• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Bayo 1 is taking longer than I thought.

Some enemies are immune to witch time. Not good :(

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dude, I have some great advice for you.

Git gud.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Late, but Flip that's awesome that you get to dj the rockets game. You allowed to meet the players/have any other benefits besides rockin TC?
I did get to DJ events like Open Practice. Got Patrick Beverly to try scratching on the turntables. Other than that, I just provide the tunes for the games and their outside community events as well.

If there isnt a lot of overlap between the PM and 3DS events then i would start 3DS earlier. and no problem, im more than willing to help clear things up for anyone.
Only thing driving me away is the late start of Smash 3DS. I usually have to start getting ready for my club gigs around 7-8, so I probably can't ever make these.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Vids???????
No real vids. Instead of slipping if you run into it you get stunned. So I have some setups where I do a smash into a banana, which causes them to slip (stun), and I follow up with whatever. It still has the limitations of bananas (2 throws = disappear), but I'm seeing a little more applications than normal banana. The Stun doesn't last long either. I don't know the characteristics of it either.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I told you people customs were bad. And as always, I am being proven right.
?!?!??! where are you even coming from w/ this lol miis are banned

the only issue i've heard about custom moves being "bad" is buffing rosalina minorly in certain matchups which people are crying over being more broken/adding fuel to her fire. custom moves are a great and refreshing thing considering like 10% of moves were switched from brawl to smash 4 - game would feel stale right out the box without them (imo)

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
bad as in they aren't good or bad as in they aren't competitive?

im warming up to custom moves, some are really strong (dk up-b im looking at you )

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
With a few being complete upgrades with negligible cons, most are sidegrades for certain matchups, and some are just terrible. I know I've said something like this before...

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There needs to be a standard for Mii usage, since they are affected by weight (and size?).

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I did get to DJ events like Open Practice. Got Patrick Beverly to try scratching on the turntables. Other than that, I just provide the tunes for the games and their outside community events as well.

Only thing driving me away is the late start of Smash 3DS. I usually have to start getting ready for my club gigs around 7-8, so I probably can't ever make these.
Lol, that's sick. I figured you'd get free/discounted tickets, but the privilege to DJ those events are more than enough. Have fun tonight, gonna be a big game with an even bigger crowd against the Spurs.

Also it's the same reason for me as well to not attend FG, I'll be busy around 6-7ish. I do feel like Smash 4 should start earlier, maybe 11-1ish and have the other events hosted afterwards as it'll (most likely) be the event with more entrants.

@ Illmatic: Where else are Mii's banned? BlazingKatakiri been taking 1st in Kentucky with Gunner along with side chars.

After TGC, I heard via stream/videos Bwett put up that I was playing against others who had customs on. I think it should be a rule to tell your opponent if you're using them just to be aware. I didn't know Nidak had an extended up-b for ROB or Megafox had lasers that could stun (supposedly said through Zori's commentating, not accusing), but I'm not complaining about it or using it as an excuse. Just want to know what I should expect lol. Iggy might have been the only one to tell me with Rosalina's different starbits. Playing against them I didn't feel like it made a noticeable difference, though I haven't had much experience and don't want to bother taking the time to find out/unlock all the customs. That said, I think that not ALL customs should be banned. Compose a list of allowed, ban the one's that you feel make a certain character OP, gg.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Lol, that's sick. I figured you'd get free/discounted tickets, but the privilege to DJ those events are more than enough. Have fun tonight, gonna be a big game with an even bigger crowd against the Spurs.

Also it's the same reason for me as well to not attend FG, I'll be busy around 6-7ish. I do feel like Smash 4 should start earlier, maybe 11-1ish and have the other events hosted afterwards as it'll (most likely) be the event with more entrants.

@ Illmatic: Where else are Mii's banned? BlazingKatakiri been taking 1st in Kentucky with Gunner along with side chars.

After TGC, I heard via stream/videos Bwett put up that I was playing against others who had customs on. I think it should be a rule to tell your opponent if you're using them just to be aware. I didn't know Nidak had an extended up-b for ROB or Megafox had lasers that could stun (supposedly said through Zori's commentating, not accusing), but I'm not complaining about it or using it as an excuse. Just want to know what I should expect lol. Iggy might have been the only one to tell me with Rosalina's different starbits. Playing against them I didn't feel like it made a noticeable difference, though I haven't had much experience and don't want to bother taking the time to find out/unlock all the customs. That said, I think that not ALL customs should be banned. Compose a list of allowed, ban the one's that you feel make a certain character OP, gg.
If you guys think it should start earlier i can start it first, i dont think there is much overlap between melee and smash 4 so i could start those side by side.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Avoid and Flip, i am most likely going to move Smash 4 as the first event. I want you guys to show up and i dont want a late start to be the reason you guys cant make it. Smash 4 will start at 12:45 with Doubles and Singles at 1:15

Xyro77

It is a rule to show custom moves to the foe. If you don't catch it before the match, it's on you. If you ask them before the match and they refuse, they will be DQed.

With the WiiU version this won't be an issue because both players will see the moves on the TV. Another reason why WiiU > 3ds

Last edited:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I think customs are cool but i dont want to have a list of what moves are banned and what moves arent. it just creates another layer of discussion that doesnt need to be had. I've stated this before, from what i've seen with customs i think they will always be delegated to a side event.

Teshie U

Smash Lord

I dont know if the thread listed the rules, but I went over this with Xyro before TGC. Custom moves are part of your character selection. They must have full disclosure. No secrets. You don't need to explain your moves to your opponent, but you do have to tell them the name and/or number of the custom moves. Everyone I asked/told disclosed what they were using.

This is a competition though, and I'm sure if you didn't bother asking, people won't tell you up front. You can even request your opponent leave the lobby and SHOW you his custom build if you want to check he isnt using equipment.

Miis are very uncommon to play against because they don't have a fanbase and aren't allowed in random online matches. Naturally people won't understand what is happening to them against these 3 characters at first. Standard Mii weights could be possible, though even harder to enforce as I don't think you can check the weights in the game. Its linked directly to the mii maker app stats.

Brawl had 37 character and you wanted 1 of them banned Xyro. This game has 400+ special moves and you think maybe 5 of them are absurd?

Custom moves will likely be banned when the Wii U version is out solely because of laziness sadly.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
For Miis, could just enforce that only the default guest Miis are the only Mii templates allowed and must be remade each time before a match. Otherwise, besides transferring from 3DS, people will need to make a Mii of specific weight, height, etc. Something like that would be dumb and waste time. But it's hard to say until the Wii U versions comes out to see how its handled.

As far as custom moves, none of this selective bannning, like with MK in Brawl. Either make them all legal or ban them completely. Don't create a hassle just to keep something legal.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Avoid and Flip, i am most likely going to move Smash 4 as the first event. I want you guys to show up and i dont want a late start to be the reason you guys cant make it. Smash 4 will start at 12:45 with Doubles and Singles at 1:15
Any estimate how long singles would take? Would it be a priority to complete singles and doubles first then host the other tournaments?

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Any estimate how long singles would take? Would it be a priority to complete singles and doubles first then host the other tournaments?
Smash 4 is the priority here. Last time singles took about 3 hours i think. let me get back to you on that. But yes i plan on finishing smash 4 before starting the other events

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Sounds good. I'll try my best to stay as long as possible. Is there still construction on 45 north coming form beltway 8. I can't recall if the venue before the Grand Parkway Construction or not.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Houston Transtar says no, but I might be reading the map on their site incorrectly.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Also, if any one gets lost trying to find this place or needs help with directions message me on here or facebook. It can be a tough place to find if you havent been before.

Xyro77

Rt, is right. Ban all or ban none. No more MK bull****.

And a default mii's weight is 100.

I lost to a mii brawler at TGC. Cool
Character imo.

And the "show the foe your custom moves" rule IS in the rules but they can't be enforced if people don't read the rules.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Ban all or ban none is a terrible idea. While I don't see any truly broken custom moves right now, I don't think if we find one that breaks the game, we should remove all 300+ based on that.

Even if we wound up with 50+ unfair ones, banning a custom move is waaaaaaaaay simpler than the amount of bull**** we had in Brawl rulesets (LGLs, airtime limits, EDC). Sure as a TO, you might not like having alot of rules, but lots of competition have rule BOOKS. Not a concise page, but a BOOK telling you what you can and cannot do at any given time. Accidentally breaking a rule still holds the same result so just man up and take no pity and as a TO you will be fine.

You are already a step behind because you make rules based on your emotions and not logic.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You do know that having a rulebook for a VIDEO GAME is the definition of overcomplicated.

But hell, please type out a rulebook for me about Smash, and I'll consider your point valid.

And my point still stands, either make all customs legal or ban them all. Being selective about which ones are legal and which ones are not causes a hassle and is unfair and arbitrary. Soon people will try to apply this logic to stages as well and that is something that does not need to happen.

It's almost like you want another MK-esque issue to happen again...

Last edited:

Xyro77

its alright, RT. He's not thinking like a TO and doesn't care about the game. If customs run this game into the ground like MK did to brawl, he will just quit or move on to another game without a care in the world. It's the typical "hit it and quit it" mentality most of the EC did to brawl.

That's why people like me exist. I put myself and my wants to the side and keep this game as fair as possible to all walks of life while keeping us good at a game that will last.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I didn't realize there are over 400+ custom moves. I literally thought it might've 2-5 for each character. Shows how interested I am with it lmao. In that case, I agree with either all for or none at all. Won't make a big difference to me. Side events for customs are a more rational idea imo.

I'm sure the thread did list the rules which I didn't fully read, just skimmed through. Not complaining about it though, that was my fault. I'll make sure to ask beforehand instead of waiting to find out during/after the match if customs are used.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, it's one of those things that you won't remember to ask at first.

But it won't matter in the Wii U version, because it will be obvious when they select a custom move, and it should be REQUIRED that a person announce they have a custom move. If a person wants to use the move, the burden should be on that person to let the other person know IMO.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Speaking of rules, I've come up with a few ways to help speed up TRTTGC2 in December.

1. I am temporarily dropping Pokemon. For right now, it's just for TRTTGC2. The GF of pkmn took 1 hour and only 9 entrants were there all but 1 entered other games too.

2. I'm restricting how many event people can enter. At this next TRTTGC players can only enter 2 events max. You will have to decide between Kart 8, smash 1vs1 and smash 2vs2. Again, like with rule 1, this is a test.

As for the cold. If it does get cold (Tx has seen 80 degree weather in December before lol), there are a few things that will help us.

1. AirBrushKing is bringing a small heater that will be blowing all day.

2. The more set-ups in the room, the more heat will be generated. So the more set-ups we have the more heat/friendlies/MM can happen and the faster we can get out. Warmth+speedy event=tasty.

3. The doors that can be closed WILL be closed. Since it's only kart/smash and both use WiiUs, all games will be inside the main building.

4. Dress warm. It's december. No johns.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Will you still be using that online bracket for the tourney? I know it is useful for keeping real time results, but you can't have people help assigning matches/record results/queue matches while you are in a match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom