• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I left all my stuff there again .. including my phone charger ><, so I'll be back sometime today

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Went through all the stages. I have a list of what I feel can be legal.

I'll list them when I get home and I need yalls feed back cause I'll def cut a few. Some of them I'm iffy on.

Gea

Smash Master
Really, since it's the 3DS I advocate full list. May as well test. Bans can easily come after the first tournament for anything totally off the wall. I hate how reserved most stage lists are right now. Test test test

Last edited:

Xyro77

Ok here is a ROUGH DRAFT of a stage set i wish to use for the TGC series. I need you guys to give me feedback and i will most def bend on some things but not everything. If i am missing something, please let me know and ill see about adding it in. Remember, assuming the WiiU version comes out on Nov 21st, this will be the only time i ever use a 3ds ruleset because the 3ds will then be used as a controller for the wiiu version and thus eliminating the need for the inferior 3ds system/game.

STAGES

Battle Field=Starter
Final Destination=Starter
Yoshi Island Brawl=Starter

Jungle Japes=Counter Pick
Brinstar=Counter Pick
Arena Ferox=Counter Pick
Prism Tower=Counter Pick
Guar Plain=Counter Pick

Boxing Ring=help me decide.
Tortimer Island=help me decide
Paper Mario=help me decide

Other than the obvious FD versions of all stages in the game, i feel like the stages i listed above i are decent enough to be allowed in tournament play. If you have any extra stages you would like to suggest, please feel free.

Before you begin typing a huge ass rant about how XYZ should be banned, please note that chaingrabs do not exist so stages with walls or "walk offs" are not free KOs like they were for brawl ICs, brawl DDD, brawl Falco, brawl Pikachu....etc. There are also no issues with water because you cant swim in this game. Brawl MK doesnt exist so sharking isnt a big deal as far as we know.

Yes, some stages have high/low ceilings and there is a purpose to these stages being legal. A low ceiling helps characters who cant kill vertically easily while a high ceiling helps characters survive a character who can kill easily with a verticle attack. This is the very essence of what "counter picking a stage" means in smash. So many people have lost the ability to CP or fight on a CP because they are use to going to FD every stage so please think about CPs as "how does this help characters" instead of "wtf i HATE this stage."

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
guar plains seems way too big to play on, and will very much promote circle camping. Idk how I feel about that stage at all. Same thoughts on boxing ring

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Looking for players who are willing to play against an old-timer looking to get back into the game. 3DS friend code is 2251-5184-4442. Name is Austin.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
STAGES

Battle Field=Starter
Final Destination=Starter
Yoshi Island Brawl=Starter

Jungle Japes=Counter Pick
Brinstar=Counter Pick
Arena Ferox=Counter Pick
Prism Tower=Counter Pick
Guar Plain=Counter Pick

Boxing Ring=help me decide.
Tortimer Island=help me decide
Paper Mario=help me decide
After messing around with all these stages a bit, here are my thoughts so far.

Jungle Japes = I really like this as a stage now since they got rid of the ridiculously high ceiling and with the new ledge mechanic falling in the water won't be a problem unless you mess up yourself.

Brinstar= With all the problems circling this stage from brawl gone, it should def be allowed back again.

Arena Ferox= Iffy on this one due to some of the impassible walls on multiple transformations, not sure how much it would promote camping due to the limited time they appear but this stage is debatable atm.

Prism Tower= Nice delphino-esque stage, no hazards to screw anyone up and the transformations aren't anything crazy.

Guar Plain= Way too big, will most definitely promote circle camping and sharking, should not be allowed.

Boxing Ring= Same reason as guar plains, way too easy to camp the lights.

Tortimer Island= My only real problem with this stage is that when a shark or kapp'n appear, the screen zooms aaaaaall the way out to them if you're on the other side, but really it seems fine besides that.

Paper Mario= I was ok with it til I got to the 3rd transformation, that one is just silly.

and to add to it, I'd say consider reset bomb forest, the walls on the 2nd part are breakable so someone can't abuse them to camp.

Spirit tracks doesn't seem bad either, everyone said it was like a big blue stage but it's nowhere near that bad. It would be a nice stage to promote close quarters combat since there's nowhere to run to.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Hm in regards for the All FD enabled stages, aren't there slight differences in each stage? They're not all a cookie cutter FD stages. Some stages have higher ceilings than others and some stages have a wall to cling to vs a floating stage.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
After using Sheik more, I'm actually really liking her. I guess I didn't at first because she's different and stuff than what I was used to, but now that I'm used to this new Sheik, she's a lot of fun. I may actually pick her over Bowser, I dunno.

Robin's a lot of fun too. The Falco nerfs are really sad to me though. I've tried using him occasionally and it's just... bleh. It's like playing a much worse version of Wolf.

:059:

Xyro77

There really isn't enough difference between each FD to warrant a "starter FD" and a "counter pick FD"

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Them salad days cy. Good record, but my favorite from his is still rock n roll night club.. dum da da dum dum

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
IMO Reset Bomb Forest > Ferox, Japes, etc
Second transformation isn't as janky as first appearance. There are 3 platforms which are permanent while the rest (like that alcove thing towards the left) are destroyable parts; much like castle siege. All the main platforms have ledges. The spiny snake at the bottom is pretty tame, it's about the same height down as japes water, and those spikes don't have extremely high kill power, not killing a character like Falco at 130%+.

I find Ferox way too obtrusive to play on, transformations just destroy traditional play. It turns into cave of immortality for really long periods of time.
I would've been perfectly fine with Japes had it not been for the speed of the water in this. There is close to no surviving with any character upon entering water, even on the far right side.

CY

Smash Ace
Them salad days cy. Good record, but my favorite from his is still rock n roll night club.. dum da da dum dum
My favorite album overall is 2 but two of my favorite songs, Rock and Roll Night Club and She's Really All I Need, come off of Rock and Roll Night Club. Baby's Wearing Blue Jeans, too! I like all of his stuff.

:D

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There really isn't enough difference between each FD to warrant a "starter FD" and a "counter pick FD"
Some FDs have walls that reach down to the bottom blastzones. Like the Pac-Man arcade level.
That's already starkly different than an omega Battlefield. :applejack:

Last edited:

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Metaknight is so bad it makes my heart smile. All he can do now is approach with dair and dash grab. I won't be surprised if he's low tier

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Does anyone know how to set the time limit when you're playing stock matches? I may be blind, but I cannot find it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Does anyone know how to set the time limit when you're playing stock matches? I may be blind, but I cannot find it.
Make sure you have all stages unlocked. Then just keep playing matches, and you'll get it eventually.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Anybody want to play tonight? My Diddy looking for blood.
Flip, get on Skype later. It helps us coordinate better.

Xyro, will you ban the Pikachu+GW tech? It's gonna get worse and worse before TGC. It is one of those rare occasions where it's the game mechanics doing 99% of the work, not the players.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
There isn't a doubt in my mind that Xyro will ban that. He's never been about anything that blatantly over-powered since the day I met him and the "tech" would do nothing but discourage doubles attendance. That takes not thinking and spamming Metaknight's tornado to a whole new level. I'm seriously reading some of NY/NJ's statuses about whether or not to ban it and don't even understand how people can be so "open-minded" to a ruleset yet at the same time won't allow custom moves or ban Metaknight for a season. They're actually bringing up the 'too soon' argument. Too soon for what? Someone to repeatedly win 95% of the tournaments they enter and not having anyone else joining doubles for the remainder of Smash 4's competitive lifespan?

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
IMO Reset Bomb Forest > Ferox, Japes, etc
Second transformation isn't as janky as first appearance. There are 3 platforms which are permanent while the rest (like that alcove thing towards the left) are destroyable parts; much like castle siege. All the main platforms have ledges. The spiny snake at the bottom is pretty tame, it's about the same height down as japes water, and those spikes don't have extremely high kill power, not killing a character like Falco at 130%+.

I find Ferox way too obtrusive to play on, transformations just destroy traditional play. It turns into cave of immortality for really long periods of time.
I would've been perfectly fine with Japes had it not been for the speed of the water in this. There is close to no surviving with any character upon entering water, even on the far right side.

AREN'T YOU GLAD I TOLD U ABOUT RESET BOMB FOREST.

Japes is fine honestly, you aren't going to hit the water considering the way the ledges work now and it's basically no different from just falling into a deadzone in any other stage, shouldn't be considered an issue.

Top Bottom