• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'm a Marth main. A marth with breasts is fine too.

But there may be a tad of hyperbole there, as nothing from Lucina thus far has been shown to be objectively better at all.
since you are a mega marth knowledge dude, i got a few questions for you.

1. Who will you main in smash 4...Marth or Miss Marth or neither?

2. From what i've read/seen, Lucina does more damage than marth hit vs hit UNLESS Marth does tip damage. Having said that, over all, wouldn't you agree Marth mains generally hit with non tippers more than tippers? Watching your average marth video id assume more non tipper than tan tippers are landed. If so, Lucina would be better in general from a sheer "i do more damage than you" standpoint.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wow no automatic clipboard/otherwise option? **** Warchamp.

upload_2014-9-17_13-40-3.png

since you are a mega marth knowledge dude, i got a few questions for you.

1. Who will you main in smash 4...Marth or Miss Marth or neither?

2. From what i've read/seen, Lucina does more damage than marth hit vs hit UNLESS Marth does tip damage. Having said that, over all, wouldn't you agree Marth mains generally hit with non tippers more than tippers? Watching your average marth video id assume more non tipper than tan tippers are landed. If so, Lucina would be better in general from a sheer "i do more damage than you" standpoint.
1. I would say that my ability to use both will be congruent. Whether or not I use both or just one will have to wait until I get the game.
2. Unless Marth's non-tipper sword hit damage were nerfed (no ones sat down to check yet), Marth will out damage lucina on non-tipper hits that aren't smash attacks. Marth's non-tipper hits on aerials and tilts in Brawl are higher/the same than Lucina has in this game.
And no, I wouldn't say that at all. Dancing Blade, sure (and if her damage on that turns out much better than Marth, that could be something that makes her better overall). But the essential tools: Forward Air and Down tilt have to be tippered to be successful and the good ones will probably do so a hyper-majority of the time.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Wow no automatic clipboard/otherwise option? **** Warchamp.

View attachment 25345

1. I would say that my ability to use both will be congruent. Whether or not I use both or just one will have to wait until I get the game.
2. Unless Marth's non-tipper sword hit damage were nerfed (no ones sat down to check yet), Marth will out damage lucina on non-tipper hits that aren't smash attacks. Marth's non-tipper hits on aerials and tilts in Brawl are higher than Lucina has in this game.
And no, I wouldn't say that at all. Dancing Blade, sure (and if her damage on that turns out much better than Marth, that could be something that makes her better overall). But the essential tools: Forward Air and Down tilt have to be tippered to be successful and the good ones will probably do so a hyper-majority of the time.
no one has sat down and did a damage report on his attacks? Lucinas was done almost day one.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
no one has sat down and did a damage report on his attacks? Lucinas was done almost day one.
Not completely conclusive, but from what I just spotted, yeah, Marth's untippered attack damages have been nerfed to correlate with Lucina's stuff. Mostly 1% less on untippered hits and 2-3% more on tippered.

Kinda sucks. Oh well :[

Last edited:

Xyro77

Not completely conclusive, but from what I just spotted, yeah, Marth's untippered attack damages have been nerfed to correlate with Lucina's stuff. Mostly 1% less on untippered hits and 2-3% more on tippered.

Kinda sucks. Oh well :[
You should main Marth
ill main Lucina

we ditto
you lose

you go back to your island crying.

deal?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lucina will lose the match up. That I'm at least pretty sure of.
Wouldn't say by much / in a way that makes it impossible for Lucina or anything, but yeah, two spacing characters with the same range, except one will kill 40% earlier than the other.

And I may still just use Lucina anyway.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Lucina will lose the match up. That I'm at least pretty sure of.
Wouldn't say by much / in a way that makes it impossible for Lucina or anything, but yeah, two spacing characters with the same range, except one will kill 40% earlier than the other.

And I may still just use Lucina anyway.
Why drop your man for Lucina?

also, do you know why the smash 4 icons that represent our mains are not showing up? on 64/melee/brawl/pm work

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There aren't official icons/stuff for all the characters yet, hence why its being held back.

I'm a fire Emblem nut Xyro, and I also love Kirby games. Gameplay wise I prefer certain things, and I'm pretty certain I would not lose some of the main core aspects of Marth that I enjoy by playing Lucina, especially if she just overall is stronger/more viable.

Maximising punishes / reactive play is what I love about Marth, and I love being able to unlock the potential of other characters in a similar manner (do you remember how my Falco played in Brawl? :p) so I'm not too fussed. I do play to win tournaments, hopefully I'll be able to do that with someone I enjoy the most, but it isn't always possible. And I'm yet to see if I enjoy other characters more anyway!

Last edited:

Xyro77

There aren't official icons/stuff for all the characters yet, hence why its being held back.

I'm a fire Emblem nut Xyro, and I also love Kirby games. Gameplay wise I prefer certain things, and I'm pretty certain I would not lose some of the main core aspects of Marth that I enjoy by playing Lucina, especially if she just overall is stronger/more viable.

Maximising punishes / reactive play is what I love about Marth, and I love being able to unlock the potential of other characters in a similar manner (do you remember how my Falco played in Brawl? :p) so I'm not too fussed. I do play to win tournaments, hopefully I'll be able to do that with someone I enjoy the most, but it isn't always possible. And I'm yet to see if I enjoy other characters more anyway!
I wish i had a character like samus that could play like brawl samus :(

You are lucky that marth plays pretty much the same in every game.

They're a Premium feature atm.
but they will be open to regular users once they are all complete right?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I wish i had a character like samus that could play like brawl samus :(

You are lucky that marth plays pretty much the same in every game.
He does play differently in every game, in Melee it's Fair to Grab over and over and hope you kill them before you cannot combo them anymore, and dying the moment you **** up. In Brawl it's punishpunishpunishpunishpunishpunish maybe do something tricky punishpunishpunish ****WHYWOULDIDOLPHINSLASHORJUMPTHERE punish punish punish.

Punish = some combination of shield, fair, dancing blade and down tilt.

In this it's going to be like... roll backwards. maybe punish. Jump in the air and wait a bit and then jump again before fast falling their poor reactions to the bait.
I'll probably look at ensuring I can always get edge guard scenarios where the person will be grabbing the ledge without invincibility while I have an onstage position.

I'll be still looking at a down tilt/dancing blade focused game for Marth in this, but I'm not really certain what will be best. The shieldbreaker options giving him phantasm-esque could really be a huge difference and may end up being better than the default (dashing and dancing blade for punishing rolls has way too much commitment in Brawl, so an option that will cover that better/easier can be a god send).

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ness with Lucas specials?

Some of the custom specials she has may give you that feeling back?
Otherwise maybe Bowser Jr/Palutena/Rosalina?

Ness and Bowser Jr are probably going to be high/top tier in this game though.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Ness with Lucas specials?

Some of the custom specials she has may give you that feeling back?
Otherwise maybe Bowser Jr/Palutena/Rosalina?

Ness and Bowser Jr are probably going to be high/top tier in this game though.
palutena seems cool but def not Samus-ish.

BJ is meh unless you have a hot......nvm

Rosalina by herself would be sweet but i cant manage 2 characters at once.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Reading these tips in the demo, it's funny how much they go into detail about some stuff people are just figuring out. They even acknowledge stuff like SDI and short hopping.

Gotta read the tips...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
SDI is easier to say than hitstun shuffling.

But it really makes you wonder if there is stuff people have not yet discovered in previous Smash games, or ever will...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Eh, I could prefer saying "Shuffle DI" over Smash DI. Or just SI for shuffling inputs. But old habits die hard.
I think it would be worthwhile to sit down and try to find better terms for various things, using various standard terms that we're given (like the word Pivot) and conjoining the disparities that exist between Melee/Brawl (like "shield dropping" in Melee [possibly the official term?] being what we call Platform Drop OoS).

It's still a mystery (data wise) why Marth's third "swing" on his neutral air has considerably more kill power (it's actually going to have to be the first thing I test when I get my hands on the game, if that's still there: GLORIOUS). I wonder if it would've ever been found if I didn't spend so long practising and testing the move, haha.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Ness with Lucas specials (up b/side-b) and learning Rosalina seem like good choices then? :p
actually, i totally forgot about Mii Gunner. I got to play him on the full japanese version and he is MUCH better than samus.

Xyro77

I won't play this game if Miis aren't BANNED.

Probably.
why? id understand if it relates to custom (aka TRASH) moves. But they have a default move set. Mii Gunner has a mix of falcon/fox/samus moves. its super cool imo.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
No it's because they're AMAZING.
Like really really amazing. In the "I will just play these at events the first time I even get to play, I don't give a ****" type of way.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I'm really liking how smash 4 is looking atm. Obviously this game will have tiers and dominating characters, but at this point it looks like there isn't a Brawl MK type character that would ruin the game. It looks like they've tried to fix Brawl issues and have also given characters options. I hope it continues down this path possibly giving more mid tiers a chance to win out.

Xyro77

I'm really liking how smash 4 is looking atm. Obviously this game will have tiers and dominating characters, but at this point it looks like there isn't a Brawl MK type character that would ruin the game. It looks like they've tried to fix Brawl issues and have also given characters options. I hope it continues down this path possibly giving more mid tiers a chance to win out.
Day 4.

You can't rule out anything.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
I'm confused, Allan. Are you looking for a new main because you think Samus is bad in Smash 4, or because it looks like she plays differently? Because if I remember correctly, aren't most people saying that Samus was buffed in Smash 4?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He wants a character that won't have many people playing as them rather than one that he actually likes, which he interprets as being a Low-Tier Warrior. In other words, he wants to play as the (Brawl) Samus of this game, and he's tired of the same boring ****.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
($1100 pot bonus warning)
Okay, Guys, it's tournament almost season in Nebraska

October 11th is Roll Tier X4($1100 total pot bonuses), which features $500 pot bonuses for both melee and PM each and $100 on a free sm4sh tournament (must sign up for at least 1 other event to register for it and byo3ds), free Pizza from Little Caesars and free Venue fee amongst tons of other hype bonuses!

However, you must PRE-REGISTER for this event!

October 18th is IT HAS BEGIN (possible pot bonuses TBA), which features 64, brawl and the very first open sm4sh tournament Nebraska smash is running, Free Pizza from Little Caesars and free venue amongst tons of other awesome bonuses!

RTx4
https://www.facebook.com/events/334665033369521/363630763806281/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

http://smashboards.com/…/oct-11-2014-roll-tier-x4-remix-11…/

IT HAS BEGUN

https://www.facebook.com/events/1453310801604341/?ref=70

http://smashboards.com/…/oct-18-2014-it-has-begun-ne-first…/

Please, sign up for Roll Tier X4 if you haven't already
https://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/42457

Xyro77

He wants a character that won't have many people playing as them rather than one that he actually likes, which he interprets as being a Low-Tier Warrior. In other words, he wants to play as the (Brawl) Samus of this game, and he's tired of the same boring ****.

"He wants a character that won't have many people playing as them rather than one that he actually likes"

I don't like dk and no one will end up playing as him. So thats a perfect fit for that" description, right? F NO! I hate DK and have zero interest in ever using him.

"which he interprets as being a Low-Tier Warrior"

I have no idea what will be low tier other than Ganon. Even so, i already said ill never do low tier again unless Shulk magically becomes low tier.

"In other words, he wants to play as the (Brawl) Samus of this game, and he's tired of the same boring ****."

Id like to play somone who is kinda like brawl samus but NOT brawl samus. you know?

Look

I have a kid, job and starting school again in Jan. These things MUST be done because of bills and/or i need to be able to live on my own to help provide for my daughter. In 2008, i didn't care about school and did not have a child so smash took up 90% of my time. Having said that, i don't wanna use someone who will be flooded with billions of users because it will require time/energy i don't have to spend on that character and stay "on top."

so,,,

I want to use someone i still enjoy but also a someone who wont be too common in the tournament scene. That way i wont be passed up every 3 weeks (and thus have to go back to the time chamber and train more to get caught up) AND ill be a unique sight when i play in tournaments. I pretty much want to redo what i did with samus: become the best, not worry about others taking my place and having the crowds form behind me because i do things with a bad character that no one else can.

I'm confused, Allan. Are you looking for a new main because you think Samus is bad in Smash 4, or because it looks like she plays differently? Because if I remember correctly, aren't most people saying that Samus was buffed in Smash 4?
After playing the Wiiu demo/3ds demo and full japanese version, i have learned that.....

On the ground, Samus has received a major buff. Knockback and speed of her grounded moves have increased greatly (damage stayed about the same give or take 1%). Her projectiles and Zair have been nerfed. She cannot missile cancel or do anything that came with the ability to missile cancel. She can't double zair in a full hop (major loss). Her zair does not do tipped damage/extra knockback anymore. She has lost the ability to renew her invincibility frames when she retethers on the ledge. Speaking of the ledge, if you remember how i play, i stay mostly near or on the ledge because its very safe and reduces the options the opponent has while buffing my style of play. So yeah having said all that, the ledge is mega nerfed now in smash 4 so my entire strat is GONE.

having said all of that, i would have to relearn samus. I used her in melee and brawl so if i used her again in smash 4 it would be my 3rd time to relearn her. I REALLY dont wanna do that. I wanna do someone fresh and IF POSSIBLE someone who resemble Brawl Samus style play i created. Thats all.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, did you like playing ROB in Brawl? He received a few buffs and very few nerfs, so he's slightly better than he was in Brawl. He had a few minor changes, but he won't play drastically different from what I could tell.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Tbh, I only used Rob cause Hugs said he felt like a better samus and that he was a better teams char than samus.

He was right but I don't really like him. The Lezbot never passed the lesbian so I don't really ever us him.

Top Bottom