• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
After playing smash 4 a ton yesterday with good people offline, I feel like really dislike the game.

I hope wiiu makes it better.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It partly is the 3DS and its controls. Pretty much everyone will agree the controls feel restricted to some degree.

Honestly, the 3DS version is more of a study tool to see what characters can do. Once you get an actual control STICK as opposed to a little nub and Cstick, then all characters' true potential will be unleashed.

But for now, just play more and get a feel of the physics and such.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
While the game has it's flaws, I really do feel frustration stemming from the 3DS itself. For me, the nunchuck was the smoothest controls. Now this is even worse than a GC controller? Pls.

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
agreed. It's hard to buffer some moves with the 3DS. hurts my soul when I buffer smash out of shield, but instead I get a tilt, or even a roll. T-T

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
While the game has it's flaws, I really do feel frustration stemming from the 3DS itself. For me, the nunchuck was the smoothest controls. Now this is even worse than a GC controller? Pls.
Nah putting a wii mote in the mario kart wheel was the best controller for smash. I won a gamestop tourney using it. so op

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
falcon is such **** in this game. plays like 64. Up air up air up air Up B...FOH.

hope Wii U version is exactly like 3ds game mechanics wise

Also I dont know if its wifi (havent played real people offline yet) but TOO MUCH ROLL SPAM IN THIS GAME!
Rolling is the new spotdodge. Its cool though, its fun reading a roll and punishing with falcon punch .

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Smash 4 seriously sucks lmao, I haven't played it in like a week and that was only cause I was over at Austin's.
Worst smash for sure. Way too casual and it'll likely become even more of a campfest than Brawl in certain scenarios. How standing still and shielding or rolling is now easily the most viable option, the dumb downed ledge mechanics, poor design of blast-zones, lack of kill moves, "vectoring", the STAGE LIST, lack of shield-push, rage effect (encourages even more defensive play lol), clone characters, INSANELY bad Wi-Fi (it's 2014, c'mon) etc. Gonna be completely real and say Brawl's way more fun any day even versus like Olimar / MK / ICs. Brawl might have become lame through it's life-span but it actually contains a ton of depth and tech. Smash 4 just feels way too linear and vapid w/ it's mechanics. Beautifully designed characters and balance but the game's just lifeless to me. I feel like people are trying way too hard to make a bad thing good / are delusional .. that or I'm being way too critical lol but I doubt it cause I've given it more than enough of a shot studying data and playing so many matches off the week of launch date.

Last edited:

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Really man???? I think it is better than brawl at least.

Project M is still my main squeeze though. My favorite smash game now

z00ted

I'm still gonna give it a shot when the Wii U one comes out but I'm just not feeling it at all yet.

So many characters feel stripped or handicapped due to the game's mechanics. You can space and buffer / throw out as many moves as you want (ugh, lack of feasible dash-dancing is so stupid) .. even READ your opponent time and time again yet it doesn't even feel rewarding because shielding or rolling is such a viable option on this iteration. People are going to abuse this game's mechanics like no other lol. Every fast character feels beautiful (Sheik, Greninja, Lil Mac, Yoshi, Captain Falcon) until you run into someone who's decided they don't want to attack first. That - or said character just feels like their competitive depth doesn't have a lot of potential or time ahead of it. Sheik's one of the most cookie cutter characters I've ever seen in a Smash game yet she's easily one of the best this time around. Metaknight or Snake? Not so much. I can already tell who's gonna be top tier this time around as well lol. I don't know, it's just not feeling too fun right now :/. The competitive aspect of this game just feels so dumbed down. You're rewarded even less for approaching yet your escape options are stronger than ever. Yikes. Pace of the game is perfect but there's so many things crippling it from actually reaching the potential it could have hit.

This is the type of game that will be fun to play along w/ friends for maybe a month or two then it's metagame will die so quickly. We already know a good 80% of the story on how to play it due to Brawl, just a matter of time.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
The amount of whining in your posts is obscene lol. This game is definitely better than Brawl. If you'd rather play vs a Brawl Olimar/MK/ICs then you're delusional. Hint if they roll or shield...GRAB.

Xyro77

Not that I disagree, but why do you feel that way?
Its really hard to describe because its all so early and i may be wrong/jumping gun or maybe its just cause its the 3ds or maybe its because im using wrong characters. Maybe its because i came off of brawl and this game is pretty much an improved BRAWL. I dont know :(

Anyways, right off the bat i will say this game is 100000000000000x better than brawl. No tripping, faster game, more characters, METAKNIGHT/OLIMAR NERFED, no ICs.......ect

But yeah so Ive put in many hours with Marth/Lucina/Rob/Samus (no one else) over the past few days. I feel like all the characters i mentioned have overall lost more than they have gained. Marth/Lucina cant double Fair, dancing blade is slower, lost killing power on nearly every move. Samus cant missile cancel, dair has a sour spot, zair is weaker/slower. Rob lost range on f-tilt/d-tilt and his horizontal recovery is worse than in brawl. Though samus and rob got a few buff, overall they still are poop. Maybe i am just picking the wrong characters?

The new ledge mechanic is AMAZING.........for preventing the next MK on the ledge. It also allows all characters to be able to ledge guard much better because you will always be able to get back to the ledge even if you fail a ledge guard attempt. But that in itself is the issue, you will ALWAYS be able to get back to the ledge whether you are the edge guarder or the edge guardee(sp?). Fox and falco are almost guaranteed to get back to the stage because the can phantasm and then up+B. These are not bad things (fox/falco example) but these mechanics are most def a more casual based thing. Its giving "every character" a chance to come back to the ledge. Maybe im just being a elitist hard core competitive jerk bag?

Spam/Camp/Defensive play. These things are in every fighting game and yes it is a very valid, logical way to play. But DAYUM even though projectiles in this game are not to the calibur of Brawl pikmin or Brawl bananas or Brawl falco laser or Brawl nades.....ect its still very bad. If this was my first smash game, id be all cool with this but its not. I came from 6 years of SPAM/CAMP/DEFENSIVE play and i am not looking forward to more. Maybe im just being a baby?

No chain grabbing is AMAZING..........for when we play vs DDD and ICs. Now though its NO ONE can chain grab. You cant even grab, pummel pummel pummel, grab release to a teammates grab pummel pummel pummel anymore. That "you cant grab for one second after the initial grab" rule has ruined basically all chain grab-ish attempts in this game and literally ruined characters like falco. Another casual element imo. Brawl was the king of casual smash, why does this type of stuff have to continue in a new game?

Lucario aura/WiiFitGirl deep breathing/ Shulk Arts/rage effect. Not only do even more characters have a "lucario aura" type of thing, we ALL get "rage effect." Another attempt and "leveling the playing field" for the casual level. Rewarding the LOSER with "rage" for LOSING.....its stupid.

No one can kill at decent percents (obviously the ones i mentioned above^ can) and then combine that with bigger blast zones for most stages (brinstar actually has a smaller killzone than brawl btw) and it feels like games take forever even though they really dont.

In closing, i love the game (better than brawl for sure) but i'm just not "feeling it." I don't know if its because i was so burned by 6 years of brawl and that this game heavily reminds me of a brawl 2.0. I don't know if its because i will have to relearn every MU/Character i use AND then do it again for custom moves. I dont know if its just because we have only the terrible 3ds version right now. I dont know if its just my lack of interest in smash over the past 2 years due to my real life situations (tbh, i wasn't hype at all when the release date hit). lololol i just dont know. My hype/care cup is so low for this game its really weird. Maybe im just being a big fat huge obese mega baby.

edit: i like smash 4, i just dont like smash 4. WiiU version, please save me.

Last edited:

z00ted

The amount of whining in your posts is obscene lol. This game is definitely better than Brawl. If you'd rather play vs a Brawl Olimar/MK/ICs then you're delusional. Hint if they roll or shield...GRAB.
It's not too obscene lol, pretty realistic actually. Why would I whine about something I care so much about and spent endless amount of hours getting hyped over? I'll play Melee if I continue smash at all.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I wish I lived in Houston. I could stay drunk for weeks with this much whining. :applejack:

Xyro77

Hey, I admit it's much better than brawl. I'll never go back to MELEE/BRAWL. Smash 4 is the future.

z00ted

How is expressing my concern over a game I love considered whining? That's the EXACT problem w/ gamers who hold that sentiment these days and why we get Skyward Sword's ****ty Desert overworld design, F-Zero blown off the face of the planet, Kirby and Yoshi turning into ****ing wooly ****s and Smash Bros becoming a roll/shield fest.

The fact that people (myself included) are genuinely willing to play TWO STOCKS over three this early in Smash 4's metagame speaks more than enough in volumes about it's future. It's sad to say it and I REALLY didn't want it to ever happen, but two stocks would actually be more feasible in a tournament setting (that, or a much larger clock run-time). The game just straight up sucks ass competitively. Yeah, Razer.. you're pretty much spot on. Grabbing is likely the strongest asset in Smash 4 but stop to think about it for a second and you'll quickly realize that isn't anywhere near being a good thing. Good intentions to the public from Nintendo but Sakurai just refuses to make Smash Bros a game for the aggressor. Can't wait to see it embarrass itself in true Brawl-form at EVO yet again.

I'm actually more excited for Bayonetta 2 than Smash at the moment, that's saying something.
Game looks beyond inventive/forward-thinking and it doesn't even fall anywhere near my genre of choice.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Please. That's just Dallas being a bunch of asshats. :applejack:

Don't stop though. I've got all night. I need something funny to read.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Off topic, but is Illmatic bashing on Skyward Swords best dungeon the Sandship, or did he mean the deserted hub world Skyloft and such?

Honestly and truly, I 100% SS about 2 years ago almost and 100% WW on gamecube 3 weeks ago maybe and already possibly 70% done with WW HD. I prefer the empty but incredibly smaller with no **** to do Skyward Sword hubworld with one of the comfiest places to be on (skyloft) compared to the huge as **** Great ****ing Sea with tiny islands that don't even matter outside of treasure charts (those ****ty reefs) or just those islands you go too once for a heart piece then never go too again.

Even with HD improving **** with Cruise actually being fast instead of moving slowly than a sloth, a twig no longer pushing you off the boat, and the swift sail. (which you have to be lucky with RNG to win at the auction, took 4th time. no big deal but still) I still prefer only taking 3 minutes to go from one end of skyloft to the opposite side while Gamecube would take prolly 15 minutes and Swiftsail 8 or so.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Give the wii u version a couple of months. Need some tournaments to let the metagame develop. Though right now, some things are certain.

The edge guarding and rolling in this game is ********. Actually, they basically removed edge guarding completely.

You'll think you gimp someone, and then they just magically grab the edge.

Its like they removed gay **** from brawl (tripping, CGs, locks) but then added even more, gimmicky gay ****. They add more combo potential, but make it harder to kill.

Certain characters are just way too gimmicky. DHD seems primarily a camp character like Snake.

This is the first smash game where I haven't had much fun playing most of the new characters. I was hyped at first at the amazing roster, but now I'm like meh.

Right now if I had to main someone it would be C falcon, and 2nd would be zero suit samus. Both characters are extremely fun and keep me interested in playing this game.

Point being, Im only having fun with old characters. none of the new characters are appealing to me. Sadly, Marth and Falco, 2 characters I loved playing both in brawl and melee, are absolutely dead in this game. Playing Marth now is like watching Jordan on the Wizards. Ganon is literally unchanged, which is a shame.

They buffed some of the veterans, and they nerfed some of the vets, which is fair I guess. Its cool to see sheik and yoshi on top.

Not all hope is lost, lets see how competitive play is next couple of months. This game might be better than brawl, but it isn't going to touch 64, melee or PM by virtue of it being Brawl 2.0. Still, I love seeing the metagame of Brawl develop for some characters and I will in this game too. Seeing players like Espy show us how to really play Sonic, Razer being innovative with Snake, and Trela with Lucario. I can't wait to see how players are gonna push the characters in this game to the limit.

And of course we are going to ****ing whine and criticize this game. Its a series we're all loyal to, we have the right to complain. We've waited a long time, and we put up with a lot of bull**** in Brawl that we hoped Sakurai would learn from.

Also, wtf is vectoring.

Last edited:

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Yess we have the right to complain, similiraily to how you complained about every loss you had after every Brawl tournament

Its funny cause I dont have any complaints for Project M. its like that game is really good, or something

Last edited:

Xyro77

The complaints about rolling/dodging is funny because that's what I dealt with when I came from Melee to brawl. Now brawl gens are experiencing it with smash 4 lmaoooo.

What you are seeing now is the usual early game development. No one knows how to moves around the stage or evade correctly because better ways to move/evade have not been discovered or hit main stream yet. It will change, it always does.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
**** would be so much different if it was BETA FIELD instead of OMEGA DESTINATION.

Like holy moly. It should not be a thing that rolling 7 times backwards is faster than nearly every character's dashing (and should require that much time/effort to even get back into a position to fight them again).

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I still don't understand that with all the anti-spam mechanics in the game for a lot of moves, there isn't one for spotdodging/rolling. Even Kid Icarus: Uprising had a mechanic that discouraged dodge abuse...and yet, Sakurai didn't include something in Smash.

It just makes me wonder why the conflicting philosophies...

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You know what I mean, Spikemaster2014.

Anti-spam for all these mechanics in the game, but nah, nothing to prevent spamming of defensive mechanics.

Like, maybe if rolls/spotdodges received half their invincibility after the first repeated use and then lose ALL invincibility after the second one. Something like that.

And pretty much what Shaya said, the fact rolling across the stage is faster than dashing should not happen.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Not sure of the complaining or not, but like Xyro said this is the same feeling many of the players are feeling when the jump was made from Melee to Brawl. It's like the hardcore SFIII: Third Strike players hating on SFIV when it first came out. Just enjoy the game for what's it worth.

Xyro - 2 Stock Tournaments Please.

Trela - Send me the replays from our Winners Finals Set please.

Last edited:

Trela

Smash Lord
You can't send replays to each other or anything of the sort, so I'll have to record the set with.......you guessed it, my beautiful HD2160p iPhone28.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Lol oh god. Did you see anything to help you with the Diddy Match up? Was my SD beautiful.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lol oh god. Did you see anything to help you with the Diddy Match up? Was my SD beautiful.
Every SD you make is worth a good dollar amount in prize money.

MAI...PRIZE...MONEH!!!1!1!!

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Winners Finals I SD about 5 times.
Losers Finals I SD about 2 times.

I really hope Diddy's recovery can't be that bad when Wii U comes out.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't think it's the recovery.

After a certain number of SDs, it becomes more of a uh... USER error.

Trela

Smash Lord
Your SDs were on-point, dawg. And I had to make a few adaptations to your one banana/new side-B that goes across the globe/50% combos along with kill power. It was a good set regardless :)

I think at this point, I may very well be in-favor of 2 stocks as well, but I'll get more into my reasoning later. I could still work with 3 stocks, but....I dunno man....

Top Bottom