• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Off topic but I got to play with lucina for 3 hours straight today. Online/offline with people and CPUs.

I really dislike her......a lot.

This is not good :(

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Peach is so ****ing annoying to play as in this game ugh she lacks all sorts of depth that made her appealing to use.
.....I'm thinking about maining Sheik, ZSS, Greninja, Robin, Fox or Yoshi.

z00ted

Starting to think that Yoshi's easily the most entertaining characters to use while still being very good.
This game's gonna be ridiculously fun on the Wii U version as long as people don't camp like crazy.

There's already VERY obvious signs that it could develop into what Brawl was regarding shields and projectiles but top tiered characters' speed should be able to take care of that though.

Xyro77

No one knows who the top tiers are, slush, but I really can't see she being less than high tier unless something like a pika/falco chain grab appears or if a Metaknight appears.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Does anyone know if the Japanese and North American servers are linked? I just went into my first For Glory game, got matched against a player with Kanji in his name, then played the laggiest POS game I've ever seen. Then second player it matched me with also had a name full of Kanji, so I just quit out because I was frustrated and didn't want to have more flashbacks to Brawl's online mode.

Were these just American players that put Kanji in their name, and the lag was because of ****ty Nintendo NA servers, or was I really on the Japanese server or something? Either way it's unbelievable. I'm probably going to throw this game away in frustration if the online play is just as bad as Brawl's. I'm on 100 mbps cable Internet, so my speeds are not the problem.

Edit: Looked into it some more, apparently you can be matched against players in other regions. And there are no servers, it's P2P. What the actual ****.

Edit 2: Just refreshed lobby until I got a player with an English name. Game ran fine. Guess I just have to refresh until I get NA players.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No one knows who the top tiers are, slush, but I really can't see she being less than high tier unless something like a pika/falco chain grab appears or if a Metaknight appears.
Oh I meant to say possibly playing Yoshi.

But from what I read all day from both snoreboreds and 4chins they just praise how strong yoshi is or how they got their asses beaten to a pulp by one when they faced against one that knew what to do.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Literally played smash 4 today for 12 hours straight with people. I can safely say this game is amazing. I don't get the same ugly feeling like I did with Brawl in the later years. I want to keep playing and learning.

Although 3DS gives limitations. The Wii U version may be the greatest game to come.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Not to me. It's way more balanced imo and has stuff added and taken away. It doesn't feel like Brawl. There's just some things I can't do in here that I could do in Brawl or vice versa. Feels like it's own game for me at this point.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
To be honest. I think Diddy Kong is still pretty good. His movement with pop gun b reversal cancel is really strong.

Denti

Smash Master
Not to me. It's way more balanced imo and has stuff added and taken away. It doesn't feel like Brawl. There's just some things I can't do in here that I could do in Brawl or vice versa. Feels like it's own game for me at this point.
Outside of the low tiers I feel like every mid tier can do it. Top tiers in this game are basically only 55/45 with mid tiers. Not lile Brawl where there was a fine line between tiers.

It feels like neutral game was SUPER emphasized in this game. Nobody has anything stupid in neutral and that is super key in a game like Smash.

Last edited:

z00ted

Smash 3DS controls and online suck **** holy hell it's freakin 2014 and they still can't get their servers right. There's no way I'm even going to enter tournaments for this thing until the Wii U comes out. I'd rather play computers to learn a character's moveset. Can't even play someone in Houston without feeling handicapped. With that being said, I can definitely agree w/ Razer on most of what he wrote down. Wii U version is going to be wayyy too much fun for a good two years or so.

Also Fox's voice is cancer. If you value your life DO NOT trigger a Final Smash w/ him.

Last edited:

Zori

Smash Champion
The smash session we had yesterday was awesome! Haven't had that much fun and a while and now I have a handful of things I need to work on. Lost my voice and feel like crap again but the mega is here ;)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yesterday was very enjoyable. It's good to see people be motivated in Smash again after the damage Brawl did.

Xyro77

Yeah this game is new and its own game but it's def closer to brawl than any other game. That's not bad but I think it's prob one of the main reasons why this game doesn't wow me.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Friends letting me borrow his 3ds. Who wants to play WiFi. I'm In Houston btw

Is there any input lag in local play?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If there is any input lag in local play, it is very minimal. You will occasional get lag from connection issues, but it only lasts for maybe a second or two.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Wifi is garbage. I had less lag in For Glory mode than with people in TX and Houston like wttf. There's button lag and overall lag out the wang.

Local play feels good. I don't really feel button lag at all. There's the occasional lag spike for like a second or two like RT said. Local play is good overall. Just will suck when that tiny lag may come up in a crucial tourney situation like tripping.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, it will suck for sure. But yet another reason not to take the 3DS version too seriously. It's just a holdover until Nov 21, hopefully.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I think we should open up discussion for what stages should be legal for our tournaments in the beginning.

Obviously neutrals should be FD, BF and YI. The obvious no argument for CP is Prism Tower. It's similar to Delfino Plaza and such in Brawl. No hazards. We can make arguments for Brinstar too maybe. I'm against Japes though this time because you cannot recover from the water anymore and the blast zones are huge. It will go to gross camping and very hard to kill. I've also seen an argument for N's Castle or whatever. Apparently it's similar to Spear Pillar in Brawl where 3 pokemon show up. Although, the hazard effects aren't extreme like Spear Pillar. One pokemon shoot's a column of fire, one shoots light and the other does nothing. Apparently you can also see where these will land. Doesn't seem too crazy. Thoughts?

Sync.

Smash Champion
Razer you can't handle Mac, I already showed you last night lol. Also, my seeeeeecret character is ready for you too rat prince

Eh I think we should also offer a color blind rule on For Glory stages. Also some of them are different in regards to wall jumpers and size. We should separate at least by the walls.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Stages I see possible so far:

Neutral: BF, FD, and Yoshi's Island
Counterpick: Brinstar, Prism Tower, and Ferox.

As far as FDs go, there are three ways to handle it, but I won't discuss because I really don't care.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
If you ban FD, you ban 'em all. Chooser of FD gets to pick the type. Unless blastzones vary, I don't see how it's much of a discussion there. It's extremely dumb to always give someone access to FD when it's such a polarizing stage.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Wiiu>>>>>>>3ds
I agree, Nintendo is making us fools releasing 3ds version first, someone did their marketing homework. Also I'm not sure I want to buy that stock droppin piece of ass Wii u just for smash.

Last edited:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I'd be fine with FD always being a option. But it does give certain characters an advantage so its understandable if people dont. want. To me it seems like any character can do well on any playable stage in this game.

I havent done much online, but most fighting games that have online play have lag in them. Its a pretty normal thing. And I expect lag on the wii u version too. The wiiu version will be great, and will even probably be slightly upgraded mechanics wise. I just dont think there'll be too much of a difference. The game feels like a upgraded brawl. It'll get really campy, like plenty of competitive games. There's just a few more options in this one for the more aggressive player. Still fun for me, like all of smash has been.

Also Austin, she's evolving.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, but I was never the player who cared about stages much. As long as they are overall like a neutral, Im fine. In tournaments I would usually just let my opponent choose the stage or suggest smashville/battlefield

Top Bottom