends with the original kid that I got Melee from. He caught me smoking outside of school junior year, and wasn't friends with me any more. Which is funny, cause now he's an alcoholic and rolls every weekend. And all I do, is smoke cigs
and a little green lol
. The Seymour Crew is more or less dead. Br4n moved to Florida, and now it's only me and milkbird. He has a flatscreen lcd that lags, so I refuse to play with him.

I've met some really awesome people here in CT that play Melee recently, and are way better than any of my old friends/crewmates. SloX, strawhats, zebra, Kupo15. You guys ****.
Dude I was "That Guy" too. Well, except to my friend Jon-Paul. Although I wasn't as useless as I was against him in the past. I haven't played him in a while, but he is very good.

But I mean, the second best out of my original melee group usually would say "Oh he's actually using techniques which work" "He plays this game all the time"

I mean, I simply wanted to get better at that game so I could have more fun WITH THOSE **** PEOPLE OMG. LOL. I was such a noob it was embarrassing.

We would usually play free for alls at lunch time during highschool, **** it was fun. I was soooo obsessed with getting better with Doctor Mario, and I still am. Although at that time I utterly sucked balls so I couldn't really follow suit with my dreams. <3

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
I used to play WC3 a lot when I was younger and met a player by the name of Stormsbud or NO_FACE here on the boards.

I lived in NY but visited FL a lot and it turned out he lived 30 minutes form where I stayed in FL. So, we ended up hanging out out. We played smash and WC3, Dota and whatnot, I always loved the game since launch and he just introduced me to competitive play.

Made a couple friends in Highschool who played including Animal, Honeybadger, Flux and ESTN and eventually got our parents to let us go to tournaments here on Long Island about an hour away.

Started getting decent, were some of the better LI players next to people like Ryan K and Eli. Quit for awhile, came back for brawl and then went back to melee, played melee a ton between us as friends till I had to leave for college.

Contacted Phanna on youtube and he told me to come out and play Him and UberIce one day so I did. I've made some great friends playing smash and now that I'm older I'm actually able to travel.

I've managed to attend The last gigabits, Apex2010(won a free ****ing TV HOLLA), and ROM2, CEO2010, and plan on attending much more.

can't wait to play more and travel more, smash is a fun hobby to do on the weekends in between school and whatnot :D

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
High school. Was playing in our lounge junior year (2003), we had moved from 64 earlier that year and we were all just having fun. Camping free for alls, all that stuff. Started as Falcon, tossing out falcon punches and kicks (some things never change).

Fast forward to 2005, a friend of mine was holding an on campus tournament for one of his classes, I went (at this point, Ness main). Ended up in an epic (lawl) set against the campus's top player. Afterwards, we started a mini smash club, I found out about youtube videos..advanced techniques...eventually smashboards.

Around...06 or so, we found out that there were some people across town that played. Chocobo, Chibo, Pakman, the beautiful green beast, Cactuar, among others. We decided to go over...and got ***** so hard, no spit, no lube, no phone call afterwards, no cuddling. Those guys killed half of our community, seriously. But it was for the best, we learned a lot, slowly started playing each other more...

Went home for the summer, started playing with Long Islanders (Shoutout to Stony Brook/Hofstra players at the time), learned a ton from guys like Alejandro_P, Ryan K, G$$, so on, so forth.

07, we were playing in the student center and this random kid walks into the game room with a controller. He picks Falcon and starts putting in his tag. "I...S..." OH **** "U...K" **** CanISmash. Later on, started going to Drexel more often, and this cocky pizza **** Falcon player from U Penn starts ****** cats and hosting tournaments. He killed me, Timon, Pumbaa and the earthworms. <3 Scar.

Random shoutouts to Will, LoLmaster, all of PA and LI smash, you guys are my heart.

[l. prog hubbard]

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
<3 back to ya prog. I'm actually glad you came out to play me that one time wayyyy early on. I was itching for smash for soooo long since playing smash in florida. SO yeah, you broke my v card for smashing in philly. <3

Sadly it was like an hour and a half, and I had to sneak you out. THAT WAS AWESOME

oh yeah I started melee in 07. : ] I played melee like... in 8th grade, but I was just mashing buttons. As Mario. ;P

samsonites101

Smash Cadet
I always sort of played Melee, but never really got into it or got competitive. I was competitive among friends, but none of us really used wavedashing or L-Canceling. I sort of could wavedash, but it hurt me more than it helped. Then I went to CGC@SFSU with some friends for Brawl because I was getting into brawl, it just came out, and the tournament was easy to find through allisbrawl. It was amazing and I loved the tournament. I won some matches in brawl thanks to practice in wifi, and got destroyed in Melee. My friends and I started playing Melee more often and I wanted to become good at it too. At R3, a regional norcal tournament, I played a bunch of Melee even though I was really there for Brawl. Since then I've been completely hooked to Melee and much prefer it to Brawl. I still definitely enjoy Brawl at times and will enter Brawl tournaments, but Melee is where it's at!

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I had a game night at this dorm I was living in. I went there to play Soul Calibur 2 and Halo. But SSBM was one of the games there. They were playing free for alls, but it looked really fun. There was a Link player kinda dominating most of the crowd there, and I had recognized him from around campus before. That's when I officially met the kid, James "ONYX". I saw him around a few times after and we started out playing Soul Calibur 2 since that's what he walked in on. I was beating him in SC 2 of course since he didn't own the game and I'm am the VGmasta. He told me Soul Calibur wasn't really his cup of tea, and then he brought up melee. I was like, "I'm pretty sure I could dominate you in that game too." My smash career pretty much took off from there. I used Mario thinking he was the "well-rounded character". Switched to Dr. Mario thinking he was better than Mario.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think us docs probably started out as Mario but converted to Doc since we needed Mario to unlock him haha.

rhan

Smash Hero
Okay so back in like 8th grade I use to be like the total bad ***. I use to think I was the **** and hung out with a trouble making crowd. Use to get into fights, start **** for no reason, screwed around in school, and would always just roam the streets. I use to never be inside. I would also go down to my friend's neighborhood (Which was kinda ghetto). And just try to get some guys together to go play some football/basketball or just go try to find some trouble to get into.

During that Summer I met a guy that I wouldn't know at the time would change my life. This guy named Shaden (Shaeman111 on the boards) was like a hardcore Zelda fan and I was kinda too and we just like became instant best friends.

Then 9th grade year got worse. I started smoking weed whenever I could sneak out the house. I ran away from home for about a day or two. Skipped school like at least twice a week. Fought a guy in the locker room cuz he was running though my bag. Also was apart of a gang. Just on some dumb ****. Use to just play around to much and tried to be a hardass. Thinkin I was all cool n ****. Then around the end of the year, I got caught with a 3.5 inch knife at school. And that moment changed my life. I for the next school year I went to an alternative education program for the first semester of school. That was a horrible experience. It was like jail school. We were pretty much on camera all the time. Only had like 5 kids to a class. Food was terribad. And no females.

I realized that I'm nothing like these people. Some guys had gun charges. Some guys were here for fighting too much. Most of them were in gangs. And we had to wear a shirt and tie all the time. There was no freedom. I needed to straighten up and break away from this kind of life style. So since Shaden lived down the street I would always go hang out with him more often. Then played Smash and he played Link and I played Young Link (There's more of an inspiration story to this in another thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11304844&postcount=7) But yeah I was inspired to play this game and become the best Young Link player ever.

Honestly if it wasn't for my best friend I would probably be doing wrong. Maybe even crippled... a addict... or even dead. Idk. But since that moment I've pretty much done everything with that guy. He's like my brother. No **** that. He IS my brother. I would do ANYTHING for this guy and I will never forget this guy ever. Cuz without him I wouldn't be where I am now.

0Room

Smash Lord
BRAWL got me into Melee.

Played Brawl for the first time a bit after launch. Started playing melee after watching a few videos (shined blind, a bunch of ken vids), started practicing tech skill for hours, never looked back.

I'm better than I thought I would be at this point in my playing! I love this game
More or less this was my story.

I started YEARS ago, playing Smash 64 on the 64s inside of a Mcdonald's [bad *** isn't it?] and got Melee when it came out. I was the best around, out of me, my sister, and my neighbor. [A common story as well, just talk to just about anyone, they'll tell you the same] But unfortunately, it got to the point where they just refused to play with me because I won all the time. [I played as Roy, that should give you a hint of my skill at that time.]

So I stopped playing for years, got a Wii just cause, and just HAPPENED to go to a Gamefrog in the mall. It's a place where they have Xboxs, PCs, and a wii for people to come in and play games for like $5 an hour. There, I met Mitsurugi and Duo, two Brawl players that frequent tournies here in NC. I tagged along, went to a Brawl tourney as Ike and predictably, got destroyed. From there, they invited me to join their group of smashers, which included all kinds of good people, from tournament directors and esteemed members of the community to Backroom Members and some ridiculously good people.
I was so frustrated, because I remember saying "Why can't I win????"
Looking back of course, it all makes sense.

But there was one guy who just refused to play Brawl, said he'd only play Melee, and I was like "nah man, that's stupid. This is the new one, and you can't even play online in Melee! How do you have people play? Cross the country?"
Well, I started watching videos of Falcon [I wanted to be the best Brawl Falcon at the time, this was right before the first Tier list] and just realized that Melee had a lot more options. I wanted to be like Isai [I think this was right as SS became good], so I started playing Melee.

6 Tournaments later, I still can't get anywhere near the top 8, but I've improved a ridiculous amount from where I started, playing Roy against my sister and neighbor and thinking I was king of the world.
And like everyone else here, I'm not going to stop playing until I AM king of the world.

BEES

Smash Lord
I started with Falco and ended up with Roy.

I knew nothing about tiers, I just picked Falco because he's too cool for school. I still play him; I'm just focusing on learning mindgames because only playing Falco gave me bad habits.

0Room

Smash Lord
yeah man. each character teaches you something different. Roy teaches you to never go off stage because you have no recovery and WILL die.

0Room

Smash Lord
to my surprise, my friend showed me a video he made in which he took a hammer and smashed the brawl cd in a bunch of tiny pieces
Who was your friend? Because I remember a guy doing that too and taking a video of it. It'd be weird if it was the same guy...

AetherWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
l_eden_l
3DS FC
4811-6991-2875
I was introduced to Brawl in 2008 by playing it at friends' places a bunch of times. Since I lacked a Wii at the time, but recently bought a used 'cube cheap, I got Melee. Once I got my Wii, though, I mostly moved back on to Brawl, and once I had enough of it... I went back to Melee and realised it was better than I previously thought.

Yes, I'm a relatively new Smasher.

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
I started by randomly playing with my friend.
Then i suddenly wanted to watch some combos online.
And i saw PC Chris Falco. And yeah it just started from there. Slowly by slowly.
But i didn't start playing for real until this year.

Jazzy

Smash Rookie
My friend told me about Smash Bros. in the playground when we were six years old. "It's got Pikachu and all these other characters and it's so good, you should try it!" I didn't believe him until I saw it one day at Blockbuster. Rented it, loved it, bought it, and that's pretty much what got me into it. I wasn't allowed to get Melee until I was thirteen years old (around four years after it came out) because of the T rating. >_>; I was in love with it, though. I never had any friends who had it and were good at it, unfortunately (the guy from the playground and I parted ways a long time ago). I got Brawl an hour before it was released in Canada due to the people at the game store not wanting to wait until midnight. :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I started in the smash series when I was 10(currently 21). Playing Smash 64. There was alot of competition between me my brothers and other kids so naturally when Melee came out we all jumped ship.

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
It all started in December 2006.
First, my brother started beating with my. My run-away throw items tactic with Fox started to fail against his Marth, so I decided to practice. I did this for about 4 months before encountering my first pro player.

A friend had mentioned some mystery guy who mained Ganon and beat everyone, so I decided to switch to him. I hit google and discovered smashboards. My goal was to train hard and go to the smash tournament coming up. When I got there, I encountered said mystery guy. He was the first pro I had every played and I was ***** accordingly. I was mad and upset, but I knew what I had to do.

I discovered a local player at the tournament who was also pretty good. We started playing every other day at college. I was just some noob, but my determination soon brought me victory. One, after the other. Now that I considered myself good, I found an opportunity to play Xzalla, the mystery guy from before. He still wrecked me, but I did better.

As the years passed, I of course became better and better and eventually started winning against more and more people, including Xzalla, who inspired me in the first place. I should be seeing you all at Pound to prove it!
I'm really glad I inspired you, man. You are about to bring me to tears right now. :(

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i had to look up how to unlock some stuff, saw i had to hit decently far in hrc to unlock yoshis island 64 i think, found some cool strategies, and realized how intense this game is and got hooked

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
Lieeeeesssss
I've never been to an MLG :(
I accidentally put you in there because I was thinking about the whole Magnolia crew. My bad, Sethlon. ;)

@XZalla

Man, I really enjoyed reading that. It helped fill in my memory gaps. I forgot that is was you who told me about smashboards. I wish my story was as interesting as yours, haha.
It's all good, man.
I'm glad you enjoyed the read.
Did you get a chance to go to the Melee tourney this weekend?

Top Bottom