• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Why is Houston v Dallas a thing? I've hung out with them in Dallas and I think the people there are fine.
Its just a rivalry thing between the two strongest cities a while back. Some people have thin skin and cry a small river about it, but it never goes beyond the type of trash talk that goes on in Houston vs Houston.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That's because we generally know each other well enough to not let our obviously really stupid trash talk bother us.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Most of the Dallas players have known us for a while too.

Anyway new patch is rumored to hit Friday right before/during 2 TX majors.

This kind of makes me wonder. If a patch hits in the middle of a multi-day tournament, what do you do? Ignore it for the weekend I suppose right?

I really can't wait to see Nintendo snipe something like Apex with a patch on a Saturday morning.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is always a concern of any TO. It can be assumed this update will have some sort of balance update, since it includes new stages and such. Since this update is coming with prior notice, I think it should be required before the tourney. Then again, who knows what changes are in it, both balance changes AND potential new glitches...

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Well considering people travelling to your venue from other cities/states/countries with potential setups, if the patch rolls out when they are on the way, then what?

Most major events have internet at the venue, but if its a big patch... do you have time to update dozens of setups?

On the bright side (depending on your perspective) all the DLC stages appear to be complete trash for competitive play. I'd love to see how great bay looks with the new water mechanics, but all of these throwback stages really suck (and they are ugly). I wish the brawl/melee stages on 3ds were on Wii U.

Also the lack of FoD in HD is a disgrace. What a missed opportunity.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You also have the flip side where local people will have updated Wii Us. It's a logistics nightmare to say the least. And again, there may be some crazy glitch or something stupid.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
What is wrong with these stages? Halberd would be worse than these in my book.

Also, isn't Castle64 legal in Smash 64?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hyrule is too big. You are asking for people to run away and camp, especially in this game where you have limited movement options.

Peach's Castle might be okay as a CP, but it remains to be seen.

Definitley need to play the first, but these are just initial impressions.

Last edited:

Xyro77

If Smash 4 DreamLand is the DL64 version then Castle 64 she be the C64. Both have small ceilings. Shouldn't be an issue if you are fixed go chase someone up the platforms. In fact it is pretty dangerous cause you could die at like 70% no hoo-ha needed.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Also, how can people run away any more on that stage than Kongo 64 or any other stage?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hyrule 64 stage size lends itself to be large and encouraging running away and camping. Assuming it is Big Battlefield sized, would you make that legal too then? Because I sure would love to have a Sonic run away for 7 minutes.

In other words, I think this stage was brought back specificially for 8-player Smash. I might be wrong, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Please add Hyrule Castle 64. Im gonna have fun there ;)

Seriously tho, if the blastzones are normal and the tornado doesn't kill, should be ok.

Last edited:

Xyro77

If it's big battlefield big in size AND ceiling then yeah I'll ban it.

But competitive smash 64 has it legal and that game has the same movement options (though slower) as smash 4.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If it's big battlefield big in size AND ceiling then yeah I'll ban it.

But competitive smash 64 has it legal and that game has the same movement options (though slower) as smash 4.
Flawless logic except the part where a fast character can literally outrun and camp slower characters on any big stage.

This is not Smash 64, this is Smash 4, where timeouts will happen and people will play super lame if you give them the chance.

Xyro77

Flawless logic except the part where a fast character can literally outrun and camp slower characters on any big stage.

This is not Smash 64, this is Smash 4, where timeouts will happen and people will play super lame if you give them the chance.
Then i guess fox vs ganon on any stage except FD should be banned? Ganon will never catch fox and fox will ALWAYS have the percent lead due to lasers and speed.

You cant hold the game's stages back simply because you dont want to see camp/defensive play. Camp/defensive play is a solid/effective/legit way to play smash. We are not here to butcher a game based on how entertaining it is to watch.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Okay, then let's make Windy Hill Zone and Mario Galaxy legal.

Beyond the camping issues and them being too large, there is no reason for them to not be legal. In fact, these may be the only reason people don't want them legal.

Bring back Kongo 64 as well. It was widely banned because of circle camping but since you just said that doesn't matter...

You see the problem here? You're being inconsistent in your stance.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Hyrule was good in Smash 64, cause even with the running, one combo = death usually. Fox's laser camp was beatable.

Xyro77

Okay, then let's make Windy Hill Zone and Mario Galaxy legal.
There is a line that i can cross and still be ok in the eyes of the public. Adding 2, 3, 4, 5 more stages is pushing it too much.

Beyond the camping issues and them being too large, there is no reason for them to not be legal. In fact, these may be the only reason people don't want them legal.
Camping can be done on any stage so that shouldn't be considered.

"too large" is relative.

Bring back Kongo 64 as well. It was widely banned because of circle camping but since you just said that doesn't matter...
Kongo 64 is legal. been legal since day 1. people dont circle camp/run. Villager MIGHT be an issue but not that his balloons have gas, he shouldnt be an issue.

You see the problem here? You're being inconsistent in your stance.
i see no problems.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I guess you need to have someone like Trela or Razer to suffer against something degenerate before you'll agree.

I'm all for more stage variety but not if it makes the game more unbearable. Smaller stages can force people to approach and make camping a less viable strategy. By allowing big stages, you're only encouraging camping, intentional or not.

And your logic for adding too many stages at once is silly. Just add Windy Hill Zone or Mario Galaxy to TGC4 and see what people say. More stages is more variety, right? I believe this was part of the original reasoning for Coliseum and Wii Fit Studio to be legal.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I guess you need to have someone like Trela or Razer to suffer against something degenerate before you'll agree.
Razer wanted Diddy banned. Did i do it? no.
He and others wanted WiiFit stage and FE stage banned. Did i do it? no.

I'm all for more stage variety but not if it makes the game more unbearable. Smaller stages can force people to approach and make camping a less viable strategy. By allowing big stages, you're only encouraging camping, intentional or not.
"unbearable" is an opinion. An opinion owned particularly by people who just don't like or don't want certain aspects of a game. They dont want to "deal with it" so they complain and make **** up to justify their wants/lack of work. There is nothing wrong with a stage promoting defensive play. Its part of life.

And your logic for adding too many stages at once is silly. Just add Windy Hill Zone or Mario Galaxy to TGC4 and see what people say. More stages is more variety, right? I believe this was part of the original reasoning for Coliseum and Wii Fit Studio to be legal.
I don't add stages just to add stages. I add stages because there is no reason any more to keep them banned. We have covered this at length many time.

Also, let me give you an example of what "pushing the line" means.

If the state of TX told people "its ok to own a gun but keep it at your house." The 99% of the public would be ok with it. BattleField/FD/SV.
If the state of TX told people "its ok to own a gun at your house as well as be able to carry it on your person in the streets." More people would start to question things but prob not get too upset over it. Halberd/Lylat/WiiFit/stadium 2....etc.
If the state of TX told people "its ok to own a gun at home, carry it on you in the streets AND take it into any building you wish (DayCare/Schools/Hospitals/Grocery stores/Movie theaters/Amusment parks....etc" The people would have a huge uproar about this and it would become a large issue. Mario Galaxy/Windy Zone/new pork city/termple/norfair/ridely level/doctor mario level...etc.

In other words, you can only push so far before people cry like babies.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't add stages just to add stages. I add stages because there is no reason any more to keep them banned. We have covered this at length many time.
Let's turn this around then. You don't have to keep a stage legal just because it was legal in a previous title. Different game, different mechanics, different circumstances and philosophies.

You have to evaluate stages based on the current game's environment. Saying it shoud be legal because it was legal in 64 but not understanding WHY it was legal in 64 reeks of poor reasoning.

Edit: i just remembered, Hyrule is banned in 64. People only go there due to gentleman's agreement nowadays. http://smashboards.com/rulesets/smash-64/

It goes without saying some testing needs to be done, but I think this stage will end up banned by a large margin.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I am not keeping stages legal cause they were or were not legal previously.

I already said that it is likely that Castle 64 will be the Smash 64 version (blast zone wise) since DL64 in Smash 4 is the same or close to smash 64 version.

I don't have these stages yet and havnt edited my rules so why are you ALREADY crying?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Who says I was crying? I am merely stating you be careful in your criteria in what stages to add. Not just add because "more variety."

But if you've already made up your mind, and knowing you, you probably already have...

Xyro77

So I guess we get 4 stages on Friday?

Peach 64=legal
Castle 64=maybe legal
Dr Mario (New)=banned
Great Bay (Melee)=banned

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I thought Great Bay was 3DS only. It would function like the original since no swimming on 3DS.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, 3DS can deal with that garbage. No sane person would make it legal anyways.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I agree, we should all just go back to 1.0 for San Japan. Pre-patch Diddy ;)

Last edited:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Please don't be silly @ RT RT & @ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer . Smash 64 has Hyrule legal so it shouldn't be an issue. competitive smash 64 has it legal and that game has the same movement options (though slower) as smash 4. And it is no different than Kongo64. Players can circle camp just as easy. Case closed.

/s

Xyro77

Please don't be silly @ RT RT & @ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer . Smash 64 has Hyrule legal so it shouldn't be an issue. competitive smash 64 has it legal and that game has the same movement options (though slower) as smash 4. And it is no different than Kongo64. Players can circle camp just as easy. Case closed.

/s
****ing genius^

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom