• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Metroid

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yeah man I got a ton of stone award too

Edit: once I added new guns to my feet and a samurai sword to my hands I am now a monster.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
Babies first Platinum game. Play some God Hand on hard mode. It's probably the only game I've played that is physically exhausting.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Your rank is determined by how good your combos are, how fast you win a battle, items used and damage taken. If you are taking enough damage to warrant healing, you are probably not going to get either of the two best ranks, so use those items if you can spare them.

Good combos are important too for top ranks, if you cheese your way through a scenario with 0 damage taken, you won't get pure platinum if you weren't a badass.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The beauty of many modern AAA games is cutscenes alone often amount of a full length movie with a pretty good story. Bayonetta has about 2 hours of cutscenes and the games story was animated and remade into an actual movie in japan.

Even Mortal Kombat 9 had over an hour of cutscenes and was MUCH better than the actual MK movies. Many of the best games have become movie that you play along with. Although some games go way too far favoring story over gameplay. Like Beyond :Two Souls.

About Road to TGC though, I'd like to point out in the rules, it says in the even of a same percent timeout or a simultaneous double KO, there will be a 3 stock, 7 minute match. Isnt it supposed to be 1 stock 3 minutes? Why replay the WHOLE match? Even if it is a rare situation, it seems a bit silly.

You should probably just ban GnW from doubles completely, like they do in Japan. Any projectile that does over 21% damage will completely fill the bucket and kill at 0%. That or simply requiring GnW player to use the really bad Down B. Other options are almost as abusive as Pikachu while still being much better in doubles anyway. Megaman, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Gunner, Lucario, Ness, Robin all fill the bucket very easily this way. Stacking that kind of nonsense on top of tiny screens with four players and the absurd amount of lag that pops up in doubles and its just going to be alot of salt for no reason.

Finally, PLEASE remove Japes and Ferox. You are already pushing it by running 3 stock 7 minutes, but there stages are just campfests because it hurts an already fragile approach game. Brinstar is more intrusive than Brawl this time around (lava rises to its peak almost every time), but that actually FORCES a confrontation by shrinking the stage. Ferox and Japes just make it easier to just avoid fighting someone.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
bayonetta 2 <3333333333333333333333333333

Last edited:

Xyro77

Gea, I played Mad World and Wonderful 101 before I played Bayonetta.

The art design/colors of Mad World was great but the game was terrible.

Wonderful 101 was just plain not fun in anyway at all.

Though I'm getting pooped on, Bayo is actually pretty good. I'm just having a had time getting attached to the character. She makes no mistakes, is always right and has tons of those witty one liners. I was hoping that AT LEAST the things she says could be realistic (it helps me get into the game if the dialogue is relatable) but nah I guess it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Tesh, 1 stock 3mins was super dumb in brawl. One of the things the Unity ruleset I hated. I ain't leaving a match up to 1 stock.

As for the GW thing, the only reason why it was pika+gw banned is because the projectile that fills the bucket activates in 1 frame.

All other characters that fill buckets put themselves at much greater risk than a one from move. Just like in melee or brawl.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just found out Youtube now supports 1080p60fps vids, but only for Chrome so far. Guess I need new cap card now...

Tesh

Smash Hero
Tesh, 1 stock 3mins was super dumb in brawl. One of the things the Unity ruleset I hated. I ain't leaving a match up to 1 stock.

As for the GW thing, the only reason why it was pika+gw banned is because the projectile that fills the bucket activates in 1 frame.

All other characters that fill buckets put themselves at much greater risk than a one from move. Just like in melee or brawl.
actually, in melee and brawl the bucket just behaved differently so you had to leave yourself open for a long time to fully fill it

Xyro77

Just found out Youtube now supports 1080p60fps vids, but only for Chrome so far. Guess I need new cap card now...
Dude the data those vids take up will be huge as well as the upload time. I love crisp vids as much as the next guy but DAYUM is it worth all that?

Tesh, the only difference is what? A 21% or higher projection fully fills the bucket? I don't know of any projectile that can do that in one frame other than thunder.

Luckily, this 3ds event is the ONLY 3ds event I'll ever do and thus it's a test. If GW+21% projectile characters dominate teams results, I'll admit I suck **** and then will ban GW.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I will do it for the greater good...

As for space, I'm not too worried. My laptop has about 1TB free space, and I have a spare 2TB hard drive not being used and will probably get another one if I find a good Black Friday sale. Needless to say, if anyone needs 1080p vids recorded when Wii U version drops, you only need to ask...

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dude, the Wii U version is out?!

If you give to me now, I'll stop mentioning Hobo 12.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I see diplomacy has failed.

Xyro77

Final reminder before the tournament!

1. Please be at the venue by 10-10:30am with your EventBrite Ticket or confirmation email. This will give you time to practice, sign up and get some food. The food is first come first serve and only if you enter at least one event. We start at 11:35 and i will NOT accept any late entrants.
2. Though it is not required, please bring a full set-up, controller and a 3ds charger to this event. Mario Kart 8, Pokemon X+Y, Smash 4 and a console+Tv will be greatly appreciated. Having plenty of set-ups will allow everybody more matches and help end the event faster.

3. If you get knocked out of the tournament, you are still allowed to hang around the venue and play with us the rest of the day. But if full set-ups are low and we are running behind on time, i will stop all friendlies in order to finish the tournament.

4. If possible, please bring $5 bills and $1 bills so that i don't have to run and get change for everybody every 10mins.

5. To help answer as many questions as fast as possible, please post all further questions/discussions in the official Road to TGC results thread. Posting there will help condense all the discussion and allow me to view/answer with ease. The results thread will have results posted within 24 hours of the tournament.

Gea

Smash Master
Well, I was really looking forward to showing up today but I got rather sick two days ago. Decided I did not want to be the dude who comes and gets everyone else sick. Oh well, maybe next time.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Alright so I felt like we had some hype matches. And Houston came out on top which is all that matters but we NEED to get better at this game. Dallas took too many top 8 spots.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So is the reason Illmatic doesn't like Smash 4 less to do with the game itself and more to do with the real Master McAdoo bracing this great Earth; Kadin keeping him in the salt pits?

<3

That's quite a few new-ish names in the top, and crazy to see the ruby sheikti was taken out by Zardlord/Robin.
Xyro, you short hop double aerialing with Lucina yet?

Kadin.

Smash Cadet
SUPER fun tournament. Glad I got to commentate on the best match of the night, Trela vs Denti winners finals. DESTRUCTION

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
SUPER fun tournament. Glad I got to commentate on the best match of the night, Trela vs Denti winners finals. DESTRUCTION
Lying. You know what the best match of the night really was.. lmao. Super fun tournament though, glad I came out.

EDIT: I literally just bought the same wii u bundle for $300 two days ago. gg well played gamestop.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Nintendo sells refurbished Wii U's for 205 dollars (black one with nintendo land) AND you get a year warranty, same as new.

Thats probably the cheapest you will get a black one AND you can support the company at the same time.

Xyro77

Grim, yes. Falcon has speed, great jab combo, killing power (you even killed with d-tilt) and FINALLY a way to come back to the stage (thanks ledge mechanics). If megafox isn't the sign you should go Falcon, I don't know what is. That match was fast/ very entertaining and even made people drop what they are doing and watch you.

Rashad, when you get your wiiu, post your NINTENDO ID.

Shaya, no I can't double fair :(
I just want the wiiu version already

Last edited:
Top Bottom