• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BioDG

Smash Ace

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
.................no
Don't say another Goddamn word. Up until now, I've been polite. If you say ANYTHING else - ONE word - I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the Master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for you this Fear Engine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins, you will hear the sound of children screaming -as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of NOTHING will grow above your bed, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark world will begin. I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Rotten Tomatoes suspends comments on 'Dark Knight'

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The aggregating Web site RottenTomatoes.com suspended user comments on movie reviews of "The Dark Knight Rises" after commenters reacted harshly to negative reviews of the film and made profane and threatening remarks about the critics who wrote them.

Matt Atchity, the site's editor-in-chief, said Tuesday it was the first time RottenTomatoes.com has suspended user comments, adding postings about "Dark Knight" reviews would likely be restored by the end of the week. The final film in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy opens Friday.

"The job of policing the comments became more than my staff could handle for that film, so we stopped the comments altogether," said Atchity. "It just got to be too much hate based on reactions to reviews of movies that people hadn't even seen."

Atchity said the site is considering a move to a Facebook commenting system, which might cut down on the glut of anonymous posts. Other film review aggregating sites, such as MetaCritic.com and MovieReviewIntelligence.com, either don't allow user comments or don't permit comments to be posted before a film opens.

"There are a lot of options on the table," said Atchity, who is worried about a similar backlash when director Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is released later this year. "We may do away with comments completely or get to a place where comments are only activated after a movie opens."

While "The Dark Knight Rises" is currently experiencing a glowing 84 percent "fresh" rating on RottenTomatoes.com, the film has been deemed "rotten" by a few critics, including Marshall Fine of Hollywood & Fine, Christy Lemire of The Associated Press and Nick Pinkerton of the Village Voice. Fine lambasted "Dark Knight Rises" for being "nonsensical," and Lemire called it a "letdown."

"As a movie writer and critic, Christy gives her opinion and we expect people will agree with some of her reviews and disagree with others," said Lou Ferrara, the AP managing editor who oversees entertainment. "It's unfortunate when the conversation turns ugly."

RottenTomatoes.com is owned by social movie site Flixster.com, a Warner Bros. company.

Xyro77

The Dark Knight Rises -- This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Matt Atchity here, Editor in Chief of Rotten Tomatoes. I want to set the record straight on some of the things that are happening with the reviews for The Dark Knight Rises right now.

It's probably safe to say that The Dark Knight Rises is the most anticipated film of the year. More than The Hobbit. More than The Avengers. And my staff and I knew full well that when the first negative review came in, the reviewer would get pasted in the comments. That dubious honor goes to Marshall Fine. He's a critic we've included on our site -- he's got a respectable background in criticism, and we think he should be included on our site.

Since the referral traffic seems to have crashed his server, we've temporarily removed the review link at Fine's request, so his site can go back up. But the score will not be affected. His Rotten review still applies to the score, even if the link isn't active at the moment.

Update: A second negative review came in, and we'll be policing those comments, too.
Second Update: We have disabled comments on The Dark Knight Rises reviews for a few days.

As expected, we saw a mountain of comments come in about his review, and we're policing them to make sure they're in line with our TOS. Broadly speaking, threats and hate speech will get your commenting privileges revoked.

But Marshall has the right to not like the movie, and people have the right to express their disagreement with him (although if you haven't seen the movie, your arguments may be on shaky ground). And we have the right to pull your comment down and ban you if we think you're acting inappropriately.

Which leads me to Eric D. Snider. He thought it would be funny to post a negative review link on Rotten Tomatoes that links to his own site. He misrepresented his review link. (In case you didn't know, some critics post their own reviews, and my staff posts some -- it's about 50/50). By attributing the link to Film.com, he misrepresented that organization. This is not the first time he's done this, nor is it the first time his journalistic ethics have been brought into question. In our opinion, by knowingly posting a link that isn't a review (and he hadn't seen the movie), Snider has abused our trust, and therefore, his reviews will no longer apply to the Tomatometer.

So where does that leave us? It doesn't change the fact that there are trolls, and that minority opinions will be vehemently refuted. But I would like to leave everyone with a few final thoughts:

- If a critic often goes against the majority, but has well-reasoned arguments, it's unlikely we're going to ban them, at least not just for having a different opinion. We're not looking for groupthink here.

- If a critic abuses our trust by linking to something that's not a review, we will take action up to and including removing them from the Tomatometer. If a critic doesn't take their reputation seriously, then neither will we.

- We'll ban you for threats and hate speech -- we're trying to have fun here, so don't be a ****. And don't try and argue about your right to free speech -- this is a business, and we have the right to refuse service to anyone we feel like.

- We're probably going to move to a Facebook-based commenting system that doesn't allow for anonymity. You'll have to stand by your comments, just like a critic does. So you'll still be able to argue about a movie you haven't seen, but people will know it was you. (I know that won't make a difference for some people, but at least there may be some measure of responsibility).

I know that a lot of people will think we're overreacting, and I know my own breeding, sexuality, and intelligence will be called in to question just for daring to ask for some level of respectable debate. That's fine, I'm used to that (I have a show on YouTube, so come at me, bro).

But if I could ask everyone for one thing, it's this: don't be a ****. Even if you think someone else is being a ****. Just take a deep breath, step away from the computer, and maybe go for a walk. Have a smoke if you need one. There are plenty of other things to get angry about, like war, famine, poverty and crime. But not movie reviews.

Sincerely,
Matt Atchity
Editor-in-Chief, Rotten Tomatoes

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's sad to see movie nerds rage over a few reviews.

:phone:

Xyro77

This is the first time its ever been this bad. Im really hoping this movie blows me down cause if it doesnt im gonna be PISSED that all this hype was for nothing.

Me and Trela watched BB last night, he didnt know that the blue flower Bruce Wayne had to get for Ra's Al Ghul and carry up the mountain was the same flower that is used in ScareCrow's neurotoxin gas. Nor did he know that ScareCrow was teaming up with Ra's Al Ghul. TrelBels life has changed dramatically. Tonight we watch TDK. Tomorrow........THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Trela

Smash Lord
Perhaps you should have some to clear your head?

Btw, Kilik, you remember those Dibs that you bought from the gas station at UoH? I found them again while snooping around a mall with Allan yesterday.

We HAVE to get some more the next time we see each other!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Btw, Kilik, you remember those Dibs that you bought from the gas station at UoH? I found them again while snooping around a mall with Allan yesterday.

We HAVE to get some more the next time we see each other!

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom